Summer-time alpines...alpines of July

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Allium beesianum is suppose to be a hard one to find the actual true species. I couldn't tell a real one from an imposter, but yours sure looks wonderful!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Very nice, June!
Here's a slightly belated pic of Hieracium villosum (mostly done blooming now)... When they're in bloom, I imagine the passersby assume I missed weeding out some dandelions... but I like 'em!

Thumbnail by altagardener
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Bad news June. your beesianum is most likely sikkimense. There are three fine blue allium...I have cyaneum which is not blooming yet. The stamens extend beyond the tepals on that one. The other two are beesianum and sikkimense, which appear very similar. Here is the tricky part. Sikkimemnse blloms in June in the UK while beesianum blooms in September. I know Ontario can have good weather but I doubt you would be ahead of the UK, especially with the cooler than normal spring you had this year. Beesianum also reaches 30 cm while sikkimense is about 20 cm. Yours loks on the small side, again tending towards sikkimense as the ID. Mind you, it is still a beauty and you should save seed (I NEED sikkimense too!). But Rick is correct is stating that the real beesianum is difficult to find.

Great to here that the allium flavums did so well! I separated all mine last summer while they were in full bloom. They took the transplanting without missing a beat. Now I have clumps of solid colours which looks better than the mixed clumps (at least to me they do!)

Lori I tried that Hieracium from seed this spring but nary a seed germinated.

My Geranium magniflorum bloomed! This dainty species is from South Africa so I never imagined it would survive our winters. The foliage is extremely fine and filigree. The entire plant only 10 cm tall.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Studio shot of my Leontopodium which is peaking now...I need to get a normal shot of it!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and the last Aquilegia species is blooming...A. chaplinei

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Geranium magniflorum does fine here too, amazingly... given it's South African provenance. I have 'La Veta Lace'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.