Red Rosies New Babies!!!

get yourself another glass of wine .
wow yes them panels area bit hard to transport. I put them in my truck and yeah watch out !. If one springs open , you toast ! WHAP right in the kisser.
Them chickens sound wonderful and already full of well..... you know..... LOL sperm bank chickens ! LOL sorry . My bad.
Man the CF really has been blessing you !! with good fortune .
Chicken lamps were in the catalog in the light dept.
i still might get them ? maybe lol
got to run

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

great job!

two things: OK THree":

don't upt eggs in bator right away, they nee dto sit for 24 hours after being laid...

the roo has those eggs covered for up to THIRTY DAYS...

and, be careful where you use the treated wood. ask a goat perosn, but i know goats like to chew wood now and then...

night

londonderry, Australia

australians dont lay eggs it is the canadians not us
(points accusing finger)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Apparently the Australians are embarrassed about their egg laying habit and try to put the blame onto others. ;-)

OK, I guess the egg I put in the bator yesterday will not go, since it wasn't out for 24 hours. Oh well, I live and learn.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here are my new serama girls...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Serama 1
she has the most white on her.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Serama 2 is all black.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And serama 3, with a little mottling

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And here is my lovely Chantecler, my fellow Canadian!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

She's a gorgeous chicken, if I may say so myself. Four months - hasn't laid yet.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
(Zone 7b)

How Big are the Serama's I've seen them only once and they are the smallest bantams i believe in the world?? I know i can't afford one because i checked price's and WOW!!!

Lodi, United States

Your eggs will probably be fine--letting them "rest" for 24 hours is just best practices.

Okay--where did you get your new birds? Did I miss something? Secret pack with the CF? Selling your soul?

Remember to quarantine. I know tf will say something and I don't want you to look silly. Not to mention the CF.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I know that I should quarantine, but quite honestly, I should not buy new birds when I have nowhere to quarantine them! That is why the chantecler is with 3 other birds instead of the whole flock. My 2 rabbit cages are in use by a poorly Polish and growing chicks. So the seramas had to go in with the OEG bantams. I know, bad practices. I am a very very bad girl.

I got the new birds from someone on BYC who was coming into town for the Des Moines Kennel Club show to show her PBGV dogs, and I had made that arrangement a couple of weeks ago when I still thought I'd get my new coop done in time. (hangs head) I didn't get it done.

The seramas are the smallest bantams but these are C grade and not A grade which means they are bigger than the ideal. Thus they are approximately the size of my OEG bantams. I was not looking for show birds, just something new to try out. :-)

(Zone 7b)

Thanks I had forgotton about the grades and i REALLY WANT ONE IT"S OFFICIAL "I'M JEALOUS"
):Harmony:(

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

harmony, silkiechick and Maineiac both started breedin them [grade A and AA Malaysian] this year. just ask to be put on their hatching egg list!

catscan is way aheda of me, ditto everything she said. that said...

I REMEBERED YOU WERE GETTING HTE SERAMAS...

i always watned a chantecler, she is gorgeous... yes i will fuss at you for getting more than you have space for, you must STOP now, or the CF will hate you! she is very fickle...

check freecycle, garagesales, etc for small pet carriers. at least a quarntine in one of those for a few days is better than just throwing them in... at the very least you should KNOW that each enviroment has it own "germs", and it takse adjustment for the safety of current AND new birds.

you could always use the carriers for the sick/injured too. i am currently using a borrowed have a heart trap for an indoor injured cage...

(Zone 7b)

Germs and virus's hide in feathers,droppings,sneeze's and can tranfer threw air,water,feather fluff,EGGS and used equipment, That includes wire, lumber, and all cages that have had any contact with birds and can even come from your own shoes. I'm friends with a state poultry inspecter and she has taught me to allways quarantine my birds. The only time i break this rule is if i personally know who and where they came from and that they have had no illness's never be afraid to ask about that i never buy or except a chicken that sits head down and it's eyes closed. All chickens should have glossy feather, clean feet and vents and have a kind of perky attitude. Please Quarantine

This message was edited Sep 7, 2008 12:30 PM

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I know, I know, I feel bad for not quarantining, but the pet carriers currently contain Rosie (who is still under quarantine) and the Polish with bad head problem and lice (also quarantined) and the babies are in the rabbit cage. The very worst that can happen from me not quarantining the seramas is losing the other bantams they are with, which are the ones who arrived in rough condition anyway (overgrown beaks, nails, lice). I check them constantly for recurrence of the lice. The very worst that can happen from me not quarantining the chantecler is the losing the 3 birds she is with. The main part of my flock is all in the larger coop, so they are not at any risk. I don't like putting any of them at risk, but I minimized the risk as best I could. Yesterday I bought a chick-n-hutch from the feed store to quarantine (well, just separate) the two light brahmas with terrible back feather problems. I just can't get them going again. I also bought a dog exercise pen and will put the larger chicks (8 weeks +) in it.

