October Daily Weather II, What's happening in your yard?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

We were getting rather long on the old thread, so here's a new one.
Please come by with your pictures and comments.
82.2 °F / 27 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 59 °F / 15 °C
Wind: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h from the SE
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Sidney
A double Datura

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Thanks fo rthe new thread, Sidney! Gorgeous datura!

(Zone 5a)

Sidney - that datura truly stunning

Adina - I'd been sick for a few years before I got the diagnosis without knowing what was wrong with me. I think that was the hardest part. The symptoms resemble a mild flu, exhaustion, aches and poor sleep. The fogginess is just a "side effect" so to speak from being tired all the time. I'm just about free from the aches and exhaustion (if I don't over do things) but the fogginess is very persistant. I often wish I'd get a day with a clear head - I used to have a pretty sharp mind, and it's very frustrating to not have that anymore to be honest.

Kiska - beautiful photo :-) and thanks for your kind words. Although it's hard not to worry it's of no use when things are out of your control, so it's very good advice ;-)

I'm sure there were some other comments I wanted to make, but I don't have the time to go back and review the posts ...... warm thoughts to everyone :-) Time for a "cozy evening" with the girls. This week has been horrific - I hope next week will bring some hope and solutions.

Rann

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

My DSL is down for one day (maybe a day & ½) and I miss Sharon's Birthday and a thread jump? Happy belated Sharon. Yes it is dark here now.

Starting to get chilly in the evenings. - No work tomorrow, I may sleep in till 6.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

6am or 6pm? :~p

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

We are having our Indian Summer. Two slight frosts and now the weather is warming up into the high 60's and high 70's. Still chilly at night. Grass is cut, trimming done, lookingforward to theholiday weekend and hoping to get al least two wheelbarrow loads of weeds and debris collected each day/

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I did not sleep til 6 but even 5:30 was an improvement. It is of course dark and I hope the day is fair so I can get things done.

Have a good morning all.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

The sun is out, there's only a light breeze blowing and 45°F. A beautiful day and I'm going to try and enjoy it ...... :-)

Seeds - sounds like a small slice of heaven where you are. It's such a great feeling to get things accomplished and great weather doesn't hurt one bit. You're such a hard worker that you seem half your age ;-)

Dyson - good morning to you :-) Although at 5:30 it's still night ;-) lol

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Morning, All!
I've missed 3 threads! Been really busy with work, so it may take me a loooong time to catch up.
Sidney that's a gorgeous datura!

Sitting on the porch now; it's 67F and cloudy. We had nearly 4" of rain yesterday and it's supposed to be cloudy all weekend. Not much sign of fall going on here. Some leaves fallen, the caladiums have started to flop. Otherwise - you'd hardly know. Normal for us is highs about 80 and lows around 60 at the mo'.

Hope everyone is well! I've missed checking in with y'all.
Rann: I hope the coming week is much better for you.
Sharon - so sorry I missed your birthday.
Deb
(Brazilian petunia, ruellia elegans)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Glad to see you back Deb. I was afraid a big wind had blown you away.
;)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

:) Thanks, Sidney. Nope, just a crazy couple of weeks at work.

(Zone 7a)

Welcome back, Deb! Everything calming down at work?

Sidney, very pretty datura. I'm not adventurous enough to try them yet.

Adina, your mums are pretty, too. Do you have more than yellows? The calendulas are very dependable, aren't they?

Kristi and I spent the day watching TV and talking. So much to catch up on, even though we talk every week on the phone. It's better in person. We went to Tepanyaki for dinner. She'd never been. For those who don't know it, it's a japanese restaurant that serves several people at once. They cook your food in front of you and put on a show while they do it. It's lots of fun! And the food is VERY good.

It snowed a few flakes not too long ago. We're supposed to get about an inch tonight. 41º for our high. Welcome to October in Utah, Kristi...

Snaps yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

OMG, Celia, snow!? Your poor friend must be terrified, but this might make you have more girl talk !LOL Yes, I have more colors : purple, white and red.

Rann, sorry to hear your illness is causing you so much discomfort, I'm thinking of you wishing you feel better. How are your girls, have started school?

