Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Hello Alexandra! I'm enjoying your orchid thread. I have two still living outside here (I'll put them in our little greenhouse soon with the plumeria), and three little ones on the kitchen window sill. We have a market here called Trader Joe's that has orchids in pots - they are cheaper than buying a bouquet, last longer, and don't end up in the trash! For my birthday, I brought home a Miltonia and it had flowers for two months - not bad for $12.99!

The outdoor plants are mounted and look AWFUL, but dutifully give me blooms each year. Your outdoor set-up has given me ideas (DH will cringe!) for having more outside. Once we get the landscaping far enough along, I'll start sneaking them in and he'll never know what happened!

Speaking of plumeria - have you tried them? It's another plant you can lose yourself in. :-)

Kathleen

P.S. I love that vanilla plant!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello, Kathleen! It's good to know, as I've been in San Diego once (while I was living in Miami), and I remember it was quite a dry weather...
El Paso is colder than San Diego right now, but I still like the idea of them being outside, we'll see how they fare until springtime...

I'm trying now some Plumeria from seed. They are 10 days old, nothing "moving" on top, but I looked at the bottoms, and 8 out of 10 show a little root. Now I'm thinking I put them in too little soil.

I think Plumeria might be happier here, since they like dryness? But I'll have to overwinter trees, that'll be another challenge...

The vanilla has a story by herself... for it led me to the discovery of a beautiful orchid nursery. It is a special baby for me, and I hope sometimes it will flower, but probably less than growing in the ground and up the trees like her Mother-Vanilla or Dave's.

Happy Halloween!
Alexandra

Thumbnail by goofybulb

Check over on the Plumeria Forum for wintering plants - or have you? DH built the greenhouse last year just to safeguard the plummies - I lost four two year old trees the year before in a sudden freeze and didn't want to go through that again. The present ones are still small enough to move them in there. Good luck with the seedlings. I have some myself that I must get started.

Yes, it can be quite dry here. I keep a pump sprayer by my orchids and whenever I think of it, they get a bath.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I went there, said hello, so far I mostly read the start from seed threads, and I ooohh-aaahh-ed at the flowers. Funny, to live for 6 years in Miami and never to see one, or smell one!

I'll start some more seeds either tonight or tomorrow (my hubby is working tonight, so I have to do something until I fall asleep). It should be a very easy job, and I love doing it, right??? But the seed starting mix here is so dry! I dread the moment of opening the bag again! Dust flying all around. I have the hose close to me, to mist fast.

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Two years ago I brought all the potted plumeria into the garage and let them go dormant. They lost their leaves and looked pitiful and naked. Only gave them a cup of water every 2 weeks. That year we had some unusual frosts and many of the plumeria that were in the ground were lost. Mine are looking a little sad, with only one of them still blooming. Soon, I'll have to beg for a spot in the garage for them.

My brugmansia take up all the room in my small greenhouse. Wish I had another one. :-)

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

see, I didn't have the courage to have a brugmansia... Maybe if it was a dwarf one, max 5 feet?

Eugene, OR

Hi Alexandra...loved your story. I have to say the best thing I did when I decided to grow orchids, was join a local orchid society. Ours is quite small and informal, just people who love orchids getting together to talk about them. We have people like me who grow in the house and some with huge green houses that sell plants, one of our members has an orchid nursery. Discounts for members, dangerous place to go. LOL

Love your solution to low humidity, with that kind of determination I'm sure you will succeed.

Should tell you Kathleen sent me here, knowing I would like the story. She's my sis.

Not a good picture, but this is one that's blooming for me. Blc Hawaiian Mini Island 'Carmela'

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

goofybulb, As a hobbyist orchid grower for about 8-9yrs, I must say I am very impressed with your collection. How beautiful they are. Yesterday, I decided to order a Maxallaria tenuifolia as a change of routine. I was feeling a little bored with the ones I have. I've only about 25. I had seen the Max i wanted a while back but didn't order one. Now I can hardly wait to get it. Have you any experience growing them? If so, would you please be so kind as to tell me of the care it requires. I've done a thumbnail read on the cultural requirements but I like hearing from someone who has actually grown them.
Thanks, Lee

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi, Sally, and welcome, beautiful Cattleya!. I hit a search for El Paso orchid groups or societies, didn't come up with anything yet. Still searching, though... I should also take into consideration neighboring stated (AZ, NM), as cities in these states are much closer than those in TX.

My humidity trays have to have water replenished every other day. I was amazed by the rhythm of evaporation in here. I wonder how often should I water the babies now... supposedly it's cool weather, low growth, less water, but my feeling is they would want more than just once a week-10 days.

Lee, I am quite new with orchids, a bit over one year from my first encounter. Not much experience... and definitely didn't get the chance of getting bored with the ones I have. As soon as I got one thing right, my environment changed, and I'm back to the learning task... I'm permanently challenged.
Never had a Maxillaria, but it surely looks pretty, so no experience with it. Rally all I have is the ones I wrote about.

