CLOSED: SEEDS FOR NEWBIES #3

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

We already need a new thread. Lots of us dial uppers are suffering slow computer itis. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/932800/

Hi, some of us "oldies" would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Daves. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months and are a PAYING member.

Here's the deal. Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Of course you'll need to let us know you are sending your envy. lol You will get a good variety of good seeds.

If you can, stick a llittle note in your envy and tell me they types of things you like. Veggies and Flowers, some seeds you are looking for, stuff like that. It will help me fill your envy. I can't always get just what you ask for, but will try.

Send 5 stamps and a label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them. That stuff is "tuff" and I end up with mangled envy's going back to you

Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. I've just gotten some with postage due. Don't know why one is 84 cents and another is $1.00. Specially when same size envy. PO told me because they are from diff zones. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course. I always pay the extra but it does add up.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange

Oldies! lol If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back

Since I've had such good response , I've started sending seeds out on two day a week. I try to send out on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I wish I could guarantee I'd send them out the day after I get them, but it's busier now, so I can't always. I try to spend one whole day seperating and labeling seeds, and then 2 fixing up the packets and mailing.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 10:18 AM

Thumbnail by LorraineR
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Stupid queston. But where do I find the addresss exchange?
Thanks,
Lisa

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Lisa there are no stupid questions!!! Here you go.
http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey guys. Got more newbie packs off today.!!! This is so fun!
I'll be gone today and tomorrow to help Maggie at the nursery tomorrow, so I may not get back online till Sunday. So my faithful sidekick will help with anythng you need. Thanks Arejay.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Ok have fun!!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

While your at it Lorraine enjoy it for us too OK LOL. Just send some of the warmth to us and I 'd be grateful.

Orlando, FL

I have a few extra veggie seeds, could you use them for the newbies or is it just flowers? I will look around and see what I have extra of.

I remember my newbie pack first time....how exciting. I looked and looked at it and looked up pictures it was so fun. Then when I had so many little seedlings...it was exciting....Now a yard that will soon be full of flowers again. This a good thing you are doing

Happy Gardening All

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Lorraine said that some of the newbies were wanting veggie seed so if you got them send them to her.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Im still a newbie though my seed pack came back in like November. Any sees are fun when you are getting started, send them all...Bushes ,trees, flowers, Veggies, Herbs. There are so many new people everyday and they love to get the little package. I love to send out the letters and I think Lorraine loves to send out the envelopes. So keep them coming.
You are all so generous with you newbie seed gifts.
Robin

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

It's me. Back again. Not gone yet. Been outside in this spring like weather looking at all the plants that have started sprouting cause they don't know if it's spring or winter. Poor babies.

Ditto what Arejay said, veggies are needed!

Clifton, TX(Zone 8a)

I got my envelope today. I am absolutely overwhelmed. The generosity of the people on this site is incomprehensible. Thank you all so much. I received seeds I have never heard of and many I have been wanting to try. The little seeds packs are so colorful and cute. I do have a question regarding one pack of seeds. I received 1 small plastic baggie with 3 very large round seeds in it. They look like a small dark gumball but they are not labeled so I don't know what they are. Any ideas?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are all very dear, sweet people.

Orlando, FL

I have not sent seeds in for this before...tell me the best way to do it. Do I make individual seed packs or just send one package of each thing I have and you seperate them? Sorry...I am on a different end then before. Tell me what to do and I will do it. I have at least 3 kinds of tomato, lemon basil and lettuces to send. I have not looked at all my seeds yet. But will over the weekend. I need to thin a few things out...what better way then to share.

Thanks for your help.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Moofiepoo,
It would be great if you would seperate and label them and be sure to put your DG Name on the package. Then go to the address exchange find LorraineR and mail them to her put donation newbies on it or in the package somewhere.
Thank You Moofiepoo from me Lorraine and all the newbies that will plant your seeds.
Robin
address exchange
http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

TDhanks a lot Moofie. Without all you guys who send seeds, I"d never be able to make all these newbies happyl I am overwhelmed at how generous you all are.!!

Here's what I did this weekend. Went to help Maggie plant seeds for the nursery and I nefer want to see another seed again. lol Just think about the work it will be to get all that stuff re potted when they outgrow the flats. Yowser!!! lol

Thumbnail by LorraineR
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh Lorraine you know you will have fun doing it. I know I would. LOL

Fayetteville, GA(Zone 7b)

Lorraine, Robin...
I am mailing a bubble wrap envelope to Lorraine tomorrow with my DG name, email, address, stamps, etc enclosed!!...I will include a note/letter too, but I have never started anything from seed - and am not sure how successful I could be. Is it possible to direct sow the seeds when it warms up here...I live in zone7b, Fayetteville GA...

I am trying to get my hummer/butterfly garden b ack in shape..i put it in 5 years ago..but have been so menopausal, I could not work it!!...soit got overrun w/ briars...uugghh....I got a lot done today...but wound up havingv to spray roundup on a small area...I also have birds, bird feeders...and especially love blue birds..and I cater to them!!...

anyway...thanks in advance for the seeds...and any advice you can give..
I am really looking forward to reading these blogs!!!

melanie

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey girl, will try and send stuff to direct sow that are easy, zinnias and stuff like that. Just be sure to include a little note telling me what you posted here. Trust me, you don't want to depend on my memory!!! Be looking for the envelope.

Youre right FF, I do love it, but feell guilty working on all those when I have my own to do something with. lol But with all those I bet there will be some for me there. If they come up.!!!

