Ric and Holly’s Spring Plant Swap May 16th

Crozet, VA

Hi Everyone - I am so glad that things seem to be moving right along with the planning of the swap. Holly, put down 2 guests, John and myself for sure. There is a possibility that my niece and maybe her family will come for the day too.
I will let you know if she does decide to join us.

At this point, I have no idea what I might bring to trade. Will have to wait a bit longer and see what begins to pop through. I will now start watching this thread so that I don't miss anything. I hope that everyone is having a great day.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yay, double- we met your niece at Longwood.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome Catbird and Ruby really looking forward to having you all here.
Ruby, I would love to meet your niece and her family bring them all. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bumpin it up.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It seems so far away but I can't wait.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, just wait till the time gets closer the anticipation just builds and builds. I was just going over the list of things I want/need done before the swap and thinking better get Ric moving. LOL

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Oh man! I would love love love to attend! Unfortunately I will be in VA from the first of May until the end of June, my trips to MD will be very limited until my mom returns from her trip during that time. :( :( I don't think I can sqeeze a "day trip" out of it with drive time from there. sniff sniff sniffle!

That's too bad, jody!
I am watching a sprout of miniature iris, and petasites, from you for signs of new growth.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

my petasites is already up and running so let me know if you need more. I've got plenty ;)

I will be in MD frequently until first of May so shouldn't be a problem getting some to you if needed.

jody, you are so generous! I'd better wait and see if it has a fighting chance in the current location before asking for any more.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jody we would have loved to have you come. I missed your swap last year. I think we were traveling at the time. If there is any chance you might get up please let me know so I can put you on the address and directions list. Holly

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Jody, if you have some spare Petasites, would love to try this plant. I am going to Holly's swap. Thanks, Judy Showers

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just started a thread for those of you that would like to set up a Golf date. There is a link on the 4th post down from the top of this thread that will take you over to the new thread.
and here is the same link, too.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/966517/

I'll be getting together some hotel info for you this week also and post that soon.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WHO was it that was once talking about a "black garden"??????
I know it was someone here......cause I read it....:o)

I just came home from an early shopping trip to "Maryland Flower and Foliage" and they had almost black Violas...those little pansies.....

Whoever you are--come forth asap--as the violas always sell out before the regular garden shopping starts....and I will be glad to go down and pick some up for you....It's only about 15 min. from my house.....

Full flat (mixed colors or all the same) of 6 MP's for $10. That is 36 plants!
That is their regular price on all MP's....Individually--they are $2 each (6 plants)...

Gita

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know I mentioned it once my hubby said he'd like flowers if there were black ones and I said "there are!"
Not setting a black garden up anytime soon, though. Must be someone else out there also.

Gita- it may have been something I said. But I'm not that into it--just remarking since finding Black ee's last year and thinking they were pretty cool. But if it WAS me, thanks for thinking of me!

Crozet, VA

Gita, Sharon Brown in Kentucky was planning to plant a black flower garden. Could it be her that you are thinking of?

Okay, I need to root around the forum and find the other threads pertaining to the swap and get in the mood for it. I definitely need to sign my name to a list of folks who will need directions to Holly's place. Just seeing her place will be extra exciting for me because I have always loved the pictures she has posted of her gardens.

It is Monday and a new week. Here is hoping that everyone has a good week.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ruby, you found the right place... and you're already on the list at the top! Is John coming with you, or will we need to threaten him with, umm, I don't know, being severely beaten about the head and shoulders with daffodil blooms, or worms in his coffee, or something in order to make him cave and agree to come along?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Jill, just tell him that you'll take some of his wire grass and berry brambles in trade and he'll be there, LOL.

;)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Noooooooo! *runs & hides*

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Jody,

I am helping my daughter start her first gardens in a place where there is almost no sun for more than 2 hours a day. I would love to add some of your petasites to the shade plants that I am buying, sharing and collecting for her. The terrain there is just so beautifully interesting with many levels of hugh rock plateaus (many levels and many plateaus) so it really will take a lot to make it look like much.

Thank you

Teri

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 6:54 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Roses, I'm confused... I can't find your post with the cuttings, and I think Jody isn't coming to Holly's swap because she (Jody) is hosting another swap further south on the same day.

Sorry, Critter,

My post is on the other thread that Holly started for her swap. I guess I just skimmed over the posts and only saw another person requesting the petasites from her.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Jody, how about some stinkweed? (post # 6339736) ;-)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

stinkweed indeed! LOL

Roses, I won't be at the swap but I'd be happy to send a box to Hollys the week of the swap with plants for both you and button so long as Holly doesn't mind "babysitting" them for a couple of days.