If I manage to keep these alive until next year, then I'll think of having more. Right now, I have to restrain myself.

Update on the poor DC: two leaves left... The others look good, though maybe still need to water them a bit more often then I do right now.

On the good side, my Plumeria seeds (another first in my life) started to move today! I think later in the day I will see some green!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Alexandra

Eugene, OR

One trick I learned was to take a wooden pencil and stick it down into the potting medium. If it's damp you don't need to water. You have to sharpen it every time, but it does work. I've gotten to the point where I can pick them up and tell if they need water, just by the weight. At least you can do that with the smaller ones.

Yeah on your Plummie seeds! Sis sent me some cuttings last spring, so I'm trying something new too. About time for me to put them up for winter, but they did grown really well considering we don't get hot weather.

Hope your weekend is good as well.
Sally

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the tip, Sally!

I have 3 greens out of the soil! Have to take pics...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Yea!! I also prefer seed to most anything else. Don't have very good luck in peat pots though. Always seem to get just so high and get "damp off" and die. Don't know how that works, Alex. You are probably more experienced than I and that won't be a problem.

I participated in the Plumeria co-op last Spring and got a dozen "sticks". Gave away over half of them. The ones I kept rooted and two of them bloomed this summer. On the plumie forum it says to pull out of the soil and lay them somewhere where they won't freeze. I've done that and am crossing my fingers for next spring.

JUNE will be a great time for all seeds planted this October, right? Alex.

Christi

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL, Christi! It will be a blooming summer, that's for sure!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

LOL, you guys!

Just popping in to say Aloha to Sally and to Lee, nice to "see" you.

Christi, have you ever tried misting your seedlings with hydrogen peroxide water? It seems to help me when I think I am getting the dreaded dampening off - not that I am any expert at all with seedlings, Lord knows!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Never thought of that, Jennie. Since I have the littlest greenhouse, may try some seed starting this coming year. Going to start cleaning out the beds today and broadcasting seed that should be planted in the fall. Weather is great and am getting my strength back. Yippee!!

Christi

So glad to hear that you are on the mend, Christi - it's been a long, hard summer for you and Mike. I hope you aren't going to overdo cleaning out those beds....

XXX

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, not to worry. I'm still mostly on the side of being the Sargeant.
I direct and Mike does. hahahaha

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And he probably enjoys every minute of it too! :-) I just stopped in to say Howdy - now I am off to plant some Stephanotis seeds that a very sweet garden angel sent me. Found just the right spot - I think!.

Yokwe,
Shari

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Christi,
You made me laugh with that post, and I forgot to say a few things. I'm no expert in growing things from seed, I just like doing it sooo much! This is what I do:

If they get too tall, maybe they have too little light, so I would move them to a brighter place. That room I'm hosting my plants has two windows, and east one, and a south one. The shelves are on the south, and even if they are not in direct sun, it's very bright in there.

I always water from the bottom (unless I mist them, but I don't do that too often), so I don't disturb them and the weight of water does not "fracture" the little stems. The Plumeria seeds I misted, cause people told me not to water too much, or they'll rot. I think I gave them too little water by misting (took them quite some time to pop), so now I mist them every day.

I never tried Jenny's method with hydrogen peroxide, but I'll surely do it. Considering the good results in germination, it might be a win-win.

It's a happy feeling gardening with your husband, I think! I cannot wait for mine to raise the level of a bed, that I'm going to plant with all the bulbs!

On a sad note, everyone, the darling DC has no more leaves. And my tray assembly is efficient, but long-time exposure to water erodes the aluminium trays and now I have tiny holes in them. Have to think of something more durable.

Hugs,
Alexandra

Do you have salt content in your water Alexandra? I am just wondering why the aluminum has become pitted. Sorry to hear that DC bit the dust, will you be replacing her?

I wish Frank liked to garden too, but he is great with a chain saw! The zucchini that I bought, planted, fed, harvested and cooked is officially known as "his" zucchini - I can't think why for the life of me....but he is very proud of them, LOL!

Eugene, OR

LouC...I'm jealous, you're cuttings bloomed already!! I'll have to be patient, we just don't get enough hot weather.

Braveheartsmom....thank you for the Aloha, haven't been to the islands for a long time. Nice to think about.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sally, no one could have been more surprised than I was. Just hope they are still viable next spring. Now, they didn't all bloom, just two. Everyone of them did root and put on healthy leaves.

Jenny, I had forgotten about the morning glory you grew earlier this year. Soaked the seed in peroxide solution and they sprouted over night.

The cuttings of brugs you sent and the MG tree have all done wonderful. Trying to decide if I must pot them or will they survive 8a.

PK

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Jenny,
The water in El Paso has high durity (?) and I think it's saltier than average. We do not use water softener (except for laundry and dishwashing). It might be the high salt content that made those holes in my pans. I am replacing them temporarily with another aluminum set, but will think of something more durable or permanent (maybe those silicone pans?).

