Heidi Chronicles: The Kids Grow Up So Fast

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm so glad Widget's doing better--thanks for the update! Poor baby.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Everyone, for all the thoughts and prayers on Widget's behalf. I just double checked and his eye really is almost back to normal color. In the light it is shiny now, not cloudy, and virtually black with just a hint of navy blue seen in the center in very strong light. His normal color is like shiny onyx. Last night the eye was a medium, 'cadet' blue and cloudy - very sickly to look at. I always thought that sort of look in a dog's eye indicated blindness, but last night before we went to ER I tested him by moving my hand toward the eye and was a bit relieved at least to see that he reacted by closing the eye - which I took to mean he could see to some extent.

I'm pretty sure the swelling has gone down some, too, as the eye does not look so large now in comparison to the other one. Thanks again.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I am so glad to hear he is getting better.

Hugs,
Susan
=^..^=

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Now back to raccoons...

The last few days have been great yet difficult to explain. I guess it boils down to more attention. Lately, it has really been the story book, fairy tale world out there where I sit down and the raccoon all sit and stand around me up close, well, not really all of them but quite a few, almost more than I can 'attend to' at once; and incredibly they are even getting along with each other in those close quarters for the most part. Last night, for instance, at one point both Dennis and Fraidy were at my feet, maybe 8in apart, each taking peanuts from me and w/o fighting. Once or twice one looked at the other and said that "ehm eh emm em!" thing which seemed to mean something like "keep on your side of the foot, buddy". Otherwise, no sign of discord. Even more amazing, at the very same time Mink was under the table to my right while 2 other kits were eating near my left foot.

It has just been incredible. More kits are starting to come to me now, although with all of the changes going on - their growth and greater autonomy - I'm having some difficulty at times IDing these 'new' guys for sure.

I did get into a rather unexpected situation with Fraidy the one night. It was the kind of thing that reminds one that they are wild animals and sometimes they will do the unexpected. That night I had taken out one of those fast food containers of syrup left from my breakfast. When Fraidy arrived I pulled the top off and held it while she stood upright against me and the table eagerly lapping up the sweet, sticky liquid. The look of ecstasy on her face indicated this might well have been her personal favorite even ahead of marshmallows and frosting. Those little containers only hold maybe 2 tablespoons, so in no time at all Fraidy was nearing the bottom. As I often do with Widget, I then sought to turn the container a bit to make it easier for her to lick the other side clean. I didn't try to take it away, just turn it 1/4 turn, but as I moved the container even slightly Fraidy thought I was taking it away from her. In an instant she reached not for the container but for my hand and arm. One of her paws (and you have seen those claws she has, right?) locked onto my hand the other about mid way my forearm. She wasn't scratching me. She wasn't hurting me, but I could not retrieve my hand or arm without hurting myself. It was a little serious and a little humorous - but reminded me that even sweet, innocent, little Fraidy is, after all, a wild raccoon equipped with serious weaponry. Anyhow, she still had the container and was still lapping up syrup but now she also had 'me' locked in her grasp as insurance that she could keep the syrup. For a minute or so there, the more I tried to gently extricate myself from her grasp the more rock solid it became. She really, really like that syrup, and she wasn't taking any chances with letting it get away from her until she had licked the container clean. I was finally able to convince her to just take the container and let me have my body parts back.

More in a minute...

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I am so glad Widgets eye is improving. I am going through a similar thing with my green cheek conure. He gave himself a black eye fighting with his toys. It didn't look that bad but he wouldn't open it. The vet gave me eye meds and pain meds. Five days later I had ran out of the pain meds and his eye looked beautiful. The next morning it was horrible, swollen and all pink. He had scratched his cornea real bad. We are still trying to get it to heal and its been nine days since he scratched it. It looks some better but he still doesn't open his eye very far. The vet says he was in alot of pain.

I just love hearing about all the fun you are having with your group. Sounds like they really do understand the only way they are going to get those treats is if they all get along and behave themselves. I can just picture all of them surrounding you waiting their turn for the treats.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Susan!

----------------------------

Judy -- So sorry to hear about your conure's eye problem. I can so identify with how you must be feeling. I sure hope his eye will heal [completely] soon. That's what the vet said about Widget, that he was in a lot of pain. He was being such a trooper about the whole thing I really didn't realize he was in so much pain until the vet said he was giving him an injection of a narcotic pain killer. They [vets] don't bring out the narcotics too often in my experience.

