NE FLA Gardening Brigade part 3

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome everyone,

Our other thread was getting a bit too long, thought it was time for a change. All our welcome, so relax, sit back and enjoy.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/920089/

This message was edited Nov 15, 2008 5:52 PM

Thumbnail by youngershirl
Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi everybody,

I thought I would explain the picture. It was taken this past Thursday at the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. The picture does not do the colors in the landscape justice. We were fortunate there was still a lot of color to see. What a great trip, but unfortunately came back with one horrific head cold. I hope everyone is doing well, I tried to read some the back posts, but not really into it. When you can't breathe you don't feel like doing anything. LOL

Looks like we are in for some really cold weather. I hope my new plants make it through. I have asked my hubby to cover them for me, but he is not much of a plant person, so we will see. : (

Stay warm and don't get sick.

Shirley

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I hope you feel better soon, Shirley! You're right - those head colds can take away the interest in everything and the motivation to do anything.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

HI allI haven't been on in awhile. My "free" time has been limited. I just popped in a bit and noticed that Jax has a garden open (see the main fl gardening postings for Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens Grand Opening ). I think it would be a perfect tour for us to get together again.

Jacksonville, FL

Jeremy did you say you can get sign ups for the extension newsletter? My email address has changed. I keep meaning to stop by or send them a message to change it. Do you know if I can just call or email the new email address? Thanks

NFLg - contact Becky Davidson at the Extension Office to get back on the newsletter E-mail list. Her E-mail is beckyd@coj.net She is very efficient about keeping track of details and should be able to get you set up to receive the newsletter again.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

thanks, i will contact her

Jacksonville, FL

Update:
I know that Tat2pixie hasn't made a post yet, so you don't offically know her, but she called me this AM from the OP medical center and they admitted her. Her gall bladder is all wonky nad they are running tests but we are preparing for surgery in the next 48 hours. I am scrabling to cover all my bases this AM so I may not be online again for a while.
Hope everyone makes it through this cold snap with there plants intact.

Lancaster, OH(Zone 6a)

HI everyone

Sorry I have been MIA but things have been busy around hear. Max is working like crazy and i have been working out back in th egardens potting plants and crafting my heart out making things I may be able to sell or give as Christmas gifts this year.

Shirley I hope you get to feeling better soon.. The picture is wonderful love the foilage colors..

Well need to go get the kids from a friends house.. They stayed the night.. Will try to pop back in later.
Donna

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

News on Yolie..... I spoke to her this AM.....

In case anyone was wondering why Yolie hadn't been on-line recently, it's because she is in the Hospital. She wasn't feeling well and had DH take her to the clinic. The Dr she saw, called an ambulance to take her to Baptist Hospital. In the past 3 weeks she has had 3 heart surgeries. She sounds good but admits she is tired and there isn't much she can do for herself. She hopes to be going home in a few days.

DH has brought plants to the hospital to keep her company.

If anyone would like more specifics, please D-mail me.

I also got a call from Yolie from her hospital room yesterday. She sounded much like her usual energetic and vivacious self, but certainly has been through a harrowing experience. If anyone is able to drop by Baptist Hospital Room 4118, I'm sure she would enjoy some brief visits.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

WOW!! I went to accuweather.com to check the weather this week. Tomarrow night we expecting 27 degrees that will break the record of 29 degrees set in 1951.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/jacksonville/32244/forecast-details.asp?partner=netweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&metric=0&fday=2

Holly $%@ !! That's cold. I guess I'll need to cover everything but the trees!!
I hope the newly planted camellia will be ok. I am really concerned about the brugs now!!
I guess I will got buy some bubble wrap and wrap them up or some more sheets from the thrift store ( that will probably be cheaper). I will also get some more heat lamps from work and heat bulbs. Yikes!!!

Take care all. Protect your babies!!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 10:34 PM

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

The prediction for last night over in Gainesville was 28 and it's 47 there right now.

They are trying for 25 tonight and 27 tomorrow night. I better keep the kerosene stocked up.

