Heidi Chronicles: The Kids Grow Up So Fast

Lyndonville, NY

She is just so precious. There are two of them, maybe three I can just see them sitting on your lap soon, eating snacks and listening to "When your mama Heidi was little....she used to" stories.

We are back to normal here in NY. The last without electric towards Rochester were back up yesterday.

Debbie

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Cheryl, even your ordinary nights at the buffet are pure magic. I know you realize this, but it's easy to forget: the relationships you're building with wild raccoons are simply unknown in the literature and studies of raccoons. Rehabbers have a very close relationship with the raccoons they've raised; but they have raised them from babyhood, often bottle-feeding them when first received. To build any kind of relationship, much less the close and intricate relationships you're sharing, with animals in the wild is just amazing. The stories are always heart-warming, always surprising, and always something very new in human-raccoon relationships.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I totally agree with Sparta. What you did, have done and are going to do is amazing.

Laughing my head off at Chery at the reading once upon a time stories. Hahahahaha but I don't doubt one day that it will happen for sure.

Oh my, bet ya had the bigest smile spreadign through your body with Fraidy snuggled up to ya. : )

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

It is so easy to forget when reading these threads that these are wild critters. I know that rehabbers necessarily have a close relationship with the babies they raise as they are the source of food and protection for these little ones. That is not the case here since the buffet is a supplement to the normal diet and lives of these racoons which makes it even more amazing to me to see the close relationship that has developed. Most of them could make it just fine without it but have made the conscious choice to be there and to accept Cheryl as "part of the family" a strange part to be sure (from their perspective, not mine --- really!) but an integral part nonetheless.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh, you are so right... we get so used to reading these wonderful stories... we are amazed but we do tend to forget that they are indeed wild animals. But when it does hit you again...that make even more amazing!!!

There is such a need to keep this 'secret" but yet this information really need to be put out there for people, including rehabbers to learn from this.

Just to have been able to 'witness' a lot of this as it has unfolded has been such a wonderful journey!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We have power back. It took awhile, and I am appalled at how much it costs to eat out every meal these days!

Many in the area are still without, so I am quite grateful that my power and my cable are working.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who are suffering much more than my little inconvenience.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Tonight just before dark I went out back to put the cat food and some old strawberry bagels out behind the fence. I was putting the catfood into the dishes and some on the concreate slabs turned around to leave and out came a kit to eat. It wasn't two feet from me. I took a couple steps to close the gate(I had left it open and my dog was up by the house)and spoke to it as it kept on eating. When I shut the gate the kit went about two feet up the tree,not hiding but ready to go further if need be(in its mind). I stood there talking to it and it seemed about to come back down when my dog got wind of it and came closer. The kit went about five feet up and to the back of the tree so I left and brought my dog in. I was tickeled pink that this little critter came out to eat with me there. It did seem strange as I have only on occasion seen them and never from the outside of the fence. I think when they hear the sound of food going in the dishes at least this one knows there is something good to be had. I went out about an hour later to put some watermelon out and all the food was already gone. Sorry but I just had to tell someone and you guys are the only ones that would understand how I felt when it came on down. I have never tried to interact with them and like I said have only seen them a couple of times tho I feed them at least 5 times a week.

Judy

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Congrats, Melody, on getting power back! Wow, ours was out less than 24 hours--I can't imagine going without this long or even longer, like some.

And congrats, Judy, on your little visitor!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Congratulations, Judy! Sounds like that kit definitely has figured out the system, and is allowing hunger to trump the native wariness to a degree. Major progress!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Awwwwwww, glad ya got to see your tiny new friend. : )

I don't have cable so I only get the regular channels and saw on entertainment last night this guy who has found a baby kit that was two weeks old think it was in like minnesota or something and he took it back to his home state. He made a pet out of it and called it willie. Well willie isn't little anymore and it now dubbed wild willie.

They showed the pics of this guys kitchen where up on the walls up above the cupboard, whillie had litterally chewed holes all through it and would reach down into the cupboards and throw out pans and stuff, probably hunting for food.

The guy said he has tried many times to try and introiduce willie back into the wild, but he keeps gettign back into the house. Says when willie in a good mood he very playful , but when he in a bad mood he will snarl and do definsive postures which they showed .

Don't know if u tube has video of wild willie or not.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Judy -- that sounds like a wonderful moment!! Congrats on the bit of interaction with the kit.

and that lil story of Wild Willie is guess is why you do not make a pet out of a wild animal.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I did see the several videos on utube that sounds like Willie. He ate the walls out of the top of the cabinets while the man was telling him (amoung other things)he hated him! A very unsettling video! In one the wife followed the raccon with her camera as he went to hide behind the washing machine. I guess he sleeps there.

