Midwest Funny Farm Hatch Commencing...

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

??? Life is just that way!

I think I need to trade out my DH. Then I could do more "my" stuff and less "his".

(Zone 7b)

I went and picked up my gift yesterday at a friends house and as we were leaveing my DH made this comment about me
" I would like to have chickens when i retire that way i can be all up in it to my head and shoulders like she is"
He has never commented about my chickens in that way so i asked what he meant by that after we left and he said
" I admire the way you put all you got into what you do" I mean you know when one is sick or if it needs something and you just know what your doing"
I was just speechless i thought all along i was just dragging him thru my chickens and other animals i never knew he was actually enjoying it as much as he was.....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

that's so sweet Harmony - ya know he loves you when....!!!

Jenks - sounds right to me. We do mostly my stuff and then he does his stuff on his own time. Of course, it helps that I'm the breadwinner. By a long shot. That's my contribution, so he's gotta make his in a different way in order to keep things on an equal footing.

So chickenheads.....are you ready for duck bathtime? Pix downloading now....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ducky Bath Time thread up and running!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This one. I definitely will trade my life to do this one.
5. Duckling bath time

OK. I'm the breadwinner here too. I am doing something wrong! He brings a few rolls.....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Jenks - you bet. You gotta get him sorted out! A roll doesn't compare to a baguette.

(Zone 7b)

WOW these ladies is got props.

I hung up on him last night. Our upstairs toilet had over flowed into the wall and crawl space through the ceiling into my daughter's room. Yet another thing that happens when he's out of town on biz. I'm telling him about it and I hear him speaking to a waitress, "is it still happy hour?" click.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Ooopsie... his bun may be toast...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

He can care for the animals... I, too, am the breadwinner. DH is an artist/stay-at-home daddy. He cares for the children (human and non) and keeps the house in order and dinner on the table when I get home. :-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

My kind of man!!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Wren,
You can definitely get spoiled this way. It was such a shock when she broke his leg and wasn't able to do all of the above. Now that he's starting to feel better, its getting back to the way it was.
Kristin

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Now where can I find one like him? Must have a wicked sense of humor.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Nope. Not one as good as this one. ;-)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Jenks, apparently you are a Saint if you are going to actually permit him back in the house. That wouldn't be happenin' around these parts!! LOL!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Jenks, you'd better check out the "composting toilet" thread in the sustainable alternatives forum!

He called and apologized immediately. If he ever speaks to another person while on the phone with me again, I'll hang up on him again, and put him out in the barn. Much less be so.....stupid.

Newton, AL

I see there are outbreaks of madness on this thread too! Glad I am not the only one with spring fever and a small bit of mind warp.
Jenks, it's great your DH supports you. Mine does too, he grumbles a bit, but I hear him tell his friends about the farm with pride. He enjoys the animals too. I too, thought I was just dragging him along with my animals.
going to the duck bath thread for a quick smile.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The hatch has continued....

We are being overrun! Send in reinforcements! Bring goggles!!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Fave chickie-doodles...

this little grey one....aww....

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

This little mixed color chicklet, and I don't even know what kind it is! too many hatched at once and the eggshells were strewn about and I don't know who came from what egg...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

This little guy from my own flock's egg, no idea on parents, but he has a cute coppery brown head color.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And...one other thing....does this feathering color look right for RIR chicks? Seems really light to me, based on my one RIR rooster.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

a chirp chirp here, a chirp chirp there, here a chirp, there a chirp, everywhere a chirp chirp!! lol They are precious!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh my goodness!!! That is a lot of chicks! The Great Chick Sea! wooo hooo!!!!!
That is AWESOME!!!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's a peeper burble frenzy. Have a mentioned how much I TOTALLY LUV peeper burbe frenzies.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that feathering looks like a RIR.. the dark heads are supposed to be females..
You take the best pics! They are so cute! I love that lil bronze penny look... it will be interesting to see that one when it's fledged.

The lil mixed color one has the cutest expression! Just love em!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

If the dark heads are females, I'm lookin' at a LOT of roos!

I forgot to say what varieties are in the burble....

Rhode Island Reds
Buff Orpingtons
Silkies - partridge, white, buff
Serama - one, not sure which one
A few "extras" from mailed eggs, surprises, maybe barred rocks?
A few "home grown" egg hatchings, including Coppertop. (good name, eh?)

Upcoming next week
- mixed breeds from a pen full of barred rocks, white leghorns and buff orpingtons
- welsummers, if I'm lucky
- Ameraucanas, again, if I'm lucky!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

If you get bored looking at all the fuzzy-butt pictures, you could also check out the adventures of the garden gnome, Lingernot, in Iowa. I am participating in the adventure (he goes to visit various DG members and they take photos of what he's doing).

Here is my thread for his visit to Iowa. Today was his first day. He'll have more barnyard adventures tomorrow!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/947873/

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

CUTE!!! Both fuzzy butts and Lingernot! I am jealous that he got to drive the tractor and see all your animals though! pouting.... ;)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Claire,
If I might ask what is partridge markings? I have some of them on my chicks. Are they specific to one bread or is it a color definition?
Thanks

PS Trying to learn everything I can about chicks in a short time.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hi Miss Jestr!

Partridge markings can occur in many different breeds - it is a color definition. The mature feathers will be brown with mottled markings of darker brown and almost black. I think it is a very pretty marking. I have partridge silkies, partridge rocks (like barred rocks but they are not black and white, they are partridge), and there are partridge cochins too. I think quite a few other breeds come in the partridge color type.

Here is a picture of a mature partridge rock hen, so you can see what the coloring looks like. Partridge birds should all be some variation of this kind of coloring.

Claire

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 9:45 AM

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Wow Awesome looking feathers, I love the color. I am intrested to see what colors our new friends will be. My last friends were the rocks and grey and black so I am learning (By reading on here) there are many beautiful color birds and although they are the light tans and whites while chicks, they will not be that way when they grow up.

Thank you for the answer. I learned something today. it is a good day in the neighborhood.

Clarkson, KY

Any idea how many hatchlings you ended up with? How do you count over 100 wriggling chicks?!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL... Carefully! 100 could be 137 or 152 or 200...I think I counted that one twice or maybe three times! Aghhhhh!!!!

(Zone 7b)

OMG! Is that really how many there is!! I would lose my mind trying to take care of them all LOL

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Actually, tonight (I think) or tomorrow, we will be moving them from the current brooder into a larger brooder area. We are going to use that same aluminum tank that we had the ducks in, but now that the ducks are out in the barn, we will use the tank for the chicks. There are too many for the other brooder. I will count tonight. I think there are maybe 60 or so. But the hatching isn't over yet. Two pipped right now and more should be pipping, so...

Clarkson, KY

ooogley-gooogley, Dr Doolotz, how you keep track!! (sorry, Dahls -it was just bustin' out...)

(Zone 7b)

WOW! all i can say is just WOW!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.