A trip to the Iowa State Fair in photographs

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Did you see the chicken show Tigerlily? Or did you go on a different day? I went twice - once for the chicken show and again for the bunny show. :-)

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

Let's see, the "scary looking" ones are modern gamebirds--I've never had any, but they are supposed to be incredibly nice and personable.

The first one you thought was maybe spangled is a golden campine, and that is a form of barring. Then there was a mottled and a splash--but I don't remember which order they were in. Mottled had a spot at the end of each feather. Splash is rather random and irregular dark blue/black markings. The very last was actually spangled--much more precise circles than mottling.

Oh, and while hte tag did look like it said "star" it was probably supposed to be "silver."

Oh, the white bird with black hackles and tips of her tail near the beginning of your show is a light brahma.

Thanks for hte pics!
Suze

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I just picked a day to go and then became overwhelmed by the Fairness that is the Fair. I didn't expect it to be SO big! I happened to see the draft horses line up for the show which was breathtaking. I made a point of seeing the bunnies but I don't know much about chickens so I missed them. I dragged my husband to the knitting and other needlework exhibits but mercifully did not force him to stay long. I did get to see the butter Shawn Johnson too. :)

TL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.