Jacksonville Zoo Tour

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

I thought it might attract more attention if the zoo tour had its own site. We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/907098/

This message was edited Sep 29, 2008 11:48 AM

Thumbnail by youngershirl
Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

The zoo opens at 9:00 AM. Here's the zoo website where you can find all the info about ticket prices, etc. If we get about 15 - 20 people together that don't already have memberships at the zoo, we might be able to get a group price for admission. [HYPERLINK@www.jaxzoo.org]

Please note that I will be leading a botanical tour, and we will mostly bypass the animal exhibits. I can point out the best routes to take to see all the animals for those that want to stay on after we finish the tour (the zoo maps are practically impossible to follow). We might consider having lunch at one of the two zoo restaurants (Tex-Mex food in Range of the Jaguar; or hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers at the Trout River Grill, about $6.00 price for main dish at either). What might be more enjoyable, though, would be to bring picnic/pot luck dishes and make use of the picnic grounds at the south end of the zoo parking lot after the tour. That would also provide the opportunity for the inevitable plant swap. LOL

I can limit the tour to whatever time frame the group would like. It takes about 2 hours for a good, relaxed review to discuss all the gardens and some of the more interesting plants, but we can make it shorter, if you like. The zoo provides motorized carts and wheelchairs for rent for those that might feel there would be too much walking.

If I can get my garden organized enough (and that is HUMONGOUS "if" because a machete, literally, would be needed for any group tour at the moment), we could come down to my place (only two miles south of the zoo) after the tour. But that might be too much plant tours for one day and we could save that for another time when I could more easily host a get-together such as Shirley provided yesterday But, I'll leave it up to the group to discuss and decide what you would most enjoy.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm in!!

Donna

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

I think getting a big container of fried chicken with everybody bringing a side of some sort. I can check around for prices on the chicken and let you all know if that is what you all decide to do. Also, if we get to the zoo at 9am, the weather will still be cool, and we would finish our tour about lunch time. What do you think ? Saturday, October 11th is the date of choice.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2008 3:46 PM

Lancaster, OH(Zone 6a)

Saturday October 11th has been marked on my calander and with all fingers crossed I will be there.. I can bing several bags of chips for a side to go with chicken... I wont ned to be cunted for the group addmision since we have a membership already.
Donna & Max C

I've marked it on my calendar too.

I'd like to bring some plants to give away since I didn't bring any to the get together. But first I'd like to know if anyone is interested in doing this? I'm already getting some together. I should have a good bunch to give away, trade or whatever. However, if no one is interested in it I'll just wait for the next meeting.

Donna

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Donna,

Jeremy did mention a plant swap. I was told you don't get a bunch of gardeners together and not expect a plant swap. So with that said, I for one say go ahead and bring them. I am sure others will do the same.

Shirley

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

We are in if I'm not working. Schedule for next month isn't out as yet, so I will have to play it by ear.

I could actually get a few plants together this time. Granted, my selection is still very small because the garden is still so young. But maybe I can come up with something.

Rhonda

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Did someone mention doing a recording of this? If you do, I'd love a copy. No way I'll make it to FL in Oct. Work sure does get in the way of fun sometimes!!!!!

Amen to that! These 60 hour work weeks can get really long. Especially since I only had off Sunday and had to get the laundry and housework done. Get the fudge made and make it over to Shirley's house. But I did it, I have learned how to work really fast and to still have time for play and the garden. And, making some really nice friends.

Yes, I'm going to do my best to video tape it.... let's hope we can get Jeremy to speak loud!!!! LOL!!!!

I'll run it through my machines, dress it up a bit, perhaps even include some photos from our just previous get together if the folks who took the pictures don't mind....

I have some snazzy stuff here and can do a lot with video, audio and photos.

Donna

Jacksonville, FL

I will hopefully be able to make it the 11th and will bring some plants to swap and a side dish to go with the chicken.
Will someone be bring a cooler to keep drinks and refrigerated foods cool while we do the tour?? Glad you can do the video for us Donna!

