Red Rosies New Babies!!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are bringing to you LIVE new babies from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/873924/

These Chilluns are a lovely new hatch coming to you courtesy of the deevine Miss Red Rosie in IA, who is the beautiful prospective adoptive Momma...

Please enjoy the photos to follow...courtesy of Red Rosies Momma, CMoxon...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thanks for hte new thread. now, since you didn't bring the hot toddies along, i will crash for the night. hope to hear from Claire soon!

Geeeesh dear.. I'm still mixin 'em!! ^_^

Right behind ya...long past time for this ole Great Granny!!
Even the Dawgs dun left me and headed fer mah bed!! Bet there ain't 3 inches of it left fer me!!....LOL

Hugggs!!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well I went down at 2:30 am, slightly more shell bits off.

I went down at 4 am, not much change.

I just went down and...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

My first chickie!!! Woooo Hooooo!!!

(uh oh....white spot on the head...)

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is another shot under the Brinsea "cozy chick" brooder lamp.

He (she?) is drying out right now on a piece of fleece that came from the cheap section of the fabric store. I used to buy it for my bunny's bed but she went over rainbow bridge a couple of years ago and I still have all this fleece. I thought it would be warm and comfy for chickie.

No, we are not Dallas Cowboys fans. :-)

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Now I have to go start reading my books about what to do....food, water, all that jazz...

YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! SHE is adorable!!!!

Has Rosie seen her yet??? I wonder what she would think of all the Pipping??

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh gosh Claire that is so neat. Just keep them warm.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

None of the other eggs are pipping yet.

Rosie hasn't seen her. The thing that worries me about Rosie is that she's an egg eater. I don't know what she would do with a chick. I am a little worried about that option...

I am just so excited I am doing the Rosie chicken stomp dance!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh and I clean forgot - thank you Dusty for setting up the new thread for me! I never would have thought of that in my muddled state right now!

You are more than welcome my dear....My pleasure!! I just didn't want anyone to miss the big event!!...

You never know with Rosie...A chick isn't an egg, and you could try to intro them and see how she does... she just may suprise you...

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes I bet she would take some of them and make it easier on you.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

HE is gorgeous, great job! When you get the next pip peeping loudly, bring Rosie in and see what her response is... if she broods those chicks, AND follows you around the yard, you will have some nice behaving chicks!

How eggciting !!! yeah for Rosie and Cmoxon. How wonderful. !!
Wow you guys are bad :) sheesh i crashed at 9:30 pm last night . I m a wuss. LOL
I bet rosie will be a great mama hen.
weeeeee i do the football dance tooooooooo weeeeeeee

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

TF, since Rosie is a confirmed egg eater (I've watched her do it!) don't you think she would just whack at the egg and probably hurt the baby? Even when I bring eggs from the other girls, if she sees me coming with an egg, she is always trying to get at it.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Congrats!! On the new baby! Ooo, I hope you try Rosie out as TF suggested-if you do let us know how she takes to the chickies! Keeping my fingers crossed more peeping.

Don't feel bad sue! I went to bed at 8:45 but was wide awake at 4:15!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I wonder if she had only her eggs sometimes as a source of food since she is so aggressive towards the sight of an egg.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

It wouldn't surprise me Sandy - she was so skinny when I got her. It took her 10 days to start laying. But I bet before she stopped, she always ate her eggs.

Here is a new thread I made with updated pics of Rosie from this morning.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898023/

Very sweet looking babies. I have 12 Rhode Island Reds that lay eggs. One of them isn't doing the greatest though. I have nicknamed her Momma. She's really over weight and her hips are really out of whack but I have no intention of doing anything to her. I'm not sure if she's laying eggs or not. I get about 10 eggs a day out of 12 chickens. They are my babies.
Question for anyone who could help, how do you prevent them from knocking over their waterer?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Intrigue - if you're talking about the waterer for the adult laying hens, I would say one of two things:

1) My adult hen waterer holds 3 gallons and is too heavy for them to tip over - it's even heavy for me to carry! Therefore, my first idea is get a bigger waterer. My 3 gallon ones came from the feed store for about $20 apiece I think.