I don't intend to try to get too close to any of the wildlife out back I just want to help them along as the woods back there isn't a very large area. There is a drainage creek type bed and the houses are built as close to it as they can be. I have about an acre of woods before the creek and beyond that houses and lawns butt up aganist it. Most of the next 8 houses on my side(before the cross road)have about on half or a quarter acre of woods behind them. My neighbor that has lived in this area all her life told me there used to be all sorts of wildlife,even deer,but they just kept building and there is no where for the wildlife to go. Hubby keeps trying to get me to agree to clear it out and build another house back there. Not while I am alive!!!!

Judy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Everyone,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond. It's the last few weeks of our 4yr project at work and things are just plum crazy right now. Right now I'm just in the house for a minute to get a drink and such. Have been working outside over the weekend trying to clean up the yard before the HOA comes after me. With temps in the low 70's it doesn't get much better than this for outdoor work. Left the lawn tractor in the center of the front lawn so definitely can't stay long, else the HOA will loose their minds for sure.

I really enjoyed all of your posts reflecting on how these are really wild animals, how it's amazing for them to behave as they do. For me Heidi is the ultimate measuring stick. To see her waiting at the back door with her babies is almost unimaginable to me.

Judy, glad that you got to see and get close to one of your kits. I have come to believe - based on things I've seen and read and partially on plain old conjecture - that raccoon watch us when we don't even know they are around. By the time we finally see them up close, we think that is a 1st, but I think they have been near us for a while over time already and have learned to trust us to some degree before reveiling themselves. Remember, they are total ninjas. I have to keep scanning the area around me and behind me when sitting out there around them because I know how easily they can sneak right up on you without ever being noticed. So what I'm saying is, I suspect the kit knows you already even though you don't know him/her.

Starlight, Willie is the raccoon in the utube video that many of us already watched. I believe it was Terese who posted the link her DH found on line. But I realize that you don't watch the videos because of BW issues (dial up). I'm surprised others who did watch the video haven't recognized your description of Willie, the holes in the sofit above the cabinets, even Willie pulling the muffin tin out of the cabinet and throwing it on the floor - all while the guys was screaming "I hate you! Get out of my house" Remember upon seeing the guy feed him almonds by hand we said that could not have been a wild raccoon? Well, that was Willie. I was talking with a guy online recently who was telling me that Willie is 'famous' in the UK blah, blah, blah. I love that video though. I've watched it a zillion times.

Gotta go. I'm sure I've exceeded max time allowed for big, orange beast in front of house. LOL

My Dad saw that video on tv and told me about it. How unfair of the man to hate the poor creature. It's not the animal's fault he's being what he was created to be! It would upset me to see that.
Cheryl, my sister and brother-in-law are looking for a house, and I told them to make sure they don't buy where there's a HOA. They live in a condo now, so I really didn't have to warn them. What a pain to have to deal with such pettiness.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWood,

When you see the video clip on utube, the one Terese posted a link for (on our prior thread I think), you don't have all of that background info. You don't know that the guy raised the raccoon from a baby and all that. It just starts off with this raccoon hanging out of a hole he has made in the sheet rock above the kitchen cabinets. While the man is fussing and carrying on, the raccoon is happily chewing on the wall board to make the hole larger - and you hear the non stop crunching sound as he does so. The man isn't doing anything to harm the raccoon, and the raccoon seems to be enjoying himself and oblivious to the man's frustrations. That's what makes the utube video funny. After a few minutes the raccoon reaches down, opens a cabinet, takes out a muffin tin and throws it onto the kitchen floor. It's just funny to watch the raccoon demolishing the kitchen. Again, with the utube video you know nothing of all that other stuff that was apparently covered in the tv program. I only know that is Willie in the video because of my conversation with the guy from UK. I showed him the link and he said "Oh, that's Willie. He's the most famous raccoon on the net..."

As for the guy and his frustrations, yes, he made a mistake in trying to raise the animal without knowing what he was getting into, but he doesn't seem to be taking his frustrations out on the raccoon. There he is with a bunch of holes, sizable holes in what otherwise looks like a nice kitchen, and he hasn't 'killed' the raccoon or anything as I expect many unfeeling people would do at that point. From the videos the raccoon seems quite happy and a bit spoiled.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

As or the HOA, no more for me. I was talking to the guy next door who told me about how they are constantly after him and the guy beside him and the one across the street and...everybody. He told me one thing that I found a little humorous though. The guy across the street has a huge boat in his back yard which is not allowed yet he keeps it there just the same. My neighbor told me the 'boat guy' says it cost him less to pay the HOA fines than to pay to store the boat somewhere, an interesting form of 'getting over'.

