Think Spring! Share your photos :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sadly, my camera stayed in my purse, but I know I saw some other folks snapping away... Please share your photos of the swap, as well as seedling photos, crocuses blooming in your yard, whatever makes you "Think Spring!" this week.

Thanks again to everybody who helped make this afternoon's event such fun!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I just got a call from Theresa (who's back at work again... sheesh, she and Jim used to be office mates way back, both still working for Lockheed-Martin, and I'm not please about how demanding their jobs have become... then again, steady employment is good, LOL)...

Anyway, she and Angela and their folks had a blast this afternoon. Thank you all so much for making them welcome. Irene (their mom) just got a laptop, and I'm going to see if I can help her get onto DG... she is learning to "surf the web" now. Hopefully I'll be more successful than with my MIL, who keeps putting her laptop aside and then has a hard time getting going with it again. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

For anybody who picked up a "jewel orchid" at DPF (I know I saw one in somebody's hand this afternoon...), here's a lovely article on them by Todd Boland: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/836/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I took pictures, but can't post until DS brings the other camera home.
Thanks to all- I have a ton of seeds. Have potted Jill's cuttings and Mammalarias, five in a little pot, so cute.
I had such fun seeing those folks I've already met and meeting those I hadn't.
Oh Jill. I knew there was something about Wednesday---taking my son for wisdom teeth out!!!!! needless to say, I'll be home hovering over him. You'll have to take pics for me.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you ladies (and some men there too?) had a wonderful time. Next time for sure!!!

Sally, I remember when my daughter had her wisdom teeth out. The anasthesia made her cry afterward, and that of course made me cry. Maybe they have something different now. Anyway, she recovered amazinging quickly, so try not to worry too much, Mom.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Oops, I posted my account on the other thread, as I did not notice this one first.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939638/#new

I think it was a good turnout. Good to see Critter, Sallyg, Holly, Buttoneer, Chantell and others. Met several others I didn't before. I really enjoyed going through all those stuffed seed boxes!! I didn't do that at last year's swap, and now I see why DGers love these events!!!! All the seeds for the asking!!!

I'm almost poositive that this is what Froggy and I brought home. Nursery clearance
Ctenanthe Brazilian Snow.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53679/
Loves humidity- if I can keep it till spring, consistanttly warm outside, it should be beautiful for the summer.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Had such a wonderful time yesterday, thanx a bunch Critter!!! As usual you did a great job organizing the event!

Got some great "growing UP"-seeds, had some good laughs and can't wait to see y'all again - Marianne really enjoyed herself, and thinks we have a "good bunch of gardeners" :-)

DPF had some good deals as usual and I found the little pots I wanted for my orchids - even managed to convince Chantell & Critter they HAD to get that awesome Jasmine!

Woke up this morning paying the price however, I have NO voice!

TTFN

Bec

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Sally - THAT'S it! I'm positive you can keep it happy much longer than spring! ^_^

I picked up a bizarre red leaf plant at DPF that I didn't have a label for. I really don't know many houseplants. The red leaves on this one make a sucker out of me. I don't have any idea how to cultivate it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Post a photo, Foxy... If we can't ID it, I'll print out the photo and take it to Jodi sometime (at DPF).

I went pot shopping today at Ollie's... got some huge self-watering pots for $5 each. I bought a dozen or so in 3 colors, figuring I could share around that good deal, put one on the next gift table, etc. I'll take photos and post on Holly's swap thread. Six inch pots are too big for most african violets, actually (probably why they were on sale), but they're fabulous for ferns and other houseplants -- maybe even gingers? -- because the water reservoir keeps the soil moist.

How huge is huge? I really want some large pots or interesting containers to put in my shade beds this summer with some tropicals like my new one in them.
Bec- I'm pretty positive I can root some new swappable babies of it from those bunches that it grows on the stems...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think they're six inches across (dimension of the inside pot, not the outer reservoir).

Ollie's also had some foam pots -- 12" and 14" (estimated) for $8 & $10, I think. And I got a truly huge plastic pot that must be at least 20" across for $25... black, and I think I'm going to try adding some bronze paint or something to lighten it up. None of those pots have holes, and I'm thinking of using the huge one for a water garden pot. Both the foam and plastic pots are easy to drill for drainage, and I've painted foam pots like that before with regular acrylic paints (sealed with clear poly).

