Chit Chat - Everyone is Welcome - Part 104

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Bromilead>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Jacksonville, FL

Dale....love the silver brom!!!
Jeremy..thank you..that's just like you always thinking of others! Yes..I felt like quite the DA about the boug. We need to have a get together soon I miss you peeples!!!
GReat news about the foot!! the jewel orchid'd flowers are opening slowly but surely!! Very exciting.! The nun's that bought at the airport is growing a spike so we shall soon know if I grabbed the yellow one or not. I do have a small yellow spathaglottis for you.
I am renting a truck from Lowe's to move the phil and sago..nope it is not the monstera.
The trucks have ramps so that should help and with the four adults we should get it loaded up.
Fleur I have not had a chance to go outside to check the plant for runners as I have been leavign the house and getting home in the dark. I will be abel to check in the AM asI can sleep late till 7 am tomarrow lol. I jsut didn't want you to think I forgot about you.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Evening all..

Fred great video, you have lovely gardens there.

Wren , closet maid shelving sounds good. Another thought might be if you have a bakery around and they have any of those large wire trays for carrying loads of loaves . That's if they still have them these days. I may be way behind the times!

Sorry Monschi, don't know about the gourds, have played with the idea of waving the paintbrushes at some but that is as far as it has got.

seemamma, lol that poor brom, banished!. I have around 20 different ones now. Still love my brugs as well :)

That is beautiful Dale, looks a bit like the Alcantarea Odorata I looked at on ebay, cough, splutter, not for $60.00 though!

Chubby no problem , whenever. I would like to know how big that sago root is though and how bad to get out. I have a four footer that needs to go , I was going to attempt it myself but from seeing Jeremys comment about a forklift, I may have to rethink.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2009 7:32 PM

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Monshi,

You might want to send a dmail to Jo http://davesgarden.com/members/roadrunner/

I believe she knows gourds and may have the answer for you.

Molly

We had to remove a sago a few years ago, it was a big 3 footer, and we needed a car to drag it in order to move it; those things have a lead center, I'm sure!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Dutchlady. Mm maybe I will just have to hack at it.. It is planted in a stupid place right next to the driveway so digging wise there is limited leverage, and if anyone parks there they get pricked to bits, the darn thing also has scale. Guess it looked o.k. when it was tiny.

I have five of them in the front and another one at the side of the house. Darn things.

Heres one of them , this ones pretty much o.k.

Thumbnail by fleurone
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just get a e-mail from Birds and Blooms. They are looking for a name for this beauty flower.

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/Article.aspx?ContentID=116686&pmcode=BB911VH13M&_mid=17900&_rid=17900.16200.441804&r_d=y

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Magi, that's a cool looking bromeliad, love the peach and pink tones.

Dale, that silver brom would be so striking in a moonlight garden. I bet it would just glow in the dark!

Sandy, I just submitted my name choice for that new coreopsis- what a beautiful flower!

Staghorn at Selby during our night walk.

Thumbnail by svplantingfool

Chubbyd -- if anyone you know has a "come-along" type wench, that would help a lot with moving the sago. It works by a crank and pulley and can pull a lot of weight. Some 4 x 4 trucks have an automated wench on the front that would make it much easier.

Fleur - do you plan to replant the 4 ft sago? If not, you can chop around the roots and dig down under it to loosen it, then find someone with a truck or vehicle that will tie a chain around the sago and attach it to the vehicle and yank it out.

That is a beautiful silver/white bromeliad, Dale. I got out my 4x magnifying glass and tried to read the name tag under it, but it is too much of a blur. Any idea which bromeliad it might be?

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

Fleur..maybe if you offer it up locally for free if they dig it up and haul it away it my solve your problem!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jeremy, Fluerone correctly ID'ed it as Alcantarea Odorata http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Alcantarea+Odorata&fr=vz-portal&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Merry Golds>

Good morning

Sandy

Good morning; grey here. I didn't come to Florida for GREY!

Jacksonville, FL

Morning all! Dismal looking day here, not only weather-wise but after spending over 600.00 on truck repairs since it was running rough, I had to have it towed to a repair shop since it quit running all together. Waiting on word from the repair shop to find out what it will cost to fix it this time! GRRR!
I have a job interview this afternoon. Wish me well!

Linda

Oh Linda, that is awful on the truck. I live in fear of the next time we need major repair on one of the vehicles :-( Will the first repair not guarantee their work?
Two months ago DH took his Ford Ranger to get an oil change, dutifully carrying the coupon I had given him for $ 29.95.
The total for that service came to $ 1000 .... new tires, wheel bearings - some such thing. UGH!

Jacksonville, FL

I was using a mechanic that I have used quite a bit previously. I am hoping he will refund part of the labor charges, since some of the things he did were done incorrectly, unnecessary parts installed and he also lost three screws to one part (It takes 4) so they are trying to find screws to fit--which is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I am quite upset with the situation to say the least!!

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Linda, So sorry to hear about your car troubles. There are too many mechanics out there that either don't know what they are doing or just don't care.

Good Luck with your job interview this afternoon!

OH! OH! Look what I found growing in one of my pots!!!!!

A wild orchid. I have not watered the strawberry plant in it for weeks.

Thumbnail by wren107
Jacksonville, FL

Very nice surprise!!! Pretty bloom.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Morning all..

Thanks Wren submitted a name :)

Thanks Cathy, mmm that brom would look great in a moonlight garden.

