Variegated foliage MGs

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

wow Dany, nice picture!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Incredible variegation and with such a lovely bloom

I have this one coming along that has made leaves with very nice variegation. I am not sure of the ID however; I have the container marked as Akatsuki no Kurenai but I can't find the seed packet from where the seeds came that gave rise to this nice plant. It seems that every leaf has variegation to some degree or other. Even the cotyledons are variegated.

Joseph

Thumbnail by
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I have seen exactly 2 instances of genetically variegated leaves in Ipomoea purpurea,although in the 1st instance several years ago,the grower was somehow unable to keep proper track of the plant and seeds with the variegated leaves...the type of variegation on this 1st plant was somewhat similar to the I.nil crystal type...

I hope to see better success from the seeds of the 2nd I.purpurea plant that bore variegated leaves...the variegation type that presented on this 2nd plant was not the same as I've seen on I.nil and was closer to the type seen on some philodendrons...

TTY,...

Ron

Thumbnail by RON_CONVOLVULACEAE
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Ipomoea purpurea variegated leaf Photo #2

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Ipomoea purpurea variegated leaf photo #3

szarvas, Hungary

Wow Ron that's something really NEW - purpurea variegated !
All the leaves are like that ?
great !

On Yahoo-Japan a very pretty Brown Chocolate with variegated leaf

Thumbnail by dany12

Ron, I love that last heart shaped leaf with the varigation.. awsome! question for anyone... does the purple blizzard have varigated leaves? it seems to have some ...

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

dany - The leaves on both of plants shown above in the 3 photos were variegated,but the seeds from the plant in the first 2 photos were lost...the plant in photo #3 were definitely all variegated and I"m hoping that the few seeds collected also produce plants with variegated leaves...

Yes, you are right, in that so far there aren't any I.purpurea with variegated leaves available anywhere for sale or for trade (except for a select few strains for research purposes at Kyushu),but maybe that will change in the relatively near future...

Debra - most of the blizzards have variegated leaves including the purple colored ones...

TTY,...

Ron

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 11:27 PM

hi ron and dany... i've been looking at the varigated purpurea q1152 on the Kyushu University site for ages... they have a gold/green mottled variegation(and trilobed leaves)... nice... but not as nice as the brighter creams as seen in Rons #1 and #2 photo's wich remind me of "marmorata" ivy... the bolder cream splashes on Ron' #3 photo ... now those leaves would be a real show even without flowers.... the thing with variegated plants i find is that the vigor is generally reduced...which could be a plus in the case of ipomoea purpurea...
http://66.102.9.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://mg.biology.kyushu-u.ac.jp/mg-files/strainlist-brandnew/06catalog/pages/1152-0009.html&usg=ALkJrhich2m1TxWDcZRQ1avwIYEMt6q5tA
http://66.102.9.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://mg.biology.kyushu-u.ac.jp/mg-files/strainlist-brandnew/06catalog/pages/1180-4579.html&usg=ALkJrhifLWtiBbFwOOqme-nuypn0EzvH7A
Ron if you ever have any going spare...please let me know :-)

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 5:49 PM

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Colin - Thanks for the links to the variegated I.purpurea at Kyushu...I thought I had seen some on there,but the variegation was relatively low contrast,so I didn't have the links to those handy...if you happen across any other variegated I.purpurea at Kyushu (or anywhere else) send me the links...

Thanks (!)

TTY,...

Ron

Nice leaf variegation on Ipomoea nil 'Tsubame' showing on this indoors-grown plant. This leaf is about the 3rd or 4th leaf. Earlier ones did not have variegated leaves.

Joseph

Thumbnail by
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nice Joseph! This was a great thread to resurrect; I feel inspired to get some MG's going indoors right now. lol.

Joanne

Thanks, Joanne! What will you be starting up?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well, I still have some of those Sun Smiles seeds (mentioned in above posts) - I might try them. The plants stay reasonably-sized so they'd be okay to start right now. Other than that, I'll have to go sifting through my MG seed box - lots of possiblities in there too. Ü
Cheers and Happy New Year!

Sun Smiles makes awesome leaves, it's a great choice! Happy new year to you too!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I will be growing those Sunsmiles next year, if I have enough room left! lol

Cameo Elegance is the best, so far!(sorry I couldn't get a better pic, the vine was rather old, anyway)>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

I like the leaves on Cameo Elegance, nice photograph, indeed.

my cameo elegance did well this past summer. It was a dainty varigated leaf with a petite personality as well. I have sun smiles, I have not planted any yet.

Thank you!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Cameo Elegance is one of the best MGs for variegated leaves! Just gorgeous!!

Sunsmiles is nice, too! :-)

I recently heard of an unvariegated leaf type of Cameo Elegance vine. That vine dropped its genes somewhere along the way.

I sure did enjoy this one last summer..

Thumbnail by joeswife

This one was a very small vine, it kept getting crowded by other things..the leaves were beautiful ..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Wonderful pink Debra.

szarvas, Hungary

Here the number Q 0943-4437 from the Collection KU, but it is a cultivar such as "petrified tree" a flat stem.( in this collection they are a lot with clear variegated foliage )
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/dany12_1226728214_202.jpg

Cameo Elegance - Chidori red.( small bloom small leaves)

Thumbnail by dany12

Those JMGs are exquisitely leaf-variegated, Dany - incredible to see such plants in photographs but can you imagine seeing them in real life?

joeswife and dany, totally beautiful!!

Dany - VERY nice photo of Cameo Elegance showing the amazing variegated leaves! That cultivar is worth growing just for the foliage. I wonder how well it would work to cross it with other plain, solid color leafed I. nils. Might make a nice parent to an F1! ;-)

Really nice Photo, Dany.. I like how they use the rope for training...

I like the way the variegation pattern seems to emanate from the central leaf vein for Tsubame.

Thumbnail by

Thats Pretty, I like the pattern.

Lovely variegation!

Thanks, much! I am looking forward to seeing the flowers!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely foliage - nice to be able to enjoy that while you're waiting for the blooms!

Thanks Jo,

I agree with you. This JMG strain is a slow growing vine, which is good for indoor growing for leaf viewing. It is just as well I don't use flower-inducing fertilizer on the plants because I will be on business travel for the next 2 weeks so I would miss any flowers that would appear early.

Joseph

Gerris, that is a pretty one;)!

~Daniel

Thanks, Daniel. I go away from home for 2 weeks starting on Friday, and I hope my daughter can keep alive the few plants I have going while I am away.

Missed this one. Lovely variegation Joseph.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.