Eliza Ducklittle 4

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes, she does seem to be quite happy...which makes me happy!

Don't count on it snowing! Even when the weatherman says that there is no way the snow will miss us, we usually do not get any ;o)

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL! They can't predict the weather while it's happening. Dave said there were snow flurries at the airport at about 3am, but he didn't go out to look on break, he said "it was colder than a witches tit!" LOL!

Yes, we had snow flurries today.

Today, after Eliza ate, she ran over and flew into the car! I guess she was cold :o) I got in the car and closed the door. After a few minutes in the warmth, she was ready to return to the water. She knows where home is, if she decides that it is too cold tonight. lol

PERTH, Australia

Kim, I somehow didn't mark the new thread to my watched list and thought it'd been a while since there was an update on Eliza, so I went searching and have just read it through. Wow, isn't she maturing (nearly). It brought happy tears to my eyes as I was reading. What a fabulous story. She is unbelievably gorgeous. So are you! And Jeff.

Crissy, I don't blame you for laying in bed quivering with fear. I'm like that in a thunderstorm - just imagine what I'd be like if there was a tornado warning. I'd be a basket case!

PERTH, Australia

Hey, shazzam, Kim, we just posted simultaneously.

We cross posted.

Awwww Thank you, Mags...I will pay you later for saying what I told you to say about my beauty ;o)) Eliza is slowly moving away from her parents. However, she still comes running/flying/swimming when Mom shows up with lots of worms. lol I am glad that you found her new thread!

LOL We almost did again ;o)

MargaretK I am a basket case in storms. I used to be freaked out in thunderstorms until last spring we had 4 tornado warnings in a 2 hour period with tornadoes coming directly at the house at night and I didn't have a storm shelter yet. My house is not tornado safe at all and since I had never experienced such a thing I was freaked out big time. Dave was trying to sleep (he worked day shift back then) and was mad at me for waking him up and it was just awful. Since then I haven't really been afraid of the thunderstorms. Since I bought the shelter I've had to go in it once, and the old man up the road said my area has never had tornado warnings like that before, until me from California moved here LOL Imagine that!

She says, "It's way too cold out here for me, I'm going in here!"

I feel the same way about earthquakes. Maybe, that is why I have never been to California. LOL

I freak out in an earthquake too, pretty much anything that comes from nature that can't be predicted. Earthquakes make me motion sick.

At least, with a tornado, I can see the cloud coming!

Eliza was happy to see us last night but did not stay very long. We went kind of late and she was eating birdseed that a neighbor had taken to her...spoiled little thing ;o) She did talk to us and sit with us for a minute and then she rejoined her friends.

No kidding, most of the time you can prepare for a tornado, can't see an earthquake!

Eliza was not very happy with the sleet but did not mind it enough to come home! She had some new friends fly in, yesterday. I guess, the sleet encouraged a large flock of snow geese to land on "her" lake. She did not mind. She loves all of her friends. I will go down there this morning and make certain that all is well...but if she looks cold, I am bringing her home ;o))

Ripley, MS

I am sure she will LOOK cold, cause your eyes will be cold looking at her--LOL
Sandra

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

so happy to hear Eliza has a bunch of new friends. Kim you may be a grandma come spring. Praying she stays safe.

LOL Sandra. I have not made it to the lake, yet. Jeff has, however, and says that she is very happy and not cold at all ;o)

You may be right, Donna. We are planning on putting and nesting box at the end of the property close to the creek...just in case she would like to return home to deliver ;o)

Baby duck says Merry Chrithmas...

Thumbnail by duckmother
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hello duckmother, the pic of the baby duck is great and it makes me feel better on this dreary, rainy day. Thanks for posting it. Lee

Love the baby!! I've been saying all along that she's going to be a momma! I'm glad she wasn't too cold and having a great time with her friends. She is very easy to get along with.

I am glad, Lee!

Yeah, she is pretty easy going, Crissy. She may ask you to duck sit when she has her new crew ;o)

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim still enjoying her duck tails oops should be tales. Wishing you ,Jeff and Miss Eliza a very Merry Christmas. Cindy

I'll be more than happy to duck sit!

LOL Cindy. I am so glad that you are enjoying Eliza's escapades. She was toasty warm when I saw her, yesterday. Today, I was in my mom's car and she would not get out of the water. She would call but that is all. I will take her some worms in a few minutes...which will make her very happy ;o)

I am going to tell her that you have already volunteered, crissy.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I wished the pix is a little better, here are some of Eliza's friends aroud my neighborhood. I'm glad to follow along how Eliza has been so sweet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I am so glad, Kim. Eliza seems to have friends all over the place. LOL I can see at least 4 mallards and 2 pekins in the picture.

She is a very popular duck! Word about how sweet she is has spread around the country!

LOL She surely seems to be...

Eliza is slowly moving away from her parents. She was so glad to see Jeff and me, yesterday, but that only lasted until she had eaten. Then she returned to the water and her new family and friends. When we started to leave she gave us a nice "goodbye" call. I am going to try and take a few pictures this afternoon or tomorrow. We really miss her! Thank goodness we can go see her each day...or we would really have empty nest syndrome!

Kim

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Kim, I know it's nature's way with Eliza but it is somewhat sad. You are experiencing empty nest syndrome in the truest sense. Lee

Ripley, MS

The ducks on my way home from church sure looked cold to me out in that wind. I know they are well protected, but they still looked cold to me-LOL
Sandra

PERTH, Australia

Kim, it's turning into the perfect release.

I cannot believe that Eliza did not freeze her tail feathers off, last night! But, she was swimming with all of the others and having a grand ole time, this morning.

Sandra, here is you duck lessen for the day. The reason that ducks feet do not get cold...because their arteries and veins are very close together, so their blood is never cold! Hard to believe that as ducklings, they can freeze in 80 degrees but as adults they can handle very cold air and water. However, they still look cold!

Yes it is, Marg!

Kim

PERTH, Australia

In last weeks DG newsletter, Mrs Ed did an article on why birds don't freeze. I'd recommend it as a really interesting and educational read.

Ripley, MS

Thanks for the lesson Kim, now when I see those black and white ducks on my way to and from church, I will know they are not cold. They still look like they move in a group and I have seen them going up, out of the pond in a single file, they are so cute.
Sandra

Thanks for info, Mags.

You are welcome, Sandra. It is very nice to now that those little sweeties are not freezing. Otherwise, I would have a house full of ducks all winter. lol

Thumbnail by duckmother

Now that would be cute!

I would do it...but I would have to get divorced first! LOL

Thumbnail by duckmother

LOL! Now that wouldn't be good.

Ripley, MS

Kim, it seems we have a new forum for you to post some of your pictures on
http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/
Dave started it on Christmas Day
Sandra

Great! Thanks for info, Sandra.

Eliza is doing so well! She goes all over the lake with all of the other waterfowl. I have tried to see her each day and she still calls and flies to me and then she goes right by me to the food...oh well, I guess I would too ;o) Yesterday, we had freezing rain all day, so when I got off work, I came straight home. We would have taken the 4-wheeler but Jeff did not get home before dark. When the rain stops, I am going to go check on her, even if I have to walk...not like I don't need the exercise, anyway ;o)) I will try to take pictures. I certainly do miss that little girl!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.