October Daily Weather II, What's happening in your yard?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well! I sure have missed a lot! I was here this morning just for a sec to see if Sharon had posted any news about Gary. Yippee!!! And such good news it was! :D But I couldn't stay inside. I've been out all day long, w/a really nice temp of 75°. This mornin' was a little chilly (43°), but some folks around here were in the mid 30's.
At Dublin...
Clear: 66°F
Feels like: 66°F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 50°
Humidity: 56%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 6:47 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Happy Birthday! Debi!! :D What a great way to spend 'your' day! And DH has good taste! Beautiful! ;)
Kelli! Please stay safe! Those pics are real scary! I saw on the news where the fire had jumped a free-way! and some folks were evacuated...I hope it's not coming to your house. But ~ I really had to laugh when you declined a dinner invitation! :D
Sidney, That looks like something in the rodent family...need more info! And what kind of gun are ya totin'? A 22 lever action?
Marsue! LOL I think she must be 'jesting'! :D Glad that you had a great time at the RU. I have never been able to go to one. :( Maybe one day... btw..Gorgeous Rose!
Kiska, Love your pics...very creative! ;)
E_B, Great 'action' shot! Great color, too! :D
Sharon, Love the candle sticks & console table...your guys sure have great taste! ;)
Rann, I'm hoping you get good news tomorrow as well. :) Gee The water is absolutely wild! I think the word would be torrential!
Celia, Great snow pics...The 'dusting' is gorgeous on flowers, huh? ( OK tombstones too! ;)
Dyson, The door will be there when you decide to get r done ;)
Marylyn, Sounds as if you had a really good time w/ company! :D I love it when everyone is laughing &/or giggling! :D

The answer to the trivia is...C
Streamlines around a low pressure are counterclockwise.

Good Nite all! :D
Joey

(at the river)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

OK...1 more shot.

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oooops...that was the blurry one!

This is a better one...

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

All the flowers are gorgeous!

The fire caused a bit of a stir for my BIL.
He lives off the 210 and takes the 5 and 118 every morning..... welllllll.... not this morning.
The 118 was closed because of smoke and fear of a fire jump.
Luckily the winds are not blowing toward them... but a back door fire...... yikes!
He's right off Big Tujunga Canyon Road near the Reservoir.

HOT here!
Ric

(Zone 3b)

Joey~the river is gorgeous~especially the last with trees beginning to change and the rapids in the foreground. What is the bird?
Hope all's well with your BIL, ric. What a worry for that part of California.
All the flower photos are gorgeous~love poppy in the snow.
28* with more snow tonight.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks! The guys did good this year : )
Celia – Pretty flower in the snow pic! I’ve posted a better picture of the console and kitty. There is a story behind the kitty (carved wood - can't remember the type of wood). Two years ago a couple lived across the street and 2 houses to the right. They had a couple of tuxedo cats that were outdoor cats. The Daddy of them all was Jasper, who always came over to our house. He would come in and fall asleep, there were times we did know he was here. The couple moved and took Jasper, but left Sylvester and his sister kitty. We kept Sylvester and another couple took the sister kitty. The little kitty statue is a reminder of Jasper – he was the coolest cat I ever met LOL!
Rann – I’m going to try the spelt flour. We have a health food store, they should have it.
Marsue – Beautiful rose!
Celia – I like your flowerbed
Joey – Beautiful river pictures! Is that the New River?

73.6 °F / 23 °C
Clear
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy. High 81. Northeast winds 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYSON!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYSON!

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday!!! Dyson!!! Hope you have a very happy one! :D
It's Dyson Dark & our temp is 47°.

Clear: 45°F
Feels like: 45°F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 45°
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 6:46 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Sharon, Thanks, It's the New River...
Kiska, Thanks...I don't think that it's a Heron (too fat). The name escapes me! :D LOL
Ric, Glad that the wind isn't blowing in your BIL's direction.
Kelli, I hope you are OK!

The trivia for the day is...
What is a low pressure system that is warmer at its center than at its periphery?
a) Warm-Core Low
b) Warm Low
c) Hot Low
d) Warm Occlusion

Have a Great Day! All! :D
Joey

(up behind the house)

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's fairly calm, 40°F and a light cloud cover this morning.

