Eliza Ducklittle 4

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I always forget to start a new thread. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918125/

This is what I wrote earlier...

I went down to the lake yesterday evening, and Eliza was swimming with 5 other woodies! 3 males and 2 females...sounds like she may have boyfriend! They all answered me when I called (must have been some of my older brood) but they flew away before Eliza finished eating. I wish they would have waited or come over and eaten, too. Anyway, after she ate, she flew to the middle of the water. She was swimming with the other waterfowl and having a fun time. It was almost dark when Jeff arrived. She immediately, put those little legs in gear and swam quickly to him! You would have thought they had not seen each other in years. It was quite the reunion ;o) When he started walking back to the truck, so did she. She was ready for Daddy to take her home...yes, he did. However, since she was swimming with other woodies, we are going to make our feeding time earlier, so she can fly away with them. Most likely, last night was her last night in this house. When she gets up this morning, I am going to take a few pictures, just in case...

Kim

Pictures this morning.

When she first awakened. She mostly wanted worms, not pictures made ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

Come on Mom, I am hungry!

Thumbnail by duckmother

I am going to miss you, too, Daddy.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Feed the girl - THEN she might pose.... ^_^

What a beauty!

Thumbnail by duckmother

After eating and drinking, she decided to roam around a little before flying to the lake...

A duck standing on a duck ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh, we cross posted - and if you going to be posting pics like that, we will all be crying....

Genna

Almost time to go...Need to make certain that there are no cars or hawks!

Thumbnail by duckmother

Not to worry Genna, she is just down the street. We can take more pictures at the lake ;o)

Last one. If you can tell...she has flattened out her wings, which she does seconds before flying. She gave me one last look then took flight. She flew around the house a few times and then to the lake.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

That is just toooooo cool!

Ripley, MS

Does she sleep all night, just like people do???
Sandra

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim those are awesome pictures! I don't think she'll ever permanently leave. I know I keep saying that!

It is kinda hard not to cry, Genna. ;o)

Thanks, Debra. Are you going to MG Christmas Dinner? I am not going this year. Even though, it is only at the end of my street. lol

Sandra, she sleeps in a box right next to our bed. She usually sleeps for a short time and then wakes up. Most ducks do not move after dark...unless something scares them. So, she will stay put until it is after daylight. However, if I want to sleep late, she will have no part of it and start calling. It was different when she was a duckling. Sometimes, she would cry during the night. She may have been cold, could not see or feel me, etc.

Thanks, Cris. I don't think she will go away too far but she will start flying with her "new" family , soon. That is why we will start feeding earlier, so that she can fly with them at sunset.

Eliza and friends left this card for all of her DG Aunts and Uncles...to wish all of you a Merry Christmas.

Thumbnail by duckmother

Do male wood ducks take part in raising their young?

I hit Send before I wanted too ggrrrrrr

Thank you for the card Eliza!! I love it!! Way cute!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2008 3:06 PM

No, they don't, Crissy. After mating, they lose their flight feathers (along with other feathers) which is called molting or eclipse. During this time, they hang out with other males. They look a lot like females during molting. They actually, molt twice a year but only once to this degree.

The male is in the front. He has red eyes and red on his bill. Yet, he does not have his lovely colors. He will shortly. ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I've learned so much about ducks from you! No, not going to the MG Christmas dinner. Too much on the calendar this time of year. I'm supposed to be at a dress up cocktail party/dinner right now but begged off. David went to the cocktail party portion and will stay for the group photo (it's a Bar Assoc Board of Governors thing) but he's not staying for the dinner. It's a long way to drive from Ferndale to the Arts Center downtown (plus I'd have to get cleaned up and wear make-up!) and I'm tired of having to drive back in seperate vehicles. Would have been fun to see the Andy Warhol collection while there but ....... just can't do it.

I am always happy to teach about ducks! Especially, if someone really listens and remembers what I say ;o) I kind of wanted to see the Warhol collection, too. I saw Picasso's and really enjoyed it.

Eliza was no where to be found last night. I figure she left with the other woodies...not to worry they did not go very far. Jeff went down to check on her this morning but I have not heard from him, so, he is probably still looking for her. If he does not see her, we will still go down there this afternoon with worms and food. Maybe, she will fly in for a meal ;o)

She definitely needs friends, that's for sure. I'm learning a lot about ducks too, its exciting!

I went down to the lake and Eliza joined me for dinner. I sat with her for 45 minutes or so. She would swim around and then return for a little more food, worms and acorns. Each time she would go further out and slower to return. Then when she was almost to the middle of the lake, she began to call. Figuring that she was calling me, I returned the call. She was not calling me, she was calling her friends. Three woodies (1 female and 2males) landed fairly close to her. They did all talk to me but none returned to shore. They slowly swam their way to the big fallen oak tree, on the other side of the lake...where all of the waterfowl sleep. They are very safe there! Several tears fell but I was smiling at the same time! I will miss her deeply but I am so very proud of her!