Thanks, glad you are enjoying the stories. That really is exactly what it has been like just lately.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight I was bad. Yes, it's true. I try to do what is right, but sometimes...that little devil on my other shoulder gets the upper hand and...

When I got to the back door tonight, as expected there was a kit waiting for me there. I opened the door to speak to him, but he ran to the end of the patio and stood there looking back at me. With the door open at about a 45 degree angle I sat there by the door talking to him, telling him it was ok, calling to him while holding a little Debbie cake - even knowing I shouldn't do that, but that little devil...

The kit sat there studying me and I him as i cajoled and called to him. He walked about 2 feet closer and then stood looking at me. So focused was I on this conversation between us that I had completely failed to notice the little golden sibling who had made his way from the 'hinge' side of the house and was now, as I looked down, standing firmly on the ceramic tile just inside the door frame. Only one back foot remained on the other side of the threshold. I think at that moment when I looked at him it was my body language that told him he wasn't supposed to be in the house, and with that he politely turned and walked back out onto the patio.

A few minutes later when I emerged with the food, they were all standing around me but stepped back nicely as I walked out so as not to crowd me - or get stepped on.

Tonight in addition to Mink, another kit, one of Blondie's kits I think, came up and ate at my feet - and the 2 got along fine. Mink would eat a bit and then go off to eat elsewhere for a while. Upon returning, she would sit upright at my back, right 'corner' and put her paws gently on my back just above the waist as if to get my attention without disturbing the others at my feet; whereupon I would turn to give her more treats.

Tonight, BTW, we had the generic version of Apple Jacks. Recently I read a few chapter of "Tabasco" and learned that 'The Saucy Raccoon' loved Apple Jacks. (I think one of you suggested this long ago.) Having already tried Fruit Loops w/o much success, I didn't expect it to work, but the author was so convincing, so what the heck, I picked up a large box of the cereal. They loved it. I sprinkled Apple Dapples as these were called all around me and kits gathered at my feet to eat them, kits and Blondie. Only Blondie, her 2, Mink, Cissy, and one other kit were there at the time, and they managed to eat 3/4 of the huge box of cereal.

Backing up a moment (sorry, it's getting late and the brain is starting to fail so things may get a bit disjointed), last night early on this one raccoon was between my feet eating peanuts and grapes, at time so close up 'under' me that I could not see her head. I thought at 1st it was Dennis but something didn't seem quite right. Fraidy, then? No, still not right. Even though I was only looking down at her back, I somehow knew it was neither of them even though they are the only adults known to get so close to me. As she moved around into positions that might permit a better view of her face, I shown my flashlight down on her. It was definitely not Dennis or Fraidy. I don't know just who it was, never quite figured that out. It may have been Cissy, who has reappeared a time or two lately. She doesn't normally get that close, so it would have been a step forward if it was her. Actually, it was a step forward whoever it was. As some of the kits are getting quite large now it might have been one of the larger kits but looked like a smallish adult. Either way, it's yet another example of how many of them seem to be getting more and more comfortable around me.

Ok, can't push the brain any farther. It is shutting down now regardless. Must go to sleep...

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

So sorry to hear about Widget! And so glad to hear the swelling is going down, and that he's doing better. With that amount of swelling and discoloration to the eye, there is a very real possibility of losing the sight if the situation isn't gotten under control quickly. As for pain, I had a scratched cornea years ago, and I can tell you the pain level was amazing. Surgery, broken bones, cat bites, being mauled by a dog: nothing compared to that one "little" eye injury. Animals are so stoic that we have no idea about their pain level.

Also so happy to hear that Dennis' kits invited themselves to the buffet; they urgently need the nutrition. They certainly don't get much parental supervision or training, so I suspect the sight of everyone else "pigging out" just got to be irresistible. Good for them, and glad to hear they're holding their own with the other diners.

If you ever had any doubt of how much strength is crammed into those small raccoon bodies, I'll bet that moment with Fraidy said it all. I have no doubt that she would not intentionally hurt you, but she clearly wasn't willing to lose that syrup! Another favorite treat: and pure sugar, and so sticky! Can't think of any way to toss that treat to the backfielders without wearing a sticky mess; guess that one will have to be reserved for the very close friends (lol).