Connellys Springs, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi, LorraineR!

I just got my packages of seeds today. I can't thank you enough for your donation to my Newbie Cause! You've outdone yourself. And thanks, too, to LazLo, Roser207 and Mygypsyrose for your donations to LorraineR. Your seeds were in my package. A hearty thanks to all! Happiness is a flower garden!

Thumbnail by wuzo15
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

aren't those pretty??

Thief River Falls, MN(Zone 3b)

I am not a newbie to DG, but I am in WSing. Do I qualify? If I dont, can I send for some of your seeds?
Just wondering, I still have a long winter to go!
Thank you!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Wuzo, I wouldn't be surprised if when you open the little packet of Purple Coneflowers..you find that they came from Jim (Potagere) in France.. that's where my newbie seeds came from anyway :)

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Not sure who those coneflowers came from. Have had lots of them come in from diff. people. I try to get everyone's names on the packets when I package them up, but miss some I know. If they are packaged before they get to me, I hope ya'll will put your name on them so the newbies know who they came from.
The ones you got probably did come from J9im, I just didn't get his name on them. Shame on me. Some french seeds for your garden.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm a newbie and am a first-time WSer, too. I am sending my bubble envy with stamps today. Thanks so much, Lorraine, and the other "oldies" for sharing!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Wowie, Zowie, Super HOLY COWIE!!

Just got my Newbie package back from Lorraine! Crammed with all manner of neat stuff from other members. Man, this stuff comes from all over the world. I can't possibly imagine the different people and places involved here.

Many thanks to all who donated, and especially to Lorraine for sending out these newbie packs! The system works, folks.

Al

Bellefonte, PA(Zone 5b)

wuzo15 So glad you got some of my seeds! Have Fun.
Roser207

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to thank Lorraine & everyone who gave seeds for the newbies project.
I got my seed packets the other day and WOW! I couldn't believe how cute and how many there were!
I appreciate everyone who has helped with this. {{{Big hugs to all!}}}

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I've been mostly away the past 2 weeks for knee surgery. Is there still time to send you an envelope Lorraine?? My stamps will be the ones that are good even when the rates go up, so please use 42cent stamps on my envelope (if I can still join in --I joined DG in July, so I guess I qualify as a 'newbie'- right?
Sheri

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes Sheri you are still a newbie. Just send the envelope out to LorraineR. Glad to hear you are back and healing.
Robin

Willis, VA

Hello all,

I'm glad that I found this site as I get ready for planting new gardens in the spring, and I'm *especially* glad I found this thread early on! I'm sending my labels and stamps out today, thanks so much! GR

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey guys. Glad you are pleased with the seeds you are getting!
Again, I'm sorry if some of your seeds get sent out with out your names on them "oldies". I do try to make sure they are there. I know how much trouble it is collecting, cleaning, etc and then sending them out.
So if you guys get seeds without a name on it, please remember there is a person somewhere who spent lots of time seeing you got some cool seeds. Lots of seeds come to me without names on them either, so I'm not sure whose d mail name to put on them. I just wnat to make sure you get credit for all your hard work getting them to me.
Looking for all your "newbie" envy's. I'll get them back to ya!!!!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Forgot. Another thank you to Arejay who is watching the thread for me when I can't be here and who is sending d mails to all the new people telling them about the thread. THANK YOU AGAIN, ROBIN.
And THANK YOU AGAIN, to all you oldies. Without your seeds, I'd have to close up "shop" and "shut er down" Now I'm able to keep "Getting er dun"

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

LoL Lorraine!! You are funny!!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

You should tell my family that. They just think I'm crazy as a loon.

Spring, TX

I was so excited to get my envie back yesterday, and it was packed with seeds! I can't wait until this weekend to get started! You guys are so generous and thoughtful! Thanks to Lorraine, Arejay, beckygardener, aardvark7, mittsy, smegtone, elleisn, pamsaplantin, and everyone else who contributes to this project!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Spring,
What a great name !! Good idea. Now get planting so we can see you put up a trade list!!!

Steelville, MO(Zone 6a)

I am a little behind posting I sent for my free seeds a couple of weeks ago, I think lol. Life has been very hectic around here. I can't wait for spring to arrive. I want to thank everyone who shares seeds and Lorraine for all she does.I am so excited to see what I get! I will post when they arrive......Thanks,Tina

Danville, IN(Zone 5b)

Lorraine, I'll be sending you some seeds to share. A lot of them I have received from DG members in trades, swaps, etc. and I know I won't be using them. Hopefully someone else can. Mostly vegetables, but I'll try to include some flowers as well. I'll get this in the mail to you early next week.

Bless you for your work ... I'm sure the recipients are most grateful.

Steelville, MO(Zone 6a)

I was very excited to recieve my seeds the other day right after I posted.Was kinda wierd at the same time lol.I recieved all kinds of cool seeds can't wait to get them started. Thanks Again to everyone who makes this possible......Tina

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Your so welcome. The whole thing is just magical isn't it?

Friendsville, TN

Hi Lorraine,
I am going to mail my envy tomorrow. This will be my first experience with starting seeds and cant wait to get started. I have two huge Empty raised beds in my front yard and am looking forward to filling them. I love colorful flowers but being a beginner I'm not sure what to start with, so far all I have is a dwarf alberta spruce and an ornamental tree (I think it is called Orange Peel). I so appreciate your help getting started and any advice you could offer would be great too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.