YOUR OPINION REQUESTED

So nice,

What is your elevation? I have seen lows of 55 degrees some places in PR lately, Brrrrrr!

Yes, Cupid's Blush is really nice,

Melissa

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10b)

Thats a great bloom Wilfred..

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love this one, Wilfred. Very, very pretty. How are you doing?

Hugs from Texas,
Judy

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you Dawn, Melissa, Jon and Judy for your Complements, really have high hopes with this one to become a gorgeouse bush with many blooms.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Wilfred, I'd also like to comment that your photographs,(meaning the craft of photography), are superb. The flowers seem to be really there in front of me.

Melissa

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's a photo of the second bloom " Cupid's Blush " has put out, what a coincidence that today is St' Valentines Day.

#27 " Cupid's Blush"

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Melissa, camera really helps and I find that when you zoom in and step back while taking the photo help get the colors the best.

Wilfred

#27 " Cupid's Blush "

Thumbnail by WQP
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I like that one too...very very pretty

Darla

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Darla, hope it grows fast so I can take cutting from it to propagate and make more.

Wilfred

#27 " Cupid's Blush "

Thumbnail by WQP
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love that one, Wilfred. Very, very pretty. Thanks for sharing with us. We're having very warm weather today but "may" have snow by tomorrow night. But, I'm enjoying wearing short sleeves & flip flops today. Spring has to come sometime!!!

Warm Hugs From Texas,
Judy

zone 6a, KY

I am enjoying the tropical beauties from Wilfred and wondering if it is going to snow again. It finally melted off, though so even if winter argues, spring is getting ready to move it. I can hardly wait for spring bulbs :).

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Judy and Dawn, comments are much appreciated and spring does has to come sooner or later, prefer it to be sooner for yous though.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This new seedling just bloomed for me recently, I have named her "Michelle" after a friend of mien, and its blooms last to full days opened completely

Your Friend Wilfred

#28 " Michelle "

Thumbnail by WQP
Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Wilfred! Another beautiful baby...Congrats!

Two days! That's wonderful!

Here are the little ones I got from you, They're coming right along.

Melissa

This message was edited Apr 21, 2010 9:49 PM

Thumbnail by
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi dee, long time haven't heard from you, thanks for the complement, got another one coming soon. I have two of the Hibs I had promise to send you when rooted ready, "The Cross" & "Lauren", the other two "Little dee" & "Jillian" have been quite challenging to root cuttings of them for some reason, probably the lower temp we've been having this past year, but don't worry started some new cutting of them again. I was hoping all four would be ready by now but that hasn't been the case so now I thinking of sending you the first two ahead of the others two and send you the others later on. BTW dee, how are you doing, hope your well and family also.

Thanks Melissa, I can see you already potted up two of the hibs and they look great, hope they grow bigger and faster for you with lots of blooms.

Your Friend Wilfred

#28 "Michelle"

Thumbnail by WQP

I put two in bigger pots right away because they had such roots! The other two will get bigger pots soon, when their roots are more filling their pots.

I sure do turn plants out of their pots a lot! They all groan when they see me coming!

Does anyone know of a source of clear plastic pots?

The sugar birds and humming birds visit this hib all day.

Thumbnail by
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone and happy hib season! I'm about to get the first new blooms as well which is a huge surprize because mine usually starts blooming waaaaay later in summer. BTW is it true the potted hibs don't like to be turned or moved around when blooming because they will drop buds? I always try to be extra careful...

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

carpathiangirl depending were your moving it to, if you have it in a shadier spot a move it to a brighter spot bud and leaves may fall off since it would start to set new ones adapted to that amount of sun, but if your moving it to an area that's receiving the same amount of sun it wouldn't do anything to it. It all has to do with light adaptation.

Melissa that's a "Painted Lady" you posted, my first hib crossings was with one of those and an orange hib I got from a neighbor and my first seedling to bloom "Neon Morning" is what came out of that crossing. you can find clear pot on the net, they are used for growing orchids and they usually have holes on the sides.

Your Friend Wilfred

#28 "Michelle"

Thumbnail by WQP

Thanks Wilfred! anytime you want to send those plants, you just feel free. The weather here will hopefully stay warm enough so that new babies will thrive.

The family is doing fine, thanks for asking. How is your son? Hope all goes well in PR.

