Growing passion flowers indoors

Danville, IN

Has anyone had success growing passion flowers indoors year round, or at least indoors through the winter after summering outdoors? Logee's is selling Passiflora miniata "Red Passion Flower" that blooms from fall into spring, which would be perfect for enjoying in my sunroom, if practical. It was formerly known as Passiflora coccinea. Anyone have advice for me?

North Augusta, ON

I tried, I failed...spider mite magnet.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've succeeded....I was growing two Passifloras in my south window.....they grew up and up and twined around anything in sight!
One bloomed, the other never did (and still hasn't!)
The one that *did* bloom I eventually took outdoors last summer....and let it get too cold while it was 'waiting' for me to bring it indoors...it has since died:(

Mine were grouped in the windowsill with many other plants, which may be why I didn't have any spider mite problems.

Buffalo, NY

I have one in the basement and it's growing still. Last year I had it up in the hallway where it got sun. It bloomed just fine on and off. Keep it moist and fed and watch for bugs. :)

Danville, IN

Great! I ordered Passiflora miniata "Red Passion Flower" from Logee's today. I'm sure it will summer outdoors, then in the sunroom for the winter. I'll have to let you know how it does, as it's supposed to one that blooms from fall to spring, sporadically in the summer.

Humansville, MO

i grow purple passion
some flower some just grow up
elle

Danville, IN

I've been looking for a passion flower that blooms in the winter, just so I could enjoy it indoors. This one specifically said that it was a winter bloomer, and red to boot! Here's hoping it performs as stated. Since the ordered plant will undoubtedly be small, after a summer growing outdoors (potted), I expect it'll be primed to bloom next winter.

Humansville, MO

hi
here are my passion plant i grow some flower some
do not
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Humansville, MO

here
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Humansville, MO

and here one and i got 1 more
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Humansville, MO

this is all
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Danville, IN

Oh-h-h... Elle, you have purple passion plant, a.k.a. Purple Velvet plant or Purple Velvetleaf ! They're very nice. What I ordered was the passionflower plant that is a vine and has some cool looking flowers. There are photos in Plant Files.

Thanks for your input though. It looks like you have a nice selection to keep you company in the winter.

Happy Gardening this year.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I have one indoors and it appears it's going to flower. I'll take photos. No bug problems yet.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Mine will be two years old this summer. I grew it from a seed that I got thru a DG Swap. It has made it thru 2 winters now. Right now I wouldn't say it is exactly thriving but it's still alive and showing signs of new growth. Would probably be much healthier if not for the spider mites and other hardships I put it through. I needed to move it out of the living area around the holidays and stored it in an upstairs room with quite a few other plants. It was crowded and not well cared for over a period of several months but it is still hanging in there and I expect it will be just fine. I was talking to another DG Member that has one permanently growing in a sun room. Up over the windows and around the room I believe. I just recently got another seed from a DG seed swap so hopefully I will have good luck with this seed, too. Good luck with your plant and you may find that one Passi isn't enough. LOL

Last summer I took it outside and grew it in my gazebo this pic was taken then.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Danville, IN

I'll be sure to post a follow-up next winter when I see how my efforts work out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.