I got two more serama eggs today that are sitting downstairs beside the incubator for 24 hours, large end up.

you got an eggmobile !! that is sweeeeeet . is that what they are called . I seen them in the mags . Was thinking of one .
Them are some puuuurdy birdys you got there. Turning green with envy, clutching hands and banging head on comp with tears . LOL no not really but they are really sweet looking.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

It's just this:

http://www.cagesdirect.com/chicknhutch-p-1101.html?zenid=ec3ed8a2a8ec5228732d8035bbefdeac

It's not too fancy or anything but it will be nice for isolating sick or injured birds. I might also use it for my OEG trio after the light brahmas grow feathers because they pick on all the other banties.

I'm not sure if it's really an eggmobile. It's nice for the purpose I have in mind though. I thought I might copy it and adapt it a little and make a couple of bigger ones for bantams.

(Zone 7b)

They sell something just like that at tracter supply but its kind of expensive and it's a put together pen for rabbits. I wouldn't let it get wet and the wooden parts were a little unstable its more of a garage cage. I looked them over when they had them and for me it scored a solid D But i'm pickey but i wouldn't recommend them for rabbits that thin wood them thangs would be nawed thru in a week. I got rabbits that can naw clean thru a 2+4 !!! Chickens yea it would be good for a pair of bantams or baby chicks.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh, I totally agree Harmony. The materials are not that great and it's a little rickety. I just wanted something quick for my poor picked brahmas who have no back feathers. I hoped this would help them recover faster, and it lets me put salve on them more easily. I would give it a C or a C-, I think - the one aspect I really do like is the galvanized tray in the bottom - it'll make cleanup so easy. And I like the egg portal in the back. It was $130 which is a lot, but for me, the convenience and speed with which I could get it set up was key. It will also help me design similar ones which I will make with much better materials. The only thing I don't know how to duplicate is that tray. I think this one will last for a year or two and that's it. The version I will make will be cedar or similar so it won't rot and it will be better quality wood and probably I'll put casters on the bottom for easy moving.

(Zone 7b)

Do you have a walmart with a automotive department. Well i been lookin at these big metal oil pan things and even saw them today they always looked like a Huge cookie sheet to me. I been trying to figure out how to use them and i thought they would make perfect dropping pans. I could build a pen to fit it then transport chickens WITH NO MESS But these might be what your looking for.
They are in the auto section where the oil is.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow, that sounds just about perfect! Unfortunately, ethical concerns prevent me from shopping at Walmart unless I am TRULY desperate for something that I cannot get anywhere else. I have shopped there once in the past 6 years and still feel guilty about having done so. Anyhoo, I am sure that I could check out the automotive stores like Napa or somewhere else like that. I will take a look around, and if I can't find them anywhere else, I'll have to work up the mindset to shop at Walmart because it's for the chickens. But only because it's for the chickens!!!

I put the rickety cage together - it's OK for now. The two light brahmas are in it now. I put heavy dressings of rooster booster on them, in case they are picking their own feathers, plus I gave them a dose of VetRx in their water. Their backs are really warm and reddish pink - not white like the rest of their skin. I am quite concerned about them. I will see what the goat vet says on Thursday if he will look at them.

I got some more work on the next coop done today. Thanks heavens for Kelly's shopsmith. It's making the board cutting much easier. If it works well (this design, I mean), I might make another. Or an adapted version. I like to add my own twist!

I will have to see if either of the brahmas are actually laying eggs. If not, maybe they are sicker than I think.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

SO, i am not the only one boycotting the Waltons? cool...

i bet you can do a search on their site, to see what it looks liek, then get it somewhere else...

they can't lay and grow feathers at the same time. and it is the season for taking a laying break...

londonderry, Australia

who is the waltons??

Lodi, United States

I think it is code for WallyWorld aka Wallmart.

The actual Waltons were a fictional family who lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains of the southeaster US.