Deb, beautiful petunia.

It's been warm and sunny, 68 today too, but a cold wind in the morning. The nights are still warm, not even a frost, like I heard some of you had....brrr! It was a good day for cleaning the terraces of the paint and cement which was still on it, everywhere. I guess the workers thought they had too much paint and had to do something with it!LOL

This is a sunset seen from my house, a few nights ago.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Happy birthday, Sharon. I'm glad it was a good one.

Rann, I hope better days are coming your way soon. If things get so bad in your country that you start lacking necessities, let us know. We'll try to do something.

Unseasonably not hot. It is chilly in the house. I got out the space heater and turned it on. It got down to 46F last night.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 11, 2008
67 °F / 19 °C
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 17 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the WNW
Pressure: 29.81 in / 1009 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

High pressure developing over Nevada will cause Santa Ana winds to
develop across the area Sunday through Tuesday. The strongest of
these winds is expected to be Monday and Tuesday mornings where
gusts as high as 60 mph are possible in the mountains and 45 mph
below passes and canyons of Los Angeles and Ventura County coast
and valleys.

Early morning lows will be quite chilly in wind protected
locations where patchy frost is possible. Locations such as
interior San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties... as well as
the Antelope Valley will see temperatures dipping into the high
20s for a few hours each morning through Tuesday. Even some
coastal valley locations in Ventura and Los Angeles County such as
Ojai and Malibu canyon will drop into the mid 30s.

Windshield picture in Utah, probably between Provo and Cedar City. I can't quite read what the exit sign says. It looks like "Suighurdgle", which of course isn't anything.

Thumbnail by Kelli

somewhere else in Utah

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, clear & 76°.

What's going on? It's not dark in Dyson Land and not hot in Kelli Land!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Before 10am this morning. I had been to the double wide to check the mail, gone to the storage space & gotten my drivers license renewed. In the afternoon - I took a nap, I'll unload the car full of storage in the morning, can't set a unrealistic quota on stuff that can done in a day.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Understand that Dyson. It is an in between job. We are having incredibly nice weather. After the heat and drought all summer long. It was cool enough for pork and sauerkraut this AM with mashed potates. Then warm enough to buy a home grown watermelon this afternoon. LOL - Go figure.

Adina - what a beautiful sunset picture

(Zone 5a)

LOL - Dyson :-) Sounds like you got plenty accomplished today ;-) lol

Kelli - Thanks. It's weird to think of what you can't be without when you're used to having everything you want ..... I guess we're very spoiled that way. I went shopping yesterday and couldn't bring myself to buy more than one of each item, but bought a few things that hadn't yet run out though. I came to the conclusion that of things that aren't produced in this country breakfast cereal is something we can't be without ;-) lol Then DH went shopping today and there were a few more things he felt he didn't want to run out of anytime soon ...... Coca cola, Doritos, Microwave Popcorn and yes more Breakfast Cereal. LOL We're very sensible people aren't we? I did also buy some pasta and spelt flour and sugar, but I need to pick up some more of that next week. And chocolate - I can not believe I forgot to buy dark chocolate. Not that I think we'll actually experience a food shortage - I'm sure the IMF will have swooped in and saved us before it comes to that ;-) But the threat makes one realise what's important in life ;-) lol And it's safer to have plenty of chocolate ;-) lo

There's a weekly comedy show that sums up the main events of the week on Saturday nights on TV here ....... they did a wonderful job to bring a smile on our face this evening. They were hilarious. Now we'll all be singing "Don't Worry, Be Happy" when the next calamity hits and it won't seem so bad after all.

Deb - glad to see you again! :-)

Adina - thanks. I'm OK, don't worry. The Fibro is mostly under control - swimming has turned out to be the best kind of pain relief I've tried. I hardly ever take a pain killer. The girls are good and getting back in the routine of school, music lessons and ballet. They're very busy and I'm even busier keeping track of everything. Gorgeous sunset!