Dyson - Happy Brithday :-) Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing day!

Sharon - great gifts. Such a cute cat statue :-)

Joey - wow! Gorgeous photo of the river. When the glacial rivers flood like that they really stink I'm told (sulphur I'm guessing), I've never been there to see it and smell it with my own nose ;-) lol

We're feeling a bit like the smallest kid on the school playground that's getting bullied by all the bigger kids ..... it really sucks. I hate bullies.

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:48 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Dyson!!! I hope you have a wonderful day. ^_^

Sharon, that table and the vases are beautiful! Your boys really DID do a great job! :-) That was a sweet story about Jasper. I'm sure you missed him a lot when he and his family moved. He probably missed you, too!

I'm sorry, Rann. I hate bullies, too. :-(

I hope your BIL's house remains safe and they get this fire under control quickly, Ric!

We had 3 families here on Friday, 2 of them had kids. The two little guys just happen to be very close to the same age, but are not related.

It's raining! Yayy! There are 4 tropical events-of-interest in the Atlantic! Booo! So far only Tropical Depression #15 (soon to be T. S. Omar) looks very likely to cause too much ickiness. Puerto Rico is going to get slammed - again! - and then Omar is expected to become a hurricane and head north. It's too soon to say if and when it will make landfall after that.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (11 min ago)
Temperature 77 °F 25 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 30.08 in 1018.6 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Heat Index 82 °F 28 °C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.9°F / 24.4°C
Right Now Issued 7:00am CDT -- Tue, Oct 14, 2008
Scattered showers and thunderstorms will continue to develop over the coastal waters this morning and move northwest at 10 to 15 mph. Rainfall amounts will average between a tenth and a quarter inch.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Birthday Dyson You have been a wonderful friend to me.
I expect to see Dyson Dark in Wikipedia any day.
Sharon those gifts are absolutely beautiful. Your guys have great taste.
Joey, I have a new background on my lap top. I miss crisp rivers and the great smells.
Kiska, Celia, and Rann stay warm. Hard to think so cold when it's
79.2 °F / 26.2 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 10.5 mph / 16 km/h from the ENE
Wind Gust: 14.5 mph / 23 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Marsue pretty rose.
Here is a sliver of a picture of the real me.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 5a)

Sharon - I'd also recommend agave syrup instead of sugar if you're thinking along those lines. It's very sweet so you can get away with 75 - 50% less compared to sugar and it's pure fructose (which doesn't cause the sharp rise in blood glucose levels that white sugar does). It's horribly expensive though, at least here.

Marylyn - here's hoping Omar won't amount to anything .... ;-)

Rann

(Zone 7a)

No time for comments this morning except...great pics, everyone. Happy B-Day, Dyson!!!

35°F with a high of 55º today. We had our first frost.
Feels like: 28°F

Barometer: 30.4 in ↑
Dewpoint: 28°
Humidity: 76%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 6:47 PM
UV Index: 4 Low

Japanese Maple leaf.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DYSON--HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!
Joey, love the river pics! Your leaves are beginning to turn, too.
Sharon: sweet story about Jasper. The console table looks beautiful!
Rann: I hate bullies, too! Iceland sounds like the "smallest kid on the block".
Marylyn: someone told me once that when company comes you are glad twice: You are glad when they arrive and you are glad when they leave! LOL I'm hoping Omar will dissipate somewhere in the Caribbean.
Sidnay: I knew you were "jesting"! LOL
Celia: are all your flowers and plants frozen? Sure hope not!

Overcast this morning and cool--currently 73º looking for a high later today of 81º
I need to get outside and plant the things I brought home from the RU this past week-end.

Here's another rose: Miss All American Beauty with fan flower to the left and tomato plant growing out of control to the right

Thumbnail by marsue
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Dyson!!!

It's currently in the mid 50s, cloudy and wet from the rain we got last night.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The problem really isn't bullies it's that Iceland decided to play w/ the the big kids and couldn't keep up.
The interest rates they were paying out were WAY too high.
Just like the ones we were charging were too low.
The same thing happened to Japan about 10 years ago.
They are flush now!
Island nations just have to import too much stuff.
If there's problems in the countries they import from.... they are stuck.
Not anybody's fault but the bankers.
They should be held responsible.

