When to sow spreadsheet!

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

We've started a spreadsheet, with advice on when to sow each type of seed, in 'weeks before last frost date' format so that it can be interpreted for each area.

It's rough so far, but I'm hoping everyone might add their own info (weeks, and add seeds I don't have listed too!) in posts here, and I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

Here's the spreadsheet, I'll check back regularly to update it with information from posts. Suggestions welcome :)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ptKk7FNDx_-LNbZM431UzDQ&hl=en

Another great resource suggested is http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 10:00 AM

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Kelly I replied to you re this topic in the cottage forum, but I'll post it here too. Just a couple posts down Debsroots was asking basically the same question. I would love to see a master list telling us when to start our seeds if we want blooms by such and such a date. I will happily give you all the information I've dug up thus far (mostly from Stokes site) and I would think that some commercial packets might give us that info as well. Some time this weekend I'll try to get my meager findings sent your way.

Thanks! I'm watching everywhere, just another reason to obsess over seeds :) Added a few columns. I'm going back and getting the temp. info off of the Summerhill seed packets I have now. They don't have weeks before frost info though, which is what got me started on this quest in the first place!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a little list from a few years ago

NEED LIGHT Don't Cover
Agreatum Feb 15
Balsam Apr 1
Begonias Jan 15
Black-eye Susan Vine Apr 1
Browallia
Clarkia
Coleus
Diascia
Dusty Miller
Eucalyptus (Chill Seeds 2 Days)
Evening Scented Stocks
Godetia
Impatiens
Kochia
Licorice Plant
Lisianthus
Lobelia
Mignoette
Nemesia
Petunias 10 weeks
Portulaca
Salvia
Scarlet Sage
Snapdragons
Strawflowers
Sweet Alyssum

SOME LIGHT, Barely Covered
African Dasies
Amaranthus
Anagalis
Aster
Brachycome
Candytuff
Celosia
Cleome
Cosmos
Dianthus
Marigold
Mimulas
Nicotiana
Nigella
Status
Stocks
Tithonia-Mexican Sunflower
Wishbone
Zinnia

TOTAL DARKNESS, Do Not Cover Seeds with Soil; Cover the Flat
Bells or Ireland (Alternate Chill Flat for 5 Weeks)
Calendula
Gazania
Livingstone Daisy
Pansies (Chill Flat for 1 Week)
Phlox
Salpiglossis
Schizanthus
Verbena
Vinca

NEED DARKNESS, Cover Seeds 1/4"
Bachelor Buttons
Dichondra
Globe Amaranth
Larkspur
Lavatera
Nasturiums
Nemophilla
Painted Daisies
Poppy
Sweet Peas

Whew, thanks Joanna, I've put it all in!

Anyone else ;-) I'm going to check the Stokes site, someone mentioned they have a lot of info available...

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Kelly you've got a great start! Could we add one more column? I'm particularly interested in the length of time from germination to bloom. Your first column tells how early to sow for setting the plants out, but setting out and blooming are usually 2 complete different dates.

Maybe I should explain. I'm thinking about growing a few plants for the local farmer's market next spring so it's important for me to know when the flowers will reach maturity and be in bloom. I need to know when to sow my seeds so that the plants will be marketable by the first week in May. I guess that's more the information I've been digging for as opposed to when the plants can actually be placed outdoors.

Ah, sure, that makes sense. Can add it. Let me know whatever info you have, or if you'd like to input it yourself!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

klstuart would you consider asking aAdmin to make your spreadsheet a sticky so everyone can refer to it easily? It's great! I really like Lala_Jane's idea of germination to bloom period as we all have different planting out dates so it will be useful for everyone.

edit: O some things do much better direct sown. So maybe that could be put in as a comment somewhere?

This message was edited Jan 17, 2009 4:52 PM

I've added the column for germination to bloom time.

I've put in the 'weeks before last frost' column if it's a direct sower, but only if it's not recommended to start inside... there are so many that can be planted different ways, and those ways are listed in the plant files. It's just the specifics of sowing inside that aren't included in the plant files, which seems lacking...

Not sure how to ask Admin... I'll look into it :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I did it. Hope you don't mind. Admin should chime in on this thread soon. Here's my request thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943926/

Ah! Thanks, I'd sent an email...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Email works too ^_^ I only did it on Daves Garden cuz then other members know about it and I'm sure there will be many, many that will appreciate your spreadsheet.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelly, Thanks for the Idea. I have been trying to do a spread sheet on my computer and make it easy access when I am in DG. When I saw yours, I went to Google and checked it out. I had it up and running last night and this morning I started a Sowing reminder calender also.
I placed a quick link to my spreadsheet in my DG Blog, I will add more information as I order seeds and start sowing in Feb.
I will be checking on yours to see your progress and help if I can.
If anyone wants to see what I am doing just click on my DG screen name and go to my Diary it is under Gardening 2009.
Thank you.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2009 8:06 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kelly,

Here's a thread in the Annuals forum that is very similar. May get a lot more info for your spread sheet.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804677/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This thread has been stickied WHOOO HOOOO! I think its a good idea to start another thread to chat on so we can keep the focus on the sticky for klsuarts spreadsheet. Did I mention WHOOO HOOO! Thanks everso Dave and Admin!!!