I will try to take pictures tomorrow.

Ripley, MS

Congratulations Kim, you have done a great job with Eliza. I can almost hear the call of the little grandducks.
Sandra

Thanks, Sandra.

We went to the lake this afternoon and we saw three males just flirting with Eliza and she would have no part of them! That's right little girl, make them prove how worthy they are ;o)
We took a few pictures.

When she first go out of the water. Note the worms on the ground. Still spoiling her. lol

Thumbnail by duckmother

Daddy warm me...and he does as she says ;o) Or she is saying, can you see me? LOL

Thumbnail by duckmother

She decided to sit with Mom but watch Dad.

Thumbnail by duckmother

Yeah, I kinda like Mom, too...

Thumbnail by duckmother

They call me Ms. Eliza! LOL A neighbor came by to tell me that is what everyone is calling her because she is the social butterfly of the lake. I said "you mean she is the social butterduck." :o))

Thumbnail by duckmother

Almost time to go...

Thumbnail by duckmother

I just want to hug her, she is so sweet! And smart!!

Me too, crissy!

I decided to pass by the lake on my way to work. I did not see Eliza but she must have seen me. She started calling and swimming beside the car. Yes, I had to stop. I called Jeff and asked him to bring some worms. While waiting for him, I peeled (if that is the correct word) some acorns for her. She was very happy when he arrived. We stayed with her for quite a while. Good thing my first patient was not due for 2 hours!

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Kim that was so heart warming, I know you were proud of Eliza and will miss her.

Ruth

I just don't see her permanently leaving. When she has children she won't be able to fly home like she does, but she'll be there for when you visit her. It wouldn't surprise me if she lets you hold her babies. She just seems to outhink her natural instincts, you know what I mean?

You are so right, Ruth!

I don't know crissy, we will have to wait and see. However, I would be more than happy to hold and/or duck sit my baby grandducks!

That would be so cute! I'd come and visit you while you ducksat!

LOL Please join me!

LOL Ok! I'm watching the storms on accuweather.com, there are 3 different areas of tornado warnings, 2 in Louisiana just south and east of Shreveport what looks like near Jeri, and MaryD and Lisa, and I know there are others who we know down there, in that area. Another in Mississippi heading right towards Sandra, Terrye, and everyone else over that direction. Be Safe Ya'll!

What looks like to be headed that way in Mississippi anyway. I don't exactly know where on the map Terrye's and Sandra's places are at.

Ripley, MS

Terrye is close to Booneville and I am close to Ripley. That would be Prentiss County for Terrye and Tippah county for me.
So far the warnings are still south of us, but could be coming our way later this afternoon.
Crissy, thanks for the heads up.
Sandra

I am deathly afraid of tornadoes. NOAA put out a tornado watch at 4:00am this morning for my area and south, mainly for the ArkLaTek which I am not in, I was literally laying in bed shaking and there was nothing even going on yet. I'm not near that bad when Dave's home but I freak out when I'm by myself and it's night. Thank you for your counties, now I won't be wondering.

Crissy, I wish you lived closer. I have lived here all of my life and I know allllll about tornadoes. I even took a class on weather, in college.

Today, upon arriving at the lake, I did not see Eliza. I called several times and I heard one little call way down the lake. Then nothing. I finally decided it was not a wood duck that I heard. A few minutes passed and then I saw 5 woodies coming in for a landing. There were 3 males and 2 females and one was Eliza! It is the first time that we have seen her fly with other woodies. I am so proud of her. She came over, ate and told me about her day. Fog was moving in and got thicker the longer we sat there. Eventually, we heard the other woodies take flight. Eliza was quite nervous. She has not ever flown in fog before. I stood up and started walking her to the water. All of sudden she stopped and walked over behind me. Which made me very nervous! I asked her if she would like to spend the night with her folks ;o) We discussed this option for a minute or two. Then she walked around me and flew into the fog...calling the entire time. (She probably flew straight to the other ducks but I could not see her) After I returned home, it dawned on me why she got behind me. She wanted me to lead the way! She was waiting for Momma to take off first. Oh my, makes me want to cry. What a smart little girl...oops, I cannot call her little anymore, she is fully grown! Nah, she will always be my little girl!

Oh Kim that is too cute, momma you lead me in flight. I bet she does wonder why you and Jeff don't fly with her. I never thought about that lol! I'm glad she has friends now, seems to be pretty close with that small flock.

I hope it snows tomorrow, I love seeing snow and I don't have to get up early because of a dentist appt I have at 10, before work lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.