I'll measure the pots when I get them out of the car... LOL

Oh, and if anybody remembers the great folding table (6 feet long, but folds in half as well as the legs folding) that Mitata brings to swaps... Ollie's had those for $40, significantly less than I think I remember them being at Sam's last month.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I know I'm going O/T continuing to talk about my "haul" from Ollie's... but had to mention that they also had these hummingbird wall fountains fo r$30. I didn't get one but might head back with Jim this week to see (he likes hummers a lot, but he's very particular about them... prints, sculptures, even sun catchers have to look "right" to him). I think the fountain looked very much like the one at this link (maybe even exactly like it; not quite sure): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000REZK40

That's OK- I'm thinking 12 inch or more. Plus I'm thinking- this may sound dumb- I don't like everything you see all over that is the exact same shape as a standard flower pot. Same taper same height to width ratio...Please let me see some thing squattier! I've always liked azalea pots.

Ok--have downl;oaded now to edit and post...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

For a big "squatty" pot, try looking for one of those things meant to hide/store a hose.

That is great! Now wave your wand and make it ten bucks or less...I am so cheap it's annoying.
I must apologize for the lack of quality- I haven't mastered this camera.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Hostess with the mostess, mid Daves-O calling

Thumbnail by sallyg
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Check places like JoAnn's, especially when their summer stuff goes on an early sale (60% off) or later clearance (up to 90% off, if there are any left)

JoAnns is a super idea- the kind of place that gardeners don't snatch up the stuff too quickly- thanks
One of the cute couples of the day

Thumbnail by sallyg

But the cutest couple of the day, Gitagal and Buttoneer
Oh previous is HollyAnn and Ric

Thumbnail by sallyg

I think bseward's friend Bertie just won-DAVES!

Thumbnail by sallyg

Buttoner concentrates while FoxnFirefly trades strategy with Froggy- mais oui!

Thumbnail by sallyg

Kubileya and miatablu are having too many jollies for my nonflash camera to keep up with- sorry for the out of focus!
Kubileya- you must tell everybody how you chose your name- Unique.. Educate us!

FnFF and Froggy get down to the business of the day--seeds

Theresa- Hmm do I want the AV or the amaryllis...?
Bec- Gawd, I can't believe she's takng my picture, I'm just gettting over a cold!! I'll deflect the focus with my expensive jewelry...

We were sad that not everybody could be there, but happy about ur seeds and knowing we'll see some of you at Holly's.

Thumbnail by sallyg

And that's about the end of my pictures. Sorry I didn't get everybody, and in the right light and focus..boo

Thumbnail by sallyg
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! Those head planters are hysterical... DH finds them disturbing, LOL. I've got a lady's head planter (rather more elegant) that I need to get a photo of, though (birthday gift from my lovely in-laws!).

What the????? Kub and Miatablu

Thumbnail by sallyg

FnFF , n' F ( Ithink I'm getting the hang of this photo correcting)

Thumbnail by sallyg

Theresa and Bec

Thumbnail by sallyg

LOL!! Sallyg, great photos!! You missed your calling for photojournalism. I thought it was too dark in that room for anything to turn out. We all had a great time, I am sure.

I am still poring over my seeds. Can't believe the haul this year!! And the DPF---there were some plants of garganteous proportions. I hope the little red plant I picked up there doesn't turn out to be a slobbering moster that will chase me out of the house!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

FFF,

Care to post a picture of you8r "little red plant"?
I might be able to tell you what it is....

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and if not, I'll be happy to print out its mug shot and take it along the next time I visit DPF... even if it was tagless, they might be able to figure it out. :-)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the pictures, Sally. Looks like everyone had a great time!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We missed you! :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We had a great time at the seed swap, sorry I forgot my camera. Sally you did good that was a dark room for picture taking. My plant plugs will be coming next weekend so I have started doing a really good clean up of my plant room. I'll be getting my seeds from the swap started this week, too.
Critter, please extend Spring Swap invite to your friends they are such a nice bunch. Didn't get as much time talking to them at the seed swap as I did at your Fall Swap. We would be very glad to have them all come up.
Here is my little pigs ears from Sally, looking pretty happy

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Those pigs ears are just so cute!

Thanks, Holly! Hopefully by then, we'll have one or more of them subscribing here... Irene (Theresa's mom) just got a new laptop and is learning to "surf." We're hoping "the project that ate Theresa's life" will be over soon, and that will give her more time for gardening, both online and off. :-)

I'm also going to see if Jim wants to come up with me.. he and LadyG's DH could go golfing together... :-)

credit to Chantell for pigs ears~~~I'm just the middle'man'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.