LOL, what can they do, kick him out of the neighborhood?
I guess I'd have to see the video to appreciate it. Unfortunately, my dialup is too slow to load most videos. Good that it's online, though--maybe it will discourage anyone who was thinking about taking raccoons indoors to live, lol.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Ya, saw where the guy puts up with the coon. saw him even giving it marshmellow whiel it was hanging out a different hole. Good thing for him that it a Wille and not a wilimina and bringing bunche sof kits to play peek a boo in the cupboard wall holes. he'd really have problems then. LOL

LOL, now that would be a really funny video!

Lyndonville, NY

Well, you know, and all of us here know.....what we really do put up with in our homes from our "domestic" furbabies. Can you imagine having that baby coon from 2 weeks...bottle feeding and up at night, caring for it....and falling big time in love.

Then have to turn him back to the wild....yep, a heartbreaker.....and we would probably put up with some of those antics too because of that darn "love thing" with them.

I have one of those issues with my cats right now...and would gladly turn them loose...if it wasn't for that darn "love thing". LOL

Debbie

Oh yeah...had husky pups eat literally eat a sofa & chair!! LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ouch! nanny, that's a lot of love! I sure hope it was an old sofa and chair that you really wanted to replace anyhow.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

About that HOA thing, I forgot to add the following which IMHO further demonstrates the absurdity of the rules. There were several wax myrtles growing (hiding actually) in the midst of the shrubs where they did not belong. I have seveal lovely large lollipop shaped wax myrtle trees but the ones trying to grow in the hedge are a nuisance because they grow too fast and make the hedge look raggedy - another thing the HOA doesn't like, LOL to keep from crying. All summer the landscaper had been just cutting the hedge square wax myrtles and all thus temporarily disguising the interlopers. Meanwhile, the wax myrtles had grown quite large. Over the weekend I got in there with my loppers and cut numerous 4 and 5ft sections of wax myrtle out of the hedge - and was very sad to find that I had cut down a section containing a small bird's nest. thankfully empty.

Now according to the rules, I'm not allowed to put the yard debris out on the street until Monday morning. On Saturday afternoon when I was only 1/2 through with the surgery, I had a huge pile of trimmings. What to do with them? I'm not allowed to put them out on the curb, not allowed to leave them in the yard, hmm, what a dilemma. On Sat evening I piled them in the cart and towed them around to the back yard to hide them behind the house, but that was only a temporary solution as on Sunday I needed the cart again to pick up the rest of the trimmings. Now what? Was I actually going to unload all those 4-5ft sections of shrub behind the house plus 1 or 2 more carts full obtained on Sunday, only to have to load them all up again on Monday (after work when I was tired and it was almost dark) to drag them back out to the street? NO! So on Sunday I carted the whole mess out to the curb and dumped it there because I am not going to follow rules that are totally stupid! Later that day as I was working I noticed passersby eying my lawless, curbside bundle. Oh, well.

Not ranting mind you, just wanted to relay this extra part of the insanity.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I didn't feed the raccoons last night, BTW. Hey, they need to keep their hunting skills up, right? So once again I found myself creeping around the house in the dark as though hiding from unwanted visitors. I mean, I couldn't let them see me in there ignoring them, could I? What if I turned on the light and saw Heidi on the patio looking at me with those big, trusting eyes? Then I would have to go out there and feed her, so, you see, I had to sneak around my house in the dark all night.

Lyndonville, NY

ROFLMBO, I so understand. Sort of like me trying to go in the pantry....when I know I am out of catfood...and their dinner is late...but I need stuff for our dinner....and they hear the knob turn. Suddenly...there is a small herd of felines...glaring me down.

And they had roast beast for dinner...along with the family. Ugh.

Debbie

LOL, hey, I'm sure they didn't mind the roast beef! Wow, Cheryl, too much to put up with, for sure. Stoopid rooles made by stoopid fooles...

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

That is such a funny image of you creeping around the house in the dark so as not to upset the "poor starving never been fed in their whole lives" babies. Kind of brings to mind some of the old 3 stooges movies where they had just done something to get themselves into trouble and wanted to get out before they were found out. But ya know they were always "busted". Bet you were too but the 'coons were just to polite to let on. Remember when Dennis followed your dear doggy all over the place without him knowing? Kind of the same thing ----------

Lyndonville, NY

ROFLMBO. Today I had an experience of the human kind....with the human kids.

