Summer-time alpines...alpines of July

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This is Bartsia alpina, a hemiparasite. It occurs in northern Europe but the only place in North America for this velvety beauty is northern Newfoundland.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A huge Silene acaulis...a testimony to the arctic-like climate in this part of Newfoundland is the fact that it is still blooming in mid-July.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Todd, we sure are lucky that you chose DG to participate in. You bring so much more than just pretty pictures.

A sessile, toothed and opposite leafed Baptisia?

Edited:
OOPS! - Baptisia, Bartsia. My eyes see what they want to see.
Sorry about that.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2008 9:32 AM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This area is covered in Pyrola asarifolia

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rubus arcticus is pretty common too.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Saxifraga cespitosa

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rhodiola rosea

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is typical scenery on our limestone barrens where these beauties live.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
somewhere, PA

these are just amazing specimens. That Silene Acaulis is huge!

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

Hi all! Newbie here- and your flowers are beautiful! I am not sure if where I am is really alpine- although I can grow them with a little supplemental moisture- we are high plains/foothills and lots of wind, very cold in winter- hot in summer. Most of my 'gardens' are really rock gardens, as that is what I have to work with and they all need to be 'horse proof', and most horses don't want to walk over rocks to eat something other than grass. Anyway- here is my still blooming Gaura coccinea- which I have in profusion all over our property and has become one of my favorites:

Kathy

Thumbnail by KathyCoRanch
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I really like Gaura coccinea! They grow in profusion along the (slightly disturbed edge of the) bike path through the semi-natural park I cycle through... wide range of pinks (in varying intensity) to orangey colors. I always plan to collect seed of the more vividly colored ones, but the strip right along the path always gets mowed while they're in full bloom!

Welcome to the forums, Kathy! Alpine or not, you're in better area than a lot of us (like me in Minnesota). Nice pic too. I'd never heard of Gaura coccinea before. To me, it looks a lot nicer than the gaura they sell as regular perennials (Gaura lindheimeri).

Todd, the limestones barrens shot is really interesting. As you probably thought, I had now idea.

I've seen pictures of Rhodiola rosea being more lax in the Alaskan landscape coastal-ish I think), producing the "king's crown" effect. Would that be due to the environment, or is it a different form from that of northern NL?

And is that a Betula nana in the Pyrola pic?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure if our Rhodiola is a differnt subspecies or not...ours are always upright. The birch is Betula pumila...very similar to B. pumila.

Finding Cypripedium parviflorum still in bloom was a bonus!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

In the mountains here, Rhodiola rosea is never more than a (EDIT) couple of inches or so tall (see pic), and always appears red-flowered (although the flowers are sexually dimorphic somehow, with both red and yellow flowers, right?) In my trough, they are a robust 12" tall... multi-stemmed and yellow-flowered!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 9:52 PM

Thumbnail by altagardener
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Our natives are always yellow (male) but females may be reddish, but not as red as the ones you show! Here is a shot with both males and females.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Coolness.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

A few meager offerings from my garden...
Erodium petraeum ssp. crispum, starting to bloom; of course, the interesting thing will be whether it winters over or not...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Androsace lanuginosa:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Gentiana lutea:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Onosma stellulatum - finally blooming after I've-lost-count-how-many years!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Interesting foliage, not-so-spectacular flowers on Geranium sessiflorum nigricans. (Again, this plant is just from this spring, but I expect it should be hardy.)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Not so meager Lori! Some choice stuff. We have that geranium at our BG..it is a bit weedy.

My rockery is currently overrun with Allium cyathophorum farreri (pink). the blue is campanula patula and Dracocephalum tanguticum while the large yellow patch is Eriophyllum lanatum.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A gem I grew from seed...Cremanthodium arnecoides...it is slug fodder.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Erica cinerea 'Atropurpurea' is peaking now

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Lovely photo!

Edit: Make that photoS! (I posted at the same time as other photos were coming up, LOL!)

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 4:48 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Another choice alpine...Delphinium kamaonense

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Codonopsis clematidae...really too tall for the rockery but from alpine regions nonetheless

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula cochlearifolia runs all over the place!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and its peak time for all the forms of Campanula carpatica

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula garganica 'Dickson's Gold'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
somewhere, PA

wow! such vivid colors.

Boy, and I thought my Onosma alboroseum was unprecocious! But when I look at my records, they only took three years from seed. At the end of the first season 2006, I thought they were easily large enough to bloom in 2007. I guess it just seemed like forever . . . .

First blooms in 2008:

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Well I can't even grow Onosma..they turn to mush in winter.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hey, I have one flower on my Silene acaulis in a trough, whoohoo! (I'll be merciful and spare you the picture of it, LOL!)

Lithodora oleifolia has been reblooming lightly:

I hear ya. I think I had a total of four this year on a 2 inch(5cm) diameter plant, one or none the year before, but two when it was only a half inch(1.3cm). I had such high hopes. . .

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Look what I noticed yesterday! Coryphantha sulcata... just planted this spring, so I can't take any credit for it, however, LOL! (Beaver Creek does sell excellent quality plants, though, I must say.)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Campanula x carpatica 'Thor-Pedo':

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I've been waiting and waiting for Allium beesianum to flower. It was in bud for weeks, but it has finally turned blue! Bye the way, Todd, the Allium flavum mix that you kindly sent me seed of has flowered this year in lovely ocher, yellow, and peach shades. I'm amazed that bulbs grown from seed would flower so soon - they were like grains of rice when I planted them in the garden a few months ago.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Gentiana septemfida flowers have just opened. I thought the drought last summer had killed this plant, but it came back!

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Last and possibly least, Sedum pluricaule 'Rose Carpet' (according to the label). It lacks the vigor to actually form a carpet, and for most of the year just blends into the gravel, except for when the bright rosy pink flowers start to open.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.