Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Does anyone have a moon garden?, 1 by pennefeather

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pennefeather

In reply to: Does anyone have a moon garden?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Does anyone have a moon garden?
pennefeather wrote:
Well, here is my update, and it is not a pretty picture. I had envisoned a pretty flowering garden to look at right outside my door. Instead I have a rabbit feast. They have eaten all the lilies before they bloomed, the liatris, the buds from my baby swan coneflowers, and in general made a mess. I have never had rabbits eat my lilies in the front of the house, but I guess the backyard is a totally different subject. I am so disappointed.

Because this garden is so visible, I couldn't leave it a mess of half eaten plants. Instead, I have transplanted yellow coreopsis (grows like a weed here), added more ornamental grass, and some salvia. My foxglove and astilbe are fine but I don't have flowers now. The astilbe is growing quickly, but they were small seedlings that I purchased. The foxglove I started from seed, and has really been growing, but I don't think that they bloom until the end of summer.

I have a new rabbit "deterrent" spray that I am trying. It's a strong cinammon oil spray that is supposed to last 30 days. I figure that I will spray again in two week, just in case.

This is the only lily out of fify that "bloomed". All the others had their buds and leaves chewed off.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 11:04 AM