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning,

It looks like we have a few people who are interested in our Zoo tour. Jeremy had mentioned in a previous post if we have 15 -20 people we might possibly be able to get a group discount. Something to think about. The tour itself will take roughly 2 hours. After the tour we will meet to have lunch. The plan for lunch will be fried chicken (unless I hear otherwise) and whatever side dishes you all would like to bring. Also, bring something to drink, tea, sodas, water, whatever suits your fancy. We need coolers with ice to keep things cold and for ice for the drinks. So if you have coolers and are willing to bring them, let me know. I will check on chicken prices and let you all know what I can get. We will split the cost per person with those attending.

The zoo opens at 9 am. I think we should meet at the zoo at that time. The weather will still be cool (hopefully) and will be about lunch time when we finish.

I think there are about six of us that are interested so far, so check your calendars and let me know if you are planning to attend.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Shirley

I hope to be able to come but it is still up in the air.

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Gee Wren, we will keep our fingers crossed. : )

All of the above sounds great to me. See you on Oct. 11! I will be bringing a lot more plants to share. I only brought a few Sunday because I thought it was just a "meet, greet, and eat," but my house is nearby so I can use the old van instead of the Mustang and load it up with extra plants I've grown from seed and propagated.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

I've got good news Jeremy!!! Found the trailer with the musical note and talked to the gal that lives there. She say you can have all of them and anything else in the front, she wants that bed cleaned out in trade. She is also looking for a Cat's whiskers if anyone has one. I pulled that mystery vine out of the tree--did you check out the pictures for an ID?? The pods are more flat than tubular.

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr
Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Just keeping this in the loop.

Hi, Linda. I sent a reply to your D-mail just now. I'm very glad you made the arrangements for me to get some of the Clerodendrum incisum (musical notes plant)! I'll be happy to clean out the woman's plant beds in exchange for the plants. I have Cat's Whiskers (Orthosiphon aristatus) which I will divide or find one on sale, hopefully, to give her.

I have NO idea what that weird vine may be. You should post some photos in the DG Tree and Plant ID Forum, or start a separate thread in the Florida Forum. It is so distinctive that I'm sure someone will recognize it. If you post in the DG ID Forum, they will probably ask for closeups of the leaves and pods.

Jeremy

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning all, October 11th is just around the corner, don't forget to let me know if you plan on attending the botanical tour of the zoo. If we only have 4 or 5 who are interested, perhaps we should think about eating at one of the eateries at the zoo. What do you all think?

I'm in! Doesn't make much difference where or what we eat to me.

Donna

Jacksonville, FL

So far I think the following will be coming. Please post if your name is not on the list or if your name is on the list and you cannot attend.
Jaxflagardener
Youngershirl
Donna AZ
Ladybarber
Wren
Irishsoul
Mistressgardnr
I can make enough baked chicken leg quarters to feed about 10 people and do a pasta salad if you still want to have a picnic lunch.

Linda

We can all bring a covered dish to share, or we each could just bring our own meal in a bag or cooler. No need for you to be stuck with all the feeding duties, Shirley. I think we will be happier with food we bring ourselves. The Tex-Mex fare in the main restaurant is mediocre at best and the restaurant with the hamburgers, etc., can be very noisy if there happens to be a lot of kids in there (and there usually is a lot of kids).

Plus, we can swap plants easier in the picnic area.

Jeremy

OK.... are there carts? Carts to carry our plants from and to our car? I'm gonna need a cart or something.....

I like the sack lunch idea. Keep it simple. I think I'll be too busy with other things to worry much about eating any how.

Donna

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Great input. Maybe we should keep it simple and have everybody just bring a sack lunch. That works for me, because it's easy and we are only responsible for ourselves. Linda, you are too good for your own good. Like Jeremy said you don't need to be responsible for feeding duty. You are so thoughtful, but you have enough on your plate.

I have a childs wagon I can bring. It's not very big, but atleast it would be of some help. Let me know if you all want me to bring it.

Okay, I guess unless we hear any different, sack lunch it is.

Jeremy, I am really looking forward to the tour. Let's just pray for a beautiful day.

Everybody have a great day!

Shirley

Thanks again Linda for the offer, you are so sweet.

Sack lunch works for me. There won't be any carts available, so the wagon may help; or after lunch, we could park our vehicles close together and do the plant swaps/giveaways in the parking lot. That might be easier than toting plants to and fro.

Jeremy

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Sounds like a plan to me!

