Science Or Sneaky? Garlic & Onion Taste Test

Sweets, (fereal) insists garlic and onions flavor the eggs. Many of the poultry books and websites say don't feed them.
So I was thinking I would run a little eggsperament.
I keep my Hens in three different paddocks, black Cochins,white Cochins and Brahmas. What if somehow a little garlic and onion got in the Brahma food? I would be able to do a taste test as I alway make breakfast on weekends. I wonder if Sweets would notice?
Would it be harmfull to Hens who have never had garlic or onion?
Would feeding it 7 consecutive days be enough?
How would I feed it?
Last is this just a bad idea or scientific curiousity?

Lodi, United States

I think it is a splendid idea. If they are eating greens anyway it shouldn't cause problems. Wild garlic would be perfect. The only objection I have ever heard of is the taste thing--and a lot of people say they have never noticed it. I love garlic--maybe the eggs will taste better.

It would just be nice to settle the matter here in my home. I have no opinion. My point to Sweets is we've never fed garlic, onion or spicy foods, so how could we know.
OK thats one thumbs up for taste test.
Ill tally it up after morning hunny do's.
If no one thinks I'm being too sneaky, I'll get my white lab coat on and start with the evening meal.
Might even toss em the left over lasagna from tonight.(after I've had my lunch of course).
chuckle chuckle (whoowhahaha, bad,bad,bad, Im so bad)

Its all in the interest of science

(Zone 7b)

I want to know this i've heard for years about the no garlic and onions.
I have even heard my granny say PHEW that hen must have been eatin wild onions cause i can taste it in them eggs.

Let us Know Seth and SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH i won't tell a soul nobodys watching anyway LOL

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

how much to keep the secret?

(Zone 7b)

You have to talk to Seth I'm settlin on just knowing the outcome.

Clarkson, KY

Any one with allergies won't taste a thing regardless...

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I can tell you my babiez LOVE garlic! I was peeling some to plant and they started going crazy for the skins.... so I offered them a piece.. they at it up and went nutz for more..
I'm feeding it to them.. they are not of laying size yet, So I'm no help for the taste test.. but I believe animals know what they need in their diet..
Anyway, who doesn't like garlic chicken? LOL

Oh I'm sooo sorry..

Harmony, My grandma said the same. I too would really like to know. We are allways tossing leftovers that have garlic, onion or both. These could go out to the chickens, why waste good food.

Jordan! Shamefull behavior, this is all in the interest of science. Fact or young lovely wifes tale.

No allergies to worry about.

So far thats really only two thumbs up.

(Psssst, Jordan Do you like Cochins?)

(Zone 7b)

I love cochins the partridge ones are beautiful (I have blue splash)

(Zone 7b)

Seth have you been working on getting some pics I'm still waiting.....................

By the way i have an affliction where I see in my mind everything i read or somebody says and everytime i see your name or type it I see * Seth Green *

Partridge Cochins are lovely birds. This is the origional breed we used to show. My favorite hen (Dixie Girl) Is a partridge. She's about seven years old now and lives with a bunny (Hop) off our bedroom garden(SPOILED!). She's the last of that flock.

Trying, But forehead is getting sore from repeatedley hitting desk top.

Green, very interresting.
Vegitarian, organic food fannatic, planet concious, recycle, gardener,ancestors country-very green!,member multiple groups/organizations with green in the name,have gree eyed girl, green jeep ,geen tracktor, favorite color? green,..... very interesting indeed! Are you known to have phsycic powers.(wish I had spell check).

(Zone 7b)

Did i spell Seth Green right is it Greene instead all i know is my minds eye see's him when i see your name.

Yes partridge are pretty birds I've had black, blue, mottled, white and buff oh duh and partridge.
I only have the blue splash right now.

(Zone 7b)

Green is my favorite color and I'm irish and i like the actor Seth Green

No not psychic but i see everything i read or type or things people say to me.

If someone says my name is barbara i see barbara walters you say green jeep i see a green jeep.

Your name is Seth i see Seth Green.

Clarksburg, MO

If this has turned to a I Love Cochins thread, I'M IN!!!!! I love them. They look like chickens with pants on, LOL. I have babies about 1 1/2 months old. Blue, Black and Splash. Can't wait for them to get big.

Sheila

P.S. Can;t wait to find out the garlic/onion conclusion.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

you have my thumbs up on the test, my birds get onions and garlic, but so do I.

Three thumbs up!
If no one thinks it's in bad taste (LOL) to play a little harmless prank on my girl then out go's the lasagna. Remember she's very firm on the spicy foods for chickens thing.(They happen to be mine by the way)

Sheila
Please post pic's on brag thread would love to see your youngsters. My family has been breeding them now for three generations. My Flocks are from the origional family stock, imported to CA from Pennsylvania. I get allot of pleasure in keeping up this tradition, as my relatives have sold much of the old property and no longer raise chickens.

(Zone 7b)

I had a little black cochin hen and she had the longest feathers on her feet one day she walked by my DH and he said {{"HEY" You gettin your pajamas nasty}} he said they looked like they was wearin footie pajammers as he calls them

O.K. in five minutes the project is underway. At 1:35 p.m. my time, I will be adding one 8"x4" square heavily garliced leftover lassagna to one cup layer crumble, served on a bed of leftover ceasar salad with oyster shell croutons.
My "particepants" will be 9 Brahma Hens and for no good reason1 Brahma Roo
Will post menue nightly, any suggestions on spicy addittions to this diet would be appriciated.

