Help with Stephanotis floribunda (Madagascar Jasmine) please

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a Madagascar Jasmine that I started from seed last winter. It is maybe 6 inches tall. It grew to 3 or 4 inches and then did nothing for months. Mites got into the new growth which caused it to branch out a bit. I got rid of the mites and it has grown a wee bit and now just sits, day after day after day . . . I thought maybe it was working on roots first and then would take off later, but I don't see any indication of it having that habit, from reading other people's posts. Any other ideas?
It is under good lights where my other plants are all thriving. It is in a 6" pot. It was on a high shelf where it got about 80-90 in the summer. For the past couple of months it has been in the basement where it's usually in the 70s. I fertilize it with the other plants-Miracle Gro at 1/2 strength every 10 days or so.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

All plants will have that habit of working on roots first before putting out top growth, especially if they're in a pot that's large relative to the size of the plant. In my experience these are also not the fastest growing vines in the world. So as long as it's looking healthy I wouldn't worry and would just give it some time. Next year you might also try putting it outside in the warmer weather and I bet it'll do some growing then.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks. Here's a picture. I guess it does have a little new growth.

Thumbnail by green76thumb
(Zone 1)

Your Stephanotis looks very happy and healthy to me! This is the time of year where growth will begin to slow down but when late spring, early summer gets here if you can sit it outside in a sunny location I bet you will see it take off with new growth! I have a large plant that I just unwound from an upside down tomato cage and I'm getting ready to repot it because it is so rootbound.

Here is the info in Plant Files for Stephanotis floribunda: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53785/

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Gosh, if growth slows down any more . . . I don't think it has grown since May! Maybe it just needs to be closer to the lights. ?

(Zone 1)

Stephanotis do like direct sunlight and lots of it, to bloom. It shouldn't hurt putting it closer to the lights but I still don't think you are going to see much new growth until spring/summer when most plants wake up and start growing, it's just natural for plants to slow down this time of year.

This is a picture of my Stephanotis taken in spring 2007. It is a lot larger now, really put on a lot of growth during the past two summers. I'm getting ready to re-pot it into a larger pot because it is root bound and I need to put it on a new trellis. The trellis I was using was a tomato cage and it was very wobbly and lopsided because of the weight of the plant, so I spent about 1 1/2 hours the other day unwinding it from the tomato cage, now I just need to get out there and plant it up into it's new container!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a lot of work-and a great opportunity to take cuttings!
How old is yours then?

(Zone 1)

I bought it summer 2006. Our Wal-Mart sells either one or two gallon size pots for @$12.98. I did break off a couple of stems while unwinding from the trellis, so I'm trying to root them.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you have something to look forward to this spring-I have never smelled one, but look forward to it.

(Zone 1)

I was having trouble getting mine to bloom the first year ... the problem was not enough sunlight! This plant has an awesome fragrance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.