Hybridizers on the Lily Auction

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

suburban is Earl Watts

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the heads-up.....I was kind of leary about this one....always go with my gut instinct.
Glad I always pass it by.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 3:51 PM

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm disappointed to hear that about Smokey's. I bought several plants from them on ebay and a few from their website as well. They'll be delivered this spring.

Joy

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

I checked and they are the same seller. On eBay they are Smokeys Home and Garden Center, and they do have a 100% feedback.

My experience is my experience.....if anyone else has better...that's great!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

This statement was copied from Smokeys gardens 'about me' on the LA.
'Quote" Our commitment is to provide our customers with the best value and first rate service. We guarantee our Daylily plants to be true to their name and verified through the American Hemerocallis Society. We also guarantee them to reach you in good and healthy condition. If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied, just contact Smokeys Gardens for a refund within 30 days of purchase, including a full refund of the shipping and handling charges. Daylily customers are also granted access to lifetime replacements of the same plant or a plant of equal value on every purchase."End Of Quote"
So it sounds like if I'm not happy with my purchase they'll refund the entire amount including shipping.
Lifetime replacement of the plants they sell too. And it sounds like they've been selling daylilies for more than 30 years. I felt it was worth checking them out.
Time will tell. I'll let you all know when I get my order for them this spring.

Joy

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Joy......please do let us know. I hope your plants turn out beautifully!

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Scooter30 is: Mary Hamilton

San Rafael, CA(Zone 9a)

"Anybody know anything about...Smokeysgardens...??? "

They don't sell what they advertise, at least not on eBay. Three 2-fan daylilies ended up being 6 one-fan daylilies, moreover, with what I would describe as immature roots. Despite their claims, only one bloomed last season, in the first season. Undeniably, their fans are healthy and likely to bloom in the 2nd season. But, I wouldn't recommend buying from them. Especially after having quality experiences with Blueridge daylilies, which is the gold standard, as far as I'm concerned. : )

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

When you say that you received 6 one-fan daylilies, do you mean that you got three sets of 2 SF bundled together instead of 3 sets of connected DL?

There is some debate on what the 2F description means. To some it means that you get 2 fans that might or might not be connected. Many call fans that are connected a DF to distinguish them from a bundle of 2 separate fans. The problem can be that the person selling does not know if the fans are connected until they dig. Sometimes when I have received DL with the description of 2F I get connected fans and sometimes I get 2 separate fans.

That said, this does not address the issue of the roots. When you say immature what do you mean? (No big bulbous roots?) How big were the fans?

Can you tell us when they were planted? I am assuming last spring of 2008 if you were expecting bloom. Remember that many plants will go into transplantation shock and may not bloom their first year (or even their second).

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

OMG....I wish I had seen this earlier...well I have, I just didnt know who nicole harry was. I fought her for two straight years for seeds...thing is I thought it was a guy, and I never ever would have thought about Her. ERRRRRRR making me mad just thinking about it, I guess I better go out and look at that Fire Coral and be glad she got the seeds. She is a brutal bidder, actually, there is no seed she wants she wont get.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I ordered one plant from Smokeysgardens this spring and they sent a very nice mature double fan.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I just came across this one last week on the web. On their LA descriptions they state that they strive for 100% postive feedback and if you can't give it to let them know why. Have you contacted them?

I don't really get that upset over rather the fans are connected or not...means I can plant in more than I spot or easier to share with a friend!! Now the root issue is another matter...maybe pot them up for awhile before planting in the ground.

Here is a link to their website... http://www.smokeysgardens.com/

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know the seller ihatebugs. They are getting out of daylilies and have a lot listed.

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

I had bad luck with smokeys gardens...like I said before, and they do sell on eBay too.

hemlady...........I noticed that name "ihatebugs" this morning. It seems like they are tired of spending on plants and losing them. I dont know if I want to take a chance on them or not.

I won a SF of Screaming Pumpkins" last week from a new seller named "rosie". Well they came today.....the leaves/fans are nice.......she included 2.....at least I hope they are Screaming Pumpkins...........but the roots are so small, I dont even know if they are going to take! Good thing I only paid $10, or I would be REALLY PO'd. I emailed her tonight, I am wondering if I will get an answer..............they didnt even inlcude a note or a marker....I had to look the address up on the LA.

Will try to take pics tomorrow...my camera is not acting right.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

ihatebugs seems to have a lot of negative ratings...I wouldn't chance it.

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

I just read the feedback of ihatebugs on the LA...........

They received REFUNDS from most of what they bought because of the "bad winter".............now they are selling the fans.

I would AVOID this seller like the plague. JMHO

Leah

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well I am done buying for now anyway so I definitely won't buy from them.

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

HostaLily, If I am reading it right, ihatebugs sold plants over the winter that did not make it or looked so bad that he/she gave refunds. I guess ihatebugs became so upset/angry that he/she lost so much, that he/she is selling the rest (even what ihatebugs bought over the winter). The person that gave ihatebugs the negative feedback said they were pleased with the one they got (got refunds on 5 others).

I do not know who ihatebugs is, just looks like they are selling out. I would still be cautious if I decided to bid.

