I ignore them!
(25 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Other?
(84 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Chichester, NY

Dahlias produce nuts??? I'll have to plant some !!

The problem with invasives is that the general population remains absolutely clueless about environmental, toxic pollution and nutritional issues. While I campaign locally to raise consciousness, people simply don't want to hear it because corporate interests remain in control of their consumption/purchasing through years of advertizing/brainwashing -- call it indoctrination with a sense of entitlement -- and most are simply ill-equiped to even understand the issues. And in a country where the government is totally controlled by capitalist entities: pollution, environmental destruction and ill-health are all either derived from profit-making schemes or present profit-making opportunities. They fit the capitalist model.

So, I'm sure that government inaction on such a seemingly small issue as invasives can be expected until each issue gets as big as Kudzu in our south.

Are there movements in your area to control the bellflower?

Chichester, NY

Lilimerci: forgive me but -- free strawberries? -- what a great groundcover around your other plants !! I have wild strwberries all over the place. They are small and delightful. Last year I put in some everbearings here and there just HOPING they'd establish themselves around the blueberry bushes and raspberry canes.

I think you should give up, bake some biscuits and whip some cream, or if it's REALLY bad open up a little farm stand ! You'd probably spend less time and energy harvesting and selling than with the measures you've been employing to get rid of them.

Or I could send you some of my Catskill Mountain slugs, which should end the issue for you once and for all ! But then you'd probably never have anything to mow again either. That's one thing to be said about the desert...

It's always one thing or another, isn't it?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

We have Japanese knotweed here in the Pacific Northwest also. It is beautiful. Our county weed board is working on inoculating all they can afford. The Master Gardeners also put out the information as much as possible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.