The OFFICIAL Poultry Holiday Swap Thread

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Finally, I am now starting the official Poultry Holiday Swap thread. I had suggested this earlier and there seemed to be a lot of interest, so this is the real deal.

(Just to be clear, this is not the secret santa swap in the regular swaps forum with the rules about stealing gifts and being online for specific times to open gifts and all that - it was too complicated for my little brain! This one is just a regular secret buddy swap and poultry/livestock themed).

Here are the rules. If you don't like the rules, either make an improvement suggestion, or don't join.

1. This is a holiday swap. It doesn't matter if you don't celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah or whatever - it is not themed for that. It is just a poultry-themed swap that is taking place at the holiday time of year, and I don't want anybody to be offended about that!

2. DG Subscribed members can participate - even international ones. If you are not subscribed, send me a d-mail and I will probably add you if you have been active in the poultry and livestock forum. I just don't want a whole bunch of non-subscribers that I have never heard of trying to swindle somebody out of a swap gift. I don't know if non-subscribers can send d-mail. If not, just post here and we will work it out.

3. Packages should be mailed in time to arrive for the New Year. That gives us a few days after perhaps opening other presents to get calmed down and ready for our swap! If you are international and participating, please be understanding if your parcel is late. Your swap buddy will have to be understanding also. International postage is not always speedy.

4. The items in the package should be poultry themed. If you know your swap buddy has other livestock, you could include an item themed with that breed of animal (i.e. goats, horses, llamas, etc). It doesn't have to be beautiful - for example, you might send somebody leg ID bands for their chickens, or those wire cage-making tool thingies with some clips, or lice dust, or something like that. It doesn't have to have a chicken on it, but it should be chicken related (i.e. something you can use in caring for chickens). On the other hand, it could be cute chicken tree ornaments or chicken kitchen towels or a nice chicken mug or something else decorative. Use your imagination.

5. NO HATCHING EGGS! NO BIRDS!! It is not an appropriate time of year to be mailing eggs and birds for much of the country (too cold) and anyway it is not wise to send eggs or birds to somebody when you are not 110% sure that they would want them. I don't want any unwanted chicks mixed up in this swap!

6. Please package items carefully - the post office can be brutal!

7. Sign up here. I will compile all the names. I will then get Kelly to pick two names out of a hat. As he picks two names, the first person is the person sending, and the second person is the receiver. I will put everybody's name in twice so that everybody will be a sender and receiver. Nobody will be their own sender and receiver! LOL!!

8. YOU MUST SIGN UP BY NOVEMBER 14. NO EXCEPTIONS!!

9. I will make a list of everyone who has signed up in the second post. If you sign up and you're not on the list within 2 days, send me a d-mail or make another post.

10. I think it would be fun to do a thread for the opening of the swap gifts on New Year's Day but it is up to others if you want to do that.

11. I think $20 plus shipping is a reasonable limit on this. Less is OK, but don't send somebody a toothpick, OK? Handmade gifts are wonderful and are always appreciated - their value is in the time and care taken to make them. This isn't about the money, but I don't want somebody thinking they got taken. Think about what you could sell your handmade items for at a craft market and aim for that value.

12. If you are really concerned about any of the rules, d-mail me.

This is supposed to be fun, but somebody had to make the rules!

Now GET SHOPPING OR CRAFTING!!!!
Claire, the holiday chicken.

(p.s. Image came from http://www.softpicks.net/screenshots/Chicken-Invaders-2-Christmas-Edition.jpg)

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

This posting reserved for names of people who sign up:

1. CMoxon
2. Jyl Gaskin
3. Lazy Ladies
4. Luvs2Garden2000
5. Miss Jestr
6. Jordankittyjo
7. Grownut
8. InnBetween
9. KNSLWilliams
10. Catscan
11. Sewincircle
12. Rhodiegirl

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 10:00 PM

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 1:54 PM

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 9:10 PM

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008 8:01 AM

This message was edited Dec 3, 2008 10:28 AM

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Jyl Gaskin

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Lazy_Ladies

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

we of course me me me please.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Miss Jest'r aka Roseane....

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i'm in, please

Clarkson, KY

me too, pretty please....

Newton, AL

I'd like to play.

Clarksburg, MO

Please sign me up!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I said November 14 for sign ups but I'll give it this weekend - anybody else want to join the official holiday swap!!!???

Clarksburg, MO

moxy-

you didn't get me on the list I would like to play

sheila

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Got ya Sheila! Thanks!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

When are we drawing names??? I can't wait! I just found the CUTEST thing!!!

sydney, Australia

Hey!
I live in Australia so it would be too hard to join this kris kringle(shiping fees from australia,the horrors!)
But I wish you all a merry Christmas And A Happy New Year
Ps I just got my Christmas Wish, 1 of my silkie eggs just hatched LOL!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

All the d-mails have now been sent to all participants advising who they should send the secret gift to. Note, the person you are sending to is not the person who will be sending to you, so your parcel will be coming from someone else!

