You know you're a gardener when.... (revisited)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Make her admit it looks good, she wont mind it being bigger.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

you know you're a gardener when you have so many flowers, you can go outside and ask yourself: "what color arrangement shall I put together today?"

you know you're a gardener when during spring and summer you can have fresh flowers from your garden on a continuous basis.

The flowers on this vase came out of my orange bed. I could just as easily put together a yellow flowers container or a red one. Ahhhh, to be so lucky and to be so plant obsessed. PS: cheated a little with the shasta daisies--I just had to have some for this arrangement.

good day and happy obsession, everyone.

Thumbnail by vossner
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks theyre lovely

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

lovely!
which hybrid of glads are those?

Glamini Zoe. Lookie here.
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/gladiolus/65697

I've had them 2-3 years. Got them from Brecks. I sooooo recommend the Glaminis because while they're short, the flowers are almost the size of regular glads, where some of the dwarfs, such as Atom, are short AND have smaller flowers. Glaminis do not grow more that 2 ft so they don't flop over reg. glads. I also have Glamini Tom, which is a blood red shortie and my absolute favorite.

For visual impact, I think it's good to plant 5-10 of the glaminis together, gives the appearance of a bouquet. I also have the yellow one, which I think it Glamini Eva, another lovely. In the time I've had them I haven't noticed if they've multipled, but I certainly haven't lost any.

Thanks!

I want to get that one. Gladiolas seem to do really well for me, and I'd love to try the shorter ones.
-T

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I purchased some Glamini last year, and they came back for me this year. Normally glads are an annual here. They are pretty ones.

Lovely arrangement! I have lilacs and irises in the house now.

I was so looking forward to this holiday weekend, thinking I was going to find me fantastic bargains on large pots. Nyet! No dice. Nada. I did find me this red vase for $7 and just had to have it. Gathered some flowers and put this together. Roses Belinda's Dream and S. de la Malmaison, aloc. cucullata, 2 noid glads.

Thumbnail by vossner

This was supposed to be Plum Tart, but it's not. It is absolutely beautiful, I am going to mark it and move it to my blue bed eventually. It is a bluish lavender, just gorgeous.

Thumbnail by vossner

lovely. I am really beginning to like lavender colored flowers, and also reallly like glads.
beautiful :0)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I tried glaminis for the first time last year and they performed beautifully. Still had to be staked though when they flowered which was a little disappointing.

Anchorage, AK

That is good to hear. Were they in an area where they maybe didn't get enough sun or did they get plenty & flop anyway?
My mom used to have glads & she never staked them. I have yet to buy any but I look every year. Someday...

BTW the city planted Dahlias recently (it's Anchorage so we're just getting started) and I just stood and drooled for a bit.
I used to go to the Swan Island Dahlia farm in Oregon every year & wander through fields and fields of them. Drooooooooooooollllll.....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Full sun, flopped from the size of the flowers. Ya right like I'm really whining when they were that gorgeous (snort). You will have kick butt dahlias with all your sunlight hours ICFM. The AK members on the Dahlia Forum always have awesome dahlias. BTW, as an enabler, lookie a Swan Island WebCam ^_^ http://65.182.241.130/

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

took a vacation with friends and family and filled up 3 photo albums... and discovered, only after someone asked about it, that there were no pictures of people in them... except when someone was in a shot showing how large or small a plant was.

current finances mean no movies or eating out this week... the money is for bags of dirt and pots.

I marvel when I meet someone without dirt under their fingernails.

when I meet new people I find myself sometimes wondering what their scientific (latin) names are

Time off and vacations are organized around botanical gardens

the house is annoying structure taking up valuable planting space on my property

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm so with you palmbob about the bothersome big thing in the middle of the garden.

Anchorage, AK

dahlianut...OMG that's so funny! I had no idea they had a webcam LOL, perfect! Thanks for the link :)

palmbob... your line about the house is hilarious, now THAT'S a gardener!!!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You know you're a gardener when you're preparing to go on vacation and make lists of which nurseries you want to visit, the plants or pots you want to buy and making sure you bring along the battery charger and new batteries to get photos of flowers and gardens.

Then you're free to think about clothes, shoes, etc.

Thumbnail by pirl
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pirl I am going to the west coast for my bro's wedding this summer and I've started mapping and lining up nursery visits to pick up plants I can't get here. I just noticed this weekend that I confirmed a nursery appointment for yes, you guessed it, the time of the wedding ceremony (oops).

You have to set your priorities, dahlianut, and besides, he's bound to have videos and photos!

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Ha ha ha! That was great!

somewhere, PA

You know you're a gardener when a seed germinates in the bathroom sink
and you turn the lights on so it can grow.

OK - how many have had this happen? A few years ago, I found a seedling
growing from the drain and let it go until I figured out it was a tomato. Now
I have another but don't think its a tomato. I'll have to get a picture for everyone.
Maybe post it on plant & tree ID forum? :-)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You know your a gardener when working in tight spaces your Lilies goose you aka attack from behind.

Yes! Same with stakes!

somewhere, PA

Ya know you are a gardener when you keep the bathroom light
on so the seed that's germinated in your MBR sink will develop
its true leaves... so you know what it is!

Thumbnail by Tammy
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

LOL!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Tammy, you ARE a true gardener!

somewhere, PA

Any ideas of what it is? I left for a few days vacation and this is what I found.
It actually happened a few years ago but I was able to pull the seedling out
and pot it up. It was a tomato. This guy had his roots firmly twined about the
drain thingie so I'm just leaving him alone (and watering every day. At least
that is easy!) I have two sinks in the MBR bath so its no bother.

Tam

And the award for True Gardener goes to: TAMMY!!!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good grief ,thats loyalty to nature in my book

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

BRAVA! APPLAUSE! CHEER! BRAVA! Definitely award winning!!!

somewhere, PA

ah shucks. lol

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

You know your a gardener when the postman walks up and says "you have an Amazon Jungle growing here"

(Zone 7a)

When people think you're nuts because you've pulled over on the side of the road to pick some seeds!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

... and when they call the police cuz you're cutting willows in the drainage ditches with 'weapons'. As I now understand it brandishing long handled pruners is a no-no :O

Londerzeel, Belgium

When the first snow has fallen and the first thing you think is: "oh no! an invasion of mealy bugs!!"

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

First garden pictures ,most likely 1941

Thumbnail by ge1836
somewhere, PA

awfully cute! short shorts too.
Tam

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

When your 9 year old son asks if a beautiful chicken is an ornamental or an edible.

somewhere, PA

I love that one! What was the answer?
(Mine are all ornamental)

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Tammy; ornamental !!! Hahah ( and then he tried to pet the rooster, and got pecked hard!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.