I swear one of these days I'll get around to sending you some cuttings. Unfortunately I lost quite a few of my smaller hib plants over the winter so I don't quite have the variety I used to but I'm sure I have something that you will like :-).

Take Care!
d

Hum, it's the question you ask, hey? Not "clear flower pot", google will show you a toy glass pot for a candle. "Orchid pot clear" and there they are. Thank you, Wilfred!

Can you believe that Jim asked 'what is Superthrive? lol. "Is it different from super bloom. I tried to give a good answer, vitamin B1 and root hormone. That's the first time I've tried to read all that writing on the label, I put on two pairs of magnifying glasses.

Thumbnail by
Munden, KS

Beautiful bloom,the name suits it.I'm still waiting for my first bloom.Karen

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love Michelle, Wilfred. Will send you a Dmail.

Hey Dee, how are you doing?

So glad to have the worst winter ever to end.

Hugs,
Judy

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Karen & Judy thanks for the compliments on my new seedling, hope to have a few more comming soon.

dee, know what you mien, lost quite a few myself, more than what I expected to but have to keep moving on, still have lots of seedling that haven't bloom yet.

Your Friend Wilfred

#28 "Michelle"

Thumbnail by WQP

Wilfred, you've been getting a lot of rain the last few days.

Michelle has such lovely pink all through the flower, makes the colors shimmer. That one's a winner!

Looking forward to the next new ones. I'm still pollinating the two I have blooming, that orange, and the pink, Painted Lady? But they don't like each other! No seeds! (yet)

Melissa

This message was edited Apr 24, 2010 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by

Hey Judy! How are you? I owe you a package too! One of these days...
d

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Dee, I have been playing in the dirt & loving every minute of it. Trying to get as much done as I can cause I will have company next month for at least a week....maybe more. Will have to stop & clean a pathway through the house before they come. Maybe I can get my nephew to help in the yard???? Give your Hibs time & see it they come back. I've cut back my GV & they are putting on leaves. Also had some Brugs that I thought were really dead & they started sprouting from the dirt.....in pots all winter. Under 15" of snow!!! Tough little dudes! No Co-op this year?

Hugs,
Judy

Judy,

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and that you will be home...so if a box arrives for you, you'll know who its from :-)

d

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Have two new seedling to show One I named Doris and the other I named Melissa.
This one is Doris, its a medium orange color, not to deep and not to light just in the middle.

Your Friend Wilfred

#29 "Doris"

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

And this one is Melissa, its like a neon orange, has that tropical feel to it when you see it in person, it looks a little like it glows a little like the neon lights on the edge of the petals.

I truly hope I get some other color tones out of my other seedling, lately I've been getting only the orange tones to bloom for me.

#30 "Melissa"

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

A this seedling just opened for me today and I named it "My Friend Jim". It has two tones of orange that I hope will stay true to the plant itn future blooms, really looks nice to me.

Your Friend Wilfred

#31 "My Friend Jim"

Thumbnail by WQP
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have a question. How long does it take a hibiscus to bloom when started from seed?

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

If your lucky and live in a warmer climate zone one year but most of the times two years from seeds, this is for tropical hibiscus.

Your Friend Wilfred

#31 "My Friend Jim"

Thumbnail by WQP
Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I have hardy hib, tx star hibs and this hib seedling I got from the seeds across the street. The guy that owns the property there just mows down anything that grows in the yard, but a branch of this one grow real close to the fence so he missed it. When it went to seed last fall, I watched it and when he cut it down and threw it over thefence I went and collected the seeds. My sister say it has fairly large white with red centers (that she says if she is remembering correctly). So now I'll see how I do with starting hibs from seeds. I have lots of seeds to try with.

Thank you for the information. IF I get them to live and grow I'll post. IF they bloom I will diffenentlly Post pictures.

Marti

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Wilfred, #31 is awesome. The yellows make the orange and pinks look luminous!

