Midwest Funny Farm Hatch Commencing...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Right, so after all the sad chicken losses over the holiday, I had to take a deep breath, and then get back on my feet. And thus, I begun the new year with some egg buying binges on eggbid, and also obtained some from a fellow chicken lover at work.

Today, the hatch has begun. I started with 168 eggs incubating. That number is slowly going down from time to time on candling results.

Today, first 3 hatched, and 5 pips. The problem is, in my overzealous excitement about incubating eggs again, I completely forgot to write on which egg what the breed was. I think, but I am not sure, that these first three candidates are Rhode Island Reds. I think.

Doing the happy hatching dance anyway (interspersed with Obamallama shimmies)
Moxy

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

SoooOOoOOOooOoooooOO CUTE!

Ferndale, WA

So cute: never get tired of seeing new babies. Mox was it strictly a virus that took your babies, or was it the cold weather? Haystack

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Haystack - I think it was a combination. I had sold a baby frizzle and a baby silkie to a lady at a poultry show we went to and it was just after that when I noticed some birds getting sniffly. She reached me recently and told me that they both started sneezing shortly after getting them home, and that then all her chickens got it, and they are only just now getting over it (the show was back in late November). So I believe it was a virus and might have even been at the show? It caused pretty severe congestion, and I think the freezing temps here caused the congestion (like the mucus in their nose/throat) to freeze, and then they could not breathe. I know that sounds horrible but I think it is what happened. She did not have any birds die, but hers are inside! Mine were outside in 2 different coops. None died in 1 coop (and I believe it is warmer) but many died in the other coop (not as warm). I have since installed ceramic panel heaters in that other coop. So, I just believe it is a combo of factors. All in all, terribly sad.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, as bad as it was, at least knowing can maby give you closure somewhat. That was so terrible.

Best to look ahead..
You have the best baby pics ever.. I love your pics! Darling boo boo babiez! Lil toot toot babiez.. wut wut wut wut

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Funny Farm? I think you oughta call it Fitz and Giggles Farm... LOL
My shimmy's going to be all worn out by the time I get done celebrating all your new little fuzzy butts... puff, puff. =0)

Party on, fluff-bots!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Too funny, I had just gone down to check and got out a new one. I let them hatch in the RCom-20 incubator, because it's easy to shut off the turning function. I had put all the eggs in there that were marked for Saturday (they are hatching a day early) and I glanced over at the Brinsea Octagon 40 to ensure temp and humidity were on track. What did I see? A broken shell. Sure enough, a little peep was wandering around in that bator! Must've been feeling seasick with the way that one tilts. I missed an egg with the date for tomorrow. Oops. Chickie is fine though. I guess stopping turning is not an *absolute* requirement!

Shimmy shimmy flap flap flap.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

~~~~~OOOhhmmmmmmm~~~~
Guess you'll just have to call that one Captain Ahab... lol
Yooo-hooo, cheep the man chirp...

@spin@

Ferndale, WA

Mox I felt so bad about your birds: But you have such a great attitude. and it's inspiring to see that after such a tear-jerking loss. I was reading in a biosecurity magazine about the dangers of bringing home infectious virus' from poultry shows and other such fair's where poultry are shown. They said that all the clothes that you wear to the shows should be removed and immediately washed before visiting any of your own birds, they also said the bottoms of shoes should be scrubbed and the tops sprayed before entering your coop's. I thought they were crazy, but now I'm not so sure? Your situation should be a lesson to all of us. Further more they also said that individuals should shower before visiting their birds. Sheeeesh. There's so much to learn, and should be taken serious. Hay..

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

That is just toooo funny to get a baby in the bator! I would name it Bator.. LOL Tooo cute! I wish we could have had a pic of that.. Not to mention the look on your face when you saw it!!!!!!!

Lil Wut Wut babiez!!!!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh Claire! They sure are beautiful. I wish I was better at determining breeds by looking at them. They could very well be RIR. I just dont know. I am so happy that you are moving forward and rebuilding. Its wonderful to see the little babies. My DH freaked out about 15 eggs. I cant imagine 160+!!! Thats exhausting. Congrats!!!
Happy Chicken Dance!!

Thumbnail by sewincircle
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We are updating the progress now...

8 RIR chicks
1 buff silkie chick
1 partridge silkie chick

Yay!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

A chorus of cheepsters! Hooray...

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

No fair updating without pics!

Yipee more toot toot babiez!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am your leader!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

You will look deeeeep into my beady little eyes.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

See, how I have cleverly escaped, and disguised myself against this table leg.

You have much to learn from me.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ooooh, I listen, and I obey!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

It is TIME my friends. It is TIME to BUILD the chick pyramid! It is our escape to the outside world! The time has come to take over! Assume your places!

Get organized you bunch of lumbering ninnies...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We are not finished yet. I have convened the high circle. We will plan a better escape route, one that even you can manage.

Look innocent now...she's at it with the camera again!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

The hoards are coming, the hoards are coming....

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Those are some clever little chickens. They look so innocent!
And yet hatch diabolical plans... They are adorable!!!

Clarkson, KY

{Ouch, Raymond! Get your toe out of my eye! Onward and upwards! Flufferbutts -Unite and Conquer the Camera Beast!}

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Ahhh.. now I can rest.. Thank you Commander Moxy!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Paddled over to visit the new burble of fluffer babiez. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. There is a ninja peeper disguising herself as a table leg. Very clever. Paddling away to make bread now.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

We paddled to the poultry show.. Oh my GOSH.. I am so strong willed.. I only came home with one..

but then.. there is tomorrow!

I had to come back and look at Moxy's baby pics..

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Just came in from sheep duty - 2 new hatches, partridge silkie and another RIR. But I am downloading sheep pix now. Will be a new thread in a bit.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I would totally follow you, little guy!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And this morning, the same dang thing happened! Two (count 'em!) TWO babies hatched in the 'bator overnight. I did not label my eggs properly. Sigh. At least they were fine.

LET ME OUT!!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I can't believe I'm stuck in here...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here's the whole herd so far!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here's one of the two white silkies

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

This little guy came out of an egg labeled "buff". I'm thinking the vendor made an oops.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Check out this partridge silkie. I think it's very handsome!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Very distinct partridge markings on that guy!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

This guy is also a partridge silkie, but way different markings.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We'll see what else hatches today, if anything, and keep you all updated!

Today's tasks:
1. Pick up 5 free chickens (4 hens and 1 roo) from a place about 45 minutes drive away
2. People coming over to pick up Kelly's old computer
3. Hand shear second sheep with garden snips (see sheep rescue thread)
4. Shovel #$%^&& snow (again)
5. Duckling bath time
6. Read stuff for classes tomorrow morning
7. Attempt not to lose my mind

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

WOW, and you make it look so easy!
The pics are great! you have some beautiful chicks there.
;)

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Can we trade lives?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Jenks.....are you completely nuts? Nobody wants the insanity that is my life right now!

Out to feed now, then back in and bath time will commence in the next hour or so. Be patient. I promise photos, but not until their "enclosure" is cleaned out and we have them all back in place so that I have time to come up and download pix.

Items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 are done. 7 is questionable.

Will have to post pics of new birds too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.