When to sow spreadsheet!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I would be cautious about high temps for germination. Check the germination recommendations for your seeds. Many of the seeds I germinate are recommended at less than 70F, and some at less. I winter sow those that are recommended to start at 40F.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

jan and feb are great for germination since the sun it not hot enough to burn anything my was lol most days we only see the sun behind a haze of kinda clouds that make it perfect
my house is kept at about 65F to cheap to heat it more so most of my stuff does very well so far out of a dozen flats only one has not germinated and it said 6 to 8 weeks and it has only been four so I have to be patient

if they need cooler I also use the unfinihed part of the basement its about 55 to 60F down there brrrrr

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Well that's good to know. We keep our house at 65 too. I'm encouraged !

almost all seeds germinate in spring when the weather is in the sixties during the day and as cool as high 40s or low 50s at night

it is harder to germinate if the temp is to hight since everything dries out
even lisianthus that I was told would need 80f to grow is growing for me and it germinated withing the 10days specified no maybe they will not grow as fast now past the germination point without warmer temps I will see that but I was also told they seem to take forever to get going .

all most plants need is moister and above freezing temps and as much light as possible

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much for this wonderful spreadsheet. Very helpful!!!

Tucson, AZ

Anyone have info on Virginia Creeper? Direct sow now? Also planting peanuts? Do I just put the raw peanuts in the ground, full sun? Thanks

http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html

this site will tell you everything you need to know about planting annuals perennials vines vegies and anything else check it out

Tucson, AZ

WOW scicciarella, thanks. Really does have everything you need to know...and then some LOL!

glad to be of help have been using that site for many years and I have always found everything to be good and acurate for indoor and outdoor panting its just amazing

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My Bible too.

love to read stuff on that site check stuff out and google the pictures and then add them to my must have list which is two pages long now hahahahah that mean turning my dinning room into a green house again next year

Thumbnail by scicciarella

wow,look how nice and organized you are!

I have been growing plants from seed for about 20 years and seriously for about 15 I refuse to pay those rediculous prices at the garden center I only get a few things that I cant find seeds for then I collect the seeds and never have to buy it again

awesome! such patience.

patience and so cheap hahahah I will not pay those prices

I know! I am going to have to find more patience and get better at doing this! ;-)

use flats with domes and put it in bright light most things will germinated within a couple of weeks I find that if it say two weeks they start to come up in one so I guess they know most people dont have any patience and double the time
now some plants are erratic just like people and they will sprout a few and then couple of more days a few more with those I pick out the babies and transplant them in pots and keep the dome on till most are up or as many as what you want lol

at this time I am sprouting poppies and then I am doing japanese morning glories
they the veggies I have already so many on the go no more space to add new flats so the weather had better co operate lol or we will have to more out hahahhahahah

Thumbnail by scicciarella

yah, but then there's that whole dampening off thing. Too wet, not wet enough. grrrrr. Oh and hardening off. sheesh. It's been years since I did this and that is why. Winter sowing is more my speed. LOL.

I do some of that to I fill the actual flat with dirt and sow poppy and columbines and other things that so better outdoors and put a dome on good luck to them lol had to do that had to many flowers I wanted to grow and not enough room

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Scicciarella, I thought poppies hated to be transplanted - you have good luck with them? I've been waiting to direct sow mine 'cause I didn't want to kill 'em by transplant, lol...

ok the big secret with poppies is to move them early before the root get to long the reason they do not like to get moved is that they have a tapered root and if the end get broken they do not recover so the plan is to move them early into a 3 inch pot so they then go directly to the permanently spot I use biodegradable pots so I only pick them out so they dont wilt with the dome since they do not all come up at the same time

Ah, gotcha. Thanks much!

be very carefull with the babies they are very small but all worth the headach to see those poppies bloom

Aren't they gorgeous?

yes I love poppies I got into trouble a few years back because I was growing so many poppies that one day the police stopped at my house to ask what I was growing them for hahahhahah I answered well look at how beautifull they I thought it was obvious lol but after an hour of talking I was informed to please cut off most of the seed heads as soon as the petals fall off so people dont think its a drug lab lol hahhahahaha

AS IF those were the type of poppies~!

ah yes they are all perennial poppies are
only the small annuals like the artic poppies are not

are you kidding?

sheesh.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No she's not unfortunately Mrs. Ed. There is a new trend towards opium (somniferum) poppy grow-ops for drug trade in Ontario now believe it or not. It is probable that they will ban seed sales soon in Canada and already we are not supposed to trade/buy across the border. Alot of us are being very conscientious about seed saving against an eventual ban to ensure that these beauties don't disappear from our gardens. We will be outlaws because we will share seed for sure. If I end up in prison down the road, please send a cake with a file. Oh and pics of birds too please.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OMG - that's incredible. Seems like they could at least let you grow a few...... If you end up in the slammer we'll visit with pictures, cake, and cold beer :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks dryad57 because I might practice 'civil disobedience' on this issue soley for ornamental purposes of course. The funny thing is I'm so honest I'll probably turn myself in LOL. The sad thing is that my poppy guru is retired RCMP who has been collecting from all over the planet and he will probably destroy his if it becomes illegal. I hoping that because of their ornamental value and the small numbers that we have in our home gardens that there will just be a ban on growing large numbers. We shall see.

and more poppy seeds you can say they are for your bagels hahahhahahah

well I have millions of seeds lol and some plants already in the garden got them on sale last august but I have three flats full of them growing already and will sow many more since I just love them and they are very hardy and dont need to be watered so great plant to have

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I winter sowed a bunch of poppies, and they are starting to come up. If I transfer them to 3" pots, will they survive the cold? (It still sometimes gets to
(for some reason my whole post didn't show)
I was saying (It still sometimes gets to <32 F at night).

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 4:05 PM

Hmm - I wonder ... . seems like it would take an AWFUL LOT of poppies to do anything illegal with them.

are those poppies protected right now and what are nightime temps

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

scicc, they are protected in their milk jugs. Night time temps have been between 30F and 38F.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Poppies are amazing! This is my first year WSowing, and it got down to 19 after they were all well up, with no problems in any of the 9 different jugs. They also got snowed on, where they snow covered them for 2 days. At that point I had just transplanted some babies to my garden, and they did fine too!

ok i would not move them to pot put them in the final spot in chucks since they are not easy to transplant
I would carefully devide it into four chunks for each mild jug and just put them in the ground they will do fine

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I'll transplant and pray.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.