Glad that Widget's eye keeps improving! And sorry to hear about the birdie's eye, Judy--saying prayers for both critters.
LOL about Fraidy and the syrup. She must have a sweet tooth like mine.
Scary that you almost had a houseguest--I'll bet you'll remember to close the door behind you next time, lol. Yikes!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

That really puts eye pain in perspective. I was very surprised when the vet said he was going to give Widget Phentanol (sp?) In the past I've had to beg for pain meds for dogs that had just undergone surgery. When Widget was having severe back pain that same Dr did not give him pain meds, only steroids - which quickly eliminated the pain. Since Widget was up and about and was eating fine I didn't realize he was in that much pain. However, last night I noticed a BIG difference in his energy level and playfulness. Tomorrow afternoon he goes to his regular vet for follow up. I think he is doing much better, but we will see tomorrow what she says.

Ever since my 1st tug of war with Dennis over the bag of treats, I've been absolutely amazed at the amount of strength packed into those small bodies. Their strength relative to size and weight actually seems to defy physics. Even though I now know 1st hand just how strong they are, I never cease to be astounded all over again each time I experience it.

While I felt sure that Fraidy would not hurt me intentionally, once locked in her grasp I wasn't so sure a syrup intoxicated Fraidy wouldn't forget her own strength momentarily. It was an almost comical situation, her latching on with unbridled enthusiasm and me trying in vain to free myself from her grasp.

You are so right about the syrup. Not something I can throw to the masses at large but always a much appreciated treat for those willing to come close enough. Since I rarely have more than 2 small containers of the stuff, it all works out ok though.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Nothing stunted about that sweet tooth of Fraidy's for sure.

Actually, when the kit came into the [edge] of the house, I was sitting by the door where I put my boots on and had [foolishly] opened the door part way to talk to the other kit on the patio (the only 1 I was aware of at the time). While I was looking at and talking to the other kit, that kit sneaked in through the open door - while I was sitting there holding the door ajar and calling to other kit. Seems like this kit said, "Hey, that other fella may not be willing to come in, but I am!" Since I was sitting practically in the doorway and holding the door ajar, there was little threat that the kit would actually get past me, but seeing him standing on the edge of the tile when I hadn't even been aware of his presence in the area was a bit of a wake-up call about holding the door open when I know they are out there.

LOL, adventurous, aren't they?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Uhhhg, took Benedryl earlier for my allergies. Now I am about to keel over for sure - and stumbling over my words. Must be brief as that stuff knocks me out.

Tonight was another great night - even though it was raining. I had planned to just put the food out and leave, but the kits mobbed me as soon as I sat down for a minute. Who could leave with all those adorable fluff balls sitting around them waiting for treats? So I stayed out long enough to pass out marshmallows, apple dapples, and grapes. With the rain coming down, the mm's quickly stuck together in the bag and even the cereal box got soggy, but the raccoons did not seem to mind at all. Mink, Fraidy, Dennis, Cissy, and one other (currently unknown but must be Blondie's) were all around my feet at one time. At one point, Fraidy started fussing with Mink, but as soon as I said "Now be nice" in a tone you might use for grand kids, she promptly stopped. Other than that, everyone got along amazingly well.

I actually think I see some indications that - and I'm having difficulty articulating this point so bare with me - Fraidy is gaining a measure of courage from her 'position' with me. I think it has to do with food and access to food, a valuable resource, being tied to power - much as money confers power within our own society. Lately, since Fraidy has been standing beside me and getting 1st dibs on treats (while she is there at least) and also enjoying some protection just by her proximity to me, I have seen her grow increasingly assertive in telling the others to back off. I've seen a noticeable difference in her demeanor, and lately she has even been coming out (on her own without being called) early in the meal and even at the beginning of the meal (as apposed to waiting for everyone to leave as she once did).

I also see Dennis, Fraidy, and Mink sort of vying for attention when more than one of them is at my feet. This is something I hadn't expected to see in wild animals. I don't really think it is about me so much as it is about the power of 'controlling' the resources. They don't fight or even argue as they would have in the past, but while each when alone at my feet is happy to eat from a small stash of goodies placed on the ground, when more than one of them is at my feet each will try to get me to hand feed them - even when they have the same food in front of them. It's as though they are demonstrating to each other "See, I am the favorite, not you. The human takes time to hand feed me." I may be reading this wrong, but as I've been noticing it for a while, I don't think so. It's an interesting dynamic to observe, and they are pretty consistent in this unanticipated behavior.

Ok, I really must go now because in addition to me being on the edge of sleep, Widget has been sitting here insisting that I take him outside. For a while I had to type with his head resting on my wrist while he gazed up at me with a look of total devotion. When that didn't produce the desired results, he got up, turned around and curled up to 'nap' on the side of the laptop where he is now covering the right hand speaker and a portion of the keys. I have to reach under him to hit 'return' at the end of the sentences. LOL. I really do think he is trying to tell me something. Better call it a night.

