Tilly's Little Acre

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Holly, you did a real good job on yours, hope I can do the same.^_^

This is entering my driveway from the road. The dark shadows from the trees, makes it look like you are in a vortex in a way. Welcome to my home. more to come.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Very welcoming! Nice start for your thread/tour.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Sorry I'm late on posting, and sorry I did not ask the whole group on how to do the tours, so be it. I just wanted it so it does not get to be to so many things going on at the same time. We already have that, and get lost on what tread said what and, where do I post this, which tread wanted to know this. We all have that problem. LOL
Was just trying to make things simple. And last the winter. Maybe I was wrong.

So sorry

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Where I left off.
Coming further down the drive, and off to the right is the begining of woodland. This area is all natrual has never been touch YET.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

As you go futher down the drive, you may incounter this, big black dog , will bark at you then lick you to death.LOL
In this pic, is my pampas grass, which was a little clump, we dug out of a yard my DH was working at. We planted it at the top of the driveway. after 2 years it was not doing well, so we moved it down into the yard. And has grown 3 times it size in 2 years.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is further to the right, coming down the drive.
In this pic, is a large cedar, that is housing a Wisteria that is 40' or more in height, on the right of the tree, just above Miss Sassy you can see the base. The other big tree, to the far right is a Weeping deodora ceder, I planted from 1 gal pot, in 1992.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

And of course I can not do a pic without a fur babie in it, they are my guardians LOL
This is my humble home. We where going to replace the deck this year, to where it will go to the end of the house. that will not happen this year, maybe next.
In the in the corner of the house and deck, past Tyler to the left. Is Buddy's memorial garden.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is looking at the other side of the Pampas grass, at the bottom of the drive looking up to the road. And the wisteria with its cool trunk. to the far left is my woodland project.
Too Be Continued.......

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Alright Tilly! I think the cedar tree entry arch is very dramatic. You are weaving your gardens into the woodland so its all connected. I really like that. One thing my property does not have that I would have liked was a wild, wooded area with ferns and native trees. I love what you have done with your woodland, making it into a cool, shady retreat to enjoy. Buddy's memorial garden is great right there by the porch where you can feel his spirit as you come and go. Your critters are clearly all so comfortable and at home at your place.
I also love the trellis on the porch. Brings the garden up close and personal.
I'm curious about the artwork on the posts by the wall. Do you have a close up picture?
Great start on your tour! I'm looking forward to seeing it as it unfolds.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2008 8:20 AM

Awesome, Tills! You have such beautiful natural planting areas already, plus plenty of full sun. I am loving that wild wisteria! I've never seen such a vine as that! Does it actually bloom in the cedar tree? Also, I like how you have to go through the shade of the trees and then it completely opens up to your property. Very nice!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Mary, you have done and ARE doing fabulous things with your gardens!!! A gorgeous setting, and with your creativity (not to mention energy!) it is becoming quite the showplace. This is so much fun to see - can't wait to see more.

(Edited to correct a typo - I used to be a secretary . . . makes me crazy when I see I've made one!)

This message was edited Nov 25, 2008 12:46 PM

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Oh, Tills - I'M ON A VISIT!!! Brillant idea this - I love the entrance, as Pix says I think the conifer tunnel with the full sun behind is just enticing - wonderful place. And I like the homestead quality, it really has that beautiful feel of 'carving' a living space out of the woodland - it is such an American pioneering image for me - taking enough space to work and mark as your own while preserving the natural state of the land. Very well done. Show more please.

North Lakewood, WA(Zone 8b)

Tils I love your woodlands. That wisteria is amazing. The little arbor on the deck is great. Wish I had all the beautiful woodlands that you have. I'm on an old farm so no woods, and I want them.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

The entrance used to be more dramatic, where the brown pot (is as you come down the drive) is setting on a large stump of a ceder, when the tree was there it was like going thru a tunnel. We had to take it out, to get the new mobile in. was sad to lose it.
The Wistera does bloom, looks like a purple waterfall. all the pics I tried to take of it never came out good, this is what it looks now up in the tree, with the new camera I can get a better shot. Next year will try the blooms again. Looks like a tree with a bad hair day. LOL
Glad you are enjoying it so far.
The junk is yet to come LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is a close up of Buddy's place. The Artwork on the wall, you are going to be amazed as to what it is, It is the back of a park bench. My DH brought it home and posted it there.
I love my woods but then I hate it sometimes. Power for the course, the good, bad and the ugly LOL
And as you will notice that most of my pics have a fur babie or two in them, can't go anywhere with out a shadow or two.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

