Blooming in August

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Didn't see that anyone had started a new thread yet for August...

I found this cute plant at a local farm stand Ptilotus exaltatus "Joey", also known as Pink Mulla Mulla. It's an Australian native. It's supposed to like full sun and excellent drainage. I also have abutilon in the pot and straw flower.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I like it- probably even better because of where you found it. I also love that colorful globe finial.

My newest blooms are from Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata'

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

daylily 'Lemon Berry Frost' rebloom

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Royal Flycatcher is a late bloomer

Thumbnail by chamthy
Smithfield, NC

I've said it before but it bears repeating -- Lemon Berry Frost is yummy. That's a beautiful picture of Royal Flycatcher.

Noid daylily.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey is adorable, which farm stand has interesting plants like that ???????

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

very pretty, y'all! Jenny the pot is lovely! I like putting pots in borders, too.

Smithfield, NC

Marie Pavie

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

White Swan

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Dinnerplate hibiscus

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Pineland hibiscus

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Sorry the last file is so big -- is there a way to edit photos?

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I wouldn't worry too much about loading a large file size. All of the thumbnail pics are sized by DG I think. I'm pretty used to it taking a while to load the full image if I click on it. I size down alot to cut down on upload time. For some reason I have less patience for that. i went looking to see what I could find out about posting pics here and so far I've found this-http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/395080/

I like the Pineland hibiscus. I haven't grow that before. How is it with the insect problems? I stopped growing H. moscheutos because something was always eating it.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/395080/

I'll try again for the hyperlink

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes dave's resizes.

If you run XP they have a power toy that can simply resize images for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

Also many programs like the canon one can resize pictures for e-mail or to save to a file.

Smithfield, NC

Thanks for the links.

I haven't noticed much insect damage on the Pineland Hibiscus. The leaves have a rough texture and are finely divided (you can tell them very well in the big pixture, they're in focus rather than the flower lol), and it's native to dry sand.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Sounds perfect for my back yard :)

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Hey Ardesia, I got the plant as I crossed onto St. Helena Island. Gee, who do I know who lives there? :) I went to buy some of their gorgeous pots of zinnias; the lazy persons way to garden. Just let them reseed all over your yard.

The things that are looking pretty today, are things I didn't plant! This is a picture of blue pea vine which is blooming all along my pasture fence. Someone long ago probably planted it as a cover crop since it's a legume.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Sunflower planted by the birds.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

And I need to figure out what this is, but it's all along the road sides around here. Very pretty this time of year.

At the same farm stand they had the most unique heirloom tomatoes. The one I really liked was burgundy in color with forest green streaks and rather squatty. When I cut into it, all the seeds and pulp were located in the outer 20% of the tomato on the edge. Really weird; yummy though.

Ah, St. Helena Market, a truly funky but wonderful place. I have to shield my eyes from the plants when I go in there because it can really take a long time to pick up a few tomatoes when there are so many other things to look at. LOL Guess I need to stop and check out Gary's plants more often. BTW, Gary LOVES flowers and will go out on a financial limb just to have lots of colorful flowers there, even if he can't sell them.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Haven't managed to get a really good shot of it yet, but this is the first bloom on my Candy Lily (pardancanda norissii if memory is working).
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

What interesting coloration (is that a word?) on that one. I love it Deb.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Nicccce, Deb! Gee...I'll be waiting, lol!

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I love it! Gotta have me some of those,LOL.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

pardancanda norissii ??? I like that one. Might have to track one down.

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Ditto, Deb. That's gorgeous.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, gee guys! Now I REALLY have to get a good photo of it. LOL.
Deb

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

does anyone know what this? It just started springing up from no where in the pot I received a Sago Palm in at the Asheville round up...thanks!

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Nicotania glauca 'salta blues' in the foreground and behind it is Eupatorium fistulosum both PDN finds a few weeks back...

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Trumpet Lily getting ready to bloom...another week or two...love the way this one smells...really fragrant....

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

and the morning glories have finally overtaken the Pesto Basil....time to train them outta the herb wheelbarrow....

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Chamthy - i really like your royal flycatcher! now if we could cross that with a venus flytrap what a coolio name we could get outta the two of them LOL

sweetbay your white swan is truly beautiful!

Debin your candy lily is simply awesome! have you tried growing any from seed? I have some I grew from seed but they are def. not the same color as the parent plant LOL the parent is creamsicle orange and the babes are a pretty pastel yellow....but hey I just feel lucky they grew ya know!

Congratulations on your "retirement". It is too darn hot to be outdoors this year.

I think that mystery plant is that little native poinsettia; I can't remember it's name right now.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rednyr: No, I haven't tried growing them from seed. This is the first of mine to ever bloom. Last season was the first and they just had foliage. Anyway, I'm going to try and start some from this one's seeds just for fun to see what happens.
Deb

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone,

I just found this Carolina forum. I live in Ellerbe, NC. Small little town about 10 miles North of Rockingham. Lots of absolutely nothin' out here. LOL I grow a little bit of everything and really love my daylilies.

Today my Fuschia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' is really putting on a show. It's not cold hardy but it certainly can take the heat and sun.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Av ocd girl!
I went to college in Laurinburg, so I know where Ellerbe is. Welcome to the Carolina gardening forum!
That sure is a bunch-o-red blooms on that fuchsia! Beautiful!

Dahlias are going strong, despite the 104 degree heat today!!!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Smithfield, NC

Turk's Cap Lily

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Dahlia grown from seed received in a trade from Montreal Quebec. Luckily they are heat tolerant.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Love that pic of the lily. I may have to try some true lilies either in bottomless pots or above ground.

Both Dahlias are very pretty. It really is amazing to see them so pristine in this heat.

Welcome av ocd girl! In case you couldn't tell I am a daylily addict so we have that love in common.

Shari

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.