Fascinating, as always, Cheryl. And I suspect you're right that prime access to treats equals higher status among the raccoons. At least in Fraidy's case, this is a real plus since it can only improve her continued chance of surviving against the odds, as the smallest and least expected to survive.

Poor Widget: sometimes it's so hard to communicate with those bipedal humans!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

It sure seems that Fraidy is getting more confidence...good for her!!

Mink sounds very adoralbe and sweet too.

I will have to look for some Apple Dapples at the store!

Out walking yesterday I came across a dead raccoon... it just made feel so sad to see that sweet little masked face laying there in the ditch. :(

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

What a time you are having with the kits and such. So glad that you have this majicalplace and have so willing over the years to share it with us.

I been thinking an dthinking about Widget. I wonder ha she been outside anywhere in yard where possible chems or fertilizers could have gooten, or did you happen to clena house with powders on carpet or somethign where a possible dust grain could have caused an allergy in his eye. Also wondere dif dogs have eyelashes. All the dogs I have had and dont really know, but wondere dif maybe he got one or an eybrow lash and it got stuck possibly to the back of his eye and irriated it. Sure hope the vet figure sout what it is and he gets his eye back real soon. There so many variables that could have happened, just hope it heals and he gets back to good as new.

he probably still in pain too so would have doc giv ehim a mild pain reliver. They get headaches and such same as us. They just don't know how to ask for two aprin and a cool cloth.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

nanny,

Apple Dapples are the Publix store brand for Apple Jacks. Just look for generic Apple Jacks. I am amazed at the popularity of that cereal. Some time back I tested Fruit Loops and they only rated luke warm at best, but Apple Jacks or the equivalent were a big hit. Go figure. Wish I could take a few of the kits and maybe Fraidy and Dennis to the store with me to ride up front in the buggy and pick out things of interest. With so many cereals out there, who knows what else they may go bonkers over. (Do you think the store manager and/or other customers would mind a lot?)

I know what you mean about the dead raccoon. I see them along the road on my daily commute far too often and that really makes a mark on me. This week, in fact, I saw another dead kit in the road just outside our gate - that's close enough to be one of ours and the kit was roughly the size of most of ours. Whereas they are usually lying on their side - and that's disconcerting enough - this little fella was on his tummy and I found that all the more upsetting. Like i said before, lacking such creatures as wolves, bears, and cougars, the car seems to be the main predator for them in my area.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

I watched a similar change occur with Dennis except that in her case at one point it yielded way too much attitude. That has been corrected now, and Dennis behaves quite nicely. I think a little bit of attitude would be good for Fraidy.

Yes, I'm sure dealing with the bipeds takes great ingenuity sometimes.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi starlight,

I'm so happy that all of you are here to share the magic with me.

I try to avoid using harsh chemicals in my garden. Don't want to kill the earth worms, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc. I've learned to live with some insects and weeds in the garden. I don't prefer them but have learned to accept them and have even come to see the benefits of such. Not only do the insects provide food for birds, beneficial insects, and other wildlife including raccoons; but most of the weeds also produce food, a fact that is rarely appreciated by our species.

I think hair may well have played a part in the eye problem, but I'm inclined to think the problematic hair in his case is part of his long coat. I've had a Maltese dog for about 15yrs now, and I've found that the long coat leaves them open to a number of problems that aren't immediately obvious. Imagine a 2yr old toddler with 10-15in hair over its entire body, including even a 'mustache' down to its mid chest. Imagine the toddler trying to play, eat, scratch, and handle potty matters with all that hair, and you've got a picture of life with a Maltese in full coat. Let's just say they are ultra high maintenance. Just as an example of one way the coat can lead to infection, they need to be brushed daily. Otherwise, the coat can quickly get tangled/matted at the roots and still look normal on the outside - like when women tease or back comb their hair at the roots for a bit of volume. For the dog, that 'teased' hair traps excess moisture against the skin leaving them susceptible to a staff infection of the skin, a problem which is likely exacerbated by our humid climate. I'm not sure exactly how, but I'm inclined to think the hair around his face and eyes played a part in the eye problem.

The Dr seemed to think an allergy may have played a part. Ragweed and chenopods are maxed out around here the past few weeks, so we are all suffering with allergies and sinus problems. The Dr seemed to think Widget may also be experiencing allergy problems. She prescribed an antihistamine.