As we move on around the wisteria, you are entering the outskirts of the new (soon to come) Gipsy camp. We'll get into that a little later.
In the bed behind the pilings, which DH brought home from the mill before it closed down. Is my Austrailian mint bush, daylillies from Annie, And 2 candy stripe roses, which I need to move. That is just in the front.The back come later.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Opps!!!!
Got ahead of myself, this was the next one.
This is around the Pampas grass, and a better view of the crazy wisteria. to the far left is where I planted one of the Dog wood I got from Katey59 and a Buddia from My friend Mom. Which I painfully dug from her yard ( was not easy)
And in the foreground is my lily bed with the very old ivy fence.
Behind the big cedar is the driveway and you can see the road.
Then we go to the pic above.

One more and half to give it a rest on Holiday hours, and working later at night. No life till after Xmas. Wo is me LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Now you have entered the gypsy camp, or should I say will be. I wanted to have a painting party to paint this little trailer but weather and time did not want to be on the same page as the rest of us, so I cancelled it, and will resume it next year ( maybe the gods will like me LOL) The trailer is to be painted like a old gypsy wagon, and deck out as one. I have bought wagon wheels and few other items to make it look like one. Stay tune for the party....coming up next spring, I hope LOL
Its on the outskirts of woodland park, which has been named by my 7yr old niece. And it sure looks like it now, all the furniture is wrap in that brown tharp. Funny, that looks like a camp site gone bad LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is what it look like before everything got put away. At least part of it.
To be Continued.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2008 2:23 AM

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Tilly, That Wisteria must be truly magnificent when in bloom. Please do post pictures of that when you take some with your new camera. I love the wagon wheel garden furniture. That fits so well with your theme for the area.

So sorry you have such a miserable and inhumane work schedule for the next month. You have my sympathy. I bet it gets crazily busy in the store this time of year.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I think crazy is not the word for it at this time of year, more absolutely kaotic and people are mean to us and each other. How I ever got into retail I'll never know, but the funny thing is I do like it, and hate at the same time. LOL

Where was I ,
I am making a circle around the outskirts of the property, so you can kinda get a focal of it.
As we move passed the gypsy camp, you are looking at woodland park in the background. In the front on the right is my Yucca and a Ponderosa pine I grew from a twig and behind it is a old stump covered in ivy, My DH calls it the buffalo bush, don't know why. Then there is the white trellis with the Kiwi, that is falling apart. Gordon is suppose to come a get the Kiwi, and the trellis will be turn into something else or repaired if possable. And of course the first piece of junk. My DH swears It will run again, Where did I hear that one Holly LOL That truck has been there for 8 years. This is still along the road, you can see it passed the trees.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is the trail into woodland park. I did not take any pic beyond that, I have shown so many and now it looks kinda blah. almost everything has gone to sleep.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't know how this shot will work on DG, done it before and it has.
This is a closer one of the trellis, and now the line up junk. Had to post it because each one does have a story, but not going to get into it. what I would like you to see is. that gorgeous tree behind the red truck, my Noble fir, I got that at the same time I got the Ponderosa and 2 Red Hemlocks, you will see later.
Behind that line up , pass the Noble is a down ward hill to the creek.
Ester will be in next to show you.
Oh Holly that not half of the junk LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I am standing right behind the brown truck in the pic above, on the top of the hill.

Done for the night or day. Stay tuned more to come.

Happy Thanksgiving: to all of you, Enjoy
Love Ya All

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey Tilly, Happy Thanksgiving! I only was drawn to visit online today because of your tour. Then its off to enjoy my family and move tables and chairs around so we all have a place to sit. Being well trained in looking past the junk, over the jink, around the junk......I see that beautiful Noble fir, It has gorgeous form, I love Ponderosa pine. They have such graceful needles and their bark is amazing. Wish I had one, too, but happy to be able to admire yours. Love your doggy and kitty companions and garden guides!

Love it! So, your dh is a 'car collector', lol! So many really nice areas for planting! And it already looks nice just letting nature take its course. The gypsy area is going to be very cool. The furniture is just the ticket.
Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Thanksgiving greetings to all of you - may your meal be enjoyed in the thought of peace and community, as it was in its origin.

Cheers.