(Zone 5a)

I'm not saying the banks weren't at fault. The fact of the matter is that about 20 people are responsible for this mess, and the entire nation is taking the fall. OK we couldn't keep up with the big kids, that's true, but that doesn't mean the big kids have the right to beat us up ........... I don't really think there's any need to add insult to injury. Things are bad enough without it. All I can say is who needs enemies when you have "friends" like that.

The Icelandic symphony orchestra has been "dis-invited" to Japan because "we" can't be trusted financially. A danish newspaper is comparing us to Simbabwe. I'm sorry that's just wrong. We have one of the highest literacy rates in the world and a very high percentage of people with university degrees. There are a lot of hard working, HONEST, competent people in this country and we can take care of ourselves. We're just not getting the chance to do it at the moment. And that's very frustrating. Every single Icelandic company is getting shunned because of those three banks. And I ask - what will become of us if every business in this country fails because the world turned their backs on us? I honestly don't think we deserve that kind of treatment. And for the record, banks have failed in other countries besides Iceland ..........

This message was edited Oct 14, 2008 5:38 PM

(Zone 3b)

Happy Birthday, Dyson~ hope it's a bright and beautiful day, too.
MySharona~Love the table and how it's accessorized:))
27°
Occasional light snow. Additional snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Highs in the 30s. Light winds.
rann~it's a mess for sure; hopefully reason will win out and this will come to a good ending.
music2keep~ d ~ how's "our" little guy these days? It's time for a JW pic:))
I have my 4 yearold gson for a couple of hours today; never a dull moment~he loves leggos and snacks:)
This is the gdaughter/family that's leaving Alaska tomorrow.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann: What can I say? Just know that we are all thinking about you, for what it's worth.
Kiska: I know that tomorrow is going to be hard for all of you. Your house will certainly be empty after they leave. However, as you have told me, the family is looking forward to their new life in Washington. Hopefully you can all look at it as being not "Good-by" but "Until we meet again".

Europeana

Thumbnail by marsue
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Dyson ! Have a wonderful sunny day!
Happy Belated , Deb ! Your DH's flowers are beautiful!
Sharon, wonderful news about Gary, I'm so happy, yeah! The table and kitty is so cute, also the candle sticks. Cute story about Jasper !
Marsue, your roses are gorgeous! Loved the pics from the RU, the fall decorations are so nice. I think the plant you love is Jacobinia. I'll post a picture with the oxalis for you.
Kiska, wow, so much snow, but it is so beautiful, great picture! So sweet your gdaughter with the snowman !
Joey, so nice to see the river again, why are you saying it's the new river? Hugs to JW!
Celia, those poppies are so beautiful...poor things, now covered with snow!
Ric, the frames are looking great! Are you doing it all by yourself?
Sidney, you are too funny! You really shot that little guy?
E_B, wonderful self portrait! Love those trees turning!
Marylyn, I bet you had such fun with those 2 little cuties and your bunnies aswell! Any pics?
Rann, I'm sorry your country is going through such crisis, but I'm sure it'll all be fixed and you will get help from the other countries. I have a picture of the GH, not a real one, just a sunny room where I can keep my plants. I don't have any shelves yet and this is frustrating for me...my plants are always the last for DH when it comes to investing some money for them...ugh!
This is from outside.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Also, we did another arrangement of the furniture. This is the coach and armchairs in the family room.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This is the dinning room...excuse the mess!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marsue, this is my oxalis.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 5a)

Adina - your plant room looks good :-) and the others too ;-) Very pretty oxalis! Thanks.

DH was so beat when he got home from work today. He works at one of the savings banks still standing and he says it's becoming a hopeless battle. If you're Icelandic you can't get credit anywhere, and they can't even transfer money out of the country. No one will take the icelandic krona at the moment :-( Students abroad are sending out a cry for help since many of them have run out of money for food and can't access their accounts .....

(Zone 7a)

What mess, Adina? LOL I see one thing out of place. My whole house is a disaster!