We'll never know exactly what caused the problem, but the good news is that Widget's eye seems to be pretty much back to normal now. The Dr said it looked very good. Widget still has to continue his meds for a while, but it looks like he is going to be fine. I can also tell from the sudden burst of energy that Widget is feeling much, much better now.

Oh, good, glad to hear that he's back to his old self! My sister keeps her maltese clipped fairly short for those reasons. She just doesn't have time to groom her often. I have spent many hours de-matting her before she started clipping her short. They do have a pretty coat when it's long, though.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Another spectacular night mobbed by Dennis, Fraidy, Mink, and so many kits I couldn't keep score. A number of kits including Blondie's 2 are now coming up to get treats. Blondie's kits are usually waiting for me on the patio these days. Tonight they walked with me from patio to feeding area and were under foot as I was pouring the food.

I hadn't seen Heidi for a couple of days, but tonight the smell of strawberry frosting, clearly her personal weakness, must have led her back. She was over in a dark corner eating when I tossed her a cracker with a bit of frosting on it. A few minutes later she was standing in front of me telling the others to 'move aside'. Knowing how she only licks the frosting off and leaves the cracker behind, I made her one with about 2in of frosting piled high on top and held it out to her. She came over and took it from my hand, something which she rarely does, something she will only do for frosting, and something which never fails to thrill me. After that she took yet another frosted cracker from my hand. While waiting for another she walked up and licked frosting off my boot! When I offered her the 3rd one, instead of taking it, she stood there licking the frosting off as I held it. After she had licked off most of the frosting, she stood waiting as I took the cracker back and refilled the frosting before holding it out to her yet again. This time, thankfully as I had others waiting, she took the cracker from my hand. I was amazed tonight at how close Heidi had been willing to come and how comfortable she seemed.

The 1st few Heidi took food from my hand (in the past), I was a bit fearful to be honest. Because I think of Heidi as the 'wildest' of the wild I wasn't quite sure what to expect from her and was a bit intimidated at the thought of having her teeth and claws that close to my fingers. Would she snatch the food? Would she bit me? Slap me with claws open? I just didn't know. I wonder now if I telegraphed my fear to her at those times. Tonight I felt more comfortable holding my hand out to her, and tonight she seemed more comfortable as well.

Yep, it was a great night, fast paced with raccoons all around me from start to finish.

It is just amazing that Heidi, of all the raccoons, will take food directly from your hands; who knows, maybe HRH will finally reach that point someday as well? That would be a bit intimidating at first, given his size and bulk, but then he is such a gentle giant.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

HRH has already taken food from my hand. He was willing to do so before Heidi. The 1st time I offered him something I made sure it was something large enough to put a little space between us, a granola bar, I think. For some reason, perhaps because he always presents himself at the buffet as such a gentle giant, I had less fear of him than of Heidi. In the past, Heidi would sometimes fuss and grumble at me a bit while I was filling her dish. Well, I figured she was talking to me, but she may have been addressing other raccoons. Don't know if she was warning me not to try anything funny or telling the others, perhaps some walking up behind me of which I was unaware, to get back.

Heidi won't come to me to take a treat from my hand on command (yet). Most of the time she will refuse even if she is standing right in front of me. The only thing that will reliably get her to do so is a big glob of frosting. She is also more willing to do such things at times like this when she is not responsible for helpless kits. Her view of what is too risky and what is safe is noticeably different when she is pregnant, lactating, and raising very young kits.

HRH, on the other hand, had gotten to the point where he would come when called and take a treat pretty much any old time. (I miss that big guy. Hope he returns very, very soon. BTW, I have only seen Trouble once since Heidi ousted him recently, and that was on a day when she was not around.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

By the time Dennis and her kits arrived last night I was down to the last of the frosting and had no crackers left to spread it on. Dennis came right over to me, while her kits stopped off over at Heidi's spot to nibble cat food. Dennis's kits had never tasted frosting, so I put a few tablespoons of the pink goo on the foil top, folded it for safe keeping and tossed it over near one of the kits. The kit turned to investigate and immediately started chowing down. A nearby adult tried her hand at scaring the kit away from his find but to no avail. Those are some scrappy little tykes. Last night I watched them fend off several adults including Ursula. I piled a bit of frosting on the plastic can top and sailed it over to the other kit frisbee style. It actually struck the kit who looked up at me to access my intent. Once I reassured him that my intentions were friendly with "it's ok" he set to licking up the sweet gift.

