TEA ROOM # 25

Merino, Australia

Here we are under the shady trees. I hope you all find us here. I will leave something nice and cooling while I go attend hubby. Jean.
Yummy Trifle.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Yummmmm Jean! Sorry about hubby, and poor you, men are the worst patients!
I went to the irrigation and pumping place instead of bunnings! That way I only bought the bits i needed and got some expert advice while there. I did ,however, gaze at the pond fountains for some time!
Now I'm just waiting for the cool of the afternoon and will begin to disassemble the old system.
Chrissy, I'm glad you like the Tradescantia zebrina. It seemed such a waste to have to throw it all out. I have seen it in hanging baskets and it does look luscious. I do still have a tiny bit tucked next to a tree, where hopefully Leo won't find it to lie on it. I still haven't removed all of the Tradescantia spathacea, and he does get amongst it now that its warm, and the itchy belly is back! I reckon one more wheelie bin should see the end of it.
I'm hopeless at those cryptics! Usually good at puzzles, but just not picking up whats being put down.
Oh, well, I think it might be time for a Baileys ice coffee again! I might leave out the icecream this time, since I am not working quite so hard this week. But I'm leaving the Baileys in. Maybe I should draw a pic of my irrigation plan before I have a drink......?
Sue

Gisborne, New Zealand

That trifle looks yummy and helped down with a Bailey's iced coffee sounds like bliss so Sue please make enough for 2... The rain finally stopped this afternoon and everything is looking so lush again.. Probably not the best look as it will burn badly when the sun comes out again, and of course the humudity will be 98%.. Jean would you believe it the pumpkin has climbed through the fence into the back neighbour's yard and I can see flowers, thats gratitude for you eh, I keep it watered and as soon as it rains it leaves home.. Sue I think you had better make enough for Jean as well as I think she may need it..
Brian those cryptics are a pick me up some I get and the ones I don't give me a good laugh. I actually look for them now. I think I get more fun out of , not getting them , and a good laugh is a tonic no matter how it arrives.. Thankyou..
I have just bid on a few more frangipani seeds, hope I'm not being too rash, I had better get these other ones potted up just in case:-))
I have been reading the frangi thread and it says to pot the seddlings into one gallon pots, it seems rather large to me for such a small plant, I haven't worked out as yet why they pot on so big.. Any bright ideas, I know they know their stuff and I get so much good info but this potting on bit is a worry.. Bought 2 bags of potting mix today so am almost ready go.. Also found some Seasol, I have noticed that Chrissy is a fan of this and it looks pretty good to me from what I have read , so input on this as well please.. Have had 1 more Adenium seed come up so maybe some more will.. The ones already up should be potted on as well do they make much growth at this time of year as I know they like the heat..
Well it is 6:30 so had better go and find something for tea.. I will probably pop back later..
Lesley

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Salvation Jane or Paterson's curse is right. 77Sunset the other was actually "Yellow Broom" Shout = yell, Exclamation when hurt = ow, Besom = Broom.
Try this one. "Atop a charged particle". A vegetable.
Thought the pattern of the top of this cactus was interesting.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Sydney, Australia

onion

Barmera, Australia

You're right Budgieman.
This one will suit you people down the eastern side of the continent. It's one of your favourites.
"Twisted grub, mental abberations are also twisted"
and an easy one "The sungod is before a bowl" salad item.
Photo is my Peanut cactus (Echinopsis sylvestrii) grafted onto Echinopsis spachiana, all the side shoots plus the centre are the Peanut cactus and below them the E. spachiana.
Regards Brian

Thumbnail by Stake

Radish ...I like your prickly peanuts Brian.
Lesley seasol on everything ...including the desert roses ...it's gentle and very safe.
My brother is due any minute ...he came up in the train and his son is picking him up to bring him here so ...bye for now have a great evening everyone.

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hi all,
I'm very late, it's been a busy day! Getting a stack of cuttings established & finding more pots, is very time consuming. Lucky for me, twin boys, 16, can fix their own T. Haven't had time to think about food!!LOL!!

Sorry, to hear about hubby, Jean...I hope he will feeel better soon, with your TLC!!