Have a good night everyone :-)

Rann

My two gems :-) Torrevieja, Spain

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The girls look lovely there on the beach Rann!
I hope everything settles down there in a hurry.
Several members of the ORVG Forum here have either Fibromyalgia or Arthritis....
so gentle hugs are the rule.... ;-)

It's been warm bordering on hot here.
83 today and 85 forecast for tomorrow and Monday.
Cool nights though... great for the Hot Tub!

Sharon I just realized I didn't answer your D40X lens question.
As it, like my D40, doesn't have an internal focusing motor you need to get Nikor AF-S or AF-I.
I have an 18-55 mm and a 55-200mm.... a 300 would be nice but the wallet said no...lol!
As you have a 10 meg format you can easily crop and enlarge to get the effect of a 400mm or a Macro. You will suffer some detail loss but.......

Well we have the backdoor finished on the FPR.
We found it in the garage when we did the roof last year.
Metal clad it just needed a new frame, paint and some TLC.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Another perfect day out today. But spent it grocery shopping and cleaning out the basement. We couldn't see the floor and had an itty bitty path to get around. lol

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We framed all day .....then watched the Ohio State Football game this afternoon/evening....

We're just about done bumping out the walls.... though we decided to add new windows so....
the two you see here are toast...
The wood you see inside the frame is where the closet outside wall will be.
Yes we added a closet and the windows will have plant shelves.
Gotta save space in a 9' x 16' room.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Oh Ric that looks so great.
I so want a 9 x 7 closet.
The door looks great too.
;)
Hope I haven't shown this one already.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the closet will be about 6' wide x 15" deep... so more of a pantry than a closet I guess...lol!
We converted the side bedroom upstairs to a closet a few years ago.
It has worked out very well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72057594076645965/

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Thanks Ric :-) The door looks great! And the rest does too ;-)

Sidney – very pretty coleus. Before I met you I never knew there were so many different colors and varieties :-)

It’s cloudy this morning, breezy and looks like it could rain. 43°F.

Hope you have a great day everyone!

Rann

The girls had such a blast at the beach. Absolutely loved it. Hildur Eva was one and a half the last time we were in Spain so she was discovering the beach all over again :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 7a)

Wow, Ric! That is awesome work. I like it a lot.

Kelli, when were you in Utah? Was it during your last trip? Those are definitely Utah! LOL

Sidney, my coleus are blooming, too. I've given up trying to keep them pinched.

Rann, your girls are such beauties! Fun trips you've had.

We have a high of 38º today. Currently it is 34º and I think my MGs are toast.

This is pic was taken a few minutes ago. Halloween tombstones on the front lawn.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, Clear &

Thumbnail by Dyson
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! It's been a fall-ish week end here. Very cool nights (in the 40's) & warm (low 70's) during the days. A wonderful Indian Summer! :D I've taken a few pics, but need to take some more... A lot of the leaves are falling off w/out turning...so I'm having to really look for some color.
At Dublin...
Clear: 72°F
Feels like: 72°F
Barometer: 30.5 in
Dewpoint: 52°
Humidity: 50%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 11 mph ENE
Sunrise: 7:29 AM
Sunset: 6:49 PM
UV Index: 6 High

Kelli, Love the Utah pics! :D Thanks! ;) I have a question...does my little Aloe (that bloomed) have a baby on the bloom stem? It certainly looks like it to me! :D
Ric, You have done a great job already...can't wait to see when you finish! :) w/ a 'monster' closet/pantry! :-O
Deb! Glad to have you back! I was getting worried! I have been thinking about you...Bridge Day is this coming week end! They are expecting over 200,000 people there!
Celia! You have Snow! :D
Rann, Great pics of Spain! Especially w/ the girls in them! ;) Hope everything starts getting better there soon! I cannot imagine having everything imported to sustain life, but I hear ya on the chocolate! ;)
Adina, What a Gorgeous!Sunset! Wow!!
Sharon? Every time I look here & don't see a post from you...I think about Gary.
Marsue? Where are you? :)
Sidney, what a Beautiful! Datura! Gorgeous! My Coleus are starting to 'fizzle', but yours are as pretty as ever! ;-)

The answer to the trivia is...A
A growing degree-day is defined as a day on which the average daily temperature is above a base temperature. For corn the base temperature is 50 degrees.