After that I gave the can to Dennis who, in a manner not unlike what many of you moms out there have already described, took it over to a 'secret', dark corner of the garden well outside of the buffet area to enjoy her take without worry of having to share it with the kids - but, as with your own hideouts, not secret enough as moments later I looked over there to see a kit 'stumbling' around with his head buried deep in the can in search of sugary goodness.

It didn't take Dennis' kits long to learn where the goodies come from. In no time at all they were up close to me where their mom was eating kibble from the bucket. Unfortunately, by that time I had nothing left to offer them, but seeing how quickly they made there way over to me in just a few short visits I'm confident that they will quickly learn from their mom to trust me and will be on my boot tops in no time.

At one point earlier when her kits were still over in Heidi's area searching for kibble, I took the bucket from Dennis - who now politely waits for it to be returned to her - and tossed several handfuls over to the kits before giving it back. When I 1st arrived in the feeding area for the night, I had put a handful of cat food on the tabletop near my shoulder not realizing their was water on the tabletop from recent rains. Dennis came over and stood upright against my shoulder to eat the soggy stuff. I added more kibble from the bucket, and she stood there eating for a while. From time to time her kits looked over at her in confusion

After she had eaten the remaining cat food, Dennis went over to Heidi's area to join her kits. It was then as she walked around the area nibbling kibble here at there her two kits at her side that I began to see the 1st promising signs since that 1st night when Dennis introduced her kits to me. One of the kits ambushed her, and I watched as she turned to play with them. Suddenly, the always playful Dennis was wrestling, rolling, and somersaulting with her youngsters as they frolicked about in the moonlight. Then before resuming her hunt for food, Dennis licked each kits face lovingly for a moment. In return, as she ate, the two kits one on each side of her licked the sides of her face in unison. It was one of those moments when I cursed my failure to bring a camera along.

After a while, Dennis turned and headed over to the fence where she climbed to the top of the post and stood surveying the forest for signs of danger. While she stood there, the kits gathered a few more bites before following after her. Dennis waited there atop the fence until her two kits joined her before climbing up into the tree and away into the night.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
Dennis licked each kits face lovingly for a moment. In return, as she ate, the two kits one on each side of her licked the sides of her face in unison. It was one of those moments when I cursed my failure to bring a camera along.

there was probably some left over frosting there. ;-)

Quoting:
Dennis waited there atop the fence until her two kits joined her before climbing up into the tree and away into the night.

Sound like Dennis may turn out to be a good mom.

Sounds like a fun evening ... so glad things "calmed" down ... I"m sure Heidi had a lot to do with that... running off the unruly critters.

back to the peaceful haven.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, Terese!

You are probably right. I didn't think of that! Frosting, I mean.

Yeah, things are finally back to normal, maybe even better than normal since now for the 1st time ever I have 5 or 6 - too many to count while scrambling to feed them - raccoons and kits all gathered at my feet (and under the table and at my back corner) all waiting patiently for a treat. At last I have not just the 'friendlies' from the prior years but also a growing number of new ones all gathering around me. It's very nice. I have no doubt that Heidi had a lot to do with this change. It seems like she sets the tone and the others follow. More on this subject a bit later after I 'rest up' and do some yard work.

Maybe she was washing their faces? LOL, that would have been so sweet to see!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Awwwwwwww, how "sweet " it is. It may have been frosting, but so glad to hear that she is interacting and keeping track of her kits and love the part about her playign with them. dennis the clown, having a bit of fun frolicking around. A family playign together. : )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods -- It really was, especially after weeks of seeing her seem to ignore them.

starlight -- It looks like maybe you were right. This being her 1st litter, maybe it was like one minute she had a really bad tummy ache and the next minute there were these strange, helpless things lying there beside her crying. Maybe it took her a while to figure the whole thing out and even to learn to like them. Hopefully, she will do better now and even better next year with her 2nd litter. Heidi is the perfect mom, but she is more mature and has had a lot of practice. It's probably not fair to compare the yearlings to her. BTW, I loved your comment about the kits needing to eat so they could grow some legs that would reach the fence railing. They are handling the fence really well now. It just took a little practice - and they probably have grown a little.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That just had to be so sweet to see...regardless of the reason!!! lol

Santa Ynez, CA

still waiting to see if squirrely mama comes home, I am always looking, however my sister is visiting and she is not looking forward to a reunion with her:)

Fascinating: I knew that HRH loves his granola bars, but didn't remember that he was taking them from your hand. Fits with his laid-back character, and I share the hope that he will very soon be allowed to return to the buffet.

