House plant that tolerates cool temp

Whitmore Lake, MI

Can anyone recommend a plant that will be suitable for desk top/bookshelf, light from west window, average temp about
50 degrees? Room used a few times a week. Temp brought up to about 65 when occupied. Seems that most indoor plants
like it warmer.

Thumbnail by lbveas
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Ivy prefers cool temps.Begonias tolerate it well,as do cacti and succulents.There are a lot of choices.What characteristics are you looking for as far as size,shape,etc?

Whitmore Lake, MI

Easy to care for (of course). The room is dry but I can water as needed. Size wise 12 to 18" tall and wide or less.
Flowering would be good.
Omaha! my old stompin' grounds. Stationed at Offut early 60's. Love that town. Bohemian Cafe and Casio's
still in business?
Larry

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Fatsia japonica or Fathshedera would both do well there.

Larry,
Yes,they are both still booming,as is Piccolos and a few others.Ross',Roses Lodge,Cliffs,Mister C's and the original Caniglia's are long gone,but some of the oldies are still here,among them Gorat's,Stella's and the Smoke Pit.
How do you like Michigan?

Lynn

Whitmore Lake, MI

Lynn,
You must be referring to Stella's in Bellevue. Best burgers anywhere. As a young airman, spent lots of time there.
Went back on a nostalgia trip some years back and was pleased to find absolutely nothing changed except
Stella had died.
Have lived in Michigan 41 years so I call it home. I love the seasons but the state is doing very poorly as you must
know from the news.

So, what about the house plant recommendation?
Larry

Whitmore Lake, MI

Nan,
Thanks for the rec. I think both plants would be to big for a bookshelf. Any other suggestions in the
range of 12-16"?
Larry

Thumbnail by lbveas

Larry,
There are lots that fit your requirements.Look over this list and see what sounds good and we can post pictures and care tips for you.Scroll down the page a little.
http://ag.arizona.edu/gardening/indoorplants.html

Lynn

Larry,
One plant I highly recommend is an Angel Wing or Dragon Wing Begonia.You can keep them pruned to any size you want and they will bloom all winter (and summer,too).They rarely take a break.
Lynn

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You might try azalea or cyclamen for blooms as they're not suited to warm centrally heated homes.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I agree w/lbrabec that Angelwing begonias would be a great choice.

Another plant that enjoys cool temps and would like the lighting you have available is Streptocarpus.

kniphofia has a great idea about the Azalea, too....it's often difficult to find a good location for an Azalea, but I think the one you have would be a great location for one!

Brookfield, CT

How about geraniums (pelargoniums)? You can plant them out in the summer and overwinter them inside. Choose ones with interesting foliage like 'Mrs. Cox' or 'Prince Rupert Variegated' so you have something nice to look at when they aren't in bloom. Logee's is a good source.

Whitmore Lake, MI

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up with some simple plants: a cyclamen, a begonia reiger (no angelwing or dragon wing available) and a croton petra. The local nursery didn't have an azelea but I want one so I'll look further.
I salvaged some geraniums from planters on the porch. This will be the second over- winter for these guys.

Thumbnail by lbveas
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Siderasis "Brown Spiderwort" (Siderasis fuscata) is a very low care, low light, low wter, etc lovely full plant for a table, desk, etc. Mine came from either HD or Lowes and is an Exotic Angel plant. Purchased about 2-3 months ago is is doing quite well on the tble in my lv rm that rarely has a light on except in the evening if I'm reading. The leaves are a dark green with a light, not quite white stripe and hints of burgandyon the edges and the underside is burgandy. I think there are ctually 2 plants in this 5" pot & they are about 12" in diam and 12" high.
Check it out! I'm going to go, now and try to add it to my plant list.

Anchorage, AK

Hi! I realize this is an older thread but thought I would add a very cool plant you may enjoy, the ZZ Plant or Zamioculcas Zamiifolia. It can handle cooler temperatures & low light, it can also handle being dry. It has lighter green new growth that darkens so you get a two toned effect. Super easy to care for. Check it out! :)

http://www.indoor-plant-care.com/indoor_plant.asp?item=plant_details&id_razred=12&recId=78&title=Zamioculcas+zamifolia

Thumbnail by icanfindroom

That is a cool looking plant.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I bought a ZZ plant at the garden centre today. I had a plant when I lived in Maine and loved it. I repotted my plant when I got it home, I had to cut the old pot off as it was so potbound!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I was getting ready to suggest this one! I had one for about 8 years or so and then last summer divided it so I could share some in a DG plant swap. 2 of the 3 stalks I kept bit the dust..er ...dirt, but the last one seems to be OK. BUT I found some at Lowe's and bought em right up. They had 2 and I got both of them! I LOVE this plant, and wanted to insure that I would have one. They are each in 6" pots ......heck , a pic tells 1000words so I'll click-n post them. I've never seen a large one, but have been told they can be enormously impressive. I hope that mine grow large. I had many lovely and some rare & unusual plants till loss in a house fire a few years ago. Some I'd had over 25 years (a few cacti and n Avocado). Am starting over with plants and the swaps with DG members are great.
Sorry if I rambled.

ZZ & Elvis

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, yeah...a great recommendation!

One thing to add though....do, definitely keep the ZZ's soil on the dry side if growing it in cool temperatures....otherwise rot is inevitable.

Thanks for the tip,Nan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.