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful holiday. I was hoping to stop in to visit the tour, it's very beautiful and will involve more than a cursory view. Some wonderful areas and great ideas you are sharing. I will come back as I have more time to spend admiring your landscape. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for you thoughts, Laurie. Happy Thanksgiving, Ladybugg. We maintained an attitude of peace and community at our family gathering - we refused to talk about politics!! LOL!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Hope you all enjoyed today.
My poor DH tried so hard to get me a turkey dinner, but alas he failed. Does a chicken burrito count? Don't get me wrong, to me its just another day and food is food. Its the family I miss the most working this weird hours. Thank goodness I have you All to talk to or I would go nuts. You are my family. I talk to you more than I do my own. I never see them.

Just a note: To say, I talk to Carla the other day. Its hard with my hours and hers, to connect. She caught me as I was getting ready for leave for work. I had called her the night before.
She says Hi to all and misses you. The surgery has not gone well as predicted, she is not coming back out of as well as they thought she would. Setting is impossible for her at this time, and so that makes it hard to use the puter. Laying down or walking is all thats comfy. And you know its very hard to use a puter that way. I so hopes she sells the house and gets to go to Arizona, the weather here is not doing her any good.

Back to the mess. LOL
The junk cars are all not my DHs, there are my son's, and my brother's and mine ( that I have killed) LOL 2 in one year.
In the line up, White one is DH's, Red one has been sold and its mate (other side of yard 'Runs' but has other problems) He was suppose to take them last month, but has issues. brown one Is my bros. runs has starter problems. Little blue car Sons, going to junk yard but has no wheels. Sorry I had to explain, all Pix's fault LOL
Also in that pic is my DH's little trailer and thats his storage for his tools that he uses on the wood pile we get from the contractor that sell scrap wood and he puts special pieces to store for other uses or later projects. He built a frame around the front of it for me to plant in. Another one to paint LOL
And yes there are going. where the Red truck is setting is where I what to put my gazebo thats in the back yard. This is just the frame.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2008 12:29 AM

This message was edited Nov 28, 2008 1:01 AM

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Great gazebo! Just right for some lovely vines. What are you planning to plant to grow on it??

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Not so sure if I want to do that. as I have the canvas covers and the screens for it. Its realy nice for summer barbis, put the food on tables and zip it up, no bugs on food.

Tills I love the gazebo - and I love its placement - I don't think we have seen that view before. Have you thought of having a one waterproof roof for it? preferably glass, but possibly plastic panels - I'm just thinking it would be a wonderful place to sit in the summer rain with a bit of protection. Fab.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Picking up where Ester was in the creek.
This is no mans land, Part of the wetland thats in the north side of the property. if you don't know where to walk trust me don't go out there. I have lost a boot or two taking the wrong step. you can go down to your knees in the soft silt. The only time you can walk all parts of it is in a realy dry summer. I use to trim it,and mow it when I didn't have to work. Have some old pics. will scan and show later.The creek is in the center.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, Laurie.... I never thought about that, that would be to cool. Even better than the top I have for it. I wonder if my wonder man can come up with a idea to do it, but the trucks have got to go, they are hampering me (in the way) LOL and the other side of the yard more junk I'll get to that, this is one side. I think there is alot out here no one has seen maybe little pieces but not the whole. I love will never leave it.

This is a further shot of no mans land, and behind my DHs trailer and the wood pile, this is where he burns unuseable wood that will not work in the wood stove.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

LOVE the chairs with the big wheels. I've never seen those before. Also really love the idea to paint the trailer like a gypsy wagon. I see those all the time in my English magazines and always admire them. I think it'll be perfect in your yard, from what I can tell from your photos.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Gwen, got them at Big Lots of course, I fell in love with them, First time I have seen them here. HAD TO HAVE< NOW PLEASE.....
This is my first year doing anything with part of the yard, was all fenced for my horse. after I sold him, I built the back gardens first.

Now for a turn around. you have seen the outside of the front yard. now a view of the inside.
This is taken from the front of the red truck, looking back the way we started.
My humble home, the big bush you see is my Camilia had two horse ate one. The front of DHes work trailer. And the back side of the white trellis and the frist part of the tour looking back.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

A few spots to hit on the way back, so we can go to the left of the drive.
You have only ventured to the right.
This will be the next step of woodland park. On the right is the start of it. On the left is where I want to make a picnic area, not sure as to the detail as yet, but want to find some type of bushes that like shade to hide the road. This area is bigger than the pic shows.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

closer shot of the pilings.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

A another, but more of the road side. and a different angle, where the Dogwood and Buddiea are.
Oh, and of course miss Sassy LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.