G'night Josh:0)

In the pic of the buff what is she comming out of ? i thought that is an eggmobile ?
the link you gave me helps too . I still have alot of coops to make .Dusty and i have out work cut out for us this fall
I think its just a type O on ehr part. Never heard it called that
Well i would boycott it as i do agree on their monstosity but here in the middle of nowhere its the only place to go at times. Unless i go to 3 different stores all of which are 20 miles apart sheesh country living at its finest eh ?
Once we get into he new home it won't be such a concern. Wally not my friend.
I love the Waltons show back in the day :)

(Zone 7b)

I'm not computer savy like the rest of you i have allways mostly looked up chickens and of course my passion the birds. Are yall refering to the urban sprawl that is created by large shopping stores.
If thats the case then yes i too disagree with big corporation invadeing our natural enviroments and ecosystems i disspise urban sprawl. Like taynors i too live where theres not many choices to shop!
We had a wonderful small family oriented wally here and they flattened a cotton field and built a super wally i miss the home town store feel of the old one.

Is Rosie still doing her thing ? with the wood chips ?
funny little girl she is. :) hehehe

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Now I see Taynors - I thought you were talking about the new chick-n-hutch I got. You were talking about the Eglu!

Yes, the buff is in an Eglu that I got. www.omlet.us Their US distributor is right here in Iowa so I avoided the $170 shipping fee for it by picking it up at the distributor! Yay!
I think you could call that an eggmobile. It's way cool. They also make a cube version but you can't get it in the US yet, but it's bigger and will fit more birds. I can't wait till they are here.

Re: Walmart. Yes, I despise the urban sprawl aspect, but I dislike Walmart's methods. They go into a place, often a place that doesn't want them there, and because of their low prices they end up shutting down all the local stores that are run by local people, and divert the town's economy into a mega-corporation. Then, the little local stores don't exist any more and the locals have to turn to the Walmart for jobs. They have a history of mistreating their employees too. They sometimes then shut down the stores that don't make enough money, meaning that the smaller towns have to rebuild from ground zero because all the other little stores had to shut down, so then they have nothing left when Walmart leaves, and they have to re-establish their own businesses, which is expensive and difficult. It's a terrible burden on the town and more often than not, they all would be better off if the original locally owned enterprises had continued to exist and if Walmart had never shown up.

So, I won't shop there. They are very bad for rural development, sustainability, and employee treatment.

Lodi, United States

Not to mention the bullying demand for "eminent domain" whenever they want a piece of land.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

and cheap, you get what you pay for. people get poor spending their paycheck there. then the junk gets thrown away and replaced, not good for the landfill. i used to have a Wally World soapbox, but i can't find it...

Lodi, United States

I always wear a bag over my head,when I go--so no one can see me shopping at Wallmart. Because sometimes you just have to--and then you see how low the prices are and find yourself sorely tempted.

But generally I try to refrain.

Oh thats what they are called Eggloo's oh kay. :) i counldn't remember the name of them. They are cool. ! lucky ducky you are for not having to pay for that shipping .
To bad that people don't stand up to wally. shame really. We all pay for it in the end somehow. :(
I just don't fit in there clothes or shoes really. To narrow and always to short for me. Gee to bad for me huh ? lol :)

londonderry, Australia

is wallmart international what sort of stuff do they have

Clarkson, KY

Don't know how int'l, but yes. They are the magical everything store. Food to furniture to fabric to fish to antifreeze.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Tonight I am going to post photographs of the Harmony method of sexing chicks. I did some this morning. Will finish up tonight. I'll put the resulting photos and guesses in a new thread. There is a definite tendency even with repeat flipping. One question, Harmony - what does it mean when they keep both feet in to their body, even when they are relaxed. Gender unknown? LOL...

Clarkson, KY

Gender undecided, maybe...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Gender conflicted, even. :-)

(Zone 7b)

You will have a couple do that and you can try again later if they repeat it than it's up for grabs as to what they are. Allso be careful not to over flip or you may get a negative result from them being overly frightened and they could just stick out whatever leg. As long as you pick it up and turn it over without much fuss the first attempt should give you a result and if you doubt it try a little later.
The man told me he was taught to do this because back then they wanted to sex out the pullets for laying and they didn't do vent sexing as he put it all them hens will stick out that right foot every time. He would pick them up and turn it over and say yep shes a keeper.

How is it working can you definately tell by this method an is'nt it so fasinateing to see them stick thier legs strait out and then pick up one and it just stick out the one leg.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.