I was dying for chocolate. And I just knew the minute my kids heard me in a chocolate wrapper...they would be on me like white on rice. They can either sniff it out or something.

I went into the kitchen...in the same pantry I was trying to sneak into to not let the cats know I didn't have their food.....and shut the door. Yes, there is a lite in there.

All the sudden I hear "mom, Mom....MOM where are you?" I refused to answer. I had had only one bite......again "Mom!" Suddenly the door flies open and there I am with that look on my face......hehehe. "What do you want for dinner?" I ask my son.....stroll out and into the basement to put a load of laundry in. He says no more.

DH gets home. We are eating dinner. And my dear son says "oh by the way dad....Mom needs to see the doctor....she is an addict....hiding in the pantry eating chocolate....she needs therapy or rehab I tell you." I about spewed my ice tea all over the table. I thought DH was going to choke.

Yep, them kids...they know where we are...lite on or not.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hahhahaha. sputtering and choking on my coffee. When my son wa slittle, I used ot do the same thing, then he would here, so I would have to go to grocery store without him and try and sneak it on th eway home , always go tbusted cuz I woudl forget to hid ethe wrapper.

Cheryl.. can just imagien you layign ther eall night tryign not ot make a sound and hopign that if ya roll over heidi and the gang dont hear ya. hope they cant climb to yoru bedroom window and pick in or knock. hahahahhahaha

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I do so wish I had more time to talk. Loved all of your posts today. Good to know that I'm not alone in this kind of behavior. I wouldn't tell just anyone that I have to hide from the raccoons on my nights off, but I knew you 'guys' would understand.

Well, it has been quite a day. Believe it or not I just sat down for dinner about 20 min ago. After I write this, I'm going to bed. We have to be finished by Sept 30 so I worked late. I was nearly out of cat food, so had to make a grocery run on the way home. Had a fabulous night with the raccoons - have to tell you about it later though. Came in to find that one of Widget's eyes is swollen, bulging out, and a cloudy blue color. Looks awful. Had to rush him to ER. I swear we need should get the volume discount there. Grabbed a taco on the way home since Taco Bell is open late and I didn't have time to fix anything - and was starving.

I have no idea what happened to his eye. The ER vet was afraid he might have glaucoma or corneal tear due to some kind of trauma. The ran all manner of tests. Negative for glaucoma. Stained his eye and looked at it under some kind of light. No sign of a tear or even an abrasion. Very good news. But Dr was left without an explanation for why his eye is swollen this way. He says he's concerned. The pressure needs to go down in the next day or so or else Widget will need to see a specialist and maybe be hospitalized. He gave me a topical ointment to put in the eye 4x day. It is multi-antibiotic and contains steroids. He also gave Widget a shot of a serious narcotic pain killer. He said Widget had to be in considerable pain - even though the little guy is being quite a trooper. About 2 days ago I had noticed that Widget was panting when he's normally cold in the house with the AC on. At that time I didn't notice any swelling in the eye. Since I was so busy, I ignored the panting, but I remember thinking it was odd.

As for the raccoons, about 3 nights ago Dennis' kits started coming to the buffet in earnest. One night the little tykes just came down the fence and announced to the group that they were 'here' and 'hungry' - and they haven't looked back since. Don't know if they are that smart and gutsy or just that clueless, but that 1st night they walked right over to Heidi's dish, probably because it is closest to the fence. An adult female other than Dennis was eating from that dish - I think it was Cissy. The kits just walked up to her and started eating with her. She protested loudly and snapped at them a time or two, but they ignored her and went on eating. But for her behavior it looked almost as though they were her kits. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have never, ever seen kits behave in that manner. Don't know if they don't know any better due to lack of parental oversight or maybe they were just too hungry to care. Finally, the adult raccoon went after one of them to get her point across. She chased the kit, biting and snapping, snarling and clawing for a few feet, but he just went right back to the dish to eat. Finally, unable to get through to the kits and unwilling to harm them, the adult gave up her meal and walked away leaving the 2 kits to eat the food - and they have been eating ever since.

Each night I look for them to arrive. I save them some food and treats and do my best to stuff the little fellas. They have quite the appetites, too. The 1st 2 nights they appeared to be alone. At least, I didn't see Dennis around anywhere, nor did I see her when they finally left. It is good that they have each other. They stick together, eat together, and when they leave they huddle together in the tree. For such tiny tots they are doing an impressive job of fending for themselves though. It's been very busy at the buffet lately - tonight I made 2 trips back to the house for more food! But together those little guys have consistently managed to defend their food despite the crowd. Tonight Dennis actually came to dinner with them and even spent some time with them.

