Hybridizers on the Lily Auction

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I want to share my experience with my recent LA win here. I received my auction wins from Smokeys gardens and I am not sure how happy I am with them... The one that I had really wanted is two fans but like others have said they are very small. They don't look like blooming size fans but rather little offsets. The others I got are larger if I don't count the bonus plant they sent which is just as small looking and had a fungus or mold of some sort on the roots. Along with one other that had the same thing but not as bad. There was a funny odor to this one as well. The roots were wrapped in damp newspaper and placed inside a plastic bag - then stapled closed. It says in their directions they included that you don't need to soak them over night as they are dug washed and shipped the same day. I got these very quickly after paying for them so I find this hard to believe due to the way the foliage looks. The roots also didn't look as though they were just dug within a few days. They were shriveled and brown looking, not firm like other daylilies I have ordered. So I soaked them overnight with a teaspoon of liquid fertilizer like has been recommended by highly rated daylily growers. I went to check on them and the roots look a lot better now. The only thing I can do now is plant them and hope they make it through winter, then wait to see what the flowers look like. Hopefully they are what they are supposed to be.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. I did not get my order from them in that condition. I guess I was lucky. They also didn't wrap mine in plastic. I wonder if they have a lot of different people packaging the plants.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just had an issue with Gardenfantasies and seeds. After the above comment..I decided to contact them..I mean if they are selling good plants...you souldnt want to mess that up with bad seeds.
I had my money back in minutes...which wasnt the issue. The issue was they said it was their first year with seeds and thanked me for telling him.her. Thats the issue, and thats someone who will not pick those seeds so early next time and is, Im betting, checking other seeds to be sent out, I sure hope so.
Altho Im not buying anymore this year, thats the kind of attitude that will make me buy again and will take them as far with seeds as the good comments on plants they send.

Boy its a shame too about the seeds...they have some excellent crosses and sent excellent bonuses...will try again net year.

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

I've had bad luck with Smokeys too.........but I also won some "organically" grown daylilies in the spring from Pondsidegardens, that just have not produced anything. They were fine when I received them. I have them marked, so I will wait until next year and see.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

My daylilies from Smoky's came packaged the same as Meredith's did. Though the roots on mine looked real good..
Hostalily, I won some plants early spring 2007 from Pondsidegardens and got the same as you. I'm thinking they must have been very young plants because I still haven't seen blooms on them after 2 summers. I haven't bid on any of their auctions sense. I expect to be buying mature blooming size fans. Especially when their starting price is often more than what you could buy the daylily for if you just bought it on a website. I was new and have sense learned to compare prices.

Joy

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I will be able to tell you more about Pondsidegardens next year. I bought a bunch from Suzanne. Most are growing great, but only a couple have bloomed since they were planted in June.

Nowhere To Hide is one of them and I love it. This is the same flower in shade and sun.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2009 7:03 PM

Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It was a wierd summer here. None of the plants I acquired in the spring bloomed for me. That is quite unusual.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

That is unusual Cindy. How disappointing. I had many plants that bloomed last year but didn't this year. But most of my new plants did. After being told that rebloom isn't too common here, I've had quite a bit of rebloom. And something I thought was pretty weird and disappointing was out of 200 seedlings (all 2 years old) I only got maybe 10 of them that bloomed. Guess I'm not too picky, I thought that most of the 10 were worth keeping around. But now I've got to wait another year to hopefully see the other 190 seedlings bloom.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That is strange. You sure would think you would get more bloom than that. I don't know. It has been a wierd summer. Even the plants that I dug for orders didn't bounce back like they normally do.

Poland, ME

Does anyone know who Lilyfan is?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I quilt with her on the quilting forum, exchange blocks and such, I have seen her bidding on the LA and keep meaning to chat with her about daylilies. Like I say, over there...its fabric. lol

Cartersville, GA

Can anyone tell us who Tragar is? What can you tell us about Tragar? We won one and have had zero communication from him/her. One sided communication is not good.

Franklin, TN

Doris, I won a daylily from him last fall and he sent great plants. I think he is the Pacific Northwest somewhere - maybe Oregon. His name is Richard Aikers. Good luck.

Ann

Fleming, OH

Mainiac - Lilyfan stops in here every once in a while. She used to be a regular on Tinkers with some beautiful photography that landed in the Eureka Daylily guide a couple of yrs ago. I think her interests have shifted away from daylilies a little. That happens!

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

Casshigh, that is most unusual. I have bought several times from Tragar. Always great plants. He is in Oregon and does hybridize. Sometimes, he will post photos on gw of his seedlings. If you don't hear from him soon, dmail me (if you want) and I will check to see what email addy I have used with him.

There is a Lilyfan and a Lilyfantn....just fyi...

