Canna #5

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Phicks requested a new thread so here we are. :~)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Here I am...lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

me too .... altho I'm curious as to why you sit around with stuffed snakes around your necK? And... I'm assuming you had some sort of clothing on. -wait, you don't have to answer that!

LOL!!!

Finally got my brakes fixed yesterday. My dad threatened to poke a hole in the tires several times out of frustration but I wouldn't let him. lol. I happen to like my mud terrain tires. But that's fixed, now we have to find parts to fix my hubs. Apparently one of my hubs was bad so we have to replace it. But we are missing a part so I currently don't have 4 wheel drive. I sincerely hope we get it fixed before winter hits cause my truck can't handle ice and snow very well in 2 wheel drive. A lesson I learned the hard way. lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

How soon does it start snowing/ ice?

It rained here for the first time in 7 months, I'm so excited ! I've been able to get some plants in my slope after laying a soaker hose down.. so much easier to dig. I really need to get some mulch down - with the rain I'm going to have a million weed seeds sprout :(

It can start snowing this month if it gets cold enough. It has before. So it's from this month to April at the latest though usually the snow ends in March. We have had winters though where we didn't get anything til January. Just depends on the weather patterns. lol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

86 here

Too hot. LOL. This time of year I don't want it any hotter than 80 although if it's cooler that's even better.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you have alot of stuffed animals - or just the snake?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Lots and Lots

Including himself. hahaahha

Oh, more bad news for my truck. I had my fenders redone last year to keep the rust at bay and my dad just told me that I have to take it back and have it redone. It's bubbling up already. Now I just have to get a job so I can get it done.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

It was 52* in Kremmling today. That's up in the mountains, about halfway between Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs. Had a lite dusting of snow on the passes (around 11000' plus). Cold weather in the coming forcast, with a high of 69* tomorrow, with a low of 35*.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh yeah, pep. Sorry to hear about your truck. The rusting fenders, are you talking about the wheel wells?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Pep - I hope you do find a job right away - whoever it is will be lucky to have such a hard worker.

Paul, brrrrrrr, that sounds cold - what are you doing in Kremmling?

We're 80's here for the week/lows 50's - I've got to post some pictures. .. I'm fighting whether or not to plop down some grass seed - talk me out of it Trop !

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

nice and cool today 75 and just got a sprinkle of rain... ahhh... need some rain.

Tammie

sorry to hear about the truck repairs.. seems it is always something doesn't it?

Yeah, it's the wheel wells. Had them fixed last year and it was supposed to last several years. Oh well. I'll get to it before year is up...I hope.

Sometime this week we are supposed to have a couple days with highs in the 40s. I need to start getting all my tropicals ready to bring in soon. The only non hardy plant not coming in is my star jasmine. I am gonna bury it in leaves and make it become hardy. lol. I don't want to dig it up. As it is I have a succelent basket, spurge, coleus, blue hibiscus, blue potato bush, cannas, ee's, caladiums and a few others to bring in. I need a greenhouse. LOL.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

You totally need a greenhouse! Where do you keep all that?

Ugh, my post didn't go thru. Gotta get this computer ironed out.

I keep the plants outside during the season but in winter they have to come out. Some of them are new this year since I won't be getting new plants from work. I need to keep cuttings for next year. But they will be scattered about a 800 sq ft house with 3 people living in it. lol. Plus alot of stuff.

