Summer-time alpines...alpines of July

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I can't compete with all the lovelies already posted, but I have a few humble July flowers to contribute. The first is (I think) Allium forrestii. I'm sure Todd will know if it's really something else!

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

This plant I got last year, and it is now flowering for the first time. It's Ebenus longipes, according to the supplier. I had been hoping for an orangey-red flower, but it's closer to magenta, unfortunately. My color scheme is now wrecked. Sigh!

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

This well-behaved little Sedum is labeled S. sichotense, but I have not been able to verify the name. It is non-spreading, but strong enough to survive being surrounded by various creeping thymes.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

June, that allium is actually cyathophorum var. farreri..and it self-seeds like the dickens! Dead-head it immediately after the flowers finish!

I really like that little pink legume!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Your sedum reminds me of S. middendorfianum.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

June, my goodness, I hope it doesn't seem like a competition! For me, believe me, it's an education! And you know what? I haven't even heard of any of your plants, so post on, please!

Ebenus... sheesh, I have to go look that up! The wonderful world of plants, hey?

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the ID on the Allium. I'd be happy if it would seed itself, but it's been flowering for three years now with nary a seedling in sight! There's no other Allium flowering near it, so could that be why it never sets seed?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

June, here's a detailed description of A. forrestii, if you want to compare: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200027479

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the link. I suspect that my plant is a hybrid, as the nurseryman I got it from grows his stock from seed.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Lots blloming now......common but showy Gypsophila repens

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Silene maritima 'Ice Cups'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Diminutive Incarvillea forrestii

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula patula

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A new one--Campanula tatrae...looks like a small version of rotundifolia to me!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Lewisia glandulosa

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

the real Lewisia longifolia...parent to the hybrids Little Plum, Pinkie and Little Peach

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula pilosa

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Oxalis 'Ute'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and I'll end this session with Oxalis 'Ione Hocker'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous everyone!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Gorgeous indeed!
A couple from here:
A hardy perennial snapdragon starting to bloom, Antirrhinum molle, I think. But I've changed my mind so many times over the years... A. molle?, A. sempervirens? I dunno. It was bought as what I assumed would be annual bedding plants- 'Gummy' variety - but they lived on.

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Some form of Scutellaria alpina:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Phyteuma scheuchzeri:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Pretty tall for the rock garden, but here's Codonopsis mollis. (I get a kick out of the skunky odor of codonopsis. And I find this quite funny too... I have a vining codonopsis that I've had for years but have never seen bloom... as soon as it gets tall enough to vine, it dives into the adjacent viburnum. I've only seen it's dried skeleton in winter, LOL!)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Mildly interesting... a white-flowered form of Oxytropis splendens:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Dianthus pavonius:

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I like that snapdragon for sure! and Dianthus usually make a great show. I am almost caught up to you as my Phyteuma, Codonopsis and Dianthus are about a week from blooming.

Here is my potted Lewisia columbiana var. rupicola.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A little Penstemon sown as P. paysonorum

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and a bright blue one sown as P. rydbergii but I expect it's really P. virgatus.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

helps to attach the pic!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Native to rocky slopes in the Caucasus, apparently... Stachys discolor:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Possibly Penstemon cyaneus... but possibly also just a nice blue variant of the penstemon (hybrid?) that seeds throughout my yard, usually in a wide range of pinks-purples. More keying-out to do...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Rich purple colour on Campanula collina - from the Caucasus, again, to Armenia and Turkey, in meadows and rocky soils at 1600-2300m elevation (Graham Nicholls, Dwarf Campanulas):

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Campanula betulifolia, from Armenia, Turkey and, hey!, the Caucasus, in limestone and volcanic rock crevices at 250-2280m elevation. (As you can see, I'm really enjoying Nicholls' book - discovered that the Caucasus is incredibly rich in plant life, and is the "epicenter" for Campanula!)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Edelweiss, Leontopodium alpinum; quite a very tough, undemanding plant here - it occasionally wilts a bit in "hot" weather, but revives immediately with a little water:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Sempervivum arachnoides:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Not alpine, but rock garden-ish, at least... Helianthemum nummularium 'Ben Nevis':

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Great stuff! I just got back from am alpine plant collecting trip in northern Newfoundland...got two iceboxes of new plants for our crevice garden at work. Among the plants were Salix reticulata, S. arctophila, S. calcicola, S. glauca, S. vestita, Dryas integrifolia, Silene acaulis, Erigeron hyssopifolius, Solidago multiradiata, Draba norvegica, Arenaria longipes, Arnica lonchophylla, Saxifraga oppositifolia, S. aizoides, S. paniculata, S. caespitosa, Primula laurentiana, Anemone parviflora, Alchemilla minor..and a few others I can't recall! I'll post some pics of the great alpines I saw there once I get them organized.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow!! Looking forward to it!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Just started sorting the pics...it was extremely windy during the trip and most pics are somewhat blurred...a real pain. Here is the clearest pic of Saxifraga paniculata...amazed that it was growing in a bed of moss!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.