If you did not get a dmail, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Have fun and try to mail the package for New Years Day so we can all report on our fun surprises. No opening early! Tsk...tsk...tsk!

Lodi, United States

Sorry I was naughty--not nice. I guess it is too late?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have not found any chicken theme items around here, also afraid I maybe out of town and off computer for a time in Dec(unless I can exscape early) Maybe I can do it next year if you do it again. Sandy/Wren

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Claire,
If you could make an exception, Cat would bring us up to an even number. I can only imagine that making things a bit more simplified. :-)

Lodi, United States

I do know where some really neat poultry related items are.......:0)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Lazy_Ladies - for direct swaps it doesn't really matter if you've got an even or odd number. For example, if you have 5 people...
1 sends to 5
2 sends to 4
3 sends to 2
4 sends to 1
5 sends to 3

However, I do believe I can be crafty about it and work it out. Catscan, you're in. And stand by for dmail.
Hang in there!
Claire

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Sewincircle and Catscan are in! You should have your emails on who to send to!
Welcome to the swap!
Claire

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, I've had a number of requests for addresses because not everybody is in the address exchange. Could everybody please send me their address by dmail and then I will distribute them as needed. If I go asking specific people for their addresses, then they will know that they are being sent something by someone who isn't in the address exchange, and then they can narrow it down. Not as secret that way!!

SO, please send along your addresses by dmail and I will make all this fun stuff happen!

Claire, the holiday chicken.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Not to distract from sending addresses (and thanks for those who have) but I thought it might be helpful to our secret buddies to do a little self-intro. I mean, we all know we love chickens, but what else might help your buddy find the "perfect" thing for you? I'll start, and hopefully everybody can give us a little "biography" to ponder.

I am Claire and I live in Iowa on 8.5 acres with my other half, Kelly. I have 3 llamas, 17 goats, 4 sheep (soon to be 7) and about 100 chickens. I like chickens of all kinds, but my favorites seem to be the ones with tones of golden brown and cream in their feathers. I let my chickens free range all day and they coop up at night, safe from predators. Kelly is the sheep and goat expert here, and he is very good with them. He is learning how to shear for next spring.

I work full time and I'm in school part time so I'm really busy. We will be having a Christmas tree this year and I really like handmade ornaments on my tree, especially animals and nature themed ones.

In my spare time (uh...what is that anyway?!) I like to cook and bake, I like to try my hand at crafts (like making chicken coats) and I read a lot. This coming year I'd like to try a small garden mosaic, maybe on a sundial or something. I also want to learn how to spin my own sheep's wool. We grow lots of veggies and this year I want to grow amaranth for my chickens because I hear that they love it.

If you like, you can see more about my little farm and my life in general on my blog, which is at http://chooksiniowa.blogspot.com.

Who's next?!

Newton, AL

I must not be very bright. I can't figure out who I am supposed to send to.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

InnBetween - you should have received a dmail with your buddy. I just checked and I did send you one. I just sent you another one with the address. Please let me know if you get it. It's odd because I remember the dmail to you about the chicken hat didn't work either. Very mysterious...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

[Claire, I'm following in your foot steps and copying your format...]

I'm Kristin. I live in SW Washington in the suburbs on a 9,000 square foot city lot with my dear husband (Eric) a 5 year old daughter (Jaiden) and a 3 year old son (Xander). In addition are our furry, feathered, and slimy children as follows: a 10 year old 22lb tabby cat (Bailey), an 8 year old beagle (Charlie Brown), three ~7 month old pullets (Lacey, Talula, & Anya), a fish tank with 2 african water frogs (Schmegel & Degel), 6 schooling fish (no names), and 1 angel fish (Koi), and another fish tank with two goldfish (Wiggle and Jiggle).

I work full-time as a Data Analyst for the local government. Eric is a stay at home dad/glass artist. I use my 30 year old jade plant as my Christmas tree and love miniature ornaments for it.

We are adding almost 500 sq ft to our house right now and doing it all ourselves.

In my spare time, (I agree with Claire - what was that again?) I sit on this computer -- for what DH classifies as way too much time -- talking to people I've never met in person. When the weather is nice, we like to grow a sizable garden and plan on expanding again next year -- probably the majority of our front yard. We like hiking, camping, going to the river and ocean, and generally just playing outside.

We dream of buying property someday and making a simpler living by co-op organic gardening, egg sales and possibly a bed and breakfast. My current goal for that is in 5 years with hope that the market will turn around by then so that I can make some profit off of what we've put into this house.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2008 7:45 PM

(Zone 7b)

Claire i believe we can't send the nonsubscribers more than 3 Dmails. I was chating with jenks and could only get 3 thru and the others were rejected just thought you would like to know.