BUT... Here is your warning, same warning everyone at last years swap got ;) Petasites is VERY aggressive. In moist soil in part shade it can run wild, literally. I have it growing in shade, but it competes with 2 huge maple thugs and gets hardly any moisture and it still runs amok.

I do love it though, which is why I have it growing. It's just one of those plants that you need to stay on top of or it could take over your yarden if left to it's own devices.

Thanks Jody!!

This would be the perfect plant to help fill up all the natural plateaus in my daughters garden IF they grow in shade.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I plan to attend the swap, really looking forward to it. I posted a little bit on the swap thread, but I figured I should post here too.
Thanks!

Mike and Cathy

Crozet, VA

Hi guys - Jody, good to see you participating in the shenanigans here. I hate that I am going to miss your Swap but it won't take much convincing to get John to take a road trip to your place at some other date. We both loved the area when we attended your Swap last year. You and your mother are both very gracious women and we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend there despite it being the first really hot weekend of the year. That is to say nothing of all the plant goodies that we came home with. I love your very unique yarden with all of the miniatures that you raise. Very interestinig indeed.

Critter, John will be there. He enjoys these things immensly. It gives him a chance to run his mouth and that is one of his favorite things to do. He is doing a vegetable garden this year and it is near the road. He has been spending a lot of time recently de-rocking the site. He comes in and tells me about all of the people who stop to chat with him while he is out there. It is a regular community center in the middle of the mountain.

Whatever any of you do, don't ask him about goats. We have an acre or so of grown up land that he began clearing this past winter. After spending a couple of weeks cutting by hand and then hauling away the brush, he decided that goats would be the way to go. So....... he has been researching and talking to other goat owners and probably very soon we will be the owners of at least two goats. He already built the pen and is waiting to find a place to purchase the animals. I am learning everything I never wanted to know about goats. hahaha

Anyway, I now need to go and find the other Swap thread and figure out what sorts of goodies I want to try and swap for. Take care and have a great week coming up.

Ruby

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Holly, hi everyone,

My husband Harry and I are going to try and come. I'll be done with this semester and I think Saturday will be an OK day for us to come. I've been wanting to make it to a Mid-Atlantic swap ^_^ I'll have to see what plants we'll have and post our list.

~Diana

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohooo! Good news on this thread... Mike is coming, and Diana, and they're bringing their spouses! I'm getting more excited all the time about everyone I'll have a chance to see & to meet.

Ruby, I'm so looking forward to seeing you & John again. My mom would certainly ask him about goats (she has a long standing fascination with them, thinks they're adorable and would get one in a flash if zoning permitted).

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone, Ric an I just got back from a week at the beach. I will be doing some catching up over the next few days. Claypa and Wind glad to see you will be joining us I will add your names to the list for directions.
Jody, Sorry you will not be able to come. I missed your swap meet last year, one of these days we will get a chance to get together.
Ruby, John can talk goats to Ric all day long. LOL Ric use to raise goats and we had a small herd of dairy goats for several years.They will do a great job of clearing off an area. I am really looking forward to having everyone come. So far my seedlings are doing pretty good but I'm not quite ready to commit them yet. Well now that the vacation is over and the weather is getting nicer, it's time to get to work.

So funny...I just quickly read over ruby's post and all I remember is ..."ask john about goats" HA HA
Holly, looks like you'll have a super swap

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hello, everybody. I've been away for a couple of weeks, but I'm trying to catch up. We're still planning to come up in May, money permitting. I'm STILL jobless, though my old employer says they may be able to hire me back this summer. Anyway, money being super-tight right now, I'm not going to be able to renew my DG membership when it runs out in 10 days so I don't think I'll be able to access this forum. Would it be possible to send any updates or directions to my personal email? It's joya_r76@hotmail.com

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Whoever you are, thank you so much! You made me cry a little bit, in a good way! It's nice to be part of such a friendly group of people.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

AWWW did someone pay your subscription??? Aren't DG'rs the BEST???

DGers are the best.
And just about all of us understand tight money these days!!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, It is tight for a lot of families. I see a lot of thoughtful kindness, happening. How nice for you Kubileya, so glad we will be able to continue to enjoy the pleasure of your company. Thanks to your sponsor.

You might want to remove your personal E-mail address, now that you are staying.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's so nice

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, I see you've got another 2 months on your subscription now! Cool. I'm praying that it won't take you even that long to turn things around and find a job -- hopefully not just any job but one you'll love!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You guys are too much! Really, I'm so grateful. And I promise to pay it forward as soon as I get the chance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.