No, Mau, the flowers are not frozen. They bounced back without a problem. The blooms I showed pics of are still there and showing beautifully.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Rann, I hope things get straightened out soon for your country. That's strange that the symphony orchestra was dis-invited. Who is paying whom? It's the Japanese paying the Icelandic musicians, isn't it?

Adina, your house looks so fresh. I can almost smell the new paint.

Speaking of smell, it smells like smoke everywhere. The fire nearest me has moved to where I can't see the smoke anymore. It is still windy.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 14, 2008
88 °F / 31 °C
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 24 °F / -4 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the East
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1015 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

the last of the vacation pictures
Joshua trees in California

Thumbnail by Kelli

Now you know almost as much about Baker, CA as I do.

Thumbnail by Kelli

the aforementioned thermometer

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Kelli - those Joshua trees are really neat. Those fires are really scary - made it on the news here tonight. Yeah - it was really weird about the orchestra. They'd been invited and were sponsored by some Japanese company so they weren't paying for the trip. They'd been preparing for it for 2 years. Not sure what harm they could do the Japanese - speculations that the sponsors couldn't sell enough tickets. I guess no one wants to listen to Icelandic musicians these days .......

(Zone 3b)

Thanks, marsue~could be some tears tomorrow:)) But, they are quite excited and the thought of all the differences between here and Seattle, is also exciting to them.
Adina~the plants look great there; your new home is so bright and cheerful; been great to watch it being built.
rann~you are probably stronger than you realize; but keeping up a strong front, especially for the girls' sake, must be stressful. Take care as best you can; we're here.
kelli~wow~ Baker's thermometer is one of a kind~ hope the fires are being brought under control by now.er
kwanjin~they look great even now. Tough flowers.
30* and continues to snow.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kelli: Thanks for the tour of Baker! LOL.
Rann: So sorry about what's happening to your country. I hope things change soon, so your life can get back to normal!

Dyson: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you've had a really great time today!

Sunny and warm today. High was somewhere round 80. Now, clear an 64..and Dyson dark. :)
Deb

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

DYSON - HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND !!!!
Kelli stay safe, those fires really look bad.

Rann, you country is not alone, yet I understand your frustration - it must be especially hard with your husband working in finance. A lot of people say the finance crises doesn;t affect them - they have yet to lean that is does. My husband had lived through the last major depression in 1929. He says it will be rough for many families - people will survive by being frugal.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rann I like Icelandic music!
They can play here.... besides we have better food here than Japan as we cook ours! LOL!

Adina, Robyn and I are doing all the work.
I've done a little framing before but nothing on this scale.
It's the biggest project we've tackled for sure but coming along.
The inside work will be a breeze! LOL!

We actually got a little rain today.... maybe 20 minutes worth......

Ric

Happy birthday, Dyson! May your nights always be dark - and I mean that in a good way.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