Chrissy~ I have posted some Parrot flowers to you today. Please let me know if you can work out where the seeds are?
Judy~ I have posted a cutting to you today, fingers crossed, it will survive in the North?
My original plant, came as a little stray, from Cairns. I think it just loves life, in my pergola.
I'm doing some research on Ebay in the hopes of getting this venture going, will keep you all informed. I couldn't have done it without all your great advice!

Posting a pic of an unusal succulent, I have no idea what it's called. Another stray, I got from somewhere??

Take Care all,
The Parrot Sheila (for my OS mates, sounds cooler, than lady!!LOL!!!)
Hi Lee!!!

Thumbnail by helens5162
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hello All, Cold but clear this ungodly hour of the morning. It's only 28F(-2). Later in the week, it's to be even colder during the day/night. chrissy, heads up on the shark attacks. Maybe they're going after people because of global exploitation of the resources? Mya, you be careful and wear your protection from the stingers. I suppose it's high Summer there.
All the posts of the plants/flowers makes me envious. Love so many of the ones posted. chrissy, the one pic you posted of what I think was an aloe(?) is unusual and it's the unusual plants I find interesting and desirable.
Jean, let's hope that Sammut is not in the tub. All that would be exposed would be her head sticking up through soil and plants.
Have place my order with Logees for a couple of 4" pots of Cestrum nocturnum( Night blooming jasmine). I have a large planter that I use to contain them. I place it at the front door for the fragrance to be appreciated at night. We have these moths about the size of a hummingbird that come out at night and feed from them. The first time I saw one was late one afternoon at dusk. It was flying around the lavender and I thought, 'this is too late in the evening for hummers'. It made no sound with it's wings and I finally figured out it was not a hummer but some kind a moth. Quite a good mimic of hummers, they. When I used to plant moonflowers(Ipomoea alba), they could be seen all through the night feeding from the flowers.
All have a good afternoon/evening. Lee

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Helen 5162 The white plant looks like it could be a Kalanchoe a closer view of the flowers would help. Have a look at this site.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Kalanchoe_longiflora.html
Regards Brian

This message was edited Jan 12, 2009 5:02 AM

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hi Stake,
Sorry,the pic in the hyperlink doesn't look like it?
Here's a close look.
Helen

Thumbnail by helens5162
western sydney nsw, Australia

Evening All,
I was out most of the day it takes for ever to catch up, Jean I hope hubby's feeling a little better.
my bath garden is going good the sun burned a few lettuce I have had tiny tim tomato 's in salades and baby spinach in stir fries the beef steak tomato is waiting to rippen the baby corn looks nice and strong .
To-morrow I am sowing seeds and doing more cuttings before I turned on I put a lot of my cuttings in their hammocks the side is a good spot out of the sun only filtered sun in the morning .
Chrissy I am waiting for my string of pearls to flower .
I will say every one have a good night [ I never remember every ones name ]----------Sammut.

Thumbnail by sammut
western sydney nsw, Australia

Here are my cuttings sleeping in there hammocks.----------Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut
barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. Thought that I would put a few pics of the cacti. This flower is on a little Mammillaria. It is so pretty, the palest pink with frosty brown edges. I will put further pics of how the big rocky garden is going and some of the cacti that I got the other day as well. Hope hubby's feeling a bit better Jean. Ann I hope that the water has gone down by morning. That pink Tah??? is absolutely stunning. When I see pics like that I immediately wonder wether it would grow here, not how big is the tree and wether it would fit in my yard. Beautiful. catch you all later. Colleen.

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

Sally and Justin helping

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Oh I like Sally & Justin...so cute! Aren't you lucky to have a brother who shares your love of cacti/succulents..so much fun when you share the same interests..

barmera, Australia

Potted cacti

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

More cacti. Yes, Brical it is great to have things in common with my big brother. We had great fun the other day collecting all the cacti. Saying did you see this did you see that. It was really great. While I was waiting for the last pic to come up I was just thinking about how many different sorts of plants that I have here. It's unbelievable. I surpose each and every one of us has a list as long as our arm. The garden places must rub their hands together when they see us coming. Makes you smile just thinking about it. Well must go and get some sleep. Goodnight to you all. Colleen.

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Yep,so much fun...goodnight.

