Ric and Holly’s Spring Plant Swap May 16th

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome all DG friends, Ric and I are hosting a Spring Plant Swap

WHEN:
Saturday May 16th, starting around 11:00 till……
Lunch will be around 1:00. It will be a covered dish.
We set the 11:00 start time to try and give people time to get here but earlier arrivals are welcome and so are late comers.

WHERE:
Ric and Holly’s house in Dover, Pa.
We live in south central Pa. close to Interstate 83 half way between York and Harrisburg. If you do a Map Quest from your location to Dover, Pa. that will give you an idea of driving times. I am in the DG Address Exchange but will also be D-Mailing my address / directions to everyone planning to attend closer to the swap.
So please check the next post to be sure your name is on the list.

WHO:
All DG Subscribers their families and friends are invited.
Children of all ages included.

WHAT TO BRING:
Folding table or blanket and chairs to set up your swap area. We have a few extras but if you have room please bring your own.

Something for the covered dish lunch.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/975421/

Plants and seeds for swapping.
This was the original swap thread but it has gotten rather long. You can go there and check out the past lists http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/956531/
This is the new chat and swap thread a continuation of the above thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979020/#new
This swap thread is more for organizing your swaps and trades.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/973418/

You: Most important thing to bring is yourself. For those of you that have never been to a Swap you should know that you don’t have to bring plants to the swap to attend, you don’t even have to bring plants to take some home. If you don’t have much in the way of plants or seeds to swap that doesn't matter. There are plenty of plants to go around Gardeners just love to share their Gardens. This is a great way for new gardeners to start off. These events are as much about just getting together as they are about trading plants.

This thread is for general info, organization, who is planning to attend, and for answering any questions that might arise. Pretty much anything that is NOT food or plant related. Please keep food and plant trades chat on those threads. I’m going to save a few spots at the top of this thread for my info, you are welcome to chat after that.

Please check the top posts of this thread for updates, more information, and links to additional threads. Holly

This message was edited Apr 23, 2009 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Reserved for list of people planning or hoping to attend. I'll be Dmailing directions to everyone on this list, so please check to be sure your name is here
Critterologist
Ladygardener1 +1
Buttoneer + 1
Venu209
Flowerjen
DocGipe + 1
Gitagal
onewish1 + 1
sallyg
Kubileya + 1
Jan23
Chantell
Bec_No_Va
ROSES_R_RED + 1
Miatablu
Rubyw + ?
Catbird423
Claypa + 1
Wind + 1
bifdiehl + 1
NisiNJ + 1
Stormyla + 1
HappyMacomb
RatherBDigging
Midrashists

This message was edited May 4, 2009 3:20 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I will post some info on area activities and places to stay over, for those that have an interest in staying in the area for a few days. If you think you may want to stay in the area for a few days I will be glad to babysit your plants till you are done sightseeing. Most of these areas are only about 45 mins or less from my house.
Lancaster, Pa. Home of the Amish, Sight & Sound and American Music Theatres, Outlet Shopping, Farmers Markets, Dutch Wonderland Amusement Park. just to name a few.
http://www.800padutch.com/
Hershey, Pa. Yummy Chocolate, Golf, Spa, Hershey Gardens and a great Amusement Park.
http://www.hersheypark.com/index.php
http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/pennsylvania/hershey.php
Gettysburg, Pa. Gettysburg National Military Park,Eisenhower National Historic Site and Adams Co. Orchards.
http://www.gettysbg.com/

Camping, Just minutes away at Gifford Pinchot State Park
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/giffordpinchot.aspx
Hershey area (45 mins) Highmeadow Campground
http://www.hersheypa.com/accommodations/hershey_highmeadow_campground/
Gettsyburg area (1hour) Granite Hill Campground will be hosting their bluegrass festival there, during that weekend. (Thanks Buttoneer)
http://www.granitehillcampingresort.com/bluegrass.htm

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 10:18 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Golf Anyone?
I put a thread together for you to use in organizing a Golf Date. This link will take you over there. Have fun.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/966517/

This message was edited Mar 23, 2009 12:45 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Area Hotels, If you are thinking about staying a few days and visiting an area, like Lancaster or Gettysburg you may want to look for a Hotel in those ares and just zip over for the day of the swap. But if you want to be a little closer to my house I have a list of convenient hotels. They are all grouped together in the area. along with several restaurants. It's just off I83 and close to the Turnpike exit. Only about 20 mins north of my house and will be very easy to get back and forth. The restaurants in the group are Bob Evans, East & Park, Pizza Hut, Doc Holidays (steak house) they also have a comedy club for a little evening entertainment and Elephant & Castle (English Pub) located at the Holiday Inn.

