YOUR OPINION REQUESTED

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That is funny about your dog--I hope you at least get a picture of the bloom before she eats it! My dog has never shown any interest in my hibiscus (or any of my other plants...thank goodness!) I am a little surprised the hummingbirds have never even looked at my hibiscus though--I keep mine on my front deck and I have a fountain there and there's a hummingbird who comes every day to have a drink and take a bath in the fountain, but he's never so much as looked at the hibbies.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It must be a southern thing. I have many plants for the hummers but they love my hibiscus too, particularly any with red, even if they are right next to a more tubular red flower. They really tear up the petals too with their wings beating against them. The deer love the flowers also; I am told they salivate over sweet flowers and hibiscus are edible and sweet.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Robert for the complement, it sure makes you feel good especially when the person who makes the comment has some of the most beautiful hibiscus I've ever seen. Maybe it depends on the type of hibiscus or butterflies and hummingbirds, who knows, we don't have squirrel over here, the only thing that try to eat my hibiscus are those pesky three to five feet long panamanian tree lizard, my dog likes tow eat as snacks every time he get one. by the way my dog think he's a chicken, he make holes in my yard, flower beds and gets in them like chickens do when they make a nest to lay eggs, he's a weird dog.

Hey Liz, maybe it's like you said, it my be because of the other thing you planted around to attract them, I've done the same thing for the hummingbirds and the bees, especially the bees since they decline all over the world more than two thirds, sad but true, I use to have lots of them in my garden and could see them every were, but now I only see some in my yard around my flowers. Ever since I notice that, I've been planting every type of flower plants they can feed on to help them propagate, nature needs them and so do we, even doe I'm allergic to their stings and I try not to use any type of pesticide that might hurt them.

Wilfred

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Wilfred,

You are too kind. Thank you for the compliment. I am a hobbiest at heart and love them. I then became an addict LOL As far as weird things. It's not every day I get to see all of the birds hovering while an OWL sits in the bird bath. This happened last year LOL

Enjoy,
Robert

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Sarasota, FL

a definite #1 rating
lovely bloom

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is my third hibiscus crossing to bloom, what do you hibiscus lovers think about it.

Wilfred

#3 "Stuck In His Thumb

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:18 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Stuck in His Thumb
That sould be you new flowers name, cause it looks like you could pull out a plum.
It is a beatiful color and crisp form!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10b)

Like it ......

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

The first flower of the thread is absolutely a '1'. It is beautiful. I could look at it all day.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you TroubleX2 again for the name, you should see it in person, well you might if I can get a cutting rooted on time to ship it with th other plant I've seperated for you quit a time ago. weather has made it a little bit to slow to grow, it's been rainning since the last time I wrote to you and this is dry season over here on the island.

Also thank you paczona & 2busygardening, . The second and third time the first plant in the thread bloomed looked even better than the first one it put out.

Would like to see what oppinion the other hibiscus lovers have about the third one. Plant number 4 has buds on it, can't wait to see what comes out.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely bloom :)

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks redheadedwonder11, one more hibiscus for my collection. I'm already trying to propagate it, lets see how that goes, the cold and rainy weather is making hard to propagate anything, 55F and lower in some areas.

Wilfred

#3 "Stuck In His Thumb"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:17 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I can't wait until my hibiscus start blooming :)

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Looking foward to see your hibiscus pictures, I'll bet they will look wonderfull. I can't wait until all my new crossing start to bloom, it's like waiting for a surprise, don't know what can come out until it does.

Wilfred

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

My new hibiscus I called it Lipstick because it looks like it has lipstick in the center. What do you thing

Wilfred

#4 "Lipstick"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:41 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's a close up of the flower.

Wilfred

#4 "Lipstick"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:23 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is another new hibiscus that bloomed and I called it Manila because the color is almost the same color as the manila envelope one use in offices and at schools to save papers. This one is bigger than my first ones I crossed pollinated. What you think of this one, i like the way the pink center pop out.

Wilfred

#5 " Manilla"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:22 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's another photo of the bloom.

