YOUR OPINION REQUESTED

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I would like to receive any ones opinion on my new flower of a crossing I did with a pink hibiscus with an orange one.
Evaluate it from 1 to 10, 1 being the prettiest and 10 being the ugliest.

Wilfred

#1 "Neon Morning"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:19 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Citra, FL

Well I am certainly no one to be evaluating anyone's hibiscus, but I can tell you I think its very very pretty!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i give it a 1

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you Fla_Chick & jordankittyjo for the complement on the hibiscus, I had given it a 5 when I compared it to all of the other hibiscus that I have in my collection and seen on the net. I have more than 200 crossing I've done and this was the first to bloom, there are two more that are about to bloom soon. I can hardly wait to see what comes out after waiting for a year for them to grow. I hope more people see it and tell mi what they think of it.

Wilfred

#1 "Neon Morning"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:50 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

The colors are wonderful and the more it blooms, most likely the shape of the flower will improve.
Barb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think its beautiful. I don't have any YET! Give me time! he he

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Why thank you Beach Barbie and Darlacooper, I really hope the shape improves barb, and Darla when I start to propagate it I'll send you one if you want one, let me know.

Wilfred

Tulsa, OK

I have to say I really do like the coloration of this bloom, petal consistency as you said will probably improve over time but it's a keeper. I'm curious what is the bush growth like?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

i give it a 1. If you need a test market in houston tx area, I'm here!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I like the coloration too ultimateshopper, if you could have seen it in person I think you would have like it more. The plant has more of a up-right growth, but I can't really tell since it only has one year since I planted the seeds and it's 24" high up-to now. I cut 4" off the tip to see how it spreads.

mm mm! vossner, Houston TX. sounds like a nice place to test it indeed, has soon as I propagate it I'll let you know.

thank you both for your comment, it really motivates me in doing what I like to do the most, my plant hobby. Soon as I take picture of some other hibiscus plants seeds I planted I'll post them, some have some leaf that look like maple and oak leaves. One plant doesn't even have the hibiscus growth patterns that I have ever seen and I know it came from a hibiscus seed.

Wilfred

#1 "Neon Morning"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:09 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous one! 1 for sure.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you troubleX2 and cat4gp, I can't wait to see what comes out of the other 178 plant I planted last year and the other 87 six moths ago, I also have13 new plants that started to spout of the 22 seeds I planted three weeks ago and I planted 32 seeds yesterday. I think I'm becoming a hibiscus addict.

Wilfred

WQP I think these are a good thing to be addicted to there are much worse things and in my opinion not as enjoyable

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't worry about becoming a Hibiscus addict it is no worse than me being a Daylily addict or fern addict or Epis. addict. I'm sure there are many here that can relate. LOL!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Darlacooper and TroubleX2, I wish every body had our type of addiction to flowers and plants, the world would be a much nicer place with less problems.
TroubleX2, do daylilies re-bloom in your area year after year, or do they bloom once when you receive and plant them, that's what happen to me when I purchase $200 worth of daylilies 3 years ago, I still have the plants but no flowers.

Wilfred

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

I just started my collection last April and I had 4 cultivars rebloomed, Tropical Treasure, Big Kiss (Rebloomed twice), and Double Cutie, and Ebony Laminate,.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Very pretty! I give it a 1 :)

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

WQP
How many Hibiscus do you have, are your daylilies in full sun?
April

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you redheadedwonder11, much appreciated.

TroubleX2, I just have 84 adult hibiscus plants in which some I have two of them, about 178 or a little more that are between one and a half to two foot tall that I planted last year from the seeds I collected from the crossings I did of the first 84 plants I brought a year and a half ago, don't know yet what may comes out of them yet, the picture that I ask to rate was the fist plant to bloom of the 178. Also 14 that just stated to sprout from seed I planted three weeks ago that are about one inch high. one thing I can tell you is that for some reason some of the plant have a total different leaf patter or growth habit. In total, about 250 if I some them all.

About the day-lilies, they get sun light all day long just as they did the only time they ever did bloom, I even cross pollinated them, got seed, plants stated to grow from seed, but no more flower, I had about 200 new plant from seed, but since the parent plant fell to bloom again I just abandoned them. Still have parent plant and some of the seedling are still alive. looks like the weather is to hot for them to bloom, they may need a colder period in a colder place than here to re-bloom.

