Weird Weather of '09!! ....... #3

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I'm all for Socialized Medicine too, add me to your CL list as well. For being such a "rich" nation as a whole, we should have had that YEARS ago. I'm with you Portland we are WAY BEHIND! Canada has had it for as long as I can remember.
Maury, good for your DB, I have a real hard time with deadbeat dads.
Susan

(Judi)Portland, OR

Not all babies are cute....

Thumbnail by Portland1
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh those are so sweet. How did you get that picture?

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

I think they are adorable........!!!!!!

(Judi)Portland, OR

My sister sent that photo. Those little creatures freak me out.

It has gotten so cold here today. I've been looking at the frost photos on that thread and maybe we will have frost in the morning if it's not covered in snow. It's a good night to make a fire and be cozy. :)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Funny. I can see how you might not think they're cute or how they might freak you out, but they strike me as absolutley adorable. They're hedgehogs, right?

Cold here. We're supposed to have some snow mixed with rain tonight. I didn't get the sense that it was going to stick - fingers crossed.

(Judi)Portland, OR

They may be called hedgehogs but to me they are freaky. The stuff of nightmares.

I am trying to get the energy to take the dog out for a walk. The more I procrastinate the darker & colder it gets. Bbbbrrrrrrrr.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

It is now raining a little here.

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Portland, are they 'your' babies? They're cute, in a weird sort of way.

Snowing here now, but it's too warm to stay(thank you).

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

That's what I'm getting too Lbf. Seems too warm to snow, but it is. Fuueey.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Light rain here - no snow, thank goodness.

Eugene, OR

rc..you've got snow? It's mid 30's and raining, so maybe us too.

Watching 'Lost', missed it the other night. Tired again, don't want to do nuthin tonight. Can't even muster up enough to work on my tatting homework, kinda supposed to finish it by Wednesday.

Yeah, it's snowing. But, so far, it's too warm to stick. That's good! I hope the valley doesn't get it!!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Let's all do the "no snow dance!" My hellebores are just on the brink of bursting open, I don't think they would like anymore snow :0)

Eugene, OR

No kidding, I forgot about that. Mine are actually bursting at the seams, still not very tall. Snow would definitely slow them down again!!! The cold is bad enough.

Rachel... your in charge of the "no snow dances" every day now.... until may! Sometime in the middle of the night it quit snowing and there's just a dusting to be seen out right now! Wahoo!!!! I was thinking that I was going to wake up to three or four inchees of the unwelcomed stuff.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 6:53 AM

Here's a pic of the yard this morning taken at about 7:15am. A little to dark for a decent picture. But, that when I had the chance to take it.

Thumbnail by redchic01

I think that the frost is prettier.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

RC- It was very cold outside while I was dancing but it was well worth it, we didn't get any snow!!! Headed out to see if any of my hellebores have burst open yet :0)

Eugene, OR

Rachel...the dance worked here as well, if we had any snow it was gone by the time I got up. Just looked at my hellebore and it's trying to open!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It snowed here last night (about ten minutes after I said, "No snow.") and stuck and has been snowing this morning for about 2 hours. We have a couple of inches here right now. The weathermen did not predict this. As much as I should like snow, I need it to stop. I have a 9:00 a.m. meeting in the morning . . .

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

We had a dusting last night, which stuck for quite a while this morning. Was supposed to be "sunny" (ha!) today and I was looking forward to taking the new bicycle for a test ride but alas...it's not to be today. Still icy out there and kinda dreary south toward the mountains but only partly dreary out over the water. Oh well... it's only January, right?

(Judi)Portland, OR

Pic from this morning - almost gone now.

Thumbnail by Portland1
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

We had about a 1/4" this morning also.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

we were almost at 1" this morning, and it started up about 10; hasn't stopped. The temps will drop to approximately 22° for my location, if the National Weather Service is correct.
I, too, have an early morning meeting, and don't relish the thought of ice.
Where is that warm air I ordered from California?

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Well I guess I was too optomistic about it not sticking last night. Woke up to 2" stuck to the ground. Managed to get the trees set on the perimeter of the garden but the dirt is frozen... too tough to move it by hand with a shovel. Melted off some late today but... weird, only the last 4 houses on our hill have snow, nothing below them. Katye, please send some of that warm air my way, I've too much to do outside this week for snow and frozen earth. Hope everyone arrives at their morning meetings safe and snow free.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like next week will be cold with the possibility of more snow for those of us in the foothills, at least. I just hope there were lots of people driving around and melting the ice off the road today.