Really glad to hear that Dennis is doing better in the motherhood department, though the active play with the kits sounds more like big sisterhood. Oh well, they need all the caring they can get; and the mutual licking really sounds like a Kodak moment.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

After a while HRH was coming over to take all manner of things from my hand: peeps, marshmallows, mini peanut butter sandwiches, etc.

Dennis did also wait for the kits when leaving, something I had not seen her do before. That said, last night she arrived alone near the beginning of the meal, ate, and left. The kits showed up without her very late after everyone else had left. I would not have seen them had I not been waiting for Fraidy.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

makj -- I'm thinking it may be a while, like maybe a season. Hang in there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yesterday I opened a pint jar of raspberry preserves I'd picked up a few weeks ago at the farmer's market. They were 'real' preserves, chocked full of raspberries and containing only sugar, raspberries, and pectin. They were yummy, but I had to ask myself if I really needed to eat that jar of sugar, answer "no". Last night we had finger sandwiches made with the preserves. Ummm! Messy but still a big hit. When Heidi arrived, I pinged her beside the head with a tiny sandwich. Within minutes she was standing at my feet as close as Dennis looking for more. She didn't act like Dennis, mind you, and when I gave her a big sandwich made with a full slice of bread stuffed full of preserves, she promptly backed up a foot or so to enjoy it - and 2 more small sandwiches.

All in all last night the raccoons consumed a long loaf of bread, a pint jar of preserves, 1/2 can of vanilla frosting brought out when preserves ran out, 1/2 watermelon end (outer portion and liquids only), and a box of little Debbie vanilla cakes squares in addition to a dbl quantity of cat food.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I been watching with great interest and, I must admit, a similar quantity of confusion group dynamics following recent events most notably Heidi's decision to step up and oust certain raccoons from the buffet.

For starters, and this is not the confusing part, it seems clear to me now that Heidi prefers to keep acts of violence away from the table, choosing instead to conduct disciplinary action and anything else that might require serious fighting in the forest, perhaps because she prefers that meals be conducted in a calm atmosphere that aids digestions or because she thinks it better not to suggest violence while in the presence of the human - certainly wouldn't want to give the human any ideas or get the human involved in the fray.

Now for the confusing stuff, although I may have answered my own question in the prior paragraph. All summer long Trouble made regular visits to the buffet in complete defiance of Heidi's orders. At the buffet, whenever Heidi went over to him, dropped her head low beside his neck, and started making that rattlesnake sound, Trouble would immediately stage a one-raccoon sit-in, defiantly sitting down with his back to her, and Heidi would walk away her goal unaccomplished. Watching this scenario play out over and over at the buffet one would naturally conclude that Heidi was unable to keep Trouble from the buffet.

Then came that night when Heidi headed out into the forest to intercept some diner or diners, the night when the forest reverberated with screams reminiscent of a Kung Fu Ninja flying through the air foot first in search of a target. It seems clear that one of the diners she accosted in the forest that night was Trouble. He did not make his usual run through the forest that night, and since that time has only made a single appearance and that on the night of the electrical storm when I assume he knew as did I that Heidi would not be venturing out. Even when I stay late, there is no sign of Trouble, neither before Heidi shows up nor after she leaves. Even on those couple of nights when I didn't see Heidi at all, I still did not see Trouble. How is it that Trouble was so defiant at the buffet, yet is now so willing to obey orders? How is it that the same Heidi who could not bounce Trouble from the buffet, could send him packing with just one such noisy encounter in the forest? Does Trouble perhaps know about Heidi's reluctance to fight at the buffet? Was his past behavior at the buffet analgous to that of children who safely throw tantrums in stores knowing their parents will not make a scene by disciplining them in public?

Now for the part of all of this that I find most difficult to fully comprehend. Since that night when Heidi came to the buffet to find that all of the food had been gobbled up and there was inadequate supply for her and her kits, Cruella and her bunch have been banned from the buffet. That very night Heidi spoke harshly to Cruella and her henchmen sending them all out of the yard. Since that night, most of Cruella's group have not been seen at the buffet at all. Ursula has made a few late night appearances during which her behavior is quite submissive.

What is most incredible now is the total transformation in Cruella's behavior since that time. Now you might legitimately question at this point whether I may be confusing some other raccoon with Cruella. I have, after all, made the occasional ID error in the past. Cruella, however, has a physical characteristic which distinguishes her from all others without any doubt. (In general, it is Heidi's descendants I have difficulty ID'ing at times since they are so similar in appearance.) We'll cover this characteristic another time. For now just know that it exists and that I am easily able to ID Cruella even in the dark.

