Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting.., 1 by goofybulb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goofybulb

In reply to: Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Orchids then and now. The story of 13 orchids and counting..
goofybulb wrote:
Sorry for the delay in answering...

Dave, the Phal started to go downhill while in Miami, during "winter" - the plant was inside, with less air movement... and with sphagnum moss as potting mix. I think it was too wet for it, and I realized this too late... only one root left. Then I repotted, moved it outside, and it dragged for a while. It came to El Paso with me as a "ghost", almost gone... I never managed to make it grow roots again.

The interesting part is: if you do a search for orchid nurseries close to El Paso, a few appear, in New Mexico and Arizona. And they mostly have Phals! So, I would think, they have it easier here in the desert, maybe the climate can be controlled easier...

I just don't know if I have the guts for another Phal so soon... and people say they are the easiest orchid to have for a beginner!

The good news today is that the little Tolumnia (or Tilapia, as I fondly call her sometimes...) is putting up a flower spike! It happened during Thanksgiving weekend! I didn't manage to take the best picture of the spike, but here it is!