Hotels:
Holiday Inn
148 Sheraton Drive
New Cumberland, Pa. 17070
717-774-2721
Rate standard $119 AAA/AARP $108
Atrium and indoor pool, Elephant & Castle Pub

Quality Inn
175 Bacon Hill Boulevard
717-774-6200
For special rate $75.00 talk to Christine Chwasciewski Operations Manager
Free continental breakfast, out door pool, small work out room & computer room WIFI accessible, Coffee service in room, There isn't a microwave or mini fridge int he room bu you can request one.
If you want a quiet room request the 3rd floor, or a direct access room with your car parked only steps away.

Comfort Inn
130 Limekiln Rd.
717-774-8888
www.comfortinnharrisburg.com
Normal rate $109 AAA/AARP rate $98 there is also a coupon saver rate for around $65. I will see if I can find papers with the coupons in them. Not sure how they work or what limits are on them. (more info when I get coupons)
Free continental breakfast, outdoor pool, high speed Internet, microwave/mini-fridge and coffee service in room.
For a quiet more private room request second floor back, or a direct access room with your car parked only steps away.

Both the Quality Inn and Comfort Inn are basically the same and sitting right beside each other.

Rodeway Inn
110 Limekiln Rd
717-774-1100
Rate $65
Basic room, coffee, juice and donuts served in morning. No real amenities and not near as nice as the other hotels but the room I saw was clean.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2009 9:03 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hooray! I've marked my calendar. I also added a link to this thread to the top post of the "Party Time!" thread.

If anybody's route takes them through Lancaster, That Fish Place is having their annual Pond Sale that weekend. For anybody who doesn't know them, they have great prices and an outrageous selection of aquarium supplies & livestock as well as load of other pet stuff (for cats, dogs, more). http://www.thatpetplace.com/

Link to map from Dover to TFP: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Dover,+PA&daddr=237+Centerville+Rd,+Lancaster,+PA&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=40.01552,-76.621399&sspn=0.338667,0.574036&ie=UTF8&ll=40.014994,-76.621399&spn=0.33867,0.574036&z=11

Crossville, TN

I have ya'll listed...Have a great time...as I am sure you will. Hugs Jo

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/557555/

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

You can put my name on the list
Husband, Paul will drive but may take off for a near by golf course. We will be driving down Friday and staying till Sunday morning. So a few easy to get to hotel recommendations would be appreciated.
I am really looking forward to this swap and meeting up with my DG friends.

Chris

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Count me & Bob in, Holly. I'll be bringing plants & seeds & food. We have our own tables & chairs. We can even bring a couple of EZ-up 10 X 10 tents in case of inclement weather. (those are the perks when you do craft shows).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have also requested the day off from work. No problem getting it---as far as I know....

I cannot, yet, tell you what plants I wil lbe bringing. Too far off! I have many rooted plants NOW going gung-ho right now to be shared. Of course, by May 16th, all my seedlings will also be Gung-Ho and I will know exactly what i have too much of. NOT by planning to--but because too many seeds sprouted.

I so much prefer Plant Swaps to seed swaps as I do not have the room or the facilities to grow too many seeds. VERY limited! Just enough room to what I plan to grow--and a few extras i will give away at work. That's it!....Then--there will be the leftovers......:o)

Will keep this updated.....Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... I don't have room in my seed stash for too many more seeds... but I still found some goodies on Saturday! Gave away a few more than I brought home, and for me that was part of the point of it. :-)

I thought I should probably put the link for The Violet Gallery on this thread also. They're near Gettysburg, in York Springs. Their plant list is amazing, and it's such fun to walk through their growing room and pick out plants... I'll try to call them in advance and see if they'll be there that day... they mostly ship & sell at shows but are open to customers by appointment. http://www.violetgallery.com/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, I will be checking out some of the B&B, Hotels and campgrounds in the area and posting that info. Also I will be checking with the local Golf course.
Buttoneer, Thanks for the offer of the 10 X 10's, Ric has been talking about possibly renting something if the weather looked iffy. They could really come in handy.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We had a couple of popup canopies, but we tried to leave them up... even with extra bracing added to the frame, the wind took them down. The one we have now is not so portable. LOL

I will bring at least 1 table... just got a new folding table (like Miata's, it folds in half). If we come in my CR-V, then the car has a card table sized table in it (I've used it before) also.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can do 3 hours.... add me to the list as well

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great onewish I am so looking forward to seeing you. I will add you to the list.
Critter, We have been going down to That Fish Place for years. It's maybe 30 min. Any one that would be coming in Rt 30 would just turn North onto Interstate 83 very easy to get here from there.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am going to find out if my honey's mom Michele is going to join in... hope you guys like coleus!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Put me down! Will bring table, chairs, blanket