Ok on sack lunch. I do not know if I will have any plants. May be able to take a few epi cuttings.
Sandy

Jacksonville, FL

I don't mind at all doing the baked chicken! I can do it the nite before and put together a pasta salad while they are baking. Then others can provide a side dish, coolers, ice, drinks and paper products. How far from the parking area is the picnic area? Perhaps we can all bring chairs and "tailgate" in the parking area if it is too far? I can bring extra chairs if need be. We might get enough attention to get some new members interested in our "North Florida DG group? By the way--I have been thinking (I know--that is dangerous for me!!) that they have the "South Florida Galloping Gardeners" We might consider thinking of a name for our unique group!! And I personally think we have more fun!!! We could have North/South contests at times to have alot of fun between all of us in FL. Let's discuss any thoughts you might have. I went to St Aug to do a brug trade today and have been busy since I got back potting up a bunch of cuttings!! I took 30 and came home with 40!!! Rooting some in water and some in potting mix! Now gotta go drag hoses and water since Mother nature is not cooperating with me this week. And clean up the porch which I have used as a potting area--what a mess!!!
Linda

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

I probably won't have any either, unless somebody wants a Philipine Violet.

You are getting as bad as me.

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish I was even in the same league as you. : )

The massage was for Linda. she is as bad about collecting burgs as I am with epis. I am up to 150 epi plants so I think I am leading the race.
Sandy

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

I like the tailgating idea as long as it is not blazing hot. If it is too hot, then I will need to find some shade. The sun and I are not the best of friends. I like the idea of giving the group a name, will have to ponder that for awhile. Keep those wheels turning Linda. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Orange Park, FL(Zone 9a)

Gotcha! Well, I still wish I was in your league. Ha-ha

No need to be concerned about bringing plants. I will be able to haul up enough for everyone. LOL

The far south end of the parking lot is immediately adjacent to the picnic area. If we get there early, those parking places will most likely be available because people tend to park near the zoo entrance rather than out in the far ends of the lot. We shouldn't have too much of a problem of traversing the short distance from vehicles to the picnic area, if we get those parking places. When we all congregate at 9 AM, the walk to the zoo entrance will give me an opportunity to point out the award-winning butterfly garden at the Education Center that one of the zoo volunteers put together. The butterfly garden is outside of the main zoo area, so most people don't know it is there.

Please feel free to invite friends, relatives, neighbors, others that might enjoy the tour (at least, it is o.k. with me). The more the merrier, I say. I've led zoo tours with as many as 50 people. It gets a little difficult to keep everyone together, herded at the same pace, and huddled around the same plant, but it is possible.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

Is the picnic area near the Ed Center?? I know that area well from the meets when Chuck was the Hort Dir and some of us added to that garden around it!
Wren--I now have 168 different cultivars of brugs if they all survive winter! Ya gotta get a few more epis to catch up!! LOL!!! I have been fighting broadmites the last few weeks so may lose some of my double/triple brugs that I love!! I am NOT getting anymore!!! Trust me!!!
Jeremy--check d-mail. Is next Wed OK?

This message was edited Oct 1, 2008 3:00 PM

If you are facing the Education Center at the zoo, the picnic area is to your far left, adjacent to the service road that goes back into the facilities area of the zoo.

Next Wednesday should be fine for the Clerodendrum run.

Jeremy

You win but I am working on my wish list and it is already over a hundred. Do you thing we need to start a help group.
Sandy

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

FYI-

I got this from my cousin.

One of my co-workers was attacked last night (9/28) in the Target parking lot on Roosevelt. She had loaded her items into her car, returned the cart, and upon entering her vehicle, saw the reflection of a man running at her car. She tried to slam the door shut but it was too late. He jumped in at her shouting at her to move over. At this, my friend began to fight as hard as she could. She had mace on her keychain and sprayed that at him. She stabbed him with her keys and hit the horn several times too but no one responded to help. The criminal eventually (thank god!) got back out of the car and my friend drove off as quickly as she could. Luckily, my friend was not harmed- just sore from fighting and really shaken by the whole thing. She has filed a police report and spoken with people at Target today regarding the incident. She said Target was very helpful and responsive to improving security measures.

If I sent this to you it is because I know you or people you are close to go there often. Please be sure you are very careful any time you are getting in and out of your car! My friend was parked in a lighted area close to the entrance- not way off in a darker area, so please take as many precautions as you can.

Please be aware of your surroundings and stay safe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.