LazyLady I want to live next door to you and grow vegetables and chickens ^_^

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i'm kathy and live in alabama. i have 50 chickens, 6 guinnea and 1 baby turkey, 2 dogs and 1 puppy.
i love gardening, and can what i grow, also love to cook and bake. my husband thinks i'm a crazy woman but loves me anyway.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi all I am Tina, I share 45 acres with my 2 brothers (they do not live here) and my mom. I have 2 turkeys, 50 ducks, over 300 chickens, 2 dogs 1 cat and her 4 kittens that will not stay.

My chickens are free range all day.

Clarksburg, MO

I'm Sheila. I live in Central Missouri on a farm with about 80 acres with my dear husband (Keith) a 5 year old daughter (Paiton) and a 2 year old son (Blayne). In addition are our pets: 2 Basset Hounds (Ike and Zeke) and about 150 chickens of varies ages.

I stay at home with the kids and sell hatching eggs, chicks, and eating eggs. I also sell scrapbook pages on ebay and am starting a new venture into quilting. Keith works for the county road and bridge department supervising work release details from the local prison.

We will have an artificial christmas tree again this year (boo hoo) because of DS's allergies. I decorate in cyrstal/glass ornaments and go to other peoples houses to smell real trees.

In my spare time, I like to try my hand at any new craft (quilting is the latest thanks to Tina, LOL). In the summer we grow a large garden, we camp, we ride horses and sit on the back deck and enjoy the kids playing after a long day.

We are in the process of trying to move to a different school distric before next August and trying to decide between buying and building something very simple. We will probably be situated on the large farm (500 acres) with my brother and his wife to be closer to the horses, so Paiton can ride when she wants to. We are also trying to expand our chicken business/hatchery this year, by adding breeds we don't currently have. On our wish list are welsummers, brahmas and polish among many others.

Well that is my story---------

Sheila

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

Ok I'm guessing I am too late for this? I'm not a subscriber member, but I am on the poultry part of the message board. Please let me know if I am too late?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Rhodiegirl - you're in. Slight adjustment of things - no problem...I will send you a dmail shortly.

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi, I'm Cecile and I live up north. My hubby and I own just over 2 acres of land. We have 1 dog, Sammy, 1 kitten, Mitts and 11 chickens that are sort of free range. They don't live in cages, but they do live in a double coup with fenced in area so they get the fresh air from outdoors and the dirt. Right now some of them are moalting their feathers, but they are starting to get them back too. I live in the woods, that's why they don't go way outdoors. Too many dangers.
Thanks for letting me in, it made my day.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello, my name is Jean Marie Bigness I was named after my uncle! My mother wanted to name me Billy Jo. My older sister is Bobbi Jo. Yup, she was a Pettycoat Junction fan. hehehe!
I have a DH of 14 years. I am a mother of two children. I am 37. I am going back to school (Oswego University) to be a High school History teacher and going for a Masters in Special ed. I use to cut hair for a living but decided I needed a change.
I sew, knit, crochet. I love animals of every kind. I have a whites tree frog, 2 ferrets, 2 hermit crabs, a guinea pig, a hamster, a small dog, and chickens. I am still working on DH to get a goat or two. hehehe

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

jean marie, are you related to dave bigness? and where in bessemer does your sis live?

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I'm Jyl Gaskin and I live in northwest Michigan (we have over a foot of snow here). We have just under a acre of land, but I have my laying flock, my silkies three rabbits and a few ducks. In the summers we raise some turkeys, ducks rabits and chicken for meat. I also have a huge vegetable garden and a couple smaller flower, water and herb gardens. I make hand sculpted fairies and Santas and have a book on rehab and a few childrens books in the works right now. Wildlife rehabilitation takes up a lot of my time and as I am typing this I have a porqupine wandering around my feet.

Well, that ought to make me sound strange enough.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Mother bird the queen of flakieness here.. is it too late for me to get in? If it is too late.. I'm gonna have to resort to the cloaking device.

I'm Joyce. 50yr old single mom. Cody is 16 and Krystal is 21. They are both wonderful kids. I manage a Mobile Home park and live in the manager's quarters. I moved my 95 year old mom (a major chicken enabler) in my home down the street to have her close. My chickens and garden are on the neighbor's 5 acre property. I'm not sure if I have 20 or 200 chickens.. but by the time you read this, the number will surely have grown. (who's counting anymore?) I have a small house dog "Tweety" who was 14 on Halloween, about 60 brugs and over 100 varieties of coleus.
I love crafts, painting tee shirts, anything creative, sewing, canning, gardening, golf, carpentry, chickens and above all... The peace, tranquility and gifts nature gives me.
Blessed is the day I found this site, as it has been a source of happiness for quite some time now.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Jordan, She lives on Summerset Park. Do you know it?

(Zone 7b)

Sorry Claire i was trying to figure a way i could join in the swap. But with the gas price's being so high not to long ago and me not being able to have my usual money from selling birds (pox). It's going to be a real tight christmas this year.

But i would like to say i hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas (Hope you all get what you want)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.