Think Spring! Share your photos :-)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Jill, Paul plans on bringing golf clubs, if Ric goes golfing one more and they have a foursome. What more could they ask for? Golf, good eats, and being away from us chatting about plants, seeds and flowers, lol .

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wonder if Becky's DH golfs?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Not unless his life depends on it ^_^

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROFLOL

We won't threaten his life to get him on the golf course.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

No promises but Mr "G" does golf. I haven't looked at the schedule that far ahead. He usually has a golf trip in the spring sometime and you know how "luck will have it"

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric, doesn't I did call and got some info to pass along. I'll post what I have on the swap thread.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOOK at my piggy ears...cute babies...gonnna have to beg some off of you Sally come spring swap....I am SOOO mad at myself that i left that pot out there...I've had those for a few years - annoys me that I'd forget them out in the cold like that....ugh

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Aw, nuts, Chantell.. I knew there was something I was supposed to bring for you! I'll chop a couple of cuttings off mine and see if I can get them to root.

That's one of the great advantages of sharing special plants... if you lose the original one, somebody you passed it to might be able to pass it along back!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

*sniffle, sniffle* thank goodness someone (both of you) took care of yours....what a bad plant mommy I am...sheesh

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, well, you know the sad fate of my little allspice. It happens!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You'll have that replacement...in a few weeks....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I hope so! The FL truck arrives soon. I bugged Mike the other day, asked him to please check to see that Jodi had read my emailed list. ;-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

YOU go girl!!! Nah, I meant the one that I'd have for you - silly

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm losing track! I've got roses coming via you, and you're planting a clove seed for me, and I'm planting those passie seeds... oh, that's right, you finagled a trade for allspice! And we're hoping for bay rum, nutmeg, maybe cinnamon, etc. from the DPF Florida Truck...

I guess I don't need to tell the folks here what a good enabler our Chantell is.

:-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Learned from the bestest....LOL. BTW. yes you've got it right - clove planted, roses ordered....Allspice in the works (rooting a Hoya for him currently)...hoping DPF has some of those other goodies - their jasmine is still blooming....whaaa whoooo!!!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well I'm late in checking in as usual. As everyone said before me, great job Critter. I tried to get some seeds started last weekend, but it didn't happen yet. I went to Lowes on Friday and got everything I needed and I got grass seed. Saturday I started to spread the grass seed, then realized I had to rake the leaves that stuck in the places where I really needed the grass seed. While I was doing this, I spotted the tarp that blew away a few weeks ago that I had lost down in the hollow in the creek. So Rick and I went to the grocery store and on the way back I went through the brambles and stickers to get it. Then I got scratched and my pants got caught on what I thought was a sticker, but when I looked it turned out to be a rusty old piece of barbed wire. Well two hours later after sitting in urgent care waiting for my tetanus shot there was going to be no seed starting. So yesterday I finally got to go through my "booty" from the swap. Then I realized there was a whole lot of organizing to do to make room for everything I wanted to get started. Too many plants being overwintered under the light. Tell me, where does the space and the time go?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"where does the space and the time go?"

When you figure out the answer to that, please let me know!

LOL

I cheated and hired kid help to scrub out and bleach 24 plant trays... that gave me a step up!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's not cheating, that's puttin' your thinkin' cap on! Wish I could just find a kid around my neighborhood to shovel the driveway :-/

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Sorry it took me so long posting the few pics I took at the swap -

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

All kinds of goodies!!!!!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I love this one of Sally!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

no comment!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Good, Bec!! We got the candid camera, lady herself!!

Gitagal & Critter, here's the little Red Riding plant from DPF that I need ID'd:

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly

I thought the foilage was gorgeous!! It seems to be a vine, and I thought it would be a hanging basket plant, although I did not see any like it in the nursery in a basket. Here is another view from the side to show the creeping stem, which was thicker than my finger!!

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry! I don't know. The stripes on the leaves have me buffaloed! And that thick stem????
At first glance, I thought it was a Moses in the Cradle--but, NO!

Post it on the plant Identification Forum...You will know in a day!

Gita

Edited to add the link to the ID Forum....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

This message was edited Mar 2, 2009 8:32 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's a jewel orchid! I've got one, and it hasn't grown much this past year... would probably grow more if it got watered more regularly, LOL.

Todd Boland did a great article on them... let me see if I can find it.

Here ya go: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/836/

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I'll second Jill's ID, I have the same one - needs regular fertilizing, some shade, humidity and a fair amount of water :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine is in the little hex tank I use as a terrarium... good for humidity, but I tend to stack the top full of other plants, and then I don't go in to actually water as much as I should. Sounds like I should be using miracle gro water or AV food on it... maybe quarter strength if I'm going to use it regularly?

Oooooh, a jewel orchid!!! Wow, I had some dumb luck after all!! Thanks so much Critter and Gita!! I'm going to read Todd's article in a few....

Hey, Critter, does it flower much?

Thanks, Becky!1 Just saw your post. You say it needs part shade? That will be easy here.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

mine doesn't, but I bought it for the foliage

Yes, that's why I did, too!! I guess flowers will be the bonus!! Does yours flower, Becky?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Don't know yet...from what I have read the flowers are insignificant & white...I got it for the cool foliage :-) There are a couple more I want, Todd's article is great & google Jewel Orchid & you'll find all the info you need

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Better late than never checking in - looks like I missed a great time :( I'll be watching this thread, Rick's convinced we need to make a trip to DPF when their tropicals come in!

Thought I'd post this picture for you, Foxnfirefly. I love Jewel Orchid and took this picture of it flowering at Selby Gardens in Florida last year :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow! Thanks for that photo. :-)

The Florida Truck should be in the 2nd or 3rd week of March. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think the Jewel Orchid that we all have (and also the one in Holly's photo) is the same as the thumbnail photo in Todd's article. I just asked him, and he says it is Ludisia discolor. Now mine has an official little tag. :-)

PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2149/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My Photo????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.