No plans to replant the sago Jeremy I just want it gone. I don't think anyone would want it as the scale is pretty nasty. Was going to try the coffee cure but I don't want it anyway.

Grey here to but I am hoping for some of that rain that is forecast :)

That is miserable about the repairs on those vehicles. Good luck with the interview.

Must be the right time of year for those little orchids Wren, I have had loads pop up here and there.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Lowes has Beautful Orchids for 20 bucks there huge and in flower Paul

Jacksonville, FL

Paul---you are soooo bad! You are tempting us again!

Sorry about the vehicle repair troubles, Linda. I know how frustrating it can be to have someone "help out," and then do more damage than was already present to a vehicle. I had a "mechanic" fix the brakes on a previous van I owned. When I drove it after that repair, the brakes went out totally during rush hour on a busy road so that I had to crawl along. I was on a paid delivery job I had at the time. The next thing I knew, one of the front wheels started smoking so bad that I was concerned the vehicle was going to blow up! Also had a Ford dealership eager to charge me $1,000 for a new gas tank on the Mustang when the problem actually turned out to be an 89 cents O-ring when I got a second opinion. If you have further problems (and for those in Jacksonville needing an honest and excellent mechanic), Parts Garage on Roselle St west of Stockton Street is a place recommended by friends and has turned out to be a great repair shop.

I sent you a D-mail that it is o.k. to use me as a reference for the job interview. Best of luck with it!

Thanks, Dale, for confirming the bromeliad I.D. and to fleur for spotting the name. I must have misspelled the name when I went through some searches because I couldn't find it anywhere. It is another plant to add to the eternally expanding wish list.

Christina and I are going to a local fine restaurant as a "secret shopper" type deal this afternoon. It will be nice to have a "date" without spending much money.

Jeremy

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Have fun Jeremy, you deserve it.

They had orchids at the base for $6.95 several weeks ago, but not knowing that was a good price, I did not pick up any. UGH! Of course I don't know what kind they were, so maybe that is all they were worth. They were really pretty though.

Fingers crossed for your job interview Linda.

Fleur, I have not forgotten about you. I promise.

I am still trying to put away Christmas decorations, blah. I can't remember what went in what box. LOL

Hope everyone has a good day.

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Jeremy what are you suggesting with your wenching!!!! is that a winch or a wrench or maybe yes a wench??
Dutch Lady I agree not into grey at all - or wet stuff falling down!
Didn't get any more orchids, but in costco they did 4 pots of 3 tulips with roots in water, and they are looking very pretty, after blooming I will save them and put them in a tub for next spring.

Aha! ChubbyD, you have captured me in a spelling error! I meant "winch" as in a pulley contraption, but a good strong "wench" might also come in handy to help hoist in the sago saga. LOL

Sandy, your portrait of the Zeuxine soldier orchid is exquisite! I would love some lessons in how to get such crystal clear closeups (after I have read the instruction manuals for my current bargain cameras). The first instruction you probably will provide will be, "Buy a better camera." LOL

Jeremy

No buy a macro lens! I have a 60mm macro lens I really use the 35 mm that it came with.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Good luck Linda
Shirl, the orchids on base - at the Commissary or Exchange? I may have to swing by when I'm down. Haven't ventured on base yet.

After working 2 days, at over 10 hrs each, I decided to come home on-time today!!!!!

It is cold & rainy here.....................

It's cool and rainy here too; but with the rain I was able to open the windows for a bit without fear of letting too many of the pollen in!

Jacksonville, FL

Quick update--my truck is back home and running lots better after taking it to Midas. I have invested close to $1000. -paying for parts and labor that were unnecessary and I am not a happy camper about that. I may be female, blonde and old, but this will never happen again if I have my brain engaged. The job interview was short and brief and I did not get an indication if there was any interest in my qualifications. Steve might have figured that since I was 61 I was "too old". Time will tell--I will wait and see. We had some bad winds over here and I have spent over an hour doing damage control (going to wait til early am to put out garbage cans so they dont end up in the next county! LOL!
Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully will prove to be a better day.
Thank you all for your support!!
Linda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Here It is January And My Boreno Ears Are Still Growing Paul

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 5:51 PM

Thumbnail by phicks
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Paul, I didn't know you were Klingon...

Ixora>

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi Paul, I think it is Borneo?

If anyone needs the name of a good, honest, professional garage let me know. I work with garages all day long and know the good ones from the bad (you can tell by the parts they buy). But, I get all the feedback.

Jacksonville, FL

All you people and your luck with wild orchids!!!! You are maddening LOL
The only thing that pops up in my yard are clovers, onion, brambles and virginia creeper.... WHY?

Good luck Linda!!!!!!!!! I will try and meet up with you this weekend. Life has been hectic as par the course but more so.

Magi you have d-mail

Jacksonville, FL

Rhonda--after this last fiasco, I definitely need a good reliable mechanic!!! Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Quilter, I saw them at the Commissary

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was checking my plumeria seeds that I started the other day, Three of them have sprouted, one looked like it was sprouting but looked strange. I checked it out and it had started to sprout but the seed broke off the taproot. I checked it again today and the one with the broken taproot has grown some more taproot. The leaves haven't started coming out yet though. Does this happen very often? The 5th seed hasn't done anything yet.

I will send you a dmail tomorrow with several choices and types of service.

Alva, FL(Zone 9b)

Dale, the silver brom is absolutely fabulous!!! Billie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.