The bulbs that need dark and cool will disappear in a back corner of the beasment. The succelent basket will be dismantled cause it's a wire basket lined in peat. Some of the plants are hardy and some aren't. Hardy ones are going in a pot that will stay outside for the winter. The hib will come inside where it's warm and so will my coleus, spurge and tropical passion vine. The coleus and spurge will share a pot. The hib will share with the vine if I can convince it to live after moving it. So that will eliminate pots there. The hard part is keeping them alive. And not getting dirt everywhere. lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Red, if you're getting that desperate that you're considering grass, go buy some seeds...chamomile, forget-me -nots, mints...you can walk on them (when established)..but you really don't have to mow

you need some cannas or something? lol,, that dirt looked pretty rough, but my gosh Red, you could be raking rocks outta there forever...some more xeric plants would look good in there (agaves, salvias) even if it's just temporary, and the more you dig, the easier it will eventually get.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

That dirt is rough ! : (

I have manged to plant some plants - mostly xeric. ... the only reason I'm thinking about a small area of grass is so we don't track so much dirt in, but you're right there are other better options. thanks Trop, I knew you'd talk me out of it.

Digging out their is much more satisfying than stripping the darn floor (I put a bad quality sealer on it, now i need to remove and redo with a penetrating sealer- ugh I hate it!) I'd hire Pepper to help me scrape it off if she was closer.

LOL. And I would be glad to help.

Xeric plants are the best for now. Plant lots of them then slowly add tropicals and all the others. As for something to walk on try creeping thyme. Trop's suggestions would work too. Or I could send you a succelent groundcover that you can't kill. lol.

This whole forum is really quiet. I don't think I have ever seen it sit this long without posts.

Here's a pic for you.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Hey... y'all are still alive.. was wondering!

LOL. Alive and kicking. Still job hunting too. Taking breaks to be on here and go outside and take pics of foilage.

I've ben off for 3 weeks .. back injury.. don't know if I still have a job.. guess i will find out mext week...

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

... sorry to hear that Tammie, I hope you're feeling better. Scary times right now.

Pepper, thanks for the bright cheery picture ! How is your job search going? I have been busy getting ready for my brother to visit (with his family) - I'm so excited !

Job search is going but still don't have anything yet. I'm going out today to ask around at a couple more places. I'm using that as my excuse to go out and take pics of the fall foilage. lol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Pep Am Still Looking For a Maid

Out of that business and you live too far away. LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

pep...how about a grounds keeper?...

Thought about it but it requires too many skills I don't have. Plus I haven't mowed or don'e anything like that in several years. I would have to relearn that at home and we are getting into winter so it's too late for this year.

Of course winter is coming.. my cannas are actually starting to look good and growing GREEN for the first time this year.. not crispy brown! I have new shoots coming up out of the ground! Don't have the heart to tell them they are a little late.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

they think it's spring !

LOL. Alot of my plants are perking up too despite the mild frosts and cool weather. Even my peppers are extremely happy. My tomatoes bit the dust a long time ago. lol. Only plant I couldn't leave outside was my Blue Hibiscus. It doesn't like cold weather. lol.

My cannas are still going strong. Still blooming and all that. lol

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey guys! My cannas are dug up and put away for winter. Everything that isn't meant to overwinter, is dead. Had a couple of nights in the 20's. Been off for a bit due to getting my butt kicked at a new job. Easy work but long days. Concrete (construction) had taken a big dump, and I went to school to get my class A drivers license. Well, after almost being completely broke, got a job delivering gas and diesel to the mountain areas. So long as people continue to use gas, and the oil rigs need diesel, I'll have job security. Also finding guys dumb enough to drive over Loveland Pass in the winter!!! Pic's of the route sometime in the near future. It is beautiful!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Winter??

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Well I'm glad you have a new job with security.... this recession makes anxious . Wow you are cold, I was just saying yesterday how cold it was in Oregon for Halloween and usually raining of course. I always made James take the kids round. It's like spring here, 80's/48 ... I'm going to get the last things in the ground some various bulbs, Japanese maples to get the roots going.

My brother and his fam were here these past 2 weekends (they visited Disneyland during the week) we had fun, and a little too much wine. :D

Have a great Sunday !

Been busy here. Still no job but am still looking.

Been getting potted plants winterized for the house and am trying to figure out where to put my succelent basket cause it's all peat moss in a wire basket. Now am just pretty much waiting for a heavy freeze to knock the leaves off my cannas so I can bring them in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.