2) Suspend the waterer slightly above the ground - gets less messy and won't fall over. Hang it from a beam in the barn or building you have them in.

Claire

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I have 3 eggs the same color as the first one that hatched. They all appear to be at the same stage, roughly. None are pipped but I can hear peeping inside one of them. They all have a lot of movement in them and big, big air cells. I think that might make for 3 more hatches in the next few days. The other eggs that I think are viable are blue ones (the hatching ones right now are brown) and the air cells are not as large and I don't see the same kind of movement.

Claire

Thank you CMoxon. Mine is a 1 gallon water. I'm thinking about putting something under it to have it higher up. My feeder hangs from a rafter so it can't make a mess. Thanks for the help.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

All dry now!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Nice warm hand...can I just stay here for a while?

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

Ok, when do you start to do this process? I have one chicken who I call squack because she loves to lay on the eggs and really doesn't want you to touch them. I know I would have to find a rooster of the same kind because I only want R.I.R's.

Ohhhhh Claire....HE is precious!!! I want him ..... LOL

Waaay back when I used to have all of these wavs on the puter.. I remember one that said something like **You are so cute..I just want to put you in a cage, lock you up and keep you forever** I think his name is Mortimer...He looks like a Morty...LOL

How is the Goat barn coming along?? We need pics ya know!!!

The blue eggs might be alot younger than your brown ones...I sure hope they do okay...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Houston, we have a second pip. I repeat, second pip is progressing without a hitch. All systems currently functioning normally. Over and out....

(goat barn has a roof on it! Yay!)

Lodi, United States

Roger, Moxon.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Are we cleared for zipping, Catscan? Any adverse conditions we should know about?

Lodi, United States

All clear--high pressure from Gustav may alter pipping pattern. Tracking you on HD doppler. Keep on current course.

Let us know when the Eagle has landed.... ^_^

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Currently on track for successful hatching. Presently holding course with pipping and taking a rest break...

If hatching is male, permission to name Gustav?

Will be in touch, Houston! Continued with plan to use alternate hatching site in Iowa based on Gustav pressure system difficulties on the coast.

Lodi, United States

A OK on Gustav.

Tropical storm Hanna, disorganized but building off Florida coast, may affect blue egg hatching. Suggest alternate Iowa site be readied for later pips as well.

Out.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ten Four Catscan. Stay tuned...

ROFLAOLLLLL
you gusy cwack me up
Roger on Gustuv . Are we clear for a landing yet ?
Dusty i hear the CF calling our names !

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Pip holding steady. Landing staff experiencing some frustration. Fellow hatchee is most persistent in his desire to be held at all times. Needs fellow hatchees to be happy. CF assistance in continuing hatch strongly recommended.

Prospective mother tested with single hatchee. Prospective mother had other ideas and ran away when presented with little cheeping bundle of fluff. Prospective mother may be unaware of the fact that she is a chicken....

LOL poor Rosie
i am picturing Henny Penny when the sky fell and she was running to tell the king LOL poor thing . :(
Are there any books you can read to hear ? So she can see what a chicken is supposed to do . ?
oh the poor thing. She might warm up later . I hope so.

Lodi, United States

Attention Commander Moxon:

CF directives received 17:14:

Flight member Rosie not accredited for brooding. Abort attempt.

Flight staff morale holding steady; do not thwart hatchee team leader Gustav's attempt at pip coaching.

Ground control returning to atmospheric monitoring. Course correction not called for at this time.

Over.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Copy, Captain Catscan. Brooding attempt aborted at this time.

Flight staff proceeding with chicken lullaby songs to improve morale regarding hatchee.

Continued monitoring of temperature and humidity settings will occur during singing sessions. No cause for alarm at this time.

Proceeding with Agent Taynors plan of reading "Chicken Little" to Rosie. Will observe for signs of broodiness.

Holding...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.