I want very much to replace the DC, but I didn't open the discussion with hubby yet. I'm thinking buying another when I go for my defense (end of January)... I really want to give it another try (or it give me another try, whichever is more true).

Hmmm, Brugs are another very intimidating plant... I still didn't decide if I want one or not... I kept looking and looking, Christi, and there are a few that are hardy to zone 7, more are hardy to 8, and still more are hardy in warmer zones. Tough decision!

Hugs,
Alexandra

Keaau, HI

How about another Orchid?

Here is a variegated Oncidium flexuosum, Dancing Doll Orchid.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

Oooh, I have one, but not variegated! Love that.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Dave,
That is a gracious plant! Very beautiful! I will think about it and look for it. My little Oncidium is surely a bundle of joy when it flowers, so it might be a very nice choice!

The thing I know for sure (now) is that I will NOT have a Phalenopsis! That was my first and worst failure, and many people call them easy... well, maybe someday, when I'll be more experienced.

Eugene, OR

Don't give up on Phals.....they really are easy once you get it right.

Onc. Gower Ramsey

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

And this little cutie is a hybrid Slc (I can't read the tag, looks like Mem or Mein) 'Alvin Beggam Poem'

Thumbnail by Sally_OR

The pictures of the orchids are gorgeous! Has anyone had one that stayed in bloom for two months? One of our shop owners has a beautiful potted orchid on his counter that really has been in bloom for two months solid and is still going strong - it's got a mass of large flowers and really is a sight to behold.

Keaau, HI

Hey Alexandra, it is my understanding that Phalaenopsis species like to be warm in the day and cool at night, and they like to be watered early in the day and dried off by evening. They don't like to be left with water on the foliage at night, which leads to bacterial rot and the death of the plant.
Nurseries that raise Phalaenopsis here for export, must regularly spray to stop Botrytis rot, a major enemy of this Orchid! (It makes black legions on the leaves.)

I have trouble with Phalaenopsis because I grow Orchids outside, and it is almost always wet here at night.

Is it possible that El Paso has conditions not akin to Phalaenopsis culture? Maybe you can provide a microhabitat at your place which is more to their liking?

Aloha, Dave

Eugene, OR

Dave, that was a perfect description of raising Phals. Usually they say at our meetings, the conditions for Phals. and African Violets is about the same. I grow mine in the house, so I water just like you said.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry for the delay in answering...

Dave, the Phal started to go downhill while in Miami, during "winter" - the plant was inside, with less air movement... and with sphagnum moss as potting mix. I think it was too wet for it, and I realized this too late... only one root left. Then I repotted, moved it outside, and it dragged for a while. It came to El Paso with me as a "ghost", almost gone... I never managed to make it grow roots again.

The interesting part is: if you do a search for orchid nurseries close to El Paso, a few appear, in New Mexico and Arizona. And they mostly have Phals! So, I would think, they have it easier here in the desert, maybe the climate can be controlled easier...

I just don't know if I have the guts for another Phal so soon... and people say they are the easiest orchid to have for a beginner!

The good news today is that the little Tolumnia (or Tilapia, as I fondly call her sometimes...) is putting up a flower spike! It happened during Thanksgiving weekend! I didn't manage to take the best picture of the spike, but here it is!

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Keaau, HI

Hey Alexandra,

Ask the nursery what type of medium they are using to grow the Phals on; use the same!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Dave, you really want me to try another Phal, don't you?! I will definitely ask!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Now, what do you think of this one? http://store.brennansorchids.com/servlet/Detail?no=426&sfs=3f333ab3
or its pink variety http://store.brennansorchids.com/servlet/Detail?no=425&sfs=3f333ab3

Husband looked over my shoulder and said: no new orchids until we see that the ones we have survive! I think it's the only time I heard him say no, with the orchids!!!

Anyway, I found a (more) permanent solution for the humidity trays: plastic serving platters for $2 each, my orchids deserve 6 dollars, right? This is one step closer to the replacement of the 13th orchid... tied them to the upper rack, filled them (not completely, have to test the resistance) with water. Placed the plants back, and voila!

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Very clever, Alex.

Christi

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello friends! I now call it "my twelve step program towards the thirteenth orchid"!

Looky here! I cannot wait for tomorrow's daylight!

this is yesterday's

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

and this is tonight!
Looks like I have 11 more to go!

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Eugene, OR

Congratulations on your new arrivals. Well done.

I like to take plants that are ready to open over to my mom, she says it's like they're pregnant and ready to pop. She loves to guess what it's going to look like.

Here's my latest one.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, Sally, not a new one... Just one that I succeeded in making happy enough to flower... it's the Tolumnia I received as a present at the end of August. It was in flower than, but the dry air from the flight back (from Miami to El Paso) shriveled the blooms before I could take her picture.

The deal with my hubby is that until we learn how to deal with the orchids we have here, in the desert, we will buy no more of them... :o( BUT... Now I'm one step closer to the next purchase!

It's a wonderful Phal, and a great thing you're having with your mom! I have to settle to just drag DH and show him and do the happy dance!
Alexandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.