My indoor hibs have not been blooming for a while, however, Pocahontas bloomed for the first time today. Snug, :o)

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Huber Heights , OH(Zone 5b)

Nice picture of Pocahotas, here is ours blooming in Ohio

Patrick and Donna

Thumbnail by stplong
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wilfred, How have I missed this thread, I give ALL of your flowers a #1
Sure glad I am feeling stronger and can read all the posts, tomorrow if all goes well I will take some pictures.
I hope your OK
slowing down, yea that's a joke isn't it.

your friend Doris

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Doris, slowing down, don't think so, more rather speeding up I would say. just planted 138 new Hib seedling, and planting cuttings from all the hibs I have that I'm able to take cuttings of now that the weather has warm up a little more. most of the cuttings I did last time failed, temp. went to low for them to set roots for me, 60*F and it rain to much during that time also. also planted around 200 more hib seeds from cross pollination I've done with my hibs during last week an some are already germinating for me. That only on the hibs with out counting all the other plants I got that I have to water from time to time, this plant hobby is like another job totally but I enjoy it, just hope I can turn it into a business off some sort. BTW, thanks my friend for being yourself, a kind and wonderful person.

Mary, haven't forgotten you, you never sent me your mailing address and BTW, how the bird houses comming along, have you done any more of them. I've planted some cuttings of the one you liked so much last year #1 "Neon Morning", I planted a cutting last year in the garden to see how it would perform and it has produced prettier flowers there, much bigger blooms and brighter colors too.

Hi Patrick and Donna, you two sure tend to disappear from time to time, hows the girls, bet Lexie is having a good time at school, probably telling you lots of kids stories, has her hib set buds yet, planted a cutting of it in the garden also and the same thing happened, bigger blooms and bright colors. Hope hers do as well. I planted some more cuttings of the ones I named after you and Donna, first ones fail to root properly do to the lower temp. like the first ones I did for Lexie but I think these will do much better now that its warmer. Your "Pocahontas" looks beautiful, can't wait to see the others you have. BTW, did you ever get a chance to plant the cutting of The "Blue Ballerina" you offered me, really would love to have one to cross pollinate it with some of mien, also sadly another of the seedlings from the seeds you sent me didn't make it, really got me sadden since it was one of you had cross pollinated with your "Silver Memories" that I wanted so much also, and there's another that's not doing so great ether just hope it makes it, seem the ones you want them to flourish more are the ones that are harder to grow, just hope the warmer weather helps them grow.

Snugs, thanks, hope your other hibs bloom soon for you also, your "Pocahontas" looks beautiful also even though colors tone are different from Patrick's and Donna's, love when hibs change color do to temp. changes, its like having two hibs in one. Just hope my new hib "My Friend Jim" stays true to its color pattern, two tones that is, darker orange on top and lighter orange on the bottom of the blooms, never seen this before and it would be nice to have one like this, who knows if I cross pollinate it with other hibs they to miet come out two tones too, top and bottom.

Your Friend Wilfred

"#31 "My Friend Jim"

Thumbnail by WQP

Hi, Wilfred, You've taken a break from posting. I hope all is OK with you. Did you feel the earthquake? I know it was on the other side of PR from where you live. It made CNN headline news this morning.

My (your) hibs are doing well, except C'est Bon, and it's in Intensive Care, plenty of chemicals to try to fix problems. I treated them equally, but C'est Bon decided to be a grouch. You said they do that sometimes.

Light Painted Lady has buds, and the other two will soon.

Have a good day, and do post if My Friend Jim kept the two colors. Or if it didn't.

Your friend to the East,

Melissa

Thumbnail by
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Melissa, I'm OK, just got to many thing to do right now, I'm replanting all my baby DRs and planting Hib cuttings with what little time I have left, and that's not much for me.

Did feel the earthquake last night, was pretty strong and lasted more than a minute, never felt one that strong and for such a long period as that one, their was a second one later but much weaker, all the people on the whole island are on an alert as our island has history on some really strong earthquake. some mountain slide were reported but not many just a few.

But C'est Bon in a lighter area, looks like it needs more sunlight, they can be pretty hard to establish at first and cutting are difficult to make them produce roots, out of 24 only two produced roots, yours is one of them. just hope it makes it, don't use any fertilizer on it yet especially the super bloom type, only use SUPERthrive when you water it for now, fertilizer can burn the few roots it has at this time. cuttings from the one I named after you are doing better than the rest, looks like you got the stronger hib named after you. I let you know if "My Friend Jim" keeps the tendency of producing two tones but that will take a while for new growth as I cut it also two propagate it just in case anything happen to it.

Well till later, and take care,
Your Friend Wilfred

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.