Molly

Looks like it will be colder there than here. BURRRRR!!!!

It always is Sandy, you have the ocean to warm you. We are over 40 miles from the Gulf.

Hows your sweet doggie? You haven't mentioned her lately.

Molly

I'm not looking forward to today's tasks of getting ready for the freezing temperatures. There is not really an overwhelming amount of work involved, but yesterday I stepped on about a 3 inch nail in a 2 x 4 I stupidly left lying around. I have such a degree of numbness from neuropathy in my feet that I barely felt the nail go in through my crocs. But today my right foot just behind the toes is so sore I can barely walk on it. I have some minor cold symptoms and the UTI seems to have partially returned. I think it's time for someone to show some compassion and take me out in the field and shoot me in the head., LOL At least I'm up early so I can get a start on the work as soon as it warms up outside a little more.

Jeremy

Jeremy I wish I could help. So sorry you hurt your foot-I have done that.

Sandy

Jacksonville, FL

Jeremy..please take care of yourself. We need you around...who else is going to answer all my inane questions? lol
I would volunteer to help ( covering up plants, not putting you out of your misery) but I have my own and 2 of my friend house to worry about tonight also. My best friend ( Tat2pixie) is still in the hosp after her surgery yesterday so I have to take care of all her plants and my other good friend whom I am pet sitting for ( he's in NY which ironically is warmer than here) has plants to cover as well. I have got my work cut out for me tonight!! We are also going to check out a car that's for sell tonight because our other working car threw a rod last week.

Oh I also worked this AM, went to the dentist to have my teeth drilled on ( yay, but 8 years w/out dental insurance will cause problems), the thrift store to buy more sheets for tonight's freeze( btw- why are thrift store sheets so expensive?) and I also manged to go to my friends house twice already to take care of his 8 dogs..yes 8 dogs, 4 cats and 3 turtles ( he's as bad as me).
I have 6 cats , + 2 rescue kittens, 3 dogs and 4 birds.
Yes and the three 2 legged children as well.

Busy, busy, busy. Take care all!!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008 3:54 PM

We have our own little microclimate due to the monolith next door on the north side of us. It absorbs heat during the day and usually even if the area freezes our yard doesn't. I went outside right after dark and got a shock, it was 35! By the time I got the more important containers in the house it was 32. Now it's 30. The forecast is 31 by daylight for our area, well they are wrong. I remember it being 11 one January maybe 28 or 29 years ago, seems like we are headed that way again this winter.

Thumbnail by

Doegirl, that's pretty good having that kind of protection on the north where the cold air comes down from and the winter warming in the south when the sun is up all day. You have a protective situation there.

It's 19 over my way this morning and if you missed it, it was 12 yesterday morning.

Stay warm!

Molly

Oh Molly, I'm thought we were due east of you so looked on google. We're actually some north of east from Archer.

Yes since the shopping center was built we vary rarely go below freezing for more that a couple of hours usually in the wee hours of morning. When I saw 35 just after dark and new it was decreasing it was a shock. Well I got most of the containers into the kitchen before bed. The temp was 28 by that time. They became heaver with each one, didn't think of the hand truck. Talk about not being prepared. I covered everything else that would be damaged with blankets. If the winter is starting out this way I really need to get some hoop covers out there.

This morning I found some others who got a warmer night as seen in the picture. They have been returned to their perch in the yard and never moved from the top of the hanger.

Thumbnail by

Someone was talking about how expensive sheets are (for covering plants). Try the Thrift/Goodwill stores. You can get then for just a couple dollars there. Blankets also.

Jacksonville, FL

I was me! I got mine at the thrift store and I got the most faded sheets they had ( becasue really do I care what they look like as long as there are no holes) and it was $7 a piece for some of them!! ANd this was not a nice thrift store like Goodwill, it was a local, run down kind of place.

They are expensive on alot of things. I guess that is to compensate them for the 50% off days they run once a week on certain color taged items. The cashier was nice though and gave me 50% off all of the ones I bought, even though there tags were not the chose discount ones.

