Impending goat birth! Probably next 10 to 12 hours!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh man, just when I thought Stuffin's udder couldn't possibly get ANY bigger....it grew to new heights overnight. Plus, her ligaments around her tail are completely relaxed, which is a very significant sign. It shows birth is coming soon...

Check out the juice bar the goat kid(s) will have!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Her udder has filled out towards the back, whereas before it was just filled downward.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Clarkson, KY

Magnificent perspective there, Claire!! We've got one fixin' to bust too. Came home the other night and she had rolled backwards to scratch, unaware of the slight hollow behind her. Result -one upside-down hugely pregnant goat! Had to push her, pat her and love her upright and then kinda massaged her babies back out of her ribs and backbone, poor thing!! Didn't even look like a goat anymore...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

She has also started assuming the stance, I think, for contractions.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Grow, just imagining the uprighting process for your goat is both funny and sweet! I would have loved to see the home movie of that!

I can't decide whether to go to my 10 am class or not...

Clarkson, KY

If it's her first birth and you can be back in 2hrs, go. If her sides are heaving (contractions) already stay.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm stayin! I wanna see this! :)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I decided to stay. It is her first birth. And mine! I don't want to miss it, and even though I'd have been back by 11:30 (it's currently 9:40) I just don't feel right. The class gets podcasted so I can listen at my leisure. I figure it's worth staying, just in case.

Just checked on her. She peed twice, really small amounts, in about the space of 5 or 6 minutes. Otherwise she's just looking glassy eyed.

Clarkson, KY

Good call, Mom. I'll be back tonight for news.....Got any old towels etc handy?? Couple of my first timers took a while to figure things out while the wet babies were freezing to the ground. Rubbed the babies with towels and Mom's nose w/ some towel scum to make sure they both smelled like family...er whatever. You probably know this but... G'luck!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I'm going to work from home and I will go out every half hour to check on her. I'll sleep in the barn tonight if there is no kid yet.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Awww.. That is sweet Claire!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sure wish you had a goat cam.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Old towels ready, and same with bulb for getting mucus out of nose/mouth of baby. Towel scum idea is excellent! Thanks! She is in an enclosure, about 10 x 15 feet, inside the barn. We have heat lamps (chicken ones) set up over one area, and lots of hay in there. She should be able to keep them warm, but I'll be there. They can't freeze to the ground at least.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I do have a camcorder and I do plan to take some footage if I can. A goat cam would be super cool!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Congrats Claire! I can feel the excitement!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh boy!!!!!!!! Babies!!!!!!!!!!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Oh just a quick note: after the kid is born and dried off, check mom's teats. Sometimes it takes abit to get some milk out(waxy plug) this way you know both sides will express easily for the kid. Also clip the umbillical cord and dip in the iodine-this way mom doesn't decided to chew it down too close and also so no bacteria gets in. Ok! I'll step out of the barn now!! lol! I tend to get overly excited about these events! :-)

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Any news yet?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yup, got the 7% iodine ready. Check!

Prepared to deal with udder plugs. Check!

Have towels and mucus removing bulb thingy ready. Check!

Camera ready. Check!

Current status: doing the "inchworm" move by arching her back. Unknown significance!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I seem to recall arching my back when I kidded.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

LOL Brigid! I never kidded, so this is my first. I said to Kelly this morning how cool it was that we were going to have a baby but we didn't have to go to the hospital, and nobody would arrest us for leaving our baby in the farmyard all day when we go to work.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, we have a string of mucus. She keeps on pushing because her pink bits keep going all pointy shaped, and then she relaxes. OMG, we're having a baby! Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!! I'm all flustered and squirmy!

(Zone 7b)

OH Claire someone Emailed me and told me about your goat giving birth.

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Tell her all her aunts and uncles are pulling for her!!!!!

(Zone 7b)

Yes we are all pullng for her come on you can do it we got to get out the pom poms it might help to throw in a little cheer!!!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just one little girl, but I am so excited!

She was born with no trouble at all.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

YAY! POM POMS AND CHEERS EVERYWHERE!!! SHE'S GORGEOUS!!!

YIPPEE EYE OH KAYAY!! or however you spell it.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here's her cute little face. She is black with a white spot on the top of her head. We are calling her Luna, because it's like she has a moon on her head, in the dark sky!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks all, for all the good thoughts and prayers and encouragement. What a tremendously exciting day!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Her little body isn't much longer than my hand!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

She is nursing now.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I'm in love. Bet you are, too, Claire! She's a beauty.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Congr on the sweet little girl.

Clarkson, KY

Beautiful!! Well done both of you!!

Clarkson, KY

PS. DD was looking over my shoulder again and was transfixed by the photography at the front of this thread. Drew her right in, she read about the goats and we had to do the whole thread!! Just begs for an udder pun doesn't it?

Brookville, PA(Zone 5a)

beautiful baby!! i would call her Skye..Congrats!!!

Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

that is awesome, congrats!! the kid's and i loved seeing the pics of them. what a gorgous little baby and mom is darling too!!!
thank u for shareing with us and congrats again,
silkie

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks again all! I am so pleased. Cndydavis - I love that name. I will save it for the next one! We picked Luna for the head spot like a moon.

Can y'all tell how happy I am?!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

She looks so good now that she's dried off a bit. What fun it will be to watch her grow and develop.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Zone 7b)

Just look at that congrats Claire what a beautiful name she has and such a pretty girl!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.