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. I am late today, so no goodies out yet.
Hubby has to stay in bed and after only a day is already getting impatient. He can't move around so has to stay there but I can see he is going to be getting up way before he should. Why is it that men know better than the doctor ?
Hello Sue, I see that I will have to replenish the stocks of Baileys. It seems to have disappeared. I think you and Lesley must have had a bit of a time with ti while I was away.
Lesley, pumpkins have a mind of their own. I have not had a lot of success here with them but there is one out there now that is up and running. I hope it has a few on it. I did plant some where I was living before i came here and it went really mad. I ended up with so many pumpkins and one was a square one. It had grown between the fence and the shed where I couldn't see it until the plant died off. Devil of a job to get it out.
Brian, I did guess the onion but Steve beat me to it. The answers are so obvious when you see them it's just not that obvious to my brain in the clues.
Chrissy,like you, I use Seasol on everything alternated with Miracle Gro and Thrive. Plants love it.
My little parrots are looking very chirpy even in the heat. they are sitting under the large fern fronds in the fern house .I like your succulent Helen. I thought maybe a Kalanchoe too, but I'm not the expert.
Colleen, did I see epis in your pictures ? You lucky thing with all those gorgeous cacti. you will have a lovely cacti rockery garden . I don't think your helpers will be getting to close to them when they grow bigger. Not something to rub against and purr
Sammut., you have done well with your bath garden. What are you going to put in it next, besides yourself that is ? ha ha.
I do like the way you spoil your plants with their little hammocks.
hello Lee. I should put a pot plant on my veranda so i can enjoy the evening scent. I would not go wandering around here at night no matter how nice the perfumes were. There are too many other night ramblers. Snakes like to wander at night in the hot weather and the spiders are all out putting their webs across paths to catch the unwary. . better put out some food and go see what hubby is doing. I can hear him trying to move around. It is boring lying in bed all day but he has to do it. I'm glad I was not around when he first had the injury as he had to spend months in hospital on his back. He would have tried the poor nurses patience.
It's going to be very hot again here and for the rest of the week. I think summer may have found the map and arrived .
Here.s something nice and light. Poached Pears. There may be a tiny drop of something nice in the sauce, so go easy on the servings.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Sorry everyone I got my cacti name mixed up last night. It's a Gymnocalisium not a Mam.Must be the heat. Yes Jean you can see some epis in the new potted plants. They seem to be doing okay. I have had a couple of flops but most of the new cuttings are going fine. I think I'm going to have to put up a bit of shade for the little cacti as this sun is just too fierce for them. My son will get here today so will have a talk to him and see what he can do. I'm just eating one of Brian's donut peaches. YumWill talk later. Colleen

Barmera, Australia

G'Day. I go to all the trouble of concocting a puzzle especially for you folk from Sydney and up and you don't even have a go.
It's one of your favourites.
"Twisted grub, mental abberations are also twisted" The mental abberations can also be "Fads".
An easier one for all to have a go at. "Mr Garfunkle I Strangle" two different vegetables known by this name.
For those who are interested my thread on plant names in the Cactus & Succulent forum is warming up.
I hadn't noticed before but the polished pen stand could easily seen to be a map of Australia but no Tas. I could say I had a Devil of a job polishing it, that might make up for the deficiency. The handle to the right of the pens is a letter opener.
Regards Brian

This message was edited Jan 12, 2009 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by Stake
Merino, Australia

Artichoke .....
Art Garfunkle = art
strangle = choke
Artichoke
Jean..

Barmera, Australia

Ripper 77Sunset. and you reckon you can't do cryptics. Have a go at the grub one, remembering that the plant is a favourite from Sydney northwards. Do we have two Brians? If so I don't mind being Stake I was at school and still am to very good friends.
Regards Brian

Christchurch, New Zealand

lol - I got that one...
reminds me of a joke...
Hit man by the name of Arthur is down on his luck so he offers cut rate contracts.
He is hired to kill a cheating spouse for $1.00
He follows the woman to the supermarket & proceeds to strangle her, he is discovered by the manager so strangles him too.
The headline next day...

Artie chokes two for a dollar at local supermarket.

I never said it was a good joke;)

Wonthaggi, Australia

Hi Stake & Jean,
There are no green or pink tinges on my Succulent. It is all white/grey. Maybe a different variety?
It's warming up here, supposed to reach 38 degrees.
I have to go out in it, to take junior to the Dentist, Phew!!!
Will try & catch up again, later,
Dalfyre, Thanks for my first smile of the day!!
Enjoy your day all, where ever you are,
The Parrot Sheila.