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

kl - a suggestion for the database. How about a column near the beginning for stratification. It would list yes/no, #days or months and possibly temp if there are different requirements. It would be easier to see than going all the way to the notes at the end and would be more in the order of what you have to do to get the seed to germinate.
Keep up the good work - and thanks!!!

Great idea! I've found myself sowing a few things that really needed stratification first, just because I didn't scroll over!

Easy for me to say. Harder for you to do, I realize, and much appreciated!!! Are you still having people email you info or is there a way for us to add info without making extra work for you?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great question perenniallyme. I have alot of things to add but it seems like alot of work for klstuart.

I haven't had many people actually send me info, oddly. If you'd like to add some, just dmail me your email address. I just have to add you to the list of people that can edit. We'd surely appreciate the help!

Will do, kl.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Maybe it's because I've helped enter the data, but it's automatic for me to read all the way across the sheet for the seed I'm starting. I put all that information in the "notes" column....stratification, nicking, soaking.....any oddball information that can't be found in the first columns is right there under "notes." There is really a lot of good info in that column!

(Kelly I think the fact that nobody is emailing you with corrections and additions is a sign that we've done a good. Take a bow girl!)

Tucson, AZ

I just saw this spread sheet and haven't read all the posts but thanks!
What a great idea!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes you have done very good. I have things to add but wanted to wait til we had the sticky (Thanks again Dave and Admin) and was worried about asking someone to do all the inputting. Edit access is the answer! Dmail coming your way klstuart.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for doing this Kelly. I vividly remember last year's Piggie Swap, we all were lamenting about how we couldn't get great seed starting info from the Plant Files, but none of us thought to pool our info into one spreadsheet. I've got this little puppy bookmarked :-)

:) I'm glad! I know it's helping me. I'll add more as time becomes available!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Me too! I keep adding to it each time I start a new seed. I figure if I'm doing the research for myself anyway I might as well share the wealth. And with the huge pile of seeds I still need to start we'll have that baby filled out in no time. LOL!
;-)

Nice spreadsheet! Today's technology is so much better. A bunch of us on GEnie (15 years ago) would do individual seed germination spreadsheets to share but compilation was such a pain. I've done one every year because it's easier to refer to when I'm in a seed-sowing frenzy. I use 3 date columns - one for stratifying, one for sowing and one for germination. There was a program available several years ago called SeedPlanner but I don't know if it's still around.
Great job!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Kelly, if there's anything you are still looking for, I suggest Thompson and Morgan's seed site. Thanks for all of your work!

Thanks pagancat. We've gotten a lot of the information from there!

Day late, dollar short, lol... is there any plans to do veggies?

I hadn't thought of doing them, mainly because I've always started most of them outdoors, with the exception of tomatoes and peppers.

Gotcha - I'm in a slightly different situation - Farmer's Market selling.

I know - any time I want to get started on it, lol!

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html

this web site shows everything for annuals and perennials on how to grow

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

scicciarella, that's a great site. I've used it in the past. I'm sure Kelly's spreadsheet will eventually grow to include more things; I like the fact that the extra detail on her spreadsheet includes information provided by us - kind of more "tried and true" results, I think. And I've found I can never have enough things to look at when I'm wondering about a specific kind of seed - LOL!!

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

cool I will have to take a closer look

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Just to add my 2 cents worth... growing in Alaska, my dates of planting are quite different from most. I am in a USDA Zone 3 climate, and most all seeds must be started indoors. I can set out plants safely on June 1st, and the season is pretty much over by September 1st. I realize this is an extreme, but it exemplifies that the 'When to Sow' list must be flexible. I have a small greenhouse business, and you would probably be amazed at the schedule of indoor planting I have to follow. Most seed, even lettuce have to be planted indoors and transplanted, or they would never reach maturity before the season is over.

This is probably not very interesting news to Southern gardeners, or even those who have a long hot summer, but, if someone else is working with a short cool season, I have a planting list (not spreadsheet) to offer... just email me.

Carrollton, TX

This is amazing! I am new to Dave's Garden (and gardening), and this will be so much help! Thank you for sharing this.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great point Weezingreens. I have my own schedule too.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I set a target date, then work back from that. My dates would be quite different from most, but I work from my 'set out date'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.