Hummingbird Sitting on Nest!

Marlton, NJ

They eat a lot of protein (bugs) when they have little ones. :-)

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

Does anyone here visit Cracker Barrel's restaurant? I know they have them as far west as Texas anyhow. They had a hummer feeder that was like 4 stories high. Kind of neat. then they had a pretty glass globe one, single feeder, same price, $20.

do more than one feed at a time? or does only one hummer visit the same feeder? are they territorial?

I guess I should do my homework. =)

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Oh, yes, they're territorial! The Anna's are very bossy. Sometimes we'll see them feeding at the same time, though sniping at each other.

Then, at just the perfect time when the migration is going on, we'll have 4, 5, 6 at the feeders at once. It's as if they know their buddies need fuel for the long trip and they tolerate them.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

VERY territorial.. I only get the Rubys and I have one who wipes himself out trying to "protect" all 5 of the feeders that are in different areas of my yard! The others have learned to take turns being chased, so that the ones not being chased can feed.
It's a lot of fun to sit on the patio and get divebombed by the chaser and the chasee!!

Chris

so, do the HBs stay in the winter? I usually don't keep filling my feeder in the winter.

I just saw a thread on this formum where a DG'er makes her own feeders. WAY Cool.

Mine don't.. I can tell that the weather's getting ready to turn cooler when the hummers get more active around Sept with my feeders. They feed more right before they start the migration.
That's why I told DH we have to move to CA :) I want them year round!

Ours (Anna's and Costa's) are here year 'round, though we only see the other species at migration.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm afraid I have some really bad news to share with you all. We are having very stormy weather here, and the high winds knocked the eggs out of the nest. When I looked out the window this morning, I saw an empty nest, and no sign of the mama. I found the eggs cracked on the cement pathway below the nest. I know it's not good to get attached, but I am pretty bummed out about it. I took some photos of the eggs, and posted them in my garden blog, if anyone wants to check them out. I don't really want to post them here, because they are both sad, and a bit graphic :-(. Here's my blog http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/m/sunnyg/

Thanks for going on this hummingbird adventure with me. I am just so sorry that it turned out this way.

Sunny

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh that is sad. Maybe the momma will lay more eggs since those are gone. I don't know if they will do that for sure, but we can hope.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm so sorry, Sunny! That is sad news. It's early enough in the season though that she'll probably re-nest. Keep an eye out for a new nest nearby, and keep us posted!

Marlton, NJ

I'm very sorry to hear that sunny.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

((hugs)) I'm sure you are feeling terrible. So sorry to hear this.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Aww, Sunny I am so sorry to hear that! Things happen in nature for a reason to keep a certain balance, and your babbies were just a part of that. Jennifer

PERTH, Australia

Oh Sunny, I'm so sorry about that.

Sunny, it was a nice adventure just the same. I feel sorry for the momma hummer. poor girl.

Sunny, how sad!! But there is a good chance that Mama will come back and try to start over. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Me too. What a shame, Sunny.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Im sorry to hear that Sonny. It must have been hard to find. Don't give up you are a natural .

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi Sunny, so sorry, but what a wonder that you got to experience them some. She will next again, for sure, somewhere!
You have parrots, don't you??
I think we've corresponded before

Sheri

Thanks so much for all the kind words, they are much appreciated. I feel very lucky that I was able to witness what I did, in spite of the sadness of their loss. I must admit I keep looking out the window, even though the nest is now empty. We had a small break in the rain yesterday, and I did briefly see a hummingbird in the general area, but I don't know if it was the mama or not. I am heartened to hear that she will probably nest again. Can anyone provide some additional information on this or direct me to a good resource? Is it possible that she will nest nearby, or even use the same nest? Thanks again!

Here is the last pic I took of the mama on her nest (her eggs were blown out of the nest that night). I had slowly gotten near the nest, and was just starting to take some pics and then the mailman came by and scared her. I thought I'd have many more opportunities to take pics, so I didn't go out again that day.

Thumbnail by sunnyg

Hi Sheri, I have a parrotlet (smallest true parrot). I was in total bird heaven last week...I was taking pics of the hummingbird nest out the window, all the while listening to my little Quique telling himself "you're so cute. You're so cute." LOL.

They are such cute birds, Sunny. We almost got one but our cockatiel picked us out and that was it. Do you have a photo?

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I have been following a hummer webcamfrom Sunnyvale, and learning a lot about hummers these past few days. It sounds like many of them uild another nest very near the area that they have found and like. Some are laying in the new nest as soon as the last babies fledge. I hope you get to see your little Jewel nest again. Perhaps she will use this nest. I have also read of one that used materials from the old nest in building a new one.
Is your Parrotlet young? I too would enjoy a pic.