Cruella, the once vicious bully, has essentially been converted to Fraidy-esque behavior, something I would have thought impossible. I have only seen Cruella a time or two since that night when Heidi turned things around at the buffet. On each such occasion, Cruella sneaked down the fence only to run away immediately, before she even got more than a few feet from the fence, when addressed by any of the others, even Fraidy or the tiniest kit. And every single raccoon in the group right down to the smallest kit knows that Cruella is banished from the kingdom, too. Any one of the raccoons who seems Cruella coming down the fence will walk toward her - and she will promptly and hastily flee, no snarling, growling, or fighting required.

Last night Cruella showed up again. It was late at night; everyone had left. Only Dennis' tiny kits remained in the yard. On her 1st attempt, Cruella sneaked 1/2 way down the post and peaked out from under a branch. Seeing the kits, she ran back up the fence and disappeared for a while. After that she made a few more attempts to enter the yard with her kits. Each time I sat and watched in utter amazement as Cruella walked around by the fence displaying distinctly submissive behavior. Each time I watched as those 2 tiny kits ran her and her kits out of the yard with ease. The kits had only to see her and take a few step in her direction and she would flee. It was incredible to know that this was the same raccoon who had previously wrought such violence upon the group, who had kept Dennis and presumably these same kits away from the buffet. Now she was behaving the way Fraidy behaved that 1st year when she was unable to leave the fence to eat from the buffet. On one try, Cruella managed to sneak over to grab a 'used' bread square while the kits were busy. Her demeanor was completely submissive even as she did so, and the instant she had the bread scrap in her teeth she pivotted on her haunches and ran for the fence with it.

What I find so amazing about this is that Cruella behaves in this manner now even when Heidi is no where to be found and that the entire group now down to the smallest kit knows that Cruella is not to be allowed at the buffet. Dennis, who once cowered in the presence of Cruella, now also chases her back up the fence the moment she sees her. Fraidy, for goodness sake, will go after Cruella if she is there. It is amazing to me that Heidi has somehow caused this transformation in everyone around her - and even in her absence. She has somehow converted the biggest bully ever seen at the buffet into the new Fraidy and has emboldened the tiniest baby to give chase should Cruella dare to show her face. I mean, is this amazing, or what? Seeing this it is laughable that I sought to fix the problem. No way could I have done anything so awesome as what Heidi has done.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW -- that is amazing... and the fact that you have witnessed it all.

OH -- how has that lil kit recovered from Cruella's attack that one night? Does he venture off on his own again, or still hang by Mom's side?

Heidi is one amazing creature .. .the way she keeps order.

again - Cheryl -- you are truly blessed!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Terese,

That was Timba, the blonde one. Yes, he is going off on his own now as are all of Heidi's kits. She saw to that. She let Timba hang by her side for a week or so and then started pushing him 'out of the nest' so to speak. He came over to me last night when they arrived. Looks like he has gotten over the incident although I'm sure he remembers it.

Yes, Heidi is amazing. I wish I had known earlier in the year how to motivate her to do that. If you recall she jumped into action when I cut the food by 1/2. When she found herself and her kits without sufficient food, that's when she decided some of the crowd had to go. I am blessed to get to observe all of this up close. It is so captivating. I'm trying now to understand the group dynamics by which both Cruella's behavior and that of the rest of Heidi's group toward her could be so transformed even in her absence.

I don't want to be mean to Cruella, but she was SO disruptive. Things are so much better without her running around beating up on everybody who gets near her. Her kits, btw, are quite large and neither she nor the kits appeared to be starving. I suspect that she is only behaving in this new, timid manner when in Heidi's territory and esp when trying to elbow her way in to the buffet. I don't think her real personality has been altered at all. My guess is that she has been read the riot act (by Heidi) and has been told not to show up at the buffet at all. I figure when she tries to sneak in late at night to look for left overs she is on her very best behavior either because she doesn't want Heidi to catch her there or because she doesn't want the others to tell Heidi she was there. I don't understand it really, but I figure she doesn't want to have another encounter with Heidi in the forest when Heidi is in that Kung Fu Ninja mood.

Wow, amazing! And incredible how much they eat--a whole long loaf of bread with all the trimmings in one night is a lot! Mmmm, that raspberry preserves sounds delish--I may sneak into your yard in a racoon costume one night, lol.

Santa Ynez, CA

I know it could take some time, I just miss the little devil:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.