Wilfred

#1 "Neon Morning"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:10 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Would love to see all the pictures of your crosses in the hibiscus.
I would love to start a collection of them as well. My daughter is hooked on them, but with 3 children, spends little on flowers, she comes to ma ma's house to see what she can talk me out of for her growing interest in plants and flowers.
The more I look at your first Hibiscus cross the more I like it, it's got a halo to it that is outstanding.
Edit to say I would call it,"Neon Morning."

This message was edited Jan 15, 2009 5:54 PM

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

TroubleX2 as soon as they start to bloom I will take there pictures and post them in this forum, as of wanting to start a collection I may be able to help you. I'm going to start propagating the again as soon as the rainy season stops, its been quit a heck of a long one this year over here, not to good for the hibiscus, send mi your address. Funny thing, I was thing of the name Neon for it since it seems to glow when you look at it and I was going to ask for opinions, but Neon Morning is just great for it.

Wilfred

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

This is my second hibiscus crossing to bloom, what do you think about it and what rating would you give this one. I've already cross pollinated it with a darker one that I brought that had know name on it but it was pretty.

Wilfred

#2 "Pumpkin Smile"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:52 PM

Thumbnail by WQP

I think that is very pretty. Nice bright colors

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

That is pretty, looks like a pumpkin color.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like how the white veins out into the yellow/orange. The pink in the center adds to the overall appeal as well :)

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks for the review on the second hibiscus, comments are encouraging. This is one of those hibiscus that don't draw to much attention at first sit, but when you keep looking at it you start to like it more and more and find it to be prettier than what you thought it was. Any suggestion for a name I could give it.

Wilfred

#2 "Pumpkin Smile"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:53 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

"Pumpkin Smile"

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks TroubleX2, It's a wonderful name, Pumpkin Smile it is. I would have never thought of it.

Wilfred

#2 "Pumpkin Smile"

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:34 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Your welcome Wilfred.
* bats eyelashes*

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful, Wilfred! I give your bloom at the thread top a definite 1.

karen

Fayetteville, GA(Zone 7b)

Both are beautiful!!...and i am not a pro...but I would give both a 1...!!

does the first one have any red in it? ..or is that pink in the center??

melanie

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you Karen & Melina for your complements, it makes the time it takes to bloom from seeds worth it.

Melanie, the first one starts red in the center followed by pink, color on the flower are as close as possible to the photos .

Wilfred

#1 "Neon Morning"

This message was edited May 16, 2009 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by WQP
Fayetteville, GA(Zone 7b)

very pretty!!...do hummingbirds/butterflies like Hibiscus??
melanie

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never seen hummingbirds on mine, they tend to like things with tubular flowers so I wouldn't think hibiscus would be their first choice. I've never seen butterflies on mine either although I don't know what the reason would be for that.

Fort Collins, CO

Wilfred I absolutely love your first hibiscus! Neon Morning is a perfect name for it. :) The colors are so gorgeous on it! I give it a 1 all the way!!!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thank you MadamePapillon for the review,and I think ecrane3 in my opinion is correct, I have never seen a hummingbird nor a butterfly ever stop at one of my hibiscus flower even thou I've have seen them fly close to them. In fact, I've never seen a bee land on them ether. I think it because hibiscus don't produce the sticky nectar that other flower produce they only produce pollen.

Acacius48, thank you for your review and comment, but I have to give TroubleX2 credit for the name ( Neon Morning ) I was only thinking of naming it ( Neon ) which I didn't mention it to no one when all of a sudden she came out with this name which and I liked better. kind of a coincidence

Wilfred

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello Everyone,
Wilfred you have some beauties. My experience is as follows. I have had hummingbirds on few occassions just tear up a bloom. I often see butterflies around my garden and the squirrels love to eat my blooms as well as the family dog (lol). Must be a texas thing. Thanks for sharing your beauties!!!
Robert

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In my garden it might be that I have planted a lot of things on purpose that hummingbirds love in order to attract them, so since I've got all their favorites they stick with those rather than going for the hibiscus? I have had grasshoppers munch my blooms but nobody else seems to be very interested in them.

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi liz
That may be it. I only have my hibbies in the back. I am sure yours is a beauty. I thought about doing something else this year since i'm getting rid of a bunch. It will probably upset the squirrels and our dog though. When I pick the blooms and put them out. I have to give her 1 or she goes nuts. Pretty funny.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.