Winter Landscapes in Your Garden. Please Share!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Daphne Cneorum is full of buds opening again. These are very fragrant.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Camellias are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Double Knockout roses are still blooming away!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone for your NO-SNOW pictures. I am really enjoying them! Storm, you have a lot of blooming going on there. My Iberis Candytuft is all white too. LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Holly, I love that arbor pic, looks like some crazy hair.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This was taken in January of this year. We had such a pretty snow!
This is my Birch tree that died on my this year and has since been cut down. It was very old!

This is looking from the shed towards the street along the East side of my house.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is my neighbor's back yard. I took the picture from my bedroom window--it is kind of like a second story height.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have shoveled a narrow walkway to the back of my house.
The shrub on the left is my Wintersweet Shrub. It will bloom in about 2 months--usually beginning of March.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's the front of my house with my reliable Outback in the driveway.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Last one-----
From my front door--looking to the right down the street.
I LOVE to see snow like this! it is like Mother nature sprinkled confectioners sugar on everything......

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can't look at the snow pictures yet but I did add 2 female and 1 male winterberry, Ilex verticillata to the front garden. So maybe next year they'll add their red berries to the red rose hips and twigs of the Rosa virginiana cutting I added last year.

I have 3 native honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens that have lovely seed pods in the same area but the birds are currently eating them so I don't think I'll see many red pods on them left this winter.

I'm leaving all the switch and little bluestem grasses in place so their seeds can be eaten and any other plants that the birds eat the seeds from.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

This is about as wintery a photo I can get now.
The bare trees are reflected in the front door window with the cardinal wreath.

Oh I spoke too soon. It's snowing now!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008 7:01 AM

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful and interesting shot thru the glass. I usually leave a lot of plants for the birds, too.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sempervirens, New Jersey gets such interesting weather variances for it being such a narrow state. Northwest Jersey gets Pocono Mountain type of weather with loads of snow, while the beaches and surrounding communities get mild maritime weather. I think the widest part of the state from border to coast is less than a 2 hour drive.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Enjoying ya'll pics...sadly mine looks like semi dead swap land currently...very gross and UNpicture worthy. Was going to attempt to start filling the feeding that was covered in plant life last month (LOL) and maybe get Miss Chloe to help make some of those pine cone bird seed thingies....that oughta be nice and messy...my favorite types of projects... ^_^ much to her mother's dismay, I'm sure...esp. after the episode with the LARGE chocolate ice cream cone

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, JR was here last week, he and Ric were making suet cakes. They had such a great time. Never too young to develop a love for nature. He really loves watching the wildlife around here. Although he hates hawks. Poor thing, they had been letting their chickens free range and a Hawk got two of them, before they realized what it was. He was very upset as the chickens are pets to him several of them are pretty tame, and of course one of the very friendly ones was lost.

First snow of the season, just a dusting but I think we are to get more. Hows this for a little winter interest?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly that is a great picture, earmark that for next years photo contest.

Now just picture that entirely snow covered where all the drift wood and rocks are covered, that is what I'd be looking at if I took that same picture up here.

A fun thing to do while watching wildlife with the young ones is what would they be saying if they talked people talk. Kept me entertained for hours.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Holly, Love that pic

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, that is a lovely photo. That's about the same amount of white stuff we got. Now I'm trying to plant bulbs and rake leaves in it!!

Everybody should start a folder of photos for next years contest. Holly, I really think you should put the photo of your snow covered arbor in it.

Lady, I love that game idea! Can't wait to try it out with my nephews and neices at Thanksgiving.

Jen, did you get any snow?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just some flurries nothing sticking, to the dismay of my 6 yr old.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jen and Lady
Lady, LOL maybe that is why I like the snow so much, those cover the rocks kind of storms aren't as frequent down here as they are up there.
My computer sits right near the windows and that is part of the view I get when sitting at the computer. Of course with a camera I can crop out the other things in my view that aren't as picturesque LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormyla, I'm going to work on a new arbor picture. With the new lamppost bed behind it. The trellises on the new bed will stay in place all winter and I am hoping for some good shots. The arbor was the first place I looked this morning but just not enough snow to get the shot I wanted.
My Blue Atlas is still pretty small but it is looking good.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The sun came out for a short while and already some of the snow is gone.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 11:31 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Took this about 15 minutes ago out my front door. SO pretty! Big, fat flakes....

Now--it is all gone. I know we will get more! Maybe i should shut my mouth. Might get what I wish for. Got my snow shovels already by the front door.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I never understand watching the news when it snows and they are showing people running to HD to buy shovels, what did they do with the ones from last year???

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL just carried my tree pruner down to the barn yesterday and brought back one of the snow shovels.
Gita enjoy it while you can most of my snow is gone already. Although with these skies I'm expecting more.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 12:15 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

jen, sometimes I think there are people that throw everything away that they haven't used in a month, or won't use in two months...For me, I go for 'decades'

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--teee--heee---me too! I hate waste! This includes everything.....even food in my freezer...which is always full to the hilt.
I swear--I could live for a year and never go hungry if I decided to cook everything that is in it.
I am NOT talking about the freezer on top of my fridge--I am talking about my 19 cf Maytag freezer downstairs. It is almost "unmentionable".

We had our Th-Giving Feast at the HD yesterday. All food, but the turkeys and hams, were contributed by people that work there. Talk about excess!!!!

Of course--I could not let some of the turkey carcasses go to waste--so I brought 2 of them home and have been cooking turkey soup all morning. Turned out OK! Now--all I have to do is find room in that that freezer downstairs for more containers of soup!!!
Lost cause--that's what i am!

Next week, it all starts over again......sigh.......................

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, sounds like a nice celebration.

Fire in the woods behind the house???????

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nope!!!! Just one beautiful sunset viewed last night while hot tubing with Ric and a glass of wine...... (Snicker....Snicker)

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 9:19 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

pretty!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, that's the life! Makes it all worth it after a hard day's work.

Holly! At first you scared me, with the fires out west and all. Glad it was a sunset. I like the 2nd picture better.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I came across these photos in the Tree & shrub forum last night. Look at the photos posted by Resin.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/933070/

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This picture was taken several years ago. It was so lovely, I had to include it, here. It is raining & icy out so not a good picture-taking day. Happy holidays to each & every one of you & your families from me & my family. Buttoneer

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's another wintry picture. I make these out of buttons.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Doves feeding. Taken a couple years ago.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

It was snowing while this one was taken.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I am retiring from my job 12/31/08 and I plan to REST first, put up a website for my buttons, spend more time in the greenhouse, spend more time with my family (inevitable), help Bob with the housework, maybe look into becoming a master gardener and keep in closer touch with friends & family. I already was appointed program chair for the North Middleton Seniors Club so that will keep me busy, also. Lots to look forward to.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is what the winter landscape looks like today.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.