Cartersville, GA

Thanks, Ann and gone_gardening. I feel better. I know his feedback was positive. I will email again. Maybe he is really busy.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I had one seller not respond for several days. It turned out they had gone out of town because of a family emergency. Hope everything turns out OK.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just got a tongue lashing yesterday from a seed seller. He asked if I liked dips or tets...well...he asked lol. He did ask another question about paying, but I answered the dips or tets ?.
I got a response back that he taught school and his students sent stuff to his email and to not send him any more chat...he just wanted his ? answered. Wowza. that surprised me.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Pam,
Maybe he was just having a fit. ;)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hahahahahahahahahhaaaaa. lololol...good one.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Man, the moon in a bad phase or what?? LOL

Cartersville, GA

I feel sorry for his students. He doesn't sound very personable!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I bought City Of New Orleans from Cajunkid?. I made Paypal payment and then after that started having trouble with Paypal so started sending checks. Never recieved any Email from him. Today I get a notice from the LA that I had not paid for it and he had Emailed me 3 times about it. I checked and never got one. I did check my bank statememnt and the Paypal was not in there so sent him an Email and said I would send a check. I hope this does not hurt my LA rating.

Poland, ME

Do you have a spam blocker. That may be why you didn't get his emails. Is the email addy on the LA correct for you? These are a couple of things to check. In addition, if he leaves bad feedback, you can ask the LA to post a rebuttal

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Anyone know these sellers on LA? Tragar, Packrat, Curve, Lightman, Rosy and Softballkid4u??

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Softballkid4U is Angelo Brunetti. I recently got a couple of plants from him and they were super.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, thanks Leslie. I will edit and add him to the list above.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, there is no edit link so I guess it can't be edited.

Cartersville, GA

We have won daylilies from Packrat (Randy & Cindy Fleming) last year and this year and were very pleased with the quality of daylilies and communication. We won a daylily from Tragar (Rogers Garden) this fall. I never got any communication from him after 3 email requests. He did ship a very healthy daylily and bonus. I may not deal with him in the future because of the communication issue. Lily Auction wins are a two-way street. Lightman is Wayne and Jo Taunton. We have won daylilies from them over a two year period. Their daylilies are not as large as what you might expect from South Georgia, but they may not get the water, fertilizer, etc. that others down there give theirs. We have been to their garden, believe them to be honest people, and they do deliver in a timely manner and the communication is good. Also, the Tauntons' garden will be on the tour on the 2010 AHS National in Valdosta, Ga. in June.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for your input Casshigh!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

When Tracie sees this she can go in and do it.

Cartersville, GA

Angelo Brunetti also sells under the name of "Angelo", and I agree with Leslie that he is super.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Curve is Curvin and Carol Miller. I have bought from them twice. Once last fall for shipment this spring and more recently for this fall. Both times I was very satisfied. Communication was good and I received extra fans as bonuses. For this fall I won 2 3F of PRISCILLA'S RAINBOW and a 3F of MINI PEARL. I received 2 4F clumps of PR and a huge 8F clump of MP.

I have also ordered from Lightman (the Tautons) last fall for shipment this spring. It was a huge order, 31 plants and 13 of them had at least 1 extra fan. As Casshigh said, they were not the huge leaks sometimes received from the south, but they were all healthy plants with good roots. I was very pleased with what I received in the spring.

I would order from either again if I saw something that I liked.

Laura

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

This is a great thread with all the information about lots of sellers. The most enlightening to me were the ones about Smokeysgardens. I have seen their auctions listed on the LA and wondered because the prices seemed too low. I will be avoiding them now that I have read this. Glad to be warned about both the tiny fans and the misnamed plants. I knew I read about Smokeysgardens somewhere but just couldn't remember were until I found this.

Has anyone bought from kingbirdhouse(Kim King) before? I won Grand Old Flag and sent an email on Monday for Pay Pal info but have not heard back from her yet.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, many times.

Cartersville, GA

We have gotten daylilies from Kim King, too, several times. She's usually good about communication and sends good plants. We are expecting three DLs from her any day.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I baught from Kim King last year and this year for Spring. Good Communicatin and very nice plant last spring and just yesterday a nice Email and not telling me about the plant and wishing me a nice cozy winter. I wonder if the E Mail got dropped or she just missed it as is so busy right now.

I will send another one tonight. Glad to hear she is good tho!!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Has anyone dealt with BROOKS. I bought 3 instant buys and wach one has a different shipping price and a different additional for multiple buys shipped together. I sent a Email but she has not had time to respond as just sent it.

I already got an Email back from her and she said she raised to the $9.00 plus $2 for additional but felt it was to much and has not gotten around to changing it so gave me the lower shipping. Now that was nice to hear.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 6:56 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.