Today's trivia is...
A line that shows the wind flow pattern is called what?
a) Isobar
b) Isoline
c) Streamline
d) Wind-line

Thumbnail by music2keep

Warm but windy. Sunny out still though we have rain coming in tonight. Rain all day tomorrow.

(Zone 3b)

32 and snowing heavily.
Somewhere I "lost " you all~nice to get back and catch up.

Kiska, so cold and snow already? Is it usual?
Great pics everyone! It's been very warm today, 72 and sunny...good day for arranging the plants in my GH. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, it was almost dark when I stopped and didn't even finished.
I took a few pics of my blooms yesterday.
Rainlily.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Hanging geraniums.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Oxalis.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This one I don't know what it is.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 3b)

Adina~your flowers are gorgeous~ bet it seems as if you've lived there a long time now.
Yes, this is the time for winter~ususally by the end of October, it's quite cold and frozen.

Celia, I was in Utah when we went to and from Yellowstone.

Joey, yes, the aloe is producing a baby on the flower stalk. I think I've only seen that happen once here and I don't remember if it rooted or not. For me, they most often send up offsets from the roots.

Windy and dry. There is a fire burning in the Angeles National Forest. Ric probably has a better idea of exactly where this is than I do. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081012/ap_on_re_us/wildfires

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 12, 2008
71 °F / 22 °C
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 10 °F / -12 °C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s
Pressure: 29.99 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

These are pictures in the Virgin River canyon in Arizona (when coming home from Yellowstone). It looks like this is probably the same rock as the Grand Canyon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumbnail by Kelli

This one almost makes me dizzy.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The bad thing about being away for a couple of days is that it is so hard to catch up! LOL We all had a great time at our Mid-South RU--LOTS of everything: good fellowship, fun, laughter, food and plants! DH went with me and there were 4 other "menfolk" who were there, too, so he didn't feel like a fish out of water. We put some names and faces together and met up with others whom we had previously met. It was a great time.(I think I said that before.)
Joey: now you know where I have been--LOL! I don't have a clue on the trivia.
Deb: welcoome back! We wondered where you have been. That Brazilian Petunia is aptly named--such a fiery color!
Kiska: that is a great photo of the different colored trees--nice contrast in the leaf colors! I can't imagine the howling winds and the snow this early in the season--but I guess it isn't early for Alaska. You should have recorded the howling winds--then you could play it back for the "trick-or-treaters" on Halloween--do you celebrate Halloween up there?
Dyson: looks as if your temps are very close to what we are having these days.
Ric: that looks like a wonderful closet--lots of storage there!
Adina: thank Duke for the puppy "kisses"--LOL Your flowers are so pretty! I've not seen an oxalis exactly like that--how about a photo of the plant. I would like to see if it is similar to what I know of as an oxalis.
se_eds: so glad your nice weather is continuing--enjoy it while it lasts!
Sidney: the chili sounds good but, IMO, it still a bit too warm,temperature-wise, to be eating chili. I really like chili when the weather is cold. Another gorgeous coleus--but then, I'm not surprised. :o))
Kelli: I enlarged your photo of the sign and I couldn't tell what it said, either. Too fuzzy when enlarged a lot. I'm enjoying the photos of your vacation.
Rann: I'm enjoying your vacation photos, too. However, I'm so sorry about the problems there in Iceland as well as about the fibromyalgia. Selma and Hildur Eva are beautiful, as usual. They both have the sweetest faces--like their Mother!
Marylyn: the thing about cleaning house before company comes is that you usually have to do it again after they leave! LOL
Sharon: where are you?

Currently: 75º and cloudy; UV Index low (haven't seen that in a while); Wind out of the E at 9 mph;Humidity 71%; Pressure 30.15 and steady;Dew Point at 64ºf;Visibility 10 miles; Tonight: Low 65º; 10% chance of rain

Here's a link to my Picasa website where you can see some pics of the buildings and grounds where we had our RU.
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/ExteriorPhotosMostlyOfTerryeSAndRaySPlace?authkey=i78axoHMHlY#

This message was edited Oct 12, 2008 6:12 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.