It's interesting - I have 2 inches of snow in the yard, but below the biggest fir and cedar trees, there's nothing. It's cold, but doesn't seem THAT cold to me - maybe I'm just getting used to it. We'll see how I feel when I get up to take the dog out at 3 a.m.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Willow, I’m very fond of fairies and magic books too! Most of the stuff I’ve been reading recently is “Urban Fantasy”; fairies and magic in a modern setting. Have you read Charles De Lint? Who are your favorite authors?

Gardener, I love quail! We had them when we lived in CA.

The “Sparrow hedge” picture is great.

Katie, I agree completely on health care! I’m a crazy liberal myself.

Just so you know, it doesn’t bother me, but Zhinusmom is Trisha; I’m Laura.

Portland, there are a few still out there. I had given up on finding someone I’d want to spend more than a couple hours with, after looking for 6 years, when I met my DH 4 years ago. Other than possibly bad teeth (can we include dental in the universal health care?) my DH meets all you requirements, and on top of that we fought for and won custody of my step-daughter; her mother still has visitation, but it’s supervised.

That is too funny; I was looking up hedgehogs a couple days and saw that picture. DH and I thought they didn’t look real; even though we knew they were. I want to make clay ones.

Sally, we got a bit of wet snow; it didn’t stick at all, but it did fall out of the sky.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Pretty cold here this morning. Yesterday's snow is gone - we are expecting more overnight tonight but it won't last long. It is 22 degrees but the sun is out!

Laura you are lucky you found your DH. He sounds like a good one! I was married for 28 years and I've been single for 13. At 61, I'm not sure there's one in my future!

He's perfect for me. I thank the powers that be daily for allowing me to find him and my step-daughter; even if we both went through some bad times in order for us to be in the right place at the right time.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Laura, I love Quail too. Did you know that their babies can fly at 10 days old? It's the neatest thing I've ever seen. They are sooooooooo cute! I'm very happy that you've found the man of your dreams.
We got about 3" of that white stuff again and it was 10 deg when I got up! I don't like it when it's that cold. It's only supposed to reach 27 today. UGH!
I just hope it doesn't last for long as I'm getting 26 chicks a week from today and will be raising them in the barn. I use an old 4' water trough with a heat lamp, it works really well. I always use a new heat lamp bulb to ensure that it doesn't burn out before they're feathered out. I ordered 4 different breeds and since I ordered 25 their sending me a free rare chick. I don't know what breed or gender it will be and they don't know either, they just put one in.
DH and I have been married for 34 yrs (35 in June) and if anything was to happen to him and I lost him I wouldn't even consider remarrying. He and our relationship means the world to me and I know I wouldn't be able to feel the same way about another man. DH's my whole world.
Susan

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 8:44 AM

We don't have snow but it's 21 degrees out there, heavy frost and cold enough to make your teeth hurt; I just got back from walking the kids to school. I think I'd prefer light snow; at least it's generally warmer. Looks like it's supposed to get warmer, above freezing and wet, starting tomorrow; but then the "low" for today still says 27 degrees and the same site has the current temp at 21 degrees. That always makes me wonder about the accuracy of the weather reports.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I know how you feel I think it's really funny when they actually get it RIGHT!
I have a mutated Sparrow, it's buff colored. I got a pic of it, it's kind of far away but as you can see it's the same color as the broom. This is the second yr I've seen it. Every time I tried to get a pic in the past it would either be in amongst the others and hard to see or it would fly away, well since it was by itself (for once!) and with snow you can see the color better.
Susan

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Oops! Forgot the pic! Here it is.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Here's another, it's a little blurry but closer.

Thumbnail by gardener105
Eugene, OR

That's a really different color for a sparrow. How cool you have him come back to visit! Can't remember if I posted this picture on this thread or another. But as long as you all say you like quail.....

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

WAY COOL SALLY!!! THANKS!^_^
Susan

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Good to hear from you again, Laura. How's the house hunt going? Found anything promising?

Love the pictures...

It was 18 at the Olympia Airport this morning......when I came back from the store a little while ago it had warmed up to 37.....now they say we may get a bit of snow tonight....predicting an inch at the very most. If I have to be this cold I would just as soon have snow to go with it!!

Now I remember what I forgot to add..................never say never...........we had a wedding at our Church not too long ago, the pastor was still shaking his head......the Bride was 86 and the groom 92!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.