Lisa

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Maybe I read it wrong....or my coffee didnt kick in :-/

Regardless, I would not buy from them.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I promised to report back on Smoky's Gardens when I received the plants.
I got them last month. All are growing nicely and a couple already have scapes.
The plants came in a small square priority box. Each plant had it's roots wrapped in damp newspaper and was placed in a baggie. Plants weren't real big but all plants had nice looking roots, and over all the plants looked real healthy. Sent extra fans on some and a couple packs of annual seeds as a bonus. But they forgot to send the plants I ordered on their site. When I contacted them they sent them out right away.
For the same price and sometimes even less, I've gotten larger plants from other growers.
But if they have something you can't find elsewhere I'd say order it from them. They take much care in their packaging and the plants arrive looking very fresh. I didn't even bother to soak these, they didn't look like they needed it and took off right away when planted. Overall I was very pleased with my order.

Joy

Poland, ME

There are still a few sellers on the LA that buy plants and are selling the second fan before they actually get them or they buy them in the fall and try to sell them during the winter and then the plants don't make it.
seller for you: Sorry if I repeated some from above
Leightonhill: Lisa Rodaway
Twostooges: Bryan Powers
Dayloomer: Nan Wilkerson
Mljomo: James Hall
Cindy: Cindy Dye
KYgarden: Judy Waddell

All are dependable and good sellers.

Fredericksburg, VA

Mainiac, im sorry, it has been a long week. Are you saying the ones you listed were good or bad?

Poland, ME

They are all great sellers!

Poland, ME

FYI, fellow gardeners. The rules on the auction have been changed once again.

http://daylily.com/auctionfiles/guidelines.html#springdel

http://daylily.com/auctionfiles/guidelines.html#resp

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Mainaic,

Thanks for sharing. I can honestly say I had never read the rules before since I have never sold. The new rules address exactly what you mentioned above about turn around plants. I hope the new rules help reduce the sellers that are on there just trying to make a quick buck on a turn-a-round plant (at least the bidder will be informed)

I personally have been quite lucky and 99% of what I have purchased on the LA have been from reputable sellers with long positive histories (most are listed above☺).

Lisa

Poland, ME

I have heard that Smoky's Garden is using piuctures by other people and putting their name on it. I know this to be true because someone I know has had it happen.

Tomah, WI

DrBud is Hilliard Lawler. Sends great plants.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for letting us know about the changes. They sound great.

San Rafael, CA(Zone 9a)

Ditchlily, so sorry about not getting back to you sooner (a family health crisis cropped up). About Smokeysgardens daylilies.... They sent six separate fans (and I'd expected 3 sets of double-fans). When I mentioned the roots were 'immature,' I meant that they were only 3" long, and the trimmed fans about 3" as well. I guess I'm spoiled, since Blue Ridge Daylilies lives up to the fotos in its ads - the roots covering a 10" (or larger) dinner plate. (And except for the most expensive - $100+ - they also tend to send 3 fans in place of the 2 that they advertise.)

My recollection is that I received and planted Smokeys' daylilies in mid May, which in my part of the Bay Area tends to be fairly cool, 65 degrees day, 55 degrees at night. In any case, a few weeks later I received Blue Ridge's daylilies (EE thru ML)- which I planted in early June and all of them bloomed last summer. The bud count wasn't huge last year, but thus far all have bud counts this year along the lines of what I was expecting.

Nanny, I never did contact them again, because it was clear that they would *eventually* produce scapes; and they have this year & thus far (they're ML's) look just fine. Once again, since I'm using Blue Ridge as the gold standard, I'd be reluctant to buy from Smokeys again unless I couldn't find a specific lily from someone else.

Just in general, I'm *really* glad for these forums! You guys are great! : )) Thanks for the comments, and for helping me manage my expectations. :)) Elizabete

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Elizabete: Hope everything crisis-wise was successfully resolved. Glad to hear that they seem to be doing well this year. We do tend to get spoiled and want ALL the DL we order to look like those from our favorite sellers. I have ordered from Blue Ridge before and they do send beautiful plants. When one has become accustomed to the extraordinary, the merely average does not wow!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Tracie, how do you sign up for the Trademart? This Fall I should have several.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

You can add mee also, as I post on the LA ocasionally.
dorothian= Dorothian Meyer

West Newfield, ME

I'm hybridizing a bit and have one intro. that I need to register. My username on the L.A. is Celosia.

Lisa

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Congratulations Lisa!!!

Pictures, please.

Tomah, WI

I was lucky enough to win Jerry's Whirlygig from Lisa this spring. She sent a beautiful daylily! She is a delightful seller!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Another hybridizer is Donna Brooks (Brooks on the LA). She incorporates the name Big Cabin when naming her plants. I've been buying from her for a couple years. She's very reliable and has good communication. Her fans are always big and healthy. I bought her Big Cabin Beginnings two years ago and it's done very well in my northern garden. She also sells other DLs. A lot of them are in the $7 and under category.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I bought from her for spring delivery and was not disappointed. I received very nice fans.

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Donna Brooks is a peach. I bought a few from her this past spring, and was not disappointed at all. I also bought a lot of her unnamed/lost tag lilies, and they are growing like crazy! I love surprises! LOL

Poland, ME

I noticed a new seller this week gpierce. Must by Guy Pierce.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

well we bought 4 fans of 'his'. Will report soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.