Jeremy how is you foot doing? Are you ok?

Jacksonville, FL

Sandy,
Sidney just emailed me. Jermey is in the hospital, seems that nail did more damage than previously thought. Chris is supposed to keep all of updated.

sending him some good mojo!!!!

No wonder we haven't heard from him. Hope he is soon back up & about.

Also, it seems Yolie is out of the hospital. I'm trying to get her on her cell phone.

I found Yolie resting at home. She has to have someone with her at all times. Shes not too steady on her feet and she may have side effects from the drugs. But she sounded great!!!!!

thanks for finding out about Jermey. I was gitting worried. It was not like him at all.

Hope he gets better soon.

Molly did you see me wave as I fly by below you and when I fly by above you. Mom and I went to Steinhatchee for lunch. Had not been in so long we went the wrong way. Going thanks to Google maps we ended up in Chiefland and that was only becouse I realized that nothing looked right other wise we would have ended up Dunnellon

Sandy

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

So sorry to hear about Jeremy's encounter with that nasty nail. Hope they are giving him some good antibiotics.

Elaine

Sandy, Sorry we missed you. We were over in Bronson today getting kerosene for the heater.

Maybe next time?

Molly

If I can find my way. I missed Archer completely. It was a spur of the moment trip. We had not been on a good ramble in years. 350 miles. Stopped at a nice fruit stand and a the winery. Had a great lunch at Roy's in Steinhatchee with the really good seafood and great grits. Get caught in the afternoon traffic in Gainesville, OUCH!!!!! Was late getting back and poor Andre has to stay over night at the kennel.

Sandy

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning everyone,

Still in Virginia, and the outside temp this am is 19 degrees. We had a little snow earlier in the week, what a nice surprise for this Fla girl.

I haven't had much time to write, but I do try to keep up with the threads. I am so sorry to hear about Jeremy and Yolie. Quilter was nice enough to send Yolie's phone number so I will call her today. Poor Jeremy, it seems like he gets over one thing and then something else happens. Get well Jeremy, we miss you. I hope everyone else is doing okay. LadyB you are still in my thoughts and prayers as is MistressGardner. When I get home, we will have to plan a get together for the holidays. I have been missing my gardening buddies. I hope everyone else is hanging in there, and staying warm.

Congrats Kat for the win! You are so creative. That is one of the things that I like about this site, so much talent.

I hope everyone is having a great day. Take care of yourselves and remember the sun comes up in the morning.

Shirl

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Where is everybody? No chit chat, that is unusual for this group. LOL

Jeremy and Yolie you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Shirley

Cold, hurt, Been out picking up trash, darn dog
Sandy

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

I am back in town. Had a wonderful trip, even saw snow. The weather was very cold, but beautiful. Still, after experiencing that kind of cold for so many days, I have decided it is not so bad being a Florida girl. LOL It is great to be home, and back to my old routine. Moved all my plants into the screened pool area yesterday. Hopefully it will help keep them a bit warmer with the help of a sheet of two.

I hope all those who have had ailments are mending nicely. Too much work to do to be under the weather.

Not much chit-chat on this forum, I guess everyone is busy with Thanksgiving prep.

I do hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Happy gardening,

Shirley

Good morning shirley
Sandy

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Morning Wren,

Hope your shoulder is feeling better. Where is everybody? Lonely out here in cyberspace. LOL

Hope you have a great day, I am off to a Memorial Service for a friend of mine.

Shirley

Fort White, FL

Jeremy: So sorry to learn about your nail experience. I stepped on a nail at Cedar Key a few years back. We had to drive back to Gainesville for me to get a tetanus shot. Yours must have gotten real bad to land you in the hospital. Walking will be a challenge for a while. My hip went out again on Monday (9th time) so I spent the night in the hospital also. Home again now...and walking VERY carefully.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
HattieD

Jacksonville, FL

HAPPY TURKEY DAY ALL!!!!

Jacksonville, FL

Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving and hoping that Jeremy is able to be home for Thanksgiving with family and friends and that he is improving

Linda

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.