Lodi, United States

I'm backing you up on this 100%. Just watch the sodium level--if they get sick from salt, someone might blame the garlic (which is nature's perfect food).

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I think the Brahma Roo is included because you want him to still be able to kiss the girls and if you gave them the garlic and not him, he might stop kissin' them.

:-)

I am interested too in the results. And glad to see how green you are! I am green too!

Harmony - I LOVE LOVE LOVE footie pajamas. I have several pairs. They are hard to find. Mine are polar fleece for winter. I want some less heavy-weight footie pajamas. If you know a good place to get them, let me know! I also want to know what you "see" when you hear my name. :-)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i have 2 cochin. i tell everyone they are wearing pantyloons!

(Zone 7b)

Claire i see Claire Bear and i picture you as a petite lady with shoulder length dark hair and a very pretty face.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Tell me what you see in ZZ Harmony? :)

(Zone 7b)

I and pardon me for this but i see a petite older lady with short brown hair in the lady sort of styles and she is wearing glasses and she has a very sweet smile.

(Zone 7b)

Catscan i see a calico cat sitting on a MRI table.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you! I'm far from petite though.. I'm 5'10" tall!! (sasquatch) LOL The short brown hair you got.. glasses are on here... the smile? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. I appreciate the kind words.

I see you as medium height 5'6"? late 30's early 40's?? Shoulder length medium brown hair or longer? Very kind heart..

Lodi, United States

ZZ is a not petite or elderly in person--and she is certainly no Sasquatch. She is attractive, intense and interesting.

I am, however, a calico cat sitting on an MRI table....or I would be if I hadn't stolen the handle from my cousin.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I'm also 5'10" so not especially petite either! LOL! But I do have brown hair - missing the pretty face but I clean up OK I guess. It's funny that you see Claire Bear because my mother was a kindergarten teacher and all the kids called her Mrs. Bear even though she was really Mrs. Moxon because in her first week she always had a teddy bear picnic "unit" of learning to help them start learning to count, say their colors, etc. Everybody brought in their favorite teddy bear and she was always Mrs. Bear that week and it would always stick for the rest of the year. Also when I used to be a motorcycle chick (yeah, those were the days) I had a talisman necklace with a small bear on it that a Native American gave me because he said it was my totem. It was supposed to keep me safe. I'm still here, so I guess it did!

Usually I'm just a garden girl who looks like a mess on legs.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Garden girl (this was last summer still in the old yard). Not many pics from the new place yet. They all seem to be of chickens!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Zone 7b)

I guess all your words are petite and loveing in the way that yall say them and thats how my mind sees and envision's it.

ZZ glad i got a few right and no i didn't mean elderly I consider myself older and i'm 48.
I can see your big smile every time you post and it's a sweet smile

Claire Bear you so do have a pretty face.

Catscan i love calico cats but the MRI no thanks

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I didn't take it as elderly.. I'm 50 and it doesn't bother me in the least.. I worked hard outside all my life and it shows.. no big deal.. I don't care about how I "look" nearly as much as how big my heart is. I sure feel elderly!!!!!!!! LOL
I do smile when I post.. You got that one right too..

So tell us about Harmony! Was I even close?

Thank you Catscan.. your such a love.

Catscan is petite, very pretty, modern and very intelligent! Blew me away when I met her! I'm always such a mess.. and although she doesn't mind getting dirty, it just didn't fit her.. she is too pretty to be dirty..
Gosh.. hope that came out okay.. LOL

Lodi, United States

Oh ZZ! I am a filthy girl. I always have been. When I was young and we went out with the horses, the other girls always came back clean and girly--I was always a mess, with horse-hair covered calves, stuff in my hair and sweat in my eyes.

I just can't be bothered to stay clean--it keeps you from doing all the fun stuff. But maybe I should take a lesson from the CF and preen more?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL See how easily I'm distracted? LOL

I just can't see it.. Maby when you were younger..

Funny how people's impressions are.. I love people's quirks.. Always interests me...

This message was edited Mar 22, 2010 2:59 PM

(Zone 7b)

Me I'm 48 5'10" and not petite and as my sister use to say i'm big boned and pretty well not in my opinion clean the chicken poo off and the garden dirt and like claire i do clean up nice. Short brown exstremly curly hair intense blue eyes my best feature and a big jokester can't resist pulling any thing out of my bag of funny.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow, what's with all the chicken lovers being 5'10". Is that a theme or what? That's 3 of us now!

Makes me laugh - I always had this thing about coworkers coming to work with "kid dirt" on them from their kids being sloppy or spitting up on their shoulder or whatever and I always thought "How can they do that??" and now I go to work and realize there's some chicken poo on my knee and I'm like "Yeah, whatever..."

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

HA! You have me curious... what does Harmony see when typing an alias like Lazy_Ladies? hehe There'll be not hurt feelings, that could conjure up some dredful mental images. :-) I was just going for a lady running around in pantaloons -- I love it Jordan! -- I'm totally telling Lacey what you said about her pants in the morning! ;)

Clarkson, KY

Boy. Y'all've been spillin' al sorts o' beans while I was away...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I keep googling for more footie pajamas now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.