OOhhhh, I hope I never have a fever that big.
Great looking house Adina,Boring women have spotless houses. LOL
Like a clean slate for you.
Celia I love your laceleaf.
Kiska, I know you'll be Dyson Blue tomorrow.
Marsue, don't the roses love this time of year?
Rann, God is good, all the time and you are in my prayers.
Kelli, I love Joshua Trees.
Joey I'm guessing (a)
;)
Another interesting shot.
~~~~Waving to Deb, Seeds, Ric ~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hi all, thought i'd jump in.
Happy late birthday Dyson and Deb.
I'm often up late and enjoy this forum.Have been a very amateur weather bug since a child esp what its doing around the world. Also love astronomy. well-l-l and most of the other sciences too. Now tell me how can a dingy lil ol lady
possible be interested in any science.
I was never domesticated. My only excuse.

I just heard the most wonderful quote."Boring women have spotless houses." I have to make a big sign with that prominately displayed.

I live in the middle of the Ozark Nat Forest on top of a 2000 ft, mountain. I know---a hill to most of you. but mountain sounds good. The closest town is 38 miles away. Most of my neighbors have either 4 legs,2wings or no legs. I'm very happy up here most of the time. With winter comes the loss of leaves and everything turns grey. By the last of January my cabin fever includes my whole mountain.So have planted spring flowers everywhere i can stick a bulb.Those little green shoots are the most welcome sights in the world.

Rann, Am sorry about your country. My prayers are with you and your country. Am also aware of the intelligent people there as i read of Islandic scientists mentioned fairly frequently. Don't you have someone fairly famous at CERN now?
From what i heard on Bloomburg
You may have some big countries join you. Things are scary right now.

Kelli, the JOSHUA Trees are beautiful. Do you get to go into the desert much? The fires are so dreadful. Stay safe.
Had wanted to post more but am tired and will write more tomorrow. I can only give the barest of weather info for me as i am my only source for my immediate weather any other is about 40 miles away.
Vickie

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy, the sun is out and it's fairly calm this morning. Had some frost last night so I had to get out the window scrapes this morning ......... grrrrrrr. Currently it's 38°F.

Thank you all for your support, I can't tell you how much it means to me. I'm literally trembling and in tears this morning ........... It's getting to be really difficult to keep up a good front for the girls. But we will - we're protecting them from all this mess as much as we can although they've gathered from the news that there's something going on with the banks.

This country has always relied on the fish in the sea and for most of our history that's been the mainstay of our exports. And there's still plenty of fish in the sea. However, now it looks like we won't be able to sell it. Our "friends" in Britain (who seem to be on a mission to ruin this country) have frozen all money transfers to Iceland, so exporters aren't getting money for their products ....... It doesn't take a genious to figure out that it won't take long to drive them into bankruptcy that way. On top of that, NO Icelandic company can get credit anywhere, all suppliers are demanding cash only ..... also doesn't take a genious to figure out that that won't fly ..... no one has cash these days, especially not in foreign currency. So you can see where this is all heading ..... What we're dealing with here is this: 3 Icelandic companies made commitments abroad that they couldn't live up to. Therefore Iceland must die. (They were actually selling T-shirts in Britain reading "Bomb Iceland") I don't think any other country in the world would get this kind of treatment. But again who cares about the fate of a measly 300.000 out in the middle of the Atlantic? No one. It's like your bank would deny your entire neighborhood credit because one or two people there are criminals ........ and meanwhile the british MP (who I can safely say is the most detested person in the world here in Iceland) is celebrated as a HERO in the European press. What's wrong with these people???????

Ric - LOL thanks for the laugh - I really needed that ;-) lol

cando - Hi! and welcome :-)

I wish you all a wonderful day!

Rann

Thanks! The guys really did a good job. I really think it was Jeff that did the shopping though!
Joey – I’m going with A, clueless though! LOL!
Rann – Bullies are horrible. Grrrr I’m so sorry about what is happening in Iceland. It only takes a couple of people to create a disaster. Know that our prayers are with you and please let us know if you need anything.
Marylyn – Sounds like you had a fun time on Friday!
Rann – I’ve never heard of agave syrup. I’ll see if the health food store carries it too.
Marsue – You have so many roses I can’t keep up LOL! They are beautiful.
Kiska- You saw the bowl, huh?! Perfect spot for it and everyone likes it. I know you are going to miss your daughter and grandchildren. Our thoughts are with you today. She’s adorable!
Adina – The rooms are looking good! Pretty Oxalis.
Kelli – Love the Joshua trees! LOL – I used to know some people that lived in Baker. No wonder they wanted to move! Stay safe from those fires…scary

What the heck?? Bomb iceland?? That's horrible...

Welcome cando1!

70.5 °F / 21.4 °C
Clear
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 63 °F / 17 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 72 °F / 22 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. High 83. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

The infamous Blue Days are blooming again!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Beautiful color aren't they? My lisianthuus are starting to fade. :( The yellow is still going but the blues are done, I'm afraid.

Welcome, Vickie! Sounds lovely up on your mountain. :)

Rann: People just like a scapegoat when things are bad, and it looks like some Brits have chosen Iceland. I'm sure the majority of the folks in the UK don't feel same as the idiots printing those very nasy and distasteful t-shirts. Hang in there. You and your family are in all our thoughts.

ummm - oh yeah - the weather! Sunny and warm today with a high expected at 85. It was 55 at sunrise this morning, which was nice. However, tonight shoudl be back to our normal low about 62.
Plenty of rain the past couple of weeks so we may have some decent fall colors this year.

Joey: Wild guess - "A".

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.