Wilfred

#5 "Manila"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Both very pretty. I really like Lipstick with its vibrant colors, but Manila is very pretty too!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you very much redheadedwonder11, I have four more of my crossing budding right now, can't wait to see what comes out. So far ten of my crossing have bloom, the five that i have shown you, two that came out identical as the parent plant, one completely deformed and two ( one red and one orange ) that didn't have to much of a difference from there parent plant, so I didn't even bother to take photos. just have to wait to see what else come out of the more than two hundred seedling and one year old plants I have, too bad I didn't have the real fancy hibiscus when I started to Cross pollinate them, than I might have had some real beauties to show to all of you, like Pizonne01, and some of the other professional breeders that show some of the most beautiful blooms I have ever seen in my life.

Until next bloom, thanks,
Wilfred

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm sure you will get there soon :) Your hibiscus blooms always look great to me!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks redheadedwonder11, it's nice to know at least somebody else likes them beside myself. It's hard to get them noticed with all those beautiful ones out there.

Wilfred

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

hi wilfred,

These are all very pretty!!! I especially like the Manilla with the lighter eye. Way to go!!!

Robert

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Robert, just like redheadedwonder11, your remarks are very kind and up lifting. Someday I'll get one as beautiful as the other one on the forum but it might be a while before that happens, I just stated cross-pollinating about ten month ago and I didn't have much to cross with only a few that I didn't even know there names and I still don't know there names today. I'll keep trying!

Wilfred

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is one of two new seedling that opened today, what do you think of it, should I give it a name or just put it aside.

Wilfred

#6 "Yielding Light"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:43 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is the second one of the two new seedling, the same, should I give it a name or put it aside.

Wilfred

#7 "Apricot Kiss"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:44 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

The first yellow one is okay. But the second one I like; I would call it Butterscotch Delight. I like that soft mellow color. Pretty!

Patty

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

how about-
yeilding light

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I like that too Trouble.

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

2nd one- apricot kiss

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I really like the second one. The hint of red/pink in the first is pretty too!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Phughes, TroubleX2 and redheadedwonder11, "Butterscotch Delight" is a great name but I will save it for another one, have a few more seedling that will bloom shortly and I will need new names for them. the new names will be, the first "Yielding Light" and the second one "Apricot Kiss". Again, thank for the names Phughes and TroubleX2, and thank you redheadedwonder11 for the compliments, like always I can count on all of you to help.

Wilfred

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here is a new seedling that opened this morning, it's not big but is nice. to bad it isn't bigger. What you think of it.

Wilfred

#8 "Scarlet Flame"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:21 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful color!!!!!

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd name it,"Scarlet Flame."

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks phughes and TroubleX2 for the compliment and the name. TroubleX2, where do you come out with these wonderful names, I usually have half the name when I post them, than Bam! you come out with the other half of it. for instance, the first one Neon you came up with ( Neon Morning ), the second one I was thinking in the melon/pumpkin area, Bam! you came up with ( Pumpkin Smile ), third one I was thinking how the center had that plum color, bam! you came up with ( Stuck in his Thumb ) and gave where you got the idea for the name. Than come #6 ( Yielding Light ) I was thinking of something with light in it, Bam! again you get the name ( Yielding Light ), #7, I think of apricot, Bam! you thought of ( Apricot Kiss ). Now I was thinking what a nice scarlet color bloom the hibiscus has and maybe use a name that contain the word scarlet in it, Bam! you automatically thought of ( Scarlet Flame ) It;s like you can read other people mind,LOL, anyway Thank you so much with the names.

Wilfred

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is a lovely bloom. I love the rich colors. I think it has to be one of my favorites so far!

Hammond, LA

All of your blooms are incredible! Would love to learn how to cross hibiscus as there are so many possibilities. Seems like you'd need a lot of patience though, waiting a year for the results. My hat is off to you WQP. You certainly have a lot of 'Babies' to fill your day and give you joy!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks redheadedwonder11 and juliana57, compliment are much appreciated. juliana57, its really quite easy to cross pollinate hibiscus and your right about all the possibilities you can get, there is just no limit to them, and for the patience it take for waiting, the joy it give you when they bloom is even bigger. There are many sites in this forum that can help you learn to do it.

Wilfred

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Ready for the next lovely blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.