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We'll be there! We have plans to come up Friday and camp somewhere until Sunday. My husband is pretty stoked about visiting Gettysburg.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Kubileya, There are so many things to do in Gettysburg, especially this year for Lincoln's Bicentennial. I put up a link to the local State Park for camping but you really might prefer to camp some where nearer to Gettysburg and just pop up here.
Here is a little personal history for you.
Eisenhower National Historic Site is the home and farm of President Dwight D. Eisenhower. My father owned a Moving and Storage Co. and moved several pieces of furniture into this home, when he was in office. He and his workers had to be cleared by the secret service. We had gone down there on a seniors bus trip a few years ago and Dad was pointing out pieces and talking about how they had to "swing" one of them up and over the second floor porch banisters because they couldn't get it up the steps. We had a great time as he pointed out pictures and furniture and stated "I put that there".

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I can tell you that when Bob & I had our television store many years ago, John Eisenhower came into the store to purchase an air conditioner because he was renting an apartment in Carlisle to research the US Army War College, which is here, and write memoirs of his famous father. I sold him the air conditioner & Bob & a technician installed it. Also, don't forget the land of little horses (miniature horses) in Gettysburg. You will have all sorts of places to go sight seeing. Also, the granite hill campground in Gettysburg will be hosting their bluegrass festival there, during that weekend, if you are into bluegrass. Bob & I camped there many years ago. Enjoyed all the bluegrass and the jam sessions in the evening. It was there that I had my first taste of "white lighting." (rust your pipes)

http://www.granitehillcampingresort.com/bluegrass.htm

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you can put me down as a +1.... Michele is coming with me

Little Horses!! we've been there- its neat, a fun show .

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Put me down...I'll bring chairs and Becky (actually we'll be in HER car....LOL)...maybe she has a table...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I have a table ^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can bring a table... it doesn't fold.. but I can put it upside down in my truck ... just let me know if you think we will need it

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Since we are talking "furniture" here----I can also bring a card table, or two, and as many lawn chairs as you need. Even extra tables.....

Not gonna commit to any special covered dish yet! Good grief! We are 2 months away!
I can make anything you want me to......Will wait till the last minute and then ask you what you still need....

Holly--I also have two Patio umbrellas with stands--in case you need shade. Just let me know....and about 8 folding lawn chairs.

I have everything.......Gita

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I know Holly doesn';t have a thread for this yet but I want to reserve the cole slaw for me to make. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have some extra seating and tables. You only need to bring a table for your own use. If you would like something to set your plants up on, if not you can just set them on the ground. Whatever is easiest and most comfortable for you. Same goes for the folding chairs. We have some extra but it would be good to bring one for yourself if you can. You don't need to bring extras, just what you need to set up your own swapping area.
We don't have a lot of shade but do have some. Buttoneer has offered 2 of her EZ-up 10 X 10 tents so that will provide some shade as well. And with it being May not Aug we should be pretty comfortable. But you are welcome to bring your own umbrella for your swapping area if you would like.

XXX

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 8:24 AM

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, I forgot, we have a big beach umbrella & a base, too. DH is going to love schlepping this along, but I will help him put everything up.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok I have to say sorry and take back my +1 .... Michele will not be able to make this one
:(

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry to make you nuts... but I am back to a +1... she was wrong about the date of her other plans

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Onewish, LOL My list is just to give me a "general" idea of how many will attend and to send D-mails with my address and directions for those that are not in the Address Exchange. An extra person or 10 will not be a big deal. So glad she will be able to make it and you are welcome to bring as many friends as you want.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

just trying not to make an annoying first impression

:)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, You couldn't do that I already feel as though I know you thru your many DG posts.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok good

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Add me to the list Holly. Wouldn't miss it!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've been "away" far too long and sooo many threads to catch up on! Sorry to say I won't be joining you on the 16th :( We'll still be way too busy and the 16th is the Green Spring sale. Sure going to miss having the opportunity to visit your gardens and seeing everyone again :( Oh well, ONE of these years I hope to retire and then I'll finally have a chance to travel in the spring - I miss out on everything!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have heard about the Green Spring Sale. Hated to have my swap the same day sounds like a pretty large and nice Plant Sale. Maybe I could get down there next year. We will miss you. I still have hopes of getting to your place one of these days as I travel through Va.
Miatablu, Looking forward to seeing you again.

XXX

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

This really sounds like fun, I will check my schedule and hope I can make it, I would love to meet the people behind the names.

Yay Catbird!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.