Merino, Australia

You have me puzzled there Brian. remember I live way south so don't know all the plants further up.
very hot outside now but I am relaxing in the cool of the split system. So nice.
I may get up to see to hubby later but the dear thing has gone to sleep, so all is quiet.
here's my latest Zantedeschia ( calla)
Enjoy your day . Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barmera, Australia

77sunset put your husband to work on that one it might take his mind off the aches.
Try these. "CTs cockies and a raised platform" flowers
Sounds Like "One of our members and male part of a flower and Female predecessor". Perenial flower plant.
Regards

Merino, Australia

Gaillardias ...???.
took me a minute to think of CTs cockies.= galahs
raised platform = dais

Jean

Barmera, Australia

Well Done 77sunset now have a go at the twisted grub and keep Chrissy100 in mind while thinking or perhaps someone else will make the connection.
It made the 42c easy enough, look on the bright side think of the money we save on jumpers.
Regards

Merino, Australia

Yes, Brian. it then goes on the electricity for the air con. Ha ha.
Got it got it.....
brugmansia. ...
twisted grub = brug
mental abberrations = manias = mansia
Maybe the heat is affecting my brain. it seems to be working well.
Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Bugga! I got those two, (artichoke and brugmansia) but always too late. At least I have got the idea now! I would never have got the Gillardia. What does the CT stand for in CTs cockies? I got the dias part.
Hey Sammut, what a great set up you have for all your babies! It loks very professional. I use the plastic tubs too, for raising bromeliad seed.
Jean, your calla is gorgeous. One of my customers has some black/purple ones that I am hoping for one of as they multiply.
Collen, your cats are cute, and I agree with Jean that they might not want to help when the cacti get bigger!
I like your pen holder Brian, anothe puzzle please.
helen, I think your plant might be a Cotyledon, but I don't know which one. Maybe you could take it over to the succulent forum for an ID?
Off outside to do some watering in the perfect summer afternoon. (taking my iced coffee and baileys with me, incase Lesley has her eye on it)
Hope hubby is feeling better Jean!
Sue

Barmera, Australia

You beauty you really have the hang of it now. Weed_Woman you must have missed a posting CT is CT Morris (Colleen) and there were some comments made about her pet Galahs. So CTs Cockies are Galahs or Gallar+ the raised platform dais.
Try this "Domestic dispute comes before the chimes" Flowers
Regards Brian

Sydney, Australia

Bluebells?
I'm back home after a few days south.
A couple at work then back down.
Just downloading photos of Sussex plants.
Cheers
Steve

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Yes Bluebells is right. Another one "Muscovy Marihuana" pond plant. Another one "A moggies appendage".
Come on Budgieman you missed this one so I copied it down to here. Sounds Like "One of our members and male part of a flower and Female predecessor". Perenial flower plant.

Brisbane, Australia

duckweed

Brisbane, Australia

catspaw or cats tail

not catsclaw creeper..almost as vicious as bougainvillea

This message was edited Jan 13, 2009 8:20 AM

Barmera, Australia

Katciao It's Pussy tail Ptilotus species and Duck Weed is right.
Everyone is getting pretty good I will see if I can think up some harder ones and there is no reason why anyone can't have a go at compiling a cryptic. Just for starters keep it simple until you get the hang of it.
Regards Brian

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hello One and All, whilst watching the news a little while ago, I saw a segment about Hamilton Island needing a caretaker and would be paid $100,00 (US). If indeed this is true, it would be lovely, I think. The videos were stunning and the wildlife seemed abundant. Do any of you know if this is in fact true or not. It said the program was being offered by the Queensland Tourism Board. Lee

Correction: salary should read, $100,000 instead of what I wrote in the first sentence.

good morning everyone ...sorry I can't come play at the moment ...my brother requires my attention ...I hope everyone has a lovely day
lee that website crashed there were so many applications for the job.
Steve I will try to look up the official name for your plant ...it's common nicknames are false wisteria and false indigo but daves garden reckons those nicknames are the happy wanderer?. I will look through my garden bible later for you.
I miss you all ...my bro has had a few problems healthwise and does not understand me looking at a computer ...instead of talking to him so i will pop in when he is resting.
Stay cool everyone except lee ...you stay warm.
chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.