You know you're a gardener when.... (revisited)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

wintertime is the perfect time to think about this.

You know you're a gardener when you look at a "dead" plant and exclaim how beautiful it is, because you can visualize how pretty it will be when it wakes up.

You know you're a gardener when you can find your garden gloves faster than you can find your mittens.

you know you're a gardener when you are slightly disappointed you got a fancy sweater for Christmas, when what you reallly wanted was a couple of bags of manure

you know you're a gardener when you can quickly distinguish between BS and BS (blackspot) when chatting online

you know you're a gardener when the first thing you locate while rummaging thru your purse is your pruning shears instead of the car keys or CP

OK, who's next?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

You know you're a gardener when you choose a restaraunt based on the landscaping.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

When you are more excited to find lost seeds in your pocket than money.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

When you take more pictures of the plants at the zoo than the animals, or gasp! your grandkids!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

When your front deck looks like you're running a garden center out of your house...or when you have to clear a path through the pots to get in and out of your house.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh yeah, good one, I can relate to that!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for reminding me. It's garbage night, so I now have to go move some of those hundreds of container plants in my driveway, which are waiting patiently for a bare space in the landscape, to get the garbage cans out to the street.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

When you look at dead flowers to see if there are any seeds there.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

When you collect seed from the centerpiece at your table in the restaurant.
When a road construction site becomes a shopping site for rocks
When most of your kitchen serverware, bakeware and appliances are designated garden tools.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Good One!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

yes. excellent in fact ! And so true !

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I 'rescued' some Agastache seeds from a planter at a snooty shopping center once. And I used the tissue paper from the fancy underpants store to wrap them up.

How about, when you have to clear all the plants off your dining room table if you have guests over for dinner.
or
When you have a houseguest and have to move all of the plants and grow lights out of their shower.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

I have a jacuzzi that fits that description. LOL

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

When you cut the granite from your old kitchen counters to fit your potting bench.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous, Pirl. I hope the plants appreciate what they are getting. ;)

It gets too hot to work there. It is good for the caladiums and dahlias - they love the warmth when they start out in spring.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

When you turn your unused hot tub/spa into a plant stand.

I'm sure I saw someone had done that here at DG.

Probably me!

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

And now the ultimate, raise your hand if this sounds familiar.
You carry a baggy around to collect compost from from leftovers from eating out?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

When your neighbors don't recognize you because you're not in your pjs, garden clogs, and carrying a cup of coffee.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

...and dancing and singing. I'm so with you pollyk.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Definitely the dancing and singing. I though I was the only one that did that. I do it very early in the AM, though. And we're very isolated.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have no pride. I do it up and down the driveway in my very urban neighbourhood. My neighbours peek through the curtains wonderin what 'the crazy garden lady' is doing now.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

When you know someone's a stranger just because he walks up to the front door and expects you to be inside the house during daylight hours. Everyone who knows me just walks into the middle of the garden and yells "Marco" until I answer "Polo."

I was reminded of another funny thing in this context just a few hours ago. Some people came to take me out to dinner and I told them I'd be ready as soon as I washed my knees. Only a gardener would say that.

My hands stay reasonably clean because they're in gardening gloves, but my knees are always dirty when I come inside.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Feets. Constantly dirty feets here.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

You know you're a gardener when....there are things rooting in your lint trap !

...there's a gallon of Clorox sitting in the bathtub for the hands, knees and feet.

somewhere, PA

I love this thread.

You know you're a gardener... when you find a tomato seedling growing out of your sink.
(it was a bathroom sink - not sure how I washed a seed down that drain!)

... when you run out in your robe & slippers at dusk & dawn to yell at the deer eating your
roses

... when you can't stand shopping anywhere except a plant nursery

... when you pick seeds off your cat to send off to a promised recipient. (she rolled on the
table where I had all my collected seed out to dry)

.... when you are excited to see the Fed Ex man deliver the worm castings you ordered

Tam

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

...when you excitedly open the box of new plants you just ordered, only to realize as you're pulling them out of the box that you have most of them already but had forgotten!

somewhere, PA

ooo ooo that reminds me of another one - kinda a correlary to yours

... when you donate a boat load of plants to a plant sale and then want to buy a plant
only to realize its one that you donated.

BTW - Zuzu I loved the "I just need to wash my knees' one. LOL

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is such a funny thread. Picking seeds off your cat for trading purposes is screamingly funny, Tammy.

I love them all and can relate to most. Amazing how clorox has become so important, one of those thing I never let go to totally out.

joyfully finding lost seeds in my pockets. done it.

freemar: I haven't done it but always wished I had one at the end of the meal.

......when you ask your friends how their plants/gardens are doing before asking about their family.

lol! that is sooo good, guilty here.

...when you talk to the nurse about her non-flowering African Violet for triple the time it takes for a simple shot.

Anchorage, AK

You know your a gardener when...

Your husband yells at you because he wants you to clean up INSIDE the house, blast the yard!
Your guest room is so full of plants you have no room for guests.
You don't have a spot left on your floor, counters, anywhere in your house...but you still MUST have that glorious being in front of you (o.k. I did that tonight)
You go to nurseries to relax.
Your outings with your friends involve nursery exploration trips & garden tours.
You've used your credit card to buy plants because you can't stop!!!!!
Your husband threatens to strip you down & hose you off outside in fall because your covered in mud from planting bulbs (and you love being that way).
Your relatives tell you you live in an atrium & your kids friends call your yard the jungle.
There is no where you'd rather be than in your yard.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How about if you go bonkers when you are on vacation because you can't bring the coffee grounds from the hotel in-room coffee pot home for the compost pile. It drive me crazy to leave them......,,

Anchorage, AK

Good one! ...but wait! Isn't that what ziploc bags are for???

This message was edited Jan 31, 2009 2:20 PM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, that works on overnights but if you plan on being gone for a week or so or if you are flying, well wouldn't that be fun to explain wet coffee grouds to the security guys.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.