Canna #5

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm glad someone on here can bowl. I am terrible at it. LOL

I'm sure the veggie turkey didn't want you eating it so it hid from you. LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha ha ! oh bowling sounds fun - I may have to dig out my bowling trophy for christmas display.

we had a nice day, in laws were in town, went to some wineries on Saturday and drove to San Francisco to play around yesterday..... glad to be back on a regular schedule today.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

How Far Are you from San Francisco?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

it's about a 40-45 minute drive on the weekends, it was a lovely sunny day. We crossed the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito as well.

Altho DH had a meeting in San Fran on a work day - was over 2 hours the traffic was so bad!!!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I use to live there on 2nd street across from golden gate park then in mountain view

You're in California Red. LOL. Traffic is always bad, especially in coastal areas like San Fran. LOL.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Every one Grow Old In Here And Die? Paul

No but I sure feel like it. LOL.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

not dying on the outside at least.....I miss summer.....

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Its Summer here all the time LOL

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I didn't but the 19 degrees the other night sure ensured all my cannas did! Burrr... just brown stalks now... I still had some blooming! Darn it... guess that is the end of them till spring. time to cut them down and mulch. Temps back into the 50's and 60's during the day... no worries about the ground freezing... all snows went south of me. Not even any rain here. We really need that. The city stocked a local pond with trout for fishing.. all died within hours because of a yellow algae bloom... it only grows in water that is too brackish or mineral content is too high... happens when we don't get enough rain. Guess no one though about testing the water first.

My cannas are mulched just with their leaves and the stalks on top of that. The ones next to the house got leaves too since those aren't out in the open. Luckily I brought some cannas in so I don't have to worry about not having any next year if these don't make it.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

my cannas are done for the year too - but the roses are still blooming. Got the plumerias in the garage.

Is everyone ready for Christmas? I baked all day yesterday, the kids had sooo many cookies they didn't hardly touch their lunch or dinner, I'll try to get something healthier in their bellies today.

the dogs in the yard behind us keep digging under our fence and running into our yard - I keep chasing them back under, then try to block the hole. However, it is their new "fun game" - I can't catch the neighbors home to get them to block their side. little rascals!

I'm mostly ready for Christmas. Still have to do a bit more shopping and get stuff mailed this week. Then we are planning on doing something with my brothers but haven't made definite plans yet.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

here is an update on part of my slope - I can't remember if I posted this. But I'm done until Springtime for now.

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop

That looks great!!!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

OK, been gone for a while:
First Trop, a tofuturkey?!?!? YUK!!!
Second: I stayed in Frisco for nearly a month waiting for a ship. Interesting stay, great bar next to the hotel, small, dark and persons of questionable morals. :-) Live there, HE double toothpicks no! LOL
Third: Paul, grow old- yes, die- not yet! I still have to visit you for lobster rolls!!
Fourth: Tammis and Pep, how goes the job hunting? Hope you are working, because I want presents for christmas. ;-)
Fifth: My garden has been done for nearly a month now. Sunday, we had a record low of -18* (last was -17* in 1906), and Monday was a record high-low, I think 13*. Had a warming trend of mid 30s today. Had an 18 hour day yesterday driving across this cold and snow battered state, so spent my day in and out of coma today. Have miracously recouped, so am posting here.
Sixth: Red, holy poo! That looks great. Can't wait to see it grow and fill in. About the dogs- you could put some of that border trim along the base of fence, then dig in some larger rocks (15"+) as a back border. Or, dig a trend about 6-8" deep and fill with concrete. Help keep the mutts, and grass or weeds from neighbors yard coming into yours. Finished off, it will look good exposed, or cover with mulch!

Well, time to go fill an empty belly, and no, it won't be anything tofu, more likely ordered pizza! Yummy! LOL

As they used to say in even the old movies, even 'White Christmas', Happy Holidays. Paul

No job yet. I'm still looking and applying where possible.

Cold here too. Temps been going into single digits and we have snow and ice on the ground with more ice on the way Thurs. Luckily my 4WD was fixed yesterday. Mainly cause the heater core went out in my dad's truck and he about froze to death in it. My heater works too well sometimes. LOL

Paul, you send me your addy before Christmas and you might get something. LOL

No job here either.. money will hold out through january... temps have been up and down... got down to 19 a few nights ago but was in the 50's today... 47 right now. No white stuff here.. very dry.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh brrrrrr to you all !

Paul it was great to hear from you - the weather sounds terribly brutal. I have been blocking the doggies with large bricks, and extra edgers I had laying around, so far so good- I haven't seen any "evidence" that they've had another run through the yard.

Good luck with the job searches, someone will be smart enough to snap up you two hard workers.

Happy Holidays!

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

For any of you that want to save money on your spring cannas, check out the horn canna co op interest thread.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

huh? I thought the co-ops were over and done ?

Nope, they were reopened here a while back with conditions.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

HEY YOU !!!!!!!!!!! Happy Holidays, hope everyone has a great day with family and friends and some delicious food!!

Tracy

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

you to paul

Merry Christmas to everyone on here!!!

Wow!! No posts since Christmas eve. lol

I hope everyone had a great New Year!! I stayed up til midnight, watch Dick Clark, then went to bed. lol. I was pretty much bored the whole time.

So did everyone have a great Christmas?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Happy New Yearrrrrr

Hey Paul!! What are you up too?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

nothing

me either except I'm hungry again so I'm gonna heat up the last of the apple crisp. LOL

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I planted my Poatoes the other day

Grrrr.... Our ground has been frozen solid til just recently. And our road and driveway were covered in ice.

Here's a pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh that looks cold Pepper! Potatoes already ? what kind did you plant ?

I need to start getting some raised beds together for veggies...my dh promised to help (he doesn't really do any garden stuff, so I'm happy for the help)

I was in bed before midnight - but my husband took the girls in the backyard and kicked soccer balls onto the roof to celebrate the new year ??!!!### until someone hit a window. strange way to celebrate if you ask me.

Spent the day painting the kitchen and tv room yesterday.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Red Pontiacs

Those red potatoes are good. If I had a place to plant them I would but I don't know where I would put them. lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

...yum...

late happy holidays!!

Red, you really worked hard on that slope, it looks great!!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Trop - Happy New Year ! A good soul sent me a beautiful bevy of plants to put in that slope - I can't wait until spring to see eveything really come to life.

I haven't had Red Pontiacs - but will definitely try some spuds this year - has anyone tried seed potatoes?

I've never tried growing potatoes before but I think I might be able to find a spot this year. Maybe. lol

I spent New Years on the couch.. the FLU.. the real thing.. never want that again. Went to the store today.... first time out in 10 days.. going to take me a while to get my strength back. At least I was able to watch others on TV having fun ringing in the new year.

Stay warm everyone.. was in the 70's here today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.