Well, as much as I'd love to talk more, discuss your posts and tell you more about what is happening at the buffet, it's after 3AM now so I must get to bed. We'll talk soon though. Promise.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Good to hear Dennis' little babies are doing well, and even fending for themselves.

as i know you will - Keep us posted on lil Widget's eye/progress.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Awwwwwwww poor Widget... my heart goes out to him. I wonder if he getting like a sty and all the rubbing and such is agrivating it.

Sure hope that it nothing serious. he didn't happen to get bit by an ant or spider or anythign did he or maybe stung by a bee or somethign while he was outisde. Give the poor tyke some extra loving from us.

Oh, so good to here Dennis's babies are coming, even if they are little piglets at the moment. Don't blame em. They got alot of catchingup to do before winter and with it being as cold as it was this morning, have no doubt it gonna be soon.

Good luck with yoru work, hope it all comes together soon and lets ya breath again for a moment or two.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese -- I've been SO happy to see those little tykes come down from that tree and start eating. Sorry to moan about Widget, but I just needed to tell someone. It was a heck of a day yesterday. 2AM or so was the 1st chance I had to sit down and catch my breath and just do nothing. Sure I sat down at the buffet, but that's hard work out there trying to pass out food fast enough to keep up with 20 or so hungry (very, very hungry, tetleytuna) raccoons. ; )

starlight -- I'm completely perplexed as is the vet as to what is wrong with Widget's eye. It actually seems as if the eye itself is swollen, as apposed to the surrounding tissue. At this point, the Dr is thinking either infection or allergic reaction, hence the prescrip for both antibiotics and steroids, the shotgun approach to reduce swelling. After that shot of Phentenal (sp?) he was definitely feeling no pain this morning.
Actually, I've been happy to see Dennis' kits come down and eat. I'm trying to get as much food into them as I can. Now about that "as cold as it was this morning" thing. LOL, not here. It was in the 70's here this morning. Gorgeous day.

Oops better get back to work.

Lyndonville, NY

I wonder if an insect could have stung him on the eye? you would think that would show up with the dye they use at the vet though. Poor baby.

Glad to hear Dennis' kids have come to the buffet and are feeding well.

Debbie

Oh, poor Widget! I will say a prayer for him to heal fast. Do keep us posted on his progress.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie -- You seem to be thinking along the same lines as starlight on this. I don't know. I guess that is possible. Don't know if signs of such a sting' would show up with the dye test or not. The Dr did mention allergic reaction (as is, i think, the reason we swell in response to insect stings) as a possibility.

KyWoods -- Thank you and all who have kept Widget in their thoughts and prayers. His eyes are normally a shiny, black color. Yesterday, the effected eye was a cloudy blue color. Upon seeing that I actually thought that he was or would be blind in that eye. The color along with the swelling was, as the Dr said, "very dramatic looking". The Dr said the cloudy color was indicative of fluid collecting in the eye. The Dr was clear that he was quite concerned for Widget's sight in that eye and that time was of the essence. He urged me to call or return promptly if Widget's eye showed any sign of worsening and get Widget to his regular vet within 2 days for follow up regardless.

Incredibly, and perhaps due as much to all of the positive energy generated by all of his friends here at DG as to the action of antibiotics and steroids, by the time I came home from work today the eye appeared visibly improved. Most notably, the color appears to be returning to normal. At least, that is how it looked when I checked it early upon arriving home from work. I will double check that later tonight but am fairly sure that it has improved. Whew!

Have to run right now to feed the raccoons. I think I hear Heidi calling me (non verbally) from the patio.

Thank you, Everyone!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL... one day they all will be out there banging on things to get your attention .... thinking of banging on pots & pans... but they dont have those... maybe the dishes on the 'scoot'.

have an enjoyable evening with the critters.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am so glad Widget is feeling better and hope his eye continues to heal.

Oh...hoping the best for Widget too.

Lyndonville, NY

Sometimes I think animals have telepathic abilities. You have no idea they are sitting there staring at you....but suddenly you come to attention and know they need food or something...and they are waiting...staring you down....and willing you to move. I think Heidi and the others do that with you....you always seem to know ahead of time when they need you....and their food.

I hope Widget continues to improve. Poor baby must have been so uncomfortable.

Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.