Sheri

Can you post a link to the web cam, Sheri? I would love to see them in action.

Pelletory posted this link to the hummingbird cam in the bird watching forum. The cam and story behind it made the paper in San Jose...very neat! I haven't had the heart to watch since the eggs fell out of the nest :-(

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hummingbird-babies-webcam

I had a parrotlet for 14.5 years, and was just heartbroken when he died. I finally got my little Quique last fall, and he is now 5 months old. He is quite the character, and has gotten quite sassy and seems to be going through...errr....puberty. He is quite enamored with large coffee cups at the moment, for some reason. LOL. He just got his "big boy" coloring, after a rather dramatic molt. Here is a pic of him as a baby. He is hard to take photos of, since they mostly turn out blurry because he is constantly in motion, looking for his next adventure ;-).

Thumbnail by sunnyg

Here he is with his new adult bright blue streaks by his eyes. He was "helping" me break up some of his food...he is always such a helpful guy. LOL

edited for typo...oops

This message was edited Feb 18, 2009 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by sunnyg

Oh, he's beautiful, Sunny!

Thanks for the link.

Edited to add: That is so cool. You can leave the link up and hear the mom when she buzzes in to feed the babies!

This message was edited Feb 18, 2009 10:02 AM

Thanks, apparently Quique thinks he's pretty darn beautiful too, since his favorite thing to say is "you're so cute," and he only talks when he thinks he's alone. ;-)

Yes, isn't that webcam neat? I did the same thing...leave a tab open, and then when I heard the mom's wings I would quickly switch over to view the feeding.

Thanks for the info on nest-building, Sheri. I am really hoping I get to see another nest. It finally stopped raining today and the sun is even out, but so far I haven't seen any sign of the hummers today. I left the feeder up, so hopefully that will attract mama back to the neighborhood.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

he is beautiful Sunny - how fun to have him around !

The nest link is cool - are they almost ready to leave the nest ?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

redtootsiepop....you missed some post ...go back and read. There was a bad storm with bad results.

Ignore me.....I need to go back and read. LOL!

This message was edited Feb 22, 2009 12:49 PM

I think she's talking about the webcam of the next on the patio lights. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hummingbird-babies-webcam

and another!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hummingbird-nest-cam

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep...my bad. I watched one on utube the other day that was fantastic. But they are not the same as seeing them in person I am sure.

Sunny, I'm curious....how do you pronouce "Quique's" name? and where did his name come from?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

tee hee Sheila, I do that all the time.... and my sentence could've been a bit more clear!

Awww...look at those little hummers on ustream, so cute! I miss my little mama, but we had quite a storm again last night, and I doubt she would have been able to withstand the wind. RTP, did you get some good rain up in Livermore as well?

There are definitely still hummers in the area. I saw one drinking from the feeder by the nest this morning, and I wonder is it's the mama. After feeding, he/she zipped over the fence and I lost track of her near the oleander hedge on the adjoining property. I saw one hanging out around that area last week as well, and I really hope she is not going to build a nest in the oleander hedge. That hedge is frequently and severely pruned, and also patrolled by a leaf blower wielding maintenance crew on a weekly basis.

Fifi, Quique is pronounced Kee Kay. It's a nickname for Enrique (Henry). Henry means "home ruler," and since Quique is pretty much in charge around here...it just seemed appropriate ;-).

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

well I wasn't pronouncing it right in my head - love the name! Yes, we were wet here and again today. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, I'll definitely be working outside :)

HA..me either. i was saying kwi-cue. cue from computer/programming being in the queue. or que.

I need a new feeder. mine was a gift and its really more 'artsy' than functional so the liquid keeps molding.

or maybe its me.

LOL yeah, that's the problem with Quique's name. I was trying to figure out some easier way to spell it...but couldn't. ;-)

I think mold forming on the feeders is fairly common, and you just have to wash/bleach the feeders out really well. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in on this one. I haven't had feeders for years, and usually just plant hummer flowers. My neighbor has a feeder up in the summer, and we were talking over the fence and he mentioned that the hummingbirds weren't coming to his feeder much anymore. As we were talking, a hummingbird came into my yard and starting feeding from a salvia. He noticed and said I stole his hummingbirds..LOL.

This good old red salvia is such a trooper, and very popular with